As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Drink Around the World Shirt (be brutal)

LuisNinLuisNin Registered User new member
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
Drink Around The World Shirts (be brutal)

First off, I just want to say that I'm a big fan of the way you guys do things here. You don't mince words and you give awesome critiques. It is because of this that I humbly come to you, oh lords of images, and ask for your advice.

I recently designed a tshirt:

Picture5.png

This shirt will be for an event we'll be holding in three weeks called "Drink Around the World". During this event, my friends and I go to Disney's Epcot Center in Orlando Florida, and drink at all 11 countries in their world showcase.

wdw_epcot.jpg

It's a very fun and special event, and we always like to make it extra special by designing a t-shirt. This year we decided to go for a rock theme, and made the tshirt a tribute to Led Zeppelin's classic Icarus shirt.

We've been doing this event for the past three years, and we have a fairly large group of people going this year.

datw_vignette.jpg

Please let me know what you think. What sucks about it, and what I can improve. All your comments are very much appreciated.

EDIT: Oh, here's the shirt I was trying to emulate:

00517185.detail.a.jpg

LuisNin on

• Options
    JRoseyJRosey Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I really want him to be holding the bottles instead of them being glued to his hands.

Other than that I like it.

JRosey on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That shirt is hilarious. 4 stars.

Godfather on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    It looks like it reads 'HANCOVER'. I'd change the G a bit.

bombardier on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The design seems pretty good. But I think the action lines are holding it back from being great. They should really thin out as they fade into the background. They kinda whip around all over the globe, but the line weight does not indicate the perspective, if you get my drift. Also theres kinda a weird tangent where the north pole hits the bottom motion line. Thats all I got.

Oh yeah and why does the boozer have to be a Mexican? It's like just about as racially incensitive as you could get man.

I'm kid. Man I want to come to this...

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    First thing I noticed is that the kerning on the text on the back really needs fixing -- e.g. look at the H and then the A & N; same thing with the T and O & U.

I didn't get that it was a Zeppelin reference until you pointed it out. The Mexican character just seems too incongruous with the type. Using the Led Zep font doesn't really do enough to make the reference clear.

The illo is OK but could do with some variance in line thickness. Also perhaps center the illustration to the text (rather than to the left, as it appears now).

But... at the end of the day, it's a shirt for drinking in and by the time you hit Morocco I'm pretty sure you won't care. :P Sounds like a good day out, have fun dude.

Grenn on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Line weight issues. I don't think this would read well on a shirt since almost all the line weights are the same. The zoomy action lines should be thinner (or at least become thinner as they recede into the distance) and the guy should be beefed up a little - even if it's just a stroke around the figure to make him 'pop' from the rest of the image.

You'll notice the original Led Zepplin guy has a thicker line running around his outer shape, thicker than the lines that make up the detail.

Also, the wings are really the iconic part of the led zepplin image. Have you thought about incorporating them at all? I'd probably try to do big splashes of liquor that vaguely resembled the wings?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pretty Bad Tangent where the motion line is resting on top of the globe.. Bring it down over the top of the globe and it will really push the figure foward more. I would also make the beggining of the motion line where it curls around the globe near his leg much smaller, that will also help the image read faster.

I know your emulating the led zepplin shirt but that drawing has alot less going on, but I really think your design could benift from some solid white shapes.

On another note, I think that usuing the globe is a little unnecessary. you could just have the figure in that pose and just dress him in odd bits of clothing from different parts of the world.

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Alright, I've been trying to address some of the issues with the piece, and I thought that using beer spillage as wings was a great idea. I just can't get it to look right.

Picture1.png

Any suggestions?

LuisNin on
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    nice.

Indica1 on

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    GrennGrenn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think that's pretty good, and it's nice to see someone take people's comments away and come back with a noticably stronger design. I would have recognised it as a Zep reference straight away this time.

I think the beer splashes would benefit from some variation in line weight, as opposed to just a solid stroke but it's not a big deal... still works as it is.

Grenn on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hehehe, awesome.

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Perhaps make the splashes more directional?

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    For some reason I still like the other design better, because it's way funnier.

But hey, your shirt, do whatever.

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I think that's pretty good, and it's nice to see someone take people's comments away and come back with a noticably stronger design. I would have recognised it as a Zep reference straight away this time.

You guys are freaking awesome. I can't believe you guys take the time to deliver so much awesome advice. Anyone who doesn't take it is dumb.

I just finished sending the shirts to print. Here are the finals:

FRONT
    lowres_front.png

BACK
    lowres_back.png
    Note: I was on a time crunch, so I just purchased the girl holding the Bass from a Stock Illustration site and modified her into a French girl. If I had a little more time, I would have drawn her myself.

SLEEVE
    lowres_sleeve.png

They should come out really nice. I'm printing them on fitted, Charcoal shirts for a vintage rock look.

Thanks for all the help and advice guys!

If you're in Orlando FL next weekend, pass by Epcot and say "hi!"

LuisNin on