As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Hay, I like to drawl. (MegaMan)

FreeBryd!FreeBryd! Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Artist's Corner
megamanwutqe3.png

Hay. Bit of a lurker here. Heres some stuff I've done with my Tablet. so...check it out?

FlameMan
flameman1hr1.png

Tengu
tenguri6.png

Burner
burninanted3qg2.jpg

Zero
07jj6.png

theaterseats.jpg
FreeBryd! on

• PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This does not deserve it's own thread. Put these in the doodle thread.

Also you need more practice. Keep drawing. I suggest you head over to the Tutorials thread and check out those resources.

PROX on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited October 2008
    Prox, I hereby award you the 'most generalized and ignorable critiques by a forumer' award.

bombardier on
    edited October 2008
    Where's my gift certificate.

Dude needs to draw more. He needs to move his arms around more to get used to drawing arcs and things. Everything is all wobbly. Move your arms! MOVE EM ALL THE TIME!

PROX on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You fail at tracing.

megamanzero002xs8.jpg

acadia on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The lines are unsure and broken. All of these look rushed and really unrefined.

You want to get the basics of form down before you start things like this, and, even more, you want to draw on paper with a pencil for a good long while before you start using a tablet.

Tam on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Woah now, looks like you're trying to run before learing to crawl.

Try taking some character images you love (like that official Zero art for example), grab some tracing paper to set on top of a print-out of those images and start breaking the figure down into egg/oval shapes. Usually i'd say to do this with works from Michelangelo and Da Vinci, but you probably wouldn't be interested in that.

Godfather on
  • winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    acadia wrote: »
    You fail at tracing.

I dropped it into photoshop and couldn't get both images to line up correctly.

EDIT: Not a trace

winter_combat_knight on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You fail at tracing.

I concur. It was copying, but not effortless copying.

Tam on
    edited October 2008
    I think he just eyed the piece and tried to match it on another sheet of paper as best as he could. Truth be told that's how I got started into drawing in the first place, so I kinda feel for the kid.

Godfather on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think everyone did that, I know I did.

Mustang on
    edited October 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    I think everyone did that, I know I did.

Yeah but I went extremely overboard. I don't want to whore the thread so i'll just post an image link

Godfather on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think he just eyed the piece and tried to match it on another sheet of paper as best as he could. Truth be told that's how I got started into drawing in the first place, so I kinda feel for the kid.

While I agree, and we've all been there, I think it's really important that he know that while it's okay to practice in this way, he NEEDS to give credit to the original artist, if he's going to reference it directly like that.

I've had a couple of my things copied and was not a happy camper when I found them, with absolutely no credit to me whatsoever.

I've done this before too, I'm not innocent of forgetting to give proper credit, but I try nowadays.

FreeByrd, try to simplify your fanart -- megaman seems to be a series of circles, warped rectangles and cylinders. Really study some images from the game/official art, and try to find these shapes.

mully on
    edited October 2008
    My very first thread was filled with nothing but those types of pieces. Although I gave credit to where credit was due in the OP, I made that topic during the dark ages of PA, where everyone and their mom would ream you through with a pitchfork.

That was quite the experience I tell you what.

Godfather on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, making a study of another artist's work is fine. Nobody is going to crucify you for that.

Slipping at the tail end of a series of presumably legitimate fan art a blatant plagiarism without crediting the original artist, not even mentioning that it's a copy, and then signing your own fucking name, however, is completely unacceptable.

Scosglen on
  • FreeBryd!FreeBryd! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well i guess feedbacks feedback.

I was doing these on another forum, so yeah I signed my handle. Don't think thats a big deal.

I do agree that my lines are unsure, especially in the zero/burner image. I like what I did with Tengu the most as I think the lines were most deliberate and simplified.

I'm pretty outclassed here. I'd like to share some more in a few days when my computers back from the shop....but uh...feel like going any easier? I just think they're fun characters that I'd like to add more personality to...

FreeBryd! on
    theaterseats.jpg
  • CrowlestonCrowleston Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The thing is that you aren't really adding anymore personality to them. These are established characters with an established look that you don't seem to be doing anything to distort, or make your own. Fan art is fine, but you are changing original works in no way. Thats like claiming you write Buffy Fan Fiction by novelizing an episode, no you just know how to watch TV.

(Does that make sense?)

Crowleston on
    useless but necessary objects of society.
    edited October 2008
    If you wanna make your drawings more personal, a simple way to do this is to just take one of the characters, but draw it in a completely original pose. Try to block it out with simple lines and shapes and build it up using one of capcoms official art pieces. It is very difficult, but it will be more of your own.

winter_combat_knight on
  • LaliluleloLalilulelo Richmond, VARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh lord.

