As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mac trouble! it doesn't want to sleep [kinda Solved]

NatanekoNataneko Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hello H/A people!
Some of you (I'd be suprised) may remember me from a similar thread months ago where my macbook would not go to sleep because of the bluetooth being broken (sometime the computer would see it, sometime not. my computer would go sleep then wake up making lots of noise)

The problem right now is not the same. first the bluetooth thingy has been repaired, and the mac won't go to sleep according to my energy saver preference, but it will if I force it using sleep from the menu.

Since I'm pretty sure this is software related, what can I do to spot the problem program? Does it happen to you macbook user too? is it firefox 3 related (It started about at the time I installled it)

Thanks!

Nataneko on

• Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You can open up the Activity Monitor under utilities and see if there is something running that would prevent it from going to sleep.

The only time this has happened to me, there was either something open under another user profile that was preventing my Mac going to sleep (iTunes or something), or there was a Software Update dialog hiding under a bunch of open windows (asking if I wanted to restart or something like that).

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I ran trough the activity monitor, there doesn't seem to be anything there that should not be (I could put screenshot if that's any help) Except that after a while, there's "Alert daemon - not responding" showing in red and that's related to messenger. My google fu tells me its something related to office and entourage, but appart from msn messenger, I don't have anything by microsoft installed on my computer.

Nataneko on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I woke up this morning with my computer not sleeping. I ran activity monitor and took a screenshot.

Image_1.png

Firefox and messenger were not running so I guess that means they are not the problem. Is anything there not supposed to? anything else I should check?

Is there some sort of application that would be a super energy saver that would force my computer to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity like it's suposed to?

Nataneko on
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Various things to check in System Preferences:

You said the Bluetooth thing was repaired, but make sure "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer" is unchecked in the Bluetooth panel (might be under advanced).

In Energy Saver -> Options, uncheck "Wake for Ethernet network administrator access". Also click the Schedule button and make sure it's not set to wake up at a certain time.

In Keyboard & Mouse -> Bluetooth, uncheck "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer"

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    They are all unchecked. I read on another forum to run onyx. I'll try that and update you if it does anything.

And I'm not sure if I said it already but it's a macbook with 10.4.11 installed and the only device plugged into are the power and my simple usb logitech mouse.

Nataneko on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So, I finally got tired and went to BestBuy (where I bought my macbook). the guy there couldn't figure what exactly would cause the problem but he confirmed the problem was software related. I then proceded to do a clean install of OSX then adding one program then testing. Turns out Firefox did it

I found this thing on bugzilla. If I understand correctly, the bug is known to them but they are just not working on it. Oh well. At least now I know what was causing the trouble.

Nataneko on