Options

[Chat]elaide United

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Preacher wrote: »
    Left 4 dead looks so awesome. It's standalone right?

I believe so, yes. Me and 3 buddies are going to rock it up in November when it comes out.

RonaldoTheGypsy on
  • Options
    stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Haphazard wrote: »
    also, a Thor movie with Asgardian gods making Shakespearean speeches can only be excellent
    Dost thou really thinketh liketh thateth?
    angrymexh5.jpg

I hate this sort of thing so much.
    i'm fairly sure he knows that "eth" is not just a suffix you attach to every word to make it into "old english"

fairly sure
    Yes, but it’s a pet peeve.

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    L4D is going to be so awesome. I hope that the AI really (effectively) does what they say it does with the automatic adjustment of difficulty to keep the game suspensful and fun but not impossible and such.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don't blame anyone for dropping from Thief 3 at the Cradle. The Cradle is probably the scariest fucking part of a video game ever made.

I'd like for more FPSs to go the horror route and provide you with the immersion and aiming control of the FPS genre, with the ammo conservation and general feeling of helplessness/desperation of horror/survival games.

I dunno condemned tried to go the horror fps route with limited bullets and it just felt meh at points. Though condemned also had some of the worst light/dark in a game in recent memory and was a chore to play.

Making a good horror game is a fine art. The key is immersion, and just enough challenge to make you feel like you're always at the brink of death or doom, without actually killing you (because that takes you out of the experience).

Half Life 2 managed to do it at points, when I had limited ammo and I was dealing with various kinds of horrifying headcrab zombies (the poison and fast kinds, specifically).

A game where you're fighting zombies, traditional staggering zombies, with far less ammo than there are zombies, is a fascinating idea; you can't kill them all, and you can run away, but you can also get cornered if you're not careful. As an FPS it would be very freaky.

Part of why the Cradle is so fucking terrifying is that in addition to the greatest horror level design in the history of video games, you are also a fairly fragile character with limited weaponry and toughness.

I think left 4 dead seems to have the right approach, give you enough ammo to make you feel secure, and then enough zombies to make you know that you are one screwed dude.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    L4D is going to be so awesome. I hope that the AI really (effectively) does what they say it does with the automatic adjustment of difficulty to keep the game suspensful and fun but not impossible and such.

You going for the pc version gooester?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Ugh, I wish I hadn't downloaded that fifa demo. So disappointing.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    well that was basically retarded
    San Diego has poo poo jobs

ok somebody name someplace warm that has a decent job market. I want to move

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I think so. I'm afraid that I'll have some trouble with it but my PC runs TF2 and everything else Source-based okay so maybe not.

Anyway, I look at the gameplay videos and think to myself "I can't imagine having to shoot things this fast with a gamepad."

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    but seriously there are no real words for how retarded that was

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Did you get out of it?

stilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Yeah, I think so. I'm afraid that I'll have some trouble with it but my PC runs TF2 and everything else Source-based okay so maybe not.

Anyway, I look at the gameplay videos and think to myself "I can't imagine having to shoot things this fast with a gamepad."

My wife wants to give it a shot so I'll probably be kicking it PC style. I think you should be able to run it fine since it runs on source and doesn't have any new graphical effects or anything source doesn't already do.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA Mod Emeritus
    edited September 2008
    evilbob wrote: »

Yep. :(

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    also, a Thor movie with Asgardian gods making Shakespearean speeches can only be excellent
    Dost thou really thinketh liketh thateth?
    angrymexh5.jpg

I hate this sort of thing so much.
    i'm fairly sure he knows that "eth" is not just a suffix you attach to every word to make it into "old english"

fairly sure
    Yes, but it’s a pet peeve.

Knave, I bite my thumb at thee! And hello all.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really wish I hadn't checked out the Ess Eee plus plus X-Com Let's Play. Now I'm waiting for updates. This guy had better deliver. It has potential to be better than the Jean Luc Picard LP.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I really wish I hadn't checked out the Ess Eee plus plus X-Com Let's Play. Now I'm waiting for updates. This guy had better deliver. It has potential to be better than the Jean Luc Picard LP.

Is it a video Let's Play, or one with screenshots? I can't stand the video ones.

Edit: Alternatively, I could just look. Heigh-ho.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

Yep. :(

You would think that between Milan, Real and Chelsea I'd be able to find one player who could pass the ball to who I wanted them to, or receive a simple through ball. Looks like I'm still sticking with Pro Evo 4.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Did you get out of it?

Not really, it's more that I get to help write a technical case for doing it for no particular reason other than our director is kapital-k krazy, but it's going to get all politic-y and caught in meetings and committees and yadda yadda yadda.