Everyone knows who and what the fuck megaman is, so there's no way this dude would actually be trying to pull a fast one on us. He signed 'em cuz he drew them. How well he drew them isn't relevant to the fact that we all know that he knows that we know these aren't his original characters. If he posted and said, 'hey look at some original characters I did, ' then sure, fuck him proper, but he didn't. He just said, here's some art I did. Whether or not that's original material is immediately apparent so the only concern is critiquing his skills, his technique. He didn't trace, so scratch that one off. No need to burn the guy at the stake. I seriously gotta question the necessity of A CLEARLY NOOB ARTIST saying 'HEY BY THE WAY GUYS CREDIT GOES TO MEGAMAN SERIES ARTISTS (Insert Whoever Japanese Guy-San)'---in case you were WONDERING did I make these up. Of course we fucking know these aren't original characters.

Prox(zee) had it right the first time. He's a beginner, and just needs to keep drawing. Draw compulsively, and like your life depended on it. It'll come with time. And pay attention to the helpful tutorials and theory you can find on this site and elsewhere on the interwebs. Books are good to. You know...with paper...and print. Don't spend the next 2 years practicing the wrong shit. that's really all to be said at this point.

Lalilulelo on
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Lalilulelo wrote: »
    Oh lord.

Everyone knows who and what the fuck megaman is, so there's no way this dude would actually be trying to pull a fast one on us. He signed 'em cuz he drew them. How well he drew them isn't relevant to the fact that we all know that he knows that we know these aren't his original characters. If he posted and said, 'hey look at some original characters I did, ' then sure, fuck him proper, but he didn't. He just said, here's some art I did. Whether or not that's original material is immediately apparent so the only concern is critiquing his skills, his technique. He didn't trace, so scratch that one off. No need to burn the guy at the stake. I seriously gotta question the necessity of A CLEARLY NOOB ARTIST saying 'HEY BY THE WAY GUYS CREDIT GOES TO MEGAMAN SERIES ARTISTS (Insert Whoever Japanese Guy-San)'---in case you were WONDERING did I make these up. Of course we fucking know these aren't original characters.

It would be one thing if these were just megaman fanarts. Nobody cares that these aren't original characters, or at least they shouldn't care.

The problem is that at least 3 of the 5 images in the OP aren't even original IMAGES. They are direct copies of specific pieces of megaman production art. THAT is why it's a big deal that he didn't mention that they were copies at all and signed his own name on them.

It's an even bigger deal because he just posted saying he doesn't think that plagiarism is a big whup.

Scosglen on
    edited October 2008
    Yes. When you copy the pose and composition like that and call it your own, that is plagiarism. It's not just about character design, but the specific image in question so much like the original that it can be construed as plagiarism in a court of law.

PROX on
    edited October 2008
    I just don't think it that's serious. Not because plagiarism is okay, but because Megaman is so prolific that there's no way we'd mistake it for anything else. He literally could not fool us. Normally, someone will rip something, and after a page of sleuthing someone will bust them on it. That's not even the case here. Megaman art is a part of our goddamn vocabulary. You look at it and instantly know it's not his. Let him sign his damn drawings for crying out loud. Besides, people at such a beginner level of learning to draw do this shit all the time. It helps them learn. Now we can shake a finger at him and say, 'NO' and point him in the right direction but I don't know how making him a pariah for being a noob does him or us any good.

Lalilulelo on
  • FletcherFletcher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Megaman art is a part of our goddamn vocabulary. You look at it and instantly know it's not his.

speak for yourself, I had no idea it was a copy of anything

I've never seen megaman art or boxart in my life, so I would have had no idea he was ripping off someone else's piece if other posters hadn't pointed it out

I know you mean like "go easy on him since he obviously is trying, and is doing so the same way most of us did", but copying someone else's work and signing it with your own name is a bit on the dodgy side regardless of what level you're at

Fletcher on
  • LoomdunLoomdun Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Fletcher wrote: »
    Megaman art is a part of our goddamn vocabulary. You look at it and instantly know it's not his.

speak for yourself, I had no idea it was a copy of anything

I've never seen megaman art or boxart in my life, so I would have had no idea he was ripping off someone else's piece if other posters hadn't pointed it out

I know you mean like "go easy on him since he obviously is trying, and is doing so the same way most of us did", but copying someone else's work and signing it with your own name is a bit on the dodgy side regardless of what level you're at

Agreed I shamefully blush when I think about the one and only time I copied something, It was in my very very first sketchbook and since i realllly have absolutely no outside understanding of ANYTHING i barely have anything to copy anyways this was probably my very first week of practicing drawing, and I copy down a anime face I shudder every time I think of how proud I was when I copied down a anime face. It was just. Oh god bad memories. Anyways... The big difference though is I didn't present this face of mine to anyone and my very first sketchbook is locked in the depths of all my archived work from when I first began to the present.

