As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Amazing, free games for the discerning gamer

RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
There are way too many good games out there, and some of us want to play them all. It even helps that many of them are free! So, I ask you denizens of the internets, give me some good recommendations. I'm sure there are some gems I've missed. I'm looking for more of a real game experience than an addicting flash game or the like, no tower defense for me.

Games I loved or really liked:

Cave Story
Knytt Stories
Iji
Elona
You have to burn the rope(probably the best one)
Tons of Roguelikes
Others I'm probably forgetting

Games I wasn't really into:
Flash Portal
Dwarf Fortress(Ohh god don't hit me)
Any free MMO's

Anyone have some suggestions?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
Raslin on

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I agree with dwarf fortress.

If by wasn't really into means can't understand what the hell is going on.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Free mmo recommendations:

Lunia
    Perfect World
    Puzzle Pirates
    Atlantica Online
    Zu Online
    Dungeon Runners
    Sword of the New World

Many more on my list, but these I played and enjoyed for an extended period of time.

Aldo on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Free mmo recommendations:

Lunia
    Perfect World
    Puzzle Pirates
    Atlantica Online
    Zu Online
    Dungeon Runners
    Sword of the New World

Many more on my list, but these I played and enjoyed for an extended period of time.

I should have mentioned(and have since edited) that I'm not looking at MMO's either. They all make me fall asleep at the keyboard, free or pay. Which is strange, because I have enough trouble falling asleep any other time.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    StriferStrifer Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sueve made an indy games thread, so go there for good times.

Strifer on
    MikoSuikaLine.jpg
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Copypasta from TychoCelchuuu's post, pruned for "Free Only"
    Allegiance*
    America's Army*
    Barkley Shut up and Jam Gaiden*
    Beneath a Steel Sky*
    Cave Story*
    Chivalry is Not Dead*
    Empyreal Nocturne*
    F.E.A.R Combat*
    Freespace*
    Freespace 2*
    Ground Control*
    Masq*
    N*
    Starsiege: Tribes*
    Synaesthete*
    Total Annihilation: Spring*
    Trackmania United Nations* (On STEAM)
    Warzone 2100*

Added:

I Wanna Be The Guy (if you hate yourself or just love ridiculously hard platformers)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I started playing Cave Story yesterday and HOLY SHIT is it good.

I'm all about the Shumps. Everybody needs to play Cho Ren Sha.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll see your I Wanna Be The Guy and raise you a Chzo Mythos. Only if you're into adventure games, though.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you like point 'n click adventure games, give any of these a try. 5 Days a Stranger, 6 Days a Sacrifice, 7 Days a Sceptic. They are free and can be found here:

www.fullyramblomatic.com

These were made by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw of Zero Punctuation fame. I played them before I even knew who Yahtzee was and thought they were great games. And free!

If you don't like point 'n click games, then, um, sorry. :P

Edit: I think one isn't a point 'n click actually. It's been a while and I can't research it thanks to work blocking gaming sites.

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DualEdgeDualEdge Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If he isn't a fan of point and click then he can play Tribly: Art of Theft.

DualEdge on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What? No love for La-Mulana?

Adellios on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Needs more Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turn-based strategy game with 2D sprite graphics.

Warning: Can be extremely addictive and may result in the loss of many hours of your life.
    wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CrazybearCrazybear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DualEdge wrote: »

Damn, I totally forgot about that game.

I didn't think I would like it, but I gave it a chance, and man, it really clicked with me for some reason. Great free game right there!

Crazybear on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcticXCArcticXC Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    nomltest is pretty neat. It's like a mix of ChoRenSha and Kenta Cho's more manic games.

ArcticXC on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Crazybear wrote: »

Damn, I totally forgot about that game.

I didn't think I would like it, but I gave it a chance, and man, it really clicked with me for some reason. Great free game right there!

The Trilby game that is part of the Days arc but not a point-and-click is called Trilby's Notes. It's a text parser and it's fucking incredible.

It definitely helps to have played Skeptic first but it's not required.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    Needs more Battle for Wesnoth. It's a free turn-based strategy game with 2D sprite graphics.

Warning: Can be extremely addictive and may result in the loss of many hours of your life.
    wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

OoOoOoOoOohhhhhhh...........

My boss is going to hate you for introducing me to this.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

2nd for Wesnoth. If anyone ever wants to play someone in that game, drop me a line. PA used to have a core crew of a dozen or so regulars on there. It was awesome.

Also, Estiah is a pretty great free mmo/strategy game that is very enjoyable, but at the same time cannot dominate hours of your day with grinds and the like. The game builders are both ex-WoW players who know how to make a game with only the fun and none of the lame parts of most mmos. Its not exactly "pretty" or has "graphics" but at the same time the strategy buff in me is utterly hooked. Here's the PA thread, and also my ref link if anyone wants to give it a try and help me out at the same time.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kris_xK wrote: »

wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

OoOoOoOoOohhhhhhh...........

My boss is going to hate you for introducing me to this.

It has multiplayer. Make your boss join you.
    It also runs very nicely inside of a virtual machine for you VMWare and Virtual PC fans. :winky:

citizen059 on
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wesnoth was some extremely good times with other PA people.

I'm gonna go ahead and pimp Soldat, the only game besides StarCraft to hold my interest for over 4 years.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thought Puzzle Pirates wasn't free?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Oh! How could I forget about Trackmania Nations Forever?