I figure the upshot is I've got about a year to suck as much experience out of this place as I can and then get the hell out before the stupid kills me. Hopefully while moving to a less sucky city at the same time.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Coldred wrote: »

Is it a video Let's Play, or one with screenshots? I can't stand the video ones.

Screenshots, written up like X-Com after action reports, internal memos, etc. all using soldiers with forumers names.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Kwik Fit make me sad, they charge me nearly five hundred quid and I still fail the damn MOT as they don't actually do everything necessary in their garages. So I need to fanny about finding somewhere local that isn't run by cowboys, which was the exact reason I went with Kwik Fit in the first place!

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

DC has a good job market. It is warm there in the summer.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

DC has a good job market. It is warm there in the summer.
    I got a job out here, so they'll hire anybody.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Kwik Fit make me sad, they charge me nearly five hundred quid and I still fail the damn MOT as they don't actually do everything necessary in their garages. So I need to fanny about finding somewhere local that isn't run by cowboys, which was the exact reason I went with Kwik Fit in the first place!

I've read what you wrote like 3 times, and I still don't know what you said.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Did you get out of it?
    Not really, it's more that I get to help write a technical case for doing it for no particular reason other than our director is kapital-k krazy, but it's going to get all politic-y and caught in meetings and committees and yadda yadda yadda.

I figure the upshot is I've got about a year to suck as much experience out of this place as I can and then get the hell out before the stupid kills me. Hopefully while moving to a less sucky city at the same time.
    I don’t know why non-technical people get hired to manage technical people in companies based entirely around technical stuff.

Good luck lasting through the madhouse.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    He paid $900 in the hopes of passing his car inspection, but the shop wasn’t able to do everything he needed.

stilist on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

His car failed inspection and now he needs to find a shop that isn't some incompetent franchise, but also isn't like those mechanics from Vacation.

...at least I think that's what he said.

Bama on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

My car's MOT is about to expire. I don't know of a good local garage and if you pick one at random you'll likely get fucked over, so I went with the big chain. Who do the MOT, fail me, and can only solve about half of the problems with my car. So I need to find a good local garage. It's circular and annoying.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    FUCK FUCK FUCKITY FUCK!
    My password expired on the uni servers because I didn't have net access to change it during the week before it ran out. Now I need to go fill out a form to get it reset. Which is easy and all but not when I need to log on at 3am.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2008

What are you, twp?

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2008

Some shitty auto-repair chain makes him sad. It cost him a lot of money and he still failed a state-mandate test of some kind because tehy don't do everything related to said test in their garages. So now he needs to dick around to find a local garage that isn't run by ass-clowns, which was why he went to the big chain in the first place!

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Good work team, we've now said that in enough ways that he'll get it for sure. Back to the adventure blimp!

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Left 4 Dead will be incredible but it's an action game, not a horror game. You will be horrified but you will be running and gunning.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait what?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait what?

fuck you, that's what

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    I don’t know why non-technical people get hired to manage technical people in companies based entirely around technical stuff.

I think it's because not enough technical people bother to get managerial training or experience, and so, in one respect, most technical people are not "qualified." I think there's a movement to change that now, but it's still going to depend on there being enough technical people being arsed to go through management training, which is probably not their idea of fun.

Well that was fairly quick, Senj. Feel better now that it's over?

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    Wait what?

fuck you, that's what

Senj wheres the compassion for your fellow man?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited September 2008

I think it's because not enough technical people bother to get managerial training or experience, and so, in one respect, most technical people are not "qualified." I think there's a movement to change that now, but it's still going to depend on there being enough technical people being arsed to go through management training, which is probably not their idea of fun.

The way they put it to us at Comcast was, "We need people who have excellent customer service abilities not technical ones in leadership roles."

Speaking of tech did you ever get that issue of yours resolved?

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    That's what she said.

Bama on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

^^ basically this ^^

Plus, if you really enjoy the tech side management is slow death by boredom, and if you're crucial to the tech side you're too important to promote into management, so incompetence rises.

Loads (although I still need to get the hell out of here eventually). Thanks for caring; you've been promoted to the top of The List.

Let that be a warning to the rest of you. Your rankings are falling.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited September 2008

^^ basically this ^^

Plus, if you really enjoy the tech side management is slow death by boredom, and if you're crucial to the tech side you're too important to promote into management, so incompetence rises.

Loads (although I still need to get the hell out of here eventually). Thanks for caring; you've been promoted to the top of The List.

So it wasn't so much that she rose up as the rest of us fell down?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited September 2008
    I was already near the bottom, so there’s no point in trying.

stilist on
This discussion has been closed.