As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Persona 4: Relationships are the Devil.

cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm RegentBears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
MegatenLogo.pnglogo.png
p4o1.jpg

Persona_4_-_Japanese_Boxart.JPG
Out now!

In other news, closed beta for the SMT MMO has begun.

smtima.png

It's quite epic. Help us kill some demons if you're so inclined:
http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=76111

Just don't expect most of us to be very active for the next few weeks/months.

The final boxart for Devil Survivor, the new DS SMT SRPG:

jl5wle.jpg

The work's pretty much done for Atlus USA, so just a matter of time before it shows up here, I hope.

In the meantime, Persona 2: Innocent Sin's translation was released a few weeks back.

If you own the game, it's time to get busy.

If you don't, well, it's time to hit up some import sites.

Also, FES was released in PAL a while ago, with cover art that doesn't suck(re: the original's).
p3fes2top.jpg

Last but never least, everyone's favorite Kuzunoha(not that there's many to choose from) is only a few weeks away from a comeback of his own.

dsvdf.jpg

Including a special guest. I'm optimistic we can expect it in the US sometime after P4, but that can wait.

As always, discussion on all prior SMT games is welcome, which assorted ramblings can be found on here, and in too many older threads to name.

lpt.jpg

I'd be remiss in my duties if I left that out.

wVEsyIc.png
cj iwakura on

• Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah new thread! Good jorb.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yay new thread! Now we just need the other one locked....

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    DeMoN wrote: »
    Yeah new thread! Good jorb.

JORB!

mastrius on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    OP looks snazzy.

How embarrasing though, my character is in that terrible pink tanktop D:.

Adellios on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woo! Let's go crazy up in here.

I'm definitely psyched after reading the OP. I mean, I already knew all of it, but seeing it all condensed like that triggered the "oh hells yes" response.

Also, I really wish that Imagine wasn't coming out until after this semester. I'm in no way able to finish my M.A. and start an MMO. Do we have any idea what the system reqs are going to be for it? I only have a GeForce 6200 and an Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz processor.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sadly I don't think I'll ever expect more from the fan translation community than for them to cut off their own nose to spite their face.

Over and over again.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2008
    Aroduc on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Adellios wrote: »
    OP looks snazzy.

How embarrasing though, my character is in that terrible pink tanktop D:.

That's your character? o_O

I look forward to tinkering with the creation system. It looks like there are a ton of appearance options.
    20071223183557lg7.jpg

Those are some crazy weapons.

Wow, that boss music sounds awesome.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They sure like their...giant...chainsaw...blades....HACK G.U.!

mastrius on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Sadly I don't think I'll ever expect more from the fan translation community than for them to cut off their own nose to spite their face.

Over and over again.
    Can't they like

Turn off the comments or something

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Man, I don't want armor or anything on my guy. I just want to kickass in street clothes. Or nude.

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Naked man + chainsaw blade = WIN

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a new title

Elendil on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Also, I really wish that Imagine wasn't coming out until after this semester. I'm in no way able to finish my M.A. and start an MMO. Do we have any idea what the system reqs are going to be for it? I only have a GeForce 6200 and an Athlon 2200+ 1.8Ghz processor.

I posted this before but I hope it will help answer your question:
    megatenreqmaybe.jpg
    Doubt the English version would have different specs.

And yes that is my character, but that picture is pretty old (I wear the full green outfit now, thank neutralness.) I don't play as often these days unfortunately, I usually just take screenshots.

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Then you should take more screenshots!

DeMoN on
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, there's always the opportunity to make a new character when the US version comes around.

And firing up my copy of Innocent Sin in anticipation(which I haven't played much of beyond the opening), I notice IS Joker looks a lot like NiGHTS.

Creepy.

Wow, if you leave the load data screen on IS idle for a few moments, you hear a vocal piano piece.

Like :20 long, but it's there.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Am I the only one more excited for the new Raidou Kuzunoha game than Persona 4?

Pb on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm very excited for it, but not quite more than P4.

Maybe when(not if) they confirm Rasputin's return.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Now Im picturing it flying through crazy looking loops and going through faggoty lands to reach....places....NO

thats so NOT SMT....

mastrius on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mastrius wrote: »

"Ha-hee se-ho! Become stronger-ho!"

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PunkBoy wrote: »

"Ha-hee se-ho! Become stronger-ho!"

Oh dear lawdy.

mastrius on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Elendil wrote: »
    I have a new title
    Figured what the hey

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a new title
    Figured what the hey

The signature should be her winning pose with the two pistols.
    I'm sorry!

