Options

Religulous

• Options
    Headspace CoolsHeadspace Cools Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    He's basically the left equivalent of Dennis Miller, a so-called comedian who thinks he's a prophet.

This is exactly what I've been saying! He's not as inflammatory as Ann Coulter, but he's a smug pseudo-intellectual, just like Dennis Miller.

I still want a cite on that germ theory thing. If he's into alternative medicine, sure, but denying germ theory is going to take some youtube-grade citing.

He is smug, I'll give you that. But any comparison to Ann Coulter is a stretch... and by 'stretch' I mean 'across the fucking pacific'.

Headspace Cools on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree with Bubba. Bill Maher latches onto whatever is both popular and controversial and then pees on it and demands everyone watch. Stupid Republicans who thought they weren't stupid loved Dennis Miller. Stupid Democrats who think they aren't stupid love Bill Maher.

Yar on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    I still want a cite on that germ theory thing. If he's into alternative medicine, sure, but denying germ theory is going to take some youtube-grade citing.

He's not denying germ theory. He's anti-vaccinations.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0512/15/lkl.01.html
    KING: Worried about Avian flu?

MAHER: Not the least. You know my theory about health.

KING: What?

MAHER: Well, we've talked about it. I'm not into western medicine. That to me is a complete scare tactic. It just shows you, you can...

KING: You mean you don't get a -- you don't get a flu shot?

MAHER: A flu shot is the worst thing you can do.

KING: Why? MAHER: Because it's got -- it's got mercury.

KING: It prevents flu.

MAHER: It doesn't prevent. First of all, that's...

KING: I haven't had the flu in 25 years since I've been taking a flu shot.

MAHER: Well, I hate to tell you, Larry, but if you have a flu shot for more than five years in a row, there's ten times the likelihood that you'll get Alzheimer's disease. I would stop getting your...

KING: What did you say?

MAHER: That went better in rehearsal but it was still good. Absolutely, no the defense against disease is to have a strong immune system. A flu shot just compromises your immune system.

KING: So you don't take any western medicine, don't take an aspirin?

MAHER: Never, an aspirin no. Thousands of people die from aspirin every year.

KING: How do you treat illness?

MAHER: I promise you that if you get a headache the reason for that headache is not aspirin deficiency. The reason...

KING: No, of course not.

MAHER: Right, so you're taking -- so it's not...

KING: Something to take the pain away. Why is that bad?

MAHER: But why don't you find out the real root of that pain?

KING: Well, while you're finding take the aspirin.

MAHER: But that's what we do. We have immediate cures that address the symptom and not the root cause of anything. I have no worries about bird flu whatsoever. First of all, it's not going to happen. Second of all, the fact that it is mutating shows that if you did come up with a vaccine tomorrow, it wouldn't be effective against the disease when the disease comes because the disease is always morphing and mutating. It's just a way to funnel money into the pharmaceutical companies. Follow the money. You'll find out where the bird flu is.

KING: You wouldn't say the Salk vaccine was a bad idea.

MAHER: That's somewhat of a different case, yes.

KING: Polio was eliminated.

MAHER: Yes but, you know, there are many books out that will -- that will -- and I'm not well enough versed on it to talk about it that will indicate that there are other reasons why it was.

And a lot of diseases that have been they say, whoa, this was eliminated because of a vaccine, they find out well no actually the country got toilets and that's what happened.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    By the way, when you say shit like "the flu vaccine contains mercury" on national TV, you lose all your skeptic cred.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Feral wrote: »
    By the way, when you say shit like "the flu vaccine contains mercury" on national TV, you lose all your skeptic cred.

Unless you're hot like Jenny McCarthy.

Because, fuck ya'll I love that bitch.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I completely agree that he takes his hate of religion too far. But there was this one episode that I just loved where he had some republican/religious woman on where he actually got her to admit that religious people do think they're better than non-religious people.

Bill went on one of his typical tirades about how religious people think they're better than non-religious. The woman tries to disagree, but she chose her words poorly and ended up admitting to it after Bill hammered the point home, with his snide "C'mon, admit it, you think you have something other people don't have so you put yourself above them." It was glorious.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    Headspace CoolsHeadspace Cools Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maher really is a left-wing version of Limbaugh, in that he will only fight battles he thinks he can win. He approaches a topic from a position of moral superiority, and that drives me nuts about the guy. Even as an Athiest, myself (more of an Apathiest, really).