It's on Steam, and it's essentially this:

trackmanianations1_small.jpg

Drivers from around the world competing on insane stunt tracks for the glory of their country (I make sure to wave a small American flag and play the national anthem every time I complete that inverted double loop twist jump). Race offline to win medals and advance in the world ranking, with separate rankings for country and individual state...or race online to go head-to-head with live competition in individual races.

It's free and you can get it on Steam, in case I didn't mention it. Steam.
    What are you waiting for? Get on Steam now.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Area 51 (kind of average shooter )
    The Suffering

All liberated a day or two ago.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

I was a beta tester for this game. I can attest to its awesomesauce.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is hilarious and a lot more fun than you would expect. Get it.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    King's Quest was remade with VGA graphics by fans.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Full Spectrum Warrior
    Area 51 (kind of average shooter )
    The Suffering

All liberated a day or two ago.

I didn't know about this. I may have to try out FSW.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

Damn, they need to make a DS version of that.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

I agree, that would be pretty awesome.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

wesnoth-1.3.4-g.jpg

I agree, that would be pretty awesome.

Wasn't there homebrew talks about that at some point?

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

Not entirely.
    non-subscribers are quite limited in the types of clothing, swords, and fist weapons they may use. I think furniture purchases as well. They may only be at most cabin person rank in a crew (unless they were a subscriber who lapsed, in which case they retain they rank, though they have no associated powers.) All duty puzzles may be played any day, carousing and crafting puzzles have a schedule of days in which they may be played for free. F'rinstance, Swordfighting is free on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Foraging on Tuesday.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    http://www.forumwarz.com/ is a fun time limited diversion for a week, spending about an hour each day.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Not entirely.
    non-subscribers are quite limited in the types of clothing, swords, and fist weapons they may use. I think furniture purchases as well. They may only be at most cabin person rank in a crew (unless they were a subscriber who lapsed, in which case they retain they rank, though they have no associated powers.) All duty puzzles may be played any day, carousing and crafting puzzles have a schedule of days in which they may be played for free. F'rinstance, Swordfighting is free on Monday, Thursday, and Saturday. Foraging on Tuesday.

This is true.

However, you're missing an important point. Rather than paying a monthly fee, there are two kinds of in-game money. There's Pieces of Eight (PoE), the standard currency that you get from looting and whatnot, and then there are Dubloons, which are used to buy subscription features on a feature-by-feature basis. You can buy Dubloons either with real money or with in-game PoE from other players. If you play the game fairly regularly, it's not difficult to earn enough PoE such that you can get full subscription benefits without paying a cent.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Not entirely.

This is true.

However, you're missing an important point. Rather than paying a monthly fee, there are two kinds of in-game money. There's Pieces of Eight (PoE), the standard currency that you get from looting and whatnot, and then there are Dubloons, which are used to buy subscription features on a feature-by-feature basis. You can buy Dubloons either with real money or with in-game PoE from other players. If you play the game fairly regularly, it's not difficult to earn enough PoE such that you can get full subscription benefits without paying a cent.

That's true. I always forget the doubloons because I play on Cobalt. I'd switch to a doubloon ocean (only 2-3 oceans use them) if it weren't for the fact that I have 3 years of history and hearties on my ocean.

EDIT: To the OP. You mentioned not having interest in MMOs, but how do you feel about puzzle games/competitive puzzle games? Cause Puzzle Pirates is pretty tops for that.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Barkley's Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden is hilarious and a lot more fun than you would expect. Get it.

Awesome points:
    Every save point makes a weeaboo pseudo-intellectual argument before you save
    Every instance of the word guns has a superfluous apostrophe (gun's)
    Furry city in the sewers
    Sha na na na naa sha na na na naaa get a job:whistle:
    Fighting alongside a cybernetic alien dwarf with basketball-skin grafts

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My love for Cave Story cannot be expressed in words.

Can you guys make any reccomendations on games that are similar?

(I've tried I wanna be the guy, but I almost killed myself.)

Sceptre on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh of course Urban Dead.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Masq is a fantastic game and everyone should try it.

Tav on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    august on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    To the OP. You mentioned not having interest in MMOs, but how do you feel about puzzle games/competitive puzzle games? Cause Puzzle Pirates is pretty tops for that.

I agree; I'd hardly consider Puzzle Pirates an 'MMO' in the traditional sense. It's less that you're playing an MMO grind as it is that you're playing a Puzzle Fighter clone and a Bejeweled clone and a Dr. Mario-esque game and so on within the context of a really awesome community. There's a pretty standard MMO framework in place, yeah, but you can completely ignore it if you wish - instead of investing hours upon hours in gigantic guild-organized raids and such, it's just as valid to spend your time in swordfighting competitions (aka Super Puzzle Fighter) or just jobbing with random pirate crews for fun and adventure.

[edit] If you're a fan of adventure games, ScummVM has three or four completely free games you can use with their engine, some of which are fairly decent. There are also hundreds of free high-quality interactive fiction (IF, aka text-based adventure) games available.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Way is pretty good, if you're in to that sort of thing.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I'm looking for more of a real game experience than an addicting flash game or the like, no tower defense for me. Anyone have some suggestions?

If you like the movie Aliens there is a boardgame that was translated to the Flash medium. It is NOT an "addictive" mindless diversion, but an excellent redux of the tabletop experience. The game loads up with three levels to choose from, 1. The Reactor, 2. Operations 3. Rescue Newt

The first level begins with all the Marines and can be played start to finish with an attainable goal of keeping them alive. No easy task!

A flash game website yes, but with a diamond in the rough.
    http://www.onlineflashgames.org/18-miscellaneous/3155-flash-game-aliens/play.html

Noneoftheabove on