As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need Money Fast

Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of MagicArcanusRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I suck at asking for help, so I apologize in advance for how awkward this is going to read.

About two years ago I moved out into an apartment and everything was going pretty well, but with the economy going down the tubes my job has been cutting hours left and right and so my income for the last six months or so has been severely curtailed. For the last month or so my savings ran out and I've been living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. Now, I'm moving out at the end of October, so I figured I could skate by okay until then, but alas, life hates me.

My car broke down earlier this month, and fixing it has more or less killed my bank account, such that I really don't have enough money to make rent this month. I am about $250 short and rather out of ideas on where to get it fast. Given that this is the last month of rent I will need to be paying (if I've got this whole thing figured right), I don't really care if I have to go to a payday advance place, because I can pay that off on Friday when my next paycheck comes through, but I was hoping you guys might have some better ideas.

Kane Red Robe on

• Options
    edited September 2008
    Sell dvds/games or clothing at a used place that will give you money for some of your stuff. Especially if it's stuff you don't wear/use anymore. There's always craigslist if you have some stuff that you're meaning to get rid of that someone might pay for. Otherwise theres always giving blood/plasma.

BlackbeardonGuitar on
    n13908669_48529144_9322.jpg
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Could you talk to your landlord and ask him to take that $250 that you don't have out of your security deposit (which i'm assuming you will be getting back once you move out).

Ponge on
  • Options
    PongePonge Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Also, I'm not sure if those paycheck advance places are the same as they are here in the UK, but check their advertised rates.

They were pulling a scam here in the UK, advertising 29% APR. What actually happened was you took an advance/loan of $100, and they charged you $29 a month interested on that loan, which of course is something like 340% APR. They got away with it too because most people that need money quickly don't understand how interest rates work.

Ponge on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    My car broke down earlier this month, and fixing it has more or less killed my bank account, such that I really don't have enough money to make rent this month. I am about $250 short and rather out of ideas on where to get it fast. Given that this is the last month of rent I will need to be paying (if I've got this whole thing figured right), I don't really care if I have to go to a payday advance place, because I can pay that off on Friday when my next paycheck comes through, but I was hoping you guys might have some better ideas.

A pawn broker or payday advance professional (assuming they're reputable) isn't the worst idea here, but before you result to that...
    • Check with your bank or credit union to see if they offer any short-term loans.
    • Consider a cash advance on your credit card, even if it's at a shitty APR: A 22% APR will hurt a lot less than 22% a week for a payday advance.
    • Ponce is right, see if you can work with your landlord.

Best of luck, I know what a crappy feeling it can be living paycheck-to-paycheck. :/

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    ToefooToefoo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Don't ever ever ever ever EVER do a Check Into Cash or any of those "businesses" who give you advances on your paychecks. The interest is insane and you can easily end up even worse off.

That said, cash advances on your credit card are a better option...and if you don't have a credit card, you should look into getting one to build your credit as well as bail you out of temporary situations like this.

In the end if you can't scrape the extra $250 in time, just tell your landlord things are tight this month and you'll need to pay it a little late...I've never had a landlord say no, and you wouldn't believe how long some landlords let people stay there without even paying rent (which I do not recommend to you obviously).

Toefoo on
    PSN: Soultics
    Weaboo List
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2008
    Firstly, see what you can arrange with your landlord. Either an extra couple of weeks to straighten out your finances or a deduction off the security deposit.

Secondly, do you have a overdraft with your bank? Either call them up and arrange one or see if you can get a fee-free extension on your existing overdraft (make sure it's fee free - you'll still pay interest but not get lumbered with additional 'bank charges'). This is exactly what overdrafts are for - those odd months when your outgoings don't quite play friendly with your incomings and you need a buffer to bridge the gap for a couple of weeks.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    spacerobotspacerobot Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    A suggestion to save money for future months is to cancel any services you have but don't really need. Such as internet or cable tv. It can suck not having your own internet but it can help you make rent and save a lot of money.

spacerobot on
    test.jpg
  • Options
    Bwah?Bwah? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Agreed, cancel non-necessities (pleasures) for now, as they aren't as important as the current issues at hand. I would not go to the cash advance places- as they are a business in a horrible economy and well, they have to make money too, so expect interest rates of 2104214201%.

You could try donating plasma for a quick...well painful $50 or so? Try going through your contact list to see if anyone owes you money you may have forgotten about. If you have a job work overtime and ask for a one time early check? And if you're really in need go out and collect cans for 10cent refunds if your state has the rebate.

Bwah? on
    MGSsig.jpg