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I have a new title
    Figured what the hey

I'm sorry!
    I would need a picture of it

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I have a new title
    Figured what the hey

I'm sorry!
    I would need a picture of it

Eh, too crowded. And most artwork of her is, strangely enough, not very cheerful.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pb wrote: »
    Depends on how they improve the general mechanics of the game. Going through DS now, the battle system is pretty barebones.

Joule on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It seems like the sequel is more conversation driven, which should mean good things.

And I enjoyed DS3's battle system, partially because of how simple it was. It made for less headaches.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

New guild name: BROTHERS REPENTIA!

Darklyre on
  • Options
    JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's not the simplicity that bugs me, it's that the options you have in or related to battle are too few.

An option to default a certain AI command to your demons would of been very useful. The responsiveness is also a little off at times.

Joule on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know anything about anything but I just ordered Persona 3 FES, good decision?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Best decision.

Darklyre wrote: »

New guild name: BROTHERS REPENTIA!

I like the way you think.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't know anything about anything but I just ordered Persona 3 FES, good decision?

Aside from the flat 2% or so chance to be horribly and instantly killed in any given round of battle, it's one of the best RPGs on the already crowded PS2, so... sure.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Here I am playing Innocent Sin again, using the translation guide.

I just met Maya.

Should I stop and wait for the translated version? I think I kind of have the hang of it now.

Even the contact system. Trial and error city, but I managed to get some Tower cards from a slime.

I like how Eikichi speaks English in battle.
    ("Come on baby!")

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Chrono HelixChrono Helix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Me too. But that's only cos I've already finished P4. :P

Chrono Helix on
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    INNOCENT SIN

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

How was it...you can spoiler tag if you must.

*I don't mind spoilers*

And I speak from a more mechanical standpoint though if you have an opinion or in being better/not as good as P3 I'll listen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wouldn't be it be easier to just say 'sorry guys, it won't be ready on the 15th'? Because that's what I'm reading out of this.

Someone that devoted to the SMT community couldn't possibly be that petty.

Er, I should probably work on that new OP soon. I'll make a post if it comes into being.
    :lol:

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »

How was it...you can spoiler tag if you must.

*I don't mind spoilers*

And I speak from a more mechanical standpoint though if you have an opinion or in being better/not as good as P3 I'll listen.

Well, I can answer mechanics questions, though it's second hand. The short version is that it's built more like a traditional RPG than P3 was, at least as far as the dungeons go. It also has a lot more safety nets in the short term, but encourages you to actually think about and conserve your abilities/items a bit more than P3's "eh, just nuke 'em all, we'll get tired before we run out of SP" approach.

The game's a lot more forgiving and you won't be insta-gibbed as much since getting knocked down doesn't force you to miss a turn. The same goes for the enemies though, so those battles with lots of them are a good deal nastier, but ones with one or two tend to be easier. You do miss a turn if you get hit with a second crit/weakness attack while Down though, and All-Outs just require them to be down instead of I think it's called Faint.

You're also helped along by the ally Commu (S.Link) abilities. Every party member has them, and when you get it to certain levels, they have a chance of some kind of random assist (usually when a monster gets Once Mored). Level 1, for example, will let them protect you from a fatal hit once per battle. Level 3 is a random chance for a free support attack (unique to the character... Chie auto-kills one enemy, Naoto criticals all enemies, Yukiko crits one enemy into Faint, etc) on a Once More. And more on 5 and 7.

At the same time though, you don't automatically get full HP/SP by leaving the dungeon (or at least, returning to the entrance. It's lots of little dungeons instead of just big ol' Tartarus.) The result there is that you need to manage your team a little bit better and can't just spew out all your big spells on the small fries and teleport away with an access point right before the boss/midboss.

The Shuffle stuff can also be pretty frustrating too because it's fuckload harder now, and all you can really get from it are Personas, so healing using that is out... sorta. There's a random chance on each one that you'll draw an arcana card too, but each arcana can be positive or negative (affected by your Persona's Luck) which will do either good or bad things to your party. Draw a reverse Death (HP to full, SP to 1, kicked out of dungeon and it randomizes) and you're basically forced out of the dungeon for that night, and if it's on basically the last possible day for that quest... well... thanks for playing.

Oh, and you can't kite shadows anymore. :sadness:

Aroduc on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Op could also mention the impending PAL release of FES :P

Xagarath on
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Here I am playing Innocent Sin again, using the translation guide.

I just met Maya.

Should I stop and wait for the translated version? I think I kind of have the hang of it now.

Even the contact system. Trial and error city, but I managed to get some Tower cards from a slime.

I like how Eikichi speaks English in battle.
    ("Come on baby!")

Honestly at this point I would just wait for the patch. However, I am considering trying to slug my way through the Snow Queen quest with a guide. Sadly I don't own nor have I ever used a Game Shark, so that's kind of a problem for me.

langfor6 on