As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Toys'R'Us Buy 2 Get 1 Free Sale 10/12 - 10/18

toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
20061208_empty_wallet_2.jpg

[strike]BONUS: For Sunday & Monday only Wii accessories are 40% off. TRU has excluded Wii remotes and nunchuks from the sale (yeah...) but Wii point cards will be discounted.[/strike] Deal for Wii points is over.

According to the spies at CAG, the TRU B2G1 sale on video games is back this coming Sunday Oct. 12th. For all the gory details, here's an incredibly thorough FAQ stolen from cheapassgamers.com.

Official Toys R Us B2G1 FAQ
Date of Sale: Sunday, October 12th - Saturday, October 18th 2008

In an effort to help the gaming masses, this FAQ will try to answer all questions you may have about this year's Toys R Us sale. It will also help you out in getting more bang out of your buck, how returns and exchanges will be handled, and any other interesting tidbits you may need answered. Any questions, comments, concerns, issues, gripes can be made here.

The Sale
Buy any two video games from anything in stock, and get a third game for free. The free game will either be the cheapest one, or the third game of three games with the same price point.

Is the sale online?
Yes, but until the deal goes online I do not know if there will be restrictions based on system or price point.

Is the deal available in Canada?
Sorry Canuckers

So if I buy three $60 games, I get a $60 game for free?
Yes, you can pick up any three games, at any price point. If three games are the same price the third one rang up at the register will be the free one.

Can I only get three games?
No, you can get as many games as you want, in multiples of three, and you will get a third free for every two you buy.

Can I mix and match my three games?
Yes, you can choose between all available systems for your three games. Example, you can buy two PS3 titles and one Wii title and get the least expensive one free.

What about bundled games (ex. DMC Triple Pack) of games that come with an accessory (ex. Guitar Hero)?
These games are also a part of the sale. As long as the product comes with video game software, no matter the price, it will count for the sale. The only exclusion will be the Wii Zapper.

But a game that comes out the 14th is what I really want, what about that?
Any game that comes out during the week of the sale will be part of the sale. For games that come out after the sale, see the Placeholder section of the FAQ.

Can I preorder a game as one of my games?
No. Unlike a Gamestop, you cannot fully put money down on future titles, only a small, $5 deposit. Games that come out after the 20th of October are not part of the sale.

How the Deal works at the register
(PAY ATTENTION IF YOU ARE CHANCING A RETURN)

Example one, three games, different prices.
000000000000 PS2 Madden 2007 $49.99
000000000000 X360 Dead Rising $59.99
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $29.99

When the three games get rung up, this is how they look on your receipt before the deal is taken off.
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

After the Total key is hit, the game that is the cheapest will go to $0.00. Does not matter the order it is rung, the cheapest one always comes off.

Example two, three games same price
000000000000 X360 Lego Star Wars 2 $49.99
000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $49.99

Once again, before the Total key is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00

When there are three games with the same price, the third game in the list will ALWAYS be the one that comes off as free.

Example three, six games or more, different prices

Before Total is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

When six games or more are bought, the system looks at games three at a time, depending in which order they were scanned, from top to bottom. Here we see that the third $49.99 game scanned, and the $29.99 game came off. It is very crucial that you pay attention to the order that the games are being scanned in when purchasing six or more titles.

Example four, odd amount of games purchased

Before the Total key

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $ 0.00

The register system will always look at the three most expensive games, making the free one out of that set. If you purchase an odd number of games, you do not have to worry if one of them is priced a lot lower then the ones you want for the sale.

Paying attention and knowing this stuff is incredibly important when you are buying multiples of games, and "placeholder" titles for mid week releases.

Return Policy
TRU's video game return policy is 45 days, unopened with a dated receipt or gift receipt. If the game is opened, it can only be exchanged with the same title. No exceptions.

Due to how the deal is rang up, the games that do not come up free can be returned or exchanged for it's full value. The game that rings up free cannot be returned or exchanged because it has no value, only if it is defective can it be exchanged for the same title. Make sure the free game is something you want, or you are pretty much boned.

TRU's M-Rated Policy
Toys R Us has a very strict policy towards M rated software. A very small selection of M rated titles are in view on the floor, the rest are kept locked up behind the register in the glass case. You must be 17 or older with proper identification to buy any M rated game at TRU. If you are interested in a M rated title you do not see, ask an associate if they have it locked up in the back.

How to properly buy Placeholder games
I cannot guarantee this will work at all Toys R Us stores, some management might be against the idea, use at your own risk.

If a game you really want is coming out after the sale ends, but you don't want to risk missing out on something on the shelves right now, the step by step here is what you do. Remember, the return policy is set at 45 days from purchase.

1. Pick the two games that you want.

2. Pick up a game that has the same price point as the game coming out, and the same price point as the two games you picked up. Example, if the game you want is $60, buy three $60 games during the week.

3. Make sure that every third game rung up, the free one, is NOT the placeholder game, but one you want to keep. DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT!

4. When the game you want comes in, bring the receipt and the placeholder game to the customer service desk, and tell them that you want to exchange the game for something else. Make sure you make specific that you want to keep the one or two games, and that you want one or two different games instead. MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO RETURN IS NOT OPENED.

5. If everything is in order, the exchange will be finished and enjoy your new game!

The 45 days will take you into the first week of December, so plan accordingly.

tl;dr

1. Can I buy online? YES

2. Is this sale USA only? 42.gif YES42.gif

3. Is there a limit? NO. However, you have to be careful how the games are rung up. As with any B2G1 deal, the cheapest game is the free one. So if you take 4 360 games and 2 DS games to the counter in one bunch, the 2 DS games will likely be the free ones. If you take 3 360 games to the counter, then take 1 360 game and 2 DS games in a separate bunch, you'll end up getting 1 360 and 1 DS game free.

4. WTF all the games I want come out the week after the sale ends! Boo-hoo. I'm not sure how mods will see this, but the spoiler-tagged post details how you can work around this. In short, TRU has a 45-day return policy so you could buy 3 games during the sale, then take one of them (same value) back whenever the game you want comes out and do an exchange. There are some tricks to it (the game you return can't be the one you get for free), see above.

Let the shopping list compiling begin.

OTP.jpg
toxk_02 on

• Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This always falls on the week after my birthday.

There's a lot of great stuff coming out this week, and a lot of great stuff I have yet to get.

TRU isn't always the best store for stocking all the great stuff we want, but I can usually find 3 things worth getting.

slash000 on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damnit, I just bought Geometry Wars: Galaxies for $10 today, and could've picked up Shadowrun for $5.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kirby Super Star Ultra, Super Mario 64, and ....

Wario Land Shake, Samba de Amigo, and...

Would have to figure out third games. I'm sure if I was presented with a shelf of 'em I could.

That's even if I decide to partake of said sale.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Say my xbox live hasn't worked in about a year and a half, and havn't picked up any games where multplayer has been the main draw. I'm getting Fiber opitc internet soon. What are some games I may have missed

Tommatt on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If only this was 1 week later, Rock band 2 comes out one day after it ends

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Spoit wrote: »

Toys R Us has a 45 day return policy.

... just sayin'.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm. Eternal Sonata, Bioshock, and . . . something.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    oh my god no

The Sneak! on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

... just sayin'.

What good does this do exactly?

Time Travel, buy the game, go back to the past, and then return the game and rebuy the game during the sale?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008

... just sayin'.

Time Travel, buy the game, go back to the past, and then return the game and rebuy the game during the sale?

I uh... huh?

Buy a game you don't want. After the sale is over, trade it in for the game you do want.

edit: also, make sure the one you intend on returning isn't the one zero'd out on the receipt. They won't accept a return on that one.

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, on second thought I'm thinking Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion ($30), Eternal Sonata ($40), and then a free game. But what free game?! WHAT FREE GAME?!

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited October 2008

... just sayin'.

I uh... huh?

Buy a game you don't want. After the sale is over, trade it in for the game you do want.

edit: also, make sure the one you intend on returning isn't the one zero'd out on the receipt. They won't accept a return on that one.

I'm pretty sure it's not quite that cut and dry.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Not that I would or anything, but I've heard that you can get gift receipts for the PAID games and just, you know, return within 45 days for one of the other awesome games out in that time. So I've heard. Fable 2 and Littlebigplanet out the next week is all I'm saying.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

... just sayin'.

I uh... huh?

I'm pretty sure it's not quite that cut and dry.

It is.
    DETAILS

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Just so you know, there are people in that thread that say their local Toys 'r' us wised up to such dealings in years past.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Couldn't you get a completely free game buy buying 3 and just returning 2?

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Store credit only I'm sure.

But fuck this sale ends 2 days before the release of Dead Space. If that wasn't the case I could set up an epic plan. Basically I'd buy 2 random expensive 360 games and get Dead Space for free. Then I'd bring both of the other 360 games back for Fallout 3 and Resistance 2 and be contented with the world. Unfortunately the stars just aren't aligned for that and there aren't any other games I REALLY want at the moment.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Nope. All receipts have the information about the B2G1 on them, so it would prompt the cashier to ask for the third game or it wouldn't work. The funny part about when this sale comes up every year is that most of the posts are about people trying to exploit it, as if they're the first people to ever think of this. :P

The long and short of it, as detailed above and especially detailed in the CAG thread, is that the return policy of each store and willingness of the cashier and/or manager is really, really, really YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary, in CAG-speak). Almost everyone agrees that:

1. You cannot carte blanche return any of the games for straight profit, unless you return all three in one batch.
    2. If you're trying to exchange for a game after the B2G1 sale period, make sure it isn't the "free" game in the batch, because that almost never works.

Everything else beyond that is up to you, the person you get to ring you up and how much chutzpah you have. If you try to do this, make sure it's with games you don't mind keeping or using as gifts/Goozex fodder.

The best way I've found to exploit this sale is to team up with friends to get a brand-new game for 33 percent off. I'll be calling and texting people this week to arrange our plan of attack.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It seems like this happens to me every time TRU runs this sale. All 3 of the games I would want to use this deal for come out the very next week. If at least one of them were out during the sale, I could exploit it the way others have mentioned, but I can't even do that.

Dirty on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Man...I wish this was coming out a week later...then I could get Dead Space, Fable 2 and Infinite Undiscovery...though I think I'll still have to look into it, sounds interesting.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Man...I wish this was coming out a week later...then I could get Dead Space, Fable 2 and Infinite Undiscovery...though I think I'll still have to look into it, sounds interesting.

Yeah..I could have gotten LBP, Web of Shadows and Fable 2.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As a TRU R-Zone employee, I love the OP. Well done.

I'll try to be on this week to answer any lingering questions.

Oh, and buy my games, please. My back room is a fucking mess from changing the layout of the store around.

MHYoshimitzu on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think TRU strategically plans this sale days before the release of big titles every year.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I think TRU strategically plans this sale days before the release of big titles every year.

Yep.

Clear out the old, make room for the holiday rush of new stuff.

slash000 on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just wish they didn't do it so close to the holiday rush. I end up just resenting the sale and not partaking in it.

Dirty on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My Wallet wrote:
    20061208_empty_wallet_2.jpg

urahonky on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'll go and take a look, but I don't plan to buy anything.

But I never was good at planning.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Wait a tic, I just noticed the note about Wii accesories being 30% off.

I'm tempted to pick up a Wii points card or 5.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmm, it might be about time for me to pick up Mario Galaxy. And Metroid Prime 3. And Mario Kart. Wii and DS versions. And Rock Band 2. And...lots of other shit I'm sure.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can already think of 3 Wii games that I want to get that are already out. then again, Christmas is coming up and I need money for presents...

Curse my natural generosity!

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Oh dang, yeah, Wii points cards. And Geo Wars Galaxies... And TWEWY maybe...And the last 2 phoenix wright games...

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcusArcus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As an addendum to the idea of buying a placeholder game, I've always asked for a gift receipt for them. Whenever I do an exchange with a gift receipt, it's usually no questions asked. You still have to make sure that the placeholder game isn't the free one though

Arcus on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I read through the OP but maybe not clearly enough.

If I buy 3 wii points cards do i get one for free?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

No, it's only 30% off each. The games are buy 2 get 1 free.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Although you're technically correct, the B2G1 actually gets you 33 percent off of each game for 3 games priced the same, so buying points cards at 30 percent off is pretty much the same thing. :rotate:

Minamimoto-2.jpg

So zetta slow!

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

Although you're technically correct, the B2G1 actually gets you 33 percent off of each game for 3 games priced the same, so buying points cards at 30 percent off is pretty much the same thing. :rotate:

Minamimoto-2.jpg

So zetta slow!

Wow... you-- you're right.

... soh cah toa...

Doc Holliday on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Now I remember why I stopped playing TWEWY

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Renzo wrote: »
    Now I remember why I stopped playing TWEWY

beathuhos9.jpg

Lunker on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    the TRU in my town totally shut down

it's a very sad looking building now.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Considering I just recently got a DS, and only have 2 games (TWEWY and NSMB), I'm definitely gonna take advantage of this deal. Right now I'm thinking of getting:

Mario Kart DS + FF IV + Phantom Hourglass. Still haven't decided though. So many games I'd wanna get. I only wanna limit myself to 3 though, for now. Don't wanna spend too much or get too many games at once.

dclee on