As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Learning Scots Gaelic

TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter.Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A!

I'm interested in learning Scots Gaelic for a number of reasons, some of which are purely superficial.

Superficial reasons:
1: I want to learn how to insult people without them understanding (I've gotten in trouble for this many times)
2: I think it's quite a beautiful language

Real reasons
1: My great grandmother knows it (and English of course) and I want to show her that I can learn a different language and surprise her by speaking Scots Gaelic before she passes (She's 93)

Also, I live in Australia so anybody who knows internet places or even someone in Oz who would know is greatly appreciated.

TrueHereticX on

• BalgairBalgair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I was in Ireland a few years ago and got to hear some old-timers speaking Gaelic quite a bit. It was crazy. For the duration of my exposure to the language, I was completely unable to decipher a single word/phrase/strange utterance. All I can truly offer is this: good luck.

PS: Do that which I have not the willpower to do. Learn it. It's probably the coolest language ever.

Balgair on
    XBL:VOS THE VARG
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Try BBC Alba, they have some resources:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/learngaelic/

It won't teach you Gaelic, but it should be enough to get you started.

japan on
  • Doctor LivingstoneDoctor Livingstone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Your sentiment is commendable indeed, TrueHereticX! Though I am afraid that fairly little, where Scottish Gaelic is concerned, exists in the way of teaching materials outside of schools in the Western Isles, I will join with japan in also directing you towards the BBC web site.

This is the BBC Scottish Gaelic radio web stream; it should certainly assist in addressing any general pronunciation problems you might run into along this journey.

The best of luck to you, then!
    Balgair wrote: »
    I was in Ireland a few years ago and got to hear some old-timers speaking Gaelic quite a bit. It was crazy. For the duration of my exposure to the language, I was completely unable to decipher a single word/phrase/strange utterance. All I can truly offer is this: good luck.

PS: Do that which I have not the willpower to do. Learn it. It's probably the coolest language ever.

Rest assured that you stand with most every Irishman born after the Triassic period in this predicament! I am reminded of the legendary Carlsberg advertisement ( http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ViAqTH9jtHA ) and its stinging words of truth: Beyond inquiring as to the status of the restrooms or the next meal, we are equally lost. :D

Doctor Livingstone on