If you're not approaching a topic objectively then you're doing a disservice to your audience.

Headspace Cools on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    VoodooV wrote: »
    I completely agree that he takes his hate of religion too far. But there was this one episode that I just loved where he had some republican/religious woman on where he actually got her to admit that religious people do think they're better than non-religious people.

Bill went on one of his typical tirades about how religious people think they're better than non-religious. The woman tries to disagree, but she chose her words poorly and ended up admitting to it after Bill hammered the point home, with his snide "C'mon, admit it, you think you have something other people don't have so you put yourself above them." It was glorious.

And non-religious people think they are better than religious people, see Bill Maher.

So it's kind of a wash in that regard, really.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I don't, and I'm sure there's such a thing as a humble Christian as well.

That said, I have no problem thinking I'm better than people who lack curiousity and the ability to think critically. Whenever I've had a negative view of a Christian, it's been because of that, not because simply being a member of a religion somehow makes you less respectable.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

That said, I have no problem thinking I'm better than people who lack curiousity and the ability to think critically. Whenever I've had a negative view of a Christian, it's been because of that, not because simply being a member of a religion somehow makes you less respectable.

I think you've run into the same type of people that I'm sure others who can't stand Christianity have run into. I'm Catholic, and that being said I will admit there are alot of them out there. Even my own parents (who I believe to be quite humble) can blurt out their opinions when not asked for. I am a practicing Catholic, and have never been one to throw up my opinions on anyone else. There are alot of us humble servants out there. We're just really hard to find, because we don't speak about it. Which I wish is how everyone else no matter where there views lie in religion would act.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Also Relig. cost, what, a couple of plane tickets, a tank of gas and some potato chips to make?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    That blog was hideous.

But anyway, the "per screen" numbers is a misdirection. They purposefully put it only where they knew it would draw positive attention, as opposed to putting it everywhere. They used the same phony stats to hype the success of Inconvenient Truth.

I could make a crappy movie about your neighborhood and play it on one screen in your neighborhood and probably do pretty well in my "per screen" revenue.

Yar on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I think you've run into the same type of people that I'm sure others who can't stand Christianity have run into. I'm Catholic, and that being said I will admit there are alot of them out there. Even my own parents (who I believe to be quite humble) can blurt out their opinions when not asked for. I am a practicing Catholic, and have never been one to throw up my opinions on anyone else. There are alot of us humble servants out there. We're just really hard to find, because we don't speak about it. Which I wish is how everyone else no matter where there views lie in religion would act.

That's where Maher is simply wrong. He seems to think you're mentally deficient if you believe in any sort of religion. Which is simply taking it too far. There are varying degrees of faith. Do you believe in God? Fine, I have no problem with that. Does your faith mean so much to you that you need to impose your faith on others whether they want it or not? That's what I and most people have a problem with. Maher doesn't seem to see that distinction. Or at least he doesn't talk about the distinction too often. I think there have been times where he does fine tune it to where he'll say that if you truly believe that there was a talking snake and the apple, you're nuts. But he doesn't say that all too often. We just hear, "if you believe in any religion, you're an idiot"

VoodooV on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maher never says that. The worst he says is that these people are suffering from a neurological disorder. Basically that these are good people but something screwy is going on in their heads that makes them believe in silly things. It's actually a pretty decent analogy. I know really religious people are going to be offended, etc, but he's not shooting for that crowd anyway.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you believe in God? Fine, I have no problem with that. Does your faith mean so much to you that you need to impose your faith on others whether they want it or not? That's what I and most people have a problem with.

Why is that a valid distinction? That's what they believe. Their God commands them to convert you. Why is that invalid and a belief in a God that doesn't give a shit more valid? Does one have more evidence?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    chaosbearchaosbear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yar wrote: »
    That blog was hideous.

But anyway, the "per screen" numbers is a misdirection. They purposefully put it only where they knew it would draw positive attention, as opposed to putting it everywhere. They used the same phony stats to hype the success of Inconvenient Truth.

I could make a crappy movie about your neighborhood and play it on one screen in your neighborhood and probably do pretty well in my "per screen" revenue.

That's not completely true, considering they put the film on in Oklahoma, one of the most hostile markets to a film of that nature and it still did well here.

chaosbear on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Do you believe in God? Fine, I have no problem with that. Does your faith mean so much to you that you need to impose your faith on others whether they want it or not? That's what I and most people have a problem with.

Why is that a valid distinction? That's what they believe. Their God commands them to convert you. Why is that invalid and a belief in a God that doesn't give a shit more valid? Does one have more evidence?

One earns and deserves more respect than the other. That's the point.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Maher never says that. The worst he says is that these people are suffering from a neurological disorder. Basically that these are good people but something screwy is going on in their heads that makes them believe in silly things. It's actually a pretty decent analogy. I know really religious people are going to be offended, etc, but he's not shooting for that crowd anyway.

It's not a disorder really. A better word would be indoctrination, which religion truly is if you grow up with it. Most people don't have a choice about religion, they're fed it from birth - and then you wont be able to make the choice when you're grown up, because you will already know jesus is king etc... Growing up with religion is actually like removing the right of religious freedom. Because you'll be painted in your corner with the god your parents chose for you...

I doubt more than 1% of people who grew up unaffiliated with religion later in life chooses one... I base this purely on biased assumption though, I just think it's really silly.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It doesn't make their god any more invalid - it just makes them, the people, assholes. Someone feel it necessary to push their religion on others (and I mean missionary style) then yes they are assholes!

Honk on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Honk wrote: »

It doesn't make their god any more invalid - it just makes them, the people, assholes. Someone feel it necessary to push their religion on others (and I mean missionary style) then yes they are assholes!

irony?

EDIT: Sorry that was a lame response; but please lay out to me exactly how what you're saying and what maher is doing is any different? You just think you have a special brand of "right" and makes your point more valid than what you belittle.

When someone comes around with such a strong and unreasonable opinion my first thought is "what religion pissed in their cheerios?" Because honetsly there is absolutely no good reason to have such a narrow minded vehement opinion about something that should you not choose to let it bother you, has no effect on your life. Even if you get someone knocking at your door once or twice a year good Lord; that by no means warrant such a response.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited October 2008

You originally said:
    Does your faith mean so much to you that you need to impose your faith on others whether they want it or not? That's what I and most people have a problem with.

So you have no problem with faith, as long as people don't take it seriously and it's not a big part of their life and it's not important to them.

That's... kinda patronizing, isn't it?

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

irony?

EDIT: Sorry that was a lame response; but please lay out to me exactly how what you're saying and what maher is doing is any different? You just think you have a special brand of "right" and makes your point more valid than what you belittle.

When someone comes around with such a strong and unreasonable opinion my first thought is "what religion pissed in their cheerios?" Because honetsly there is absolutely no good reason to have such a narrow minded vehement opinion about something that should you not choose to let it bother you, has no effect on your life. Even if you get someone knocking at your door once or twice a year good Lord; that by no means warrant such a response.

The difference is I'm right and they're wrong... No but seriously I haven't seen the film yet, nor anything Maher has ever done - but I'm sure I'll like it!

To answer your question: I think maybe because atheists generally don't push their non-beliefs upon others in the way that a few religious ones do, I'm not saying everybody does this but just enough to piss me off. I do it here on an internet forum, but I see and hear crazy persons scream about the rapture on the subway every week. Also the ones that grab a hold of you and stuff you full of pamphlets of religion x and actively prevent you from leaving in a polite fashion. Also the prophets that you read about going into the Amazon to show isolated tribes the true path... I think there's a difference. I can write you a full article of why I hate religion in every form on some other occasion, right now I'm going to sleep.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You originally said:
    Does your faith mean so much to you that you need to impose your faith on others whether they want it or not? That's what I and most people have a problem with.

So you have no problem with faith, as long as people don't take it seriously and it's not a big part of their life and it's not important to them.

I didn't say it no, it appears you quoted VoodooV...

I am, however, kinda patronizing though.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You originally said:

I didn't say it no, it appears you quoted VoodooV...

I am, however, kinda patronizing though.

Oh.

My bad, sorry. Misread the quote tags.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so apparently he doesn't talk about hinduism, buddhism, or taoism at all

does he just let them off the hook or is he doing a sequel or what

Pony on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Pony wrote: »

Going after those folks wouldn't create the supposed outrage, and subsequent publicity, that Maher is seeking. It's not like there's a Hindu League or Council on American-Taoist Relations, professional outrage machines, who will predictably make a big stink over Maher's "I'm being offensive to people! Watch me be offensive! Here I go! Are you offended yet?" schtick.

It's like Carlos Mencia somehow got a hold of a book of religion jokes.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Look, people get offended over political views all the time. I don't see why religion should be any different.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

You originally said:

No, that's not what I said at all. I think there is a pretty clear distinction between being devoutly faithful and exporting your faith to others, between sharing your faith with those who are interested, and cramming it down someone's throat. Or in the words of the great George Carlin: "Keep thine religion to thyself"

but we're diverging away from Religulous

VoodooV on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

Going after people who have little to no representation or effect on the everyday life of his target audience isn't exactly going to be thrilling.

That is to say, how many Taoist channels are in your cable TV package?

Doc on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Doc wrote: »

Going after people who have little to no representation or effect on the everyday life of his target audience isn't exactly going to be thrilling.

I have a Fishing Channel. Does that count?

Feral on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008

A buddhist goes up to a hotdog vendor and says "make me one with everything"

I'll be here all night folks

Doc on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

i suppose that's fair

Pony on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I remember watching that episode. I don't remember anything about milk, but I do remember that Republican chick being slow witted as hell. She acted like she was half awake the entire show. She'd be quick to try and defend her party, but it's like she lost her train of thought so many times.

Then it might have been the one after that which was the one with Alec Baldwin, Christiane Amanpour, Garry Shandling, Bob Woodward. Amanpour said something about Palin that night that kind of ticked me off (something about how Palin will be the first woman in a position of power and how that's great or something..I don't know I just remember feeling the urge to punch her in the throat)

Anyways, for those who haven't seen the movie, spoilers ahead, read at your own risk:
    I do not think that Bill attacks religion during the entire movie without just cause. There are even parts where he says that he understands why certain people cling to it and that even he clung to it when he broke up with his first girlfriend. I really believe he is going after the super religious people who do not dare to look beyond their beliefs for facts like about evolution, or those who make a profit off religion (Scientology/the theme park in Orlando, Florida) who seek to convert gays (as in that one segment with the former gay guy and he talks about his former lesbian wife and their three kids and how they are not gay anymore) to the senator trying to sneak religion into the government and basically how religion is stupid in that it can breed wars like between Islam and Judaism and how Islam built over Jewish holy lands.

The only part where I don't think he really has just cause is when he goes into that Trucker church. He lost me there, but beyond that each scene had a reason.

Mim on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mim wrote: »
    I do not think that Bill attacks religion during the entire movie without just cause. There are even parts where he says that he understands why certain people cling to it and that even he clung to it when he broke up with his first girlfriend. I really believe he is going after the super religious people who do not dare to look beyond their beliefs for facts like about evolution, or those who make a profit off religion (Scientology/the theme park in Orlando, Florida) who seek to convert gays (as in that one segment with the former gay guy and he talks about his former lesbian wife and their three kids and how they are not gay anymore) to the senator trying to sneak religion into the government and basically how religion is stupid in that it can breed wars like between Islam and Judaism and how Islam built over Jewish holy lands.

The only part where I don't think he really has just cause is when he goes into that Trucker church. He lost me there, but beyond that each scene had a reason.

I'm not sure if that really qualifies as a spoiler...oh well.
    I don't get why people call Bill an ass. Yeah, maybe in his other material he is, I don't really know since I don't get US cable, but in this documentary I don't think anyone came away from an interview really upset. He didn't really piss anyone off and most people seemed to like him (except the holocaust denying Jew, but fuck that guy).

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    man. I'm always being misquoted :)

VoodooV on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    man. I'm always being misquoted :)

It's the Voodoo. Instead of switching bodies, we've switched posts.

Mim on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008

Ahaha, that's a good one.

Rust on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

:lol:

But seriously, this Ibrahimic fixation is getting old.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The problem is that it's much harder to use gotcha statements against ideas like Enlightenment and Reincarnation and shit.

Fencingsax on