As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ISP's rights + firewall

BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I am posting this on behalf of a friend. Time Warner sent him a notice and he is wondering whether this is against law or not. It basically tells how they collect informaiton on what he does online, they have the right to access his computer, etc.

I used to have TW when I lived in the US and for 3 years they tried to snoop in my network but couldn't thanks to Sonicwall. They actually called me a number of times to tell me to shut it off or they would cancel my service but I used them for over 3 years and they didn't.

So another question I have is what you all recommend for hard/soft firewalls?

Thanks.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

Basar on

• japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It basically reads like what in the UK is called a "Data Protection Statement". It's a summary of the personal information they hold on their subscribers, what information they collect and what they do with it. I don't see anything in there out of the ordinary for an ISP.

Is it this section?
    We may remotely check your PC to the extent necessary to determine whether it is susceptible to unauthorized access or the dissemination of computer viruses.

Because to me that sounds like boilerplate so that they can notify you if your machine is blasting out spam.

Regarding Firewalls, any NAT Router will give you a decent hardware firewall.

japan on
  • exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Very unlikely that they can successfully pull off the "we can access your computer" bit in any court of law. There is no reason they would want to cancel your service for having a firewall. They can monitor all of your traffic anyway so it's pretty pointless.

This just looks like a "oh by the way we are required by law to tell you this stuff" thing.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited October 2008
    This is probably nothing more than a portscan, which in some courts has been seen as "attempted intrusion" or somesuch. Which, of course, any IT guy worth his salt laughs at.

Echo on
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm curious to know how much of your traffic/destinations that they record and keep?

I always assumed none or next to none but I'm not informed at all however, and I've been becoming more paranoid about it lately.
    Anyone know?

I have a Router. I suppose it just acts as a natural hardware FW?

Endomatic on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I'm curious to know how much of your traffic/destinations that they record and keep?

I always assumed none or next to none but I'm not informed at all however, and I've been becoming more paranoid about it lately.
    Anyone know?

I have a Router. I suppose it just acts as a natural hardware FW?
    All of it, everything is logged. There's generally no reason for anyone to ever look at the logs unless someone requests the information though.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    This is probably nothing more than a portscan, which in some courts has been seen as "attempted intrusion" or somesuch. Which, of course, any IT guy worth his salt laughs at.

I bet they just scripted Steve Gibson's "ShieldsUP!" program.

Remember, it's Pure Assembly(TM) folks, so those NanoProbes(TM) can operate at maximum speed!

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.