As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

laptop wireless problem

DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I finish class around 9:30, no problems there. Was on the wireless school network and everything.

10 minutes later, I get back to res, and I boot up, and my wireless icon won't react to anything, and my network is down. I try and reboot, and it takes a good 5 minutes to shut down.

A few reboots later and it's detecting my router, but it refuses to connect. Then, it loses the ability to detect any wireless signals whatsoever.

I end up hard rebooting with the battery, running in safe mode, all that, to no avail.

After about 30 reboots, it's now working, but I'm not exactly trusting it.

This is an HP Pavillion dv6000 running vista by the way.

Any idea what this was all about?

EDIT: While writing this, it cut out again. Heh.

rqv6.png
Davoid on

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    have you tried going in to the wireless settings, deleted your preferred network, and then retrying to connect?

whenever i mess around with my airport, it does weird stuff to my wireless, i have an hp dv4250

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh, I did that. But the problem is much stranger, as in the wireless icon not responding at all, and the wireless indicator at the front not reacting to turning it on or off, heh.

I called them, they updated my bios and drivers after we restored to a few days ago, -but- I'm not confident that'll fix it. If worse comes to worse, they will replace my wireless card.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • Options
    KingsRuleKingsRule Registered User new member
    edited October 2008
    I used to have that same computer and I had the same problem. It ended up being a problem with the motherboard which HP replaced as I was still under warranty. Since it has been replaced I purchased a newer laptop from HP which is now on its way to get the HD replaced after having connection issues to a wireless router at my office...I sense a pattern here.

KingsRule on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Hn, I was reading about that motherboard problem. Apparently, mine is newer, and as a special edition version, it doesn't fall under that problem. It seems to stable now that I've updated the Bios, but, we'll see. I'll be calling them back the moment something goes wrong.

On the plus side, I had some fun chats with the people there. Some guy was telling me about how he got moved to the tech support department after his got outsourced overseas. Some cool people.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png