So yah I agree with who I quoted the topic person was pretty foolish to post this he basically did this because he wanted to get ass pats, obviously new to drawing and copied something to get "oh so goodz" that dosn't really help, atleast thats what I beleive.

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    Loomdun, I'd like you to meet my friend, the "."

Lalilulelo on
    edited October 2008
    Loomdun, I'd like you to meet my friend, the "."

I DONT HAVE ANY FRIENDS /WRIST I shall never ever even think of using a period in any of my things now to, I will use comma's but I wont use periods even though I didn't really in the first place, but NOW! There wont be any

btw I fail alot in engrish claszz

Loomdun on
    splat
    edited October 2008
    No wonder it sounds like Loomdun is talking really fast.

PROX on
  • JohnTWMJohnTWM Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    too

as in, you made this mistake too.

JohnTWM on
    edited October 2008
    I just don't think it that's serious. Not because plagiarism is okay, but because Megaman is so prolific that there's no way we'd mistake it for anything else. He literally could not fool us. Normally, someone will rip something, and after a page of sleuthing someone will bust them on it. That's not even the case here. Megaman art is a part of our goddamn vocabulary. You look at it and instantly know it's not his. Let him sign his damn drawings for crying out loud. Besides, people at such a beginner level of learning to draw do this shit all the time. It helps them learn. Now we can shake a finger at him and say, 'NO' and point him in the right direction but I don't know how making him a pariah for being a noob does him or us any good.

This pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. I have no idea why Scos is throwing such a hissy fit over something i'm pretty sure the kid didn't think too deeply about.

Godfather on
    edited October 2008
    FreeBryd, i'd like to see some of your other drawings. Post some up nd hopefully people will offer you some advice on improving your skills.
    BTW ppl, FreeBryd it obviously just starting out, dont be such hard arses just because he referenced official artwork. And big efin deal, signed his name. I used to obsessively draw Dragonball and Zelda fan art when i was in high school. Sometimes id sign my name.

winter_combat_knight on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ignorance is hardly an excuse though. Scos is right in that you can't copy a drawing by another artist and then sign your bloody name! This is bad practice and this kid along with a lot of people that may be reading this thread need to know that. This is plagiarism, it really doesn't matter the skill level or age or whatever, references need to be cited if they are used.

Doing master copies or whatever can be considered good practice for technique and determination of completion of a piece but this issue here isn't about the advantage/disadvantage of copying other artists works, the issue is that he didn't give any credit to the original artist.

Don't do that.

DeeLock on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The signing of the name isn't okay, but I used to copy artists all the time when I was younger, it's a good learning tool.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
    edited October 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Ignorance is hardly an excuse though. Scos is right in that you can't copy a drawing by another artist and then sign your bloody name! This is bad practice and this kid along with a lot of people that may be reading this thread need to know that. This is plagiarism, it really doesn't matter the skill level or age or whatever, references need to be cited if they are used.

Doing master copies or whatever can be considered good practice for technique and determination of completion of a piece but this issue here isn't about the advantage/disadvantage of copying other artists works, the issue is that he didn't give any credit to the original artist.

Don't do that.

Yes, and the forums will be shut down until a thorough investigation can be completed.:?

Lalilulelo on
  • Castle_BuilderCastle_Builder regular
    edited October 2008
    If he draws something referenced from "official art" then all he needs for advice is to compare his attempt to the offical art he took it from.

If he cant see the ways in which he went wrong based on the comparison to the art he was referencing then theres not much advice we can give him.

So it kinda comes off like he just posted here because he wants people to praise his work ... which kinda really isnt his work ... but kinda is ... with an emphasis on the not ... but he did it ... so its there ... and exists ... but ... yeah ... sleepy time.

Castle_Builder on
    edited October 2008
    DeeLock, you are reading way too hard into this.

I doubt the idea even crossed his mind when this happened, ignorance be damned. I'm pretty sure that if he was confronted with this whole plagiarism nonsense in person, he'd probably just shrug it off and not do it anymore. I can understand grilling a poster for throwing up fanwork like this and have him flip out after a couple of attempts of constructive criticism, but this whole thing is just ridiculous. He has done nothing to warrant this, especially something so obviously harmless.

Godfather on
  • KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I want to know what the "." face means now.

Edit: I made this post earlier at work not realizing this thread had a second page. And now realize it was not a emoticon face but just a period in quotations..

Kendeathwalker on
    edited October 2008
    I want to know what the "." face means now.

The mysteries will never be solved and therefore never exist

Loomdun on
    splat
  • AllanAllan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Tam wrote: »
    You fail at tracing.

I concur. It was copying, but not effortless copying.

Hence the "you fail" amirite?

Allan on
    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif