Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm aware of the Brave series (or, more specifically, I'm aware of GaoGaiGar), but I haven't really looked into it a whole lot. Some of these things can get pretty expensive, and I'm trying really hard not to go crazy buying too many of these big/fancy/rare toys. The problem is that pretty much as soon as I see them (especially combiners; I don't know what it is about them that appeals to me so), I get this burning need to possess them. So, I try not to expose myself to brand new series - it'll just end in heartbreak (for my wallet).

Have you seen those TFClub Devastator prototypes? Those look amazing. I suspect that that's going to be my next big purchase (and I just know it's going to cost an arm and a leg). It's honestly probably the most impressive toy I've seen in a very long time. Also, that Reflector looks damn sweet.

I also really dig the Samurai Sentai Shinkenger zords, but I became aware of them late in the game, and imports from Japan are pretty expensive now (and a lot of the stores I normally use, like HLJ or BBTS, don't even have them anymore). I was excited when I found out that they were going to officially bring the toys to the States - finally I'd be able to get these for a reasonable price! Then I found out that they're actually brand new molds, which are greatly simplified, and much less interesting. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Delduwath on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I'm aware of the Brave series (or, more specifically, I'm aware of GaoGaiGar), but I haven't really looked into it a whole lot. Some of these things can get pretty expensive, and I'm trying really hard not to go crazy buying too many of these big/fancy/rare toys. The problem is that pretty much as soon as I see them (especially combiners; I don't know what it is about them that appeals to me so), I get this burning need to possess them. So, I try not to expose myself to brand new series - it'll just end in heartbreak (for my wallet).

Have you seen those TFClub Devastator prototypes? Those look amazing. I suspect that that's going to be my next big purchase (and I just know it's going to cost an arm and a leg). It's honestly probably the most impressive toy I've seen in a very long time. Also, that Reflector looks damn sweet.

I also really dig the Samurai Sentai Shinkenger zords, but I became aware of them late in the game, and imports from Japan are pretty expensive now (and a lot of the stores I normally use, like HLJ or BBTS, don't even have them anymore). I was excited when I found out that they were going to officially bring the toys to the States - finally I'd be able to get these for a reasonable price! Then I found out that they're actually brand new molds, which are greatly simplified, and much less interesting. FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Uh, ok. Then I will hold off linking you to pictures of all the Brave toys. Your wallet would scream.

Yeah, a few of us keep up with all the Transformers toy news in the Transformers thread. I am definitely getting that Not-Devastator and those Not-Insecticons to go with my Not-Bruticus, Not-Rodimus Prime and Not-Ultra Magnus.

They do that every year with Power Rangers toys vs. Sentai toys. While I do think the Sentai versions are impressive, I just don't think they're as good as they cost, even when they came out. Back then Shinken-Oh was still like $80+ by itself. I just went with the candy toy versions, they cost much less and actually have articulation, even if they are a lot smaller. And the Samurai Zord isn't really that bad, it just doesn't have the emblem modes and is smaller with less detailing. Well, the dragon is also screwed up. Eh.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Schide wrote: »
    Uh, ok. Then I will hold off linking you to pictures of all the Brave toys. Your wallet would scream.

If you happen to have some nice, comprehensive pictures of those toys? I will totally look at them. And thank you for it.
    Yeah, a few of us keep up with all the Transformers toy news in the Transformers thread. I am definitely getting that Not-Devastator and those Not-Insecticons to go with my Not-Bruticus, Not-Rodimus Prime and Not-Ultra Magnus.

I should check in there. I don't really venture outside of Graphic Violence, but Transformers is certainly a subject I'm interested in.

I picked up the FansProject City Commander (I assume this is what you mean by Not-Ultra Magnus) when it became available again a bunch of months ago. I didn't have Classics Ultra Magnus, so I had to buy that one, too. It's pretty neat, but I'm not sure I'd recommend someone get City Commander if they don't have Classics Ultra Magnus.

I also got FansProject Explorer and Munitioner (the add-ons to ROTF Bruticus) as soon as they became available; I also didn't have ROTF Bruticus, so I had to grab that one as well. I HEARTILY recommend this one. ROTF Bruticus went from being one of my least-liked things (I think that Scramble City-style combiners are straight-up shameful. I think the engineers who design those should be embarrassed) to one of my most-liked things. It honestly becomes a completely different toy.
    They do that every year with Power Rangers toys vs. Sentai toys. While I do think the Sentai versions are impressive, I just don't think they're as good as they cost, even when they came out. Back then Shinken-Oh was still like $80+ by itself. I just went with the candy toy versions, they cost much less and actually have articulation, even if they are a lot smaller. And the Samurai Zord isn't really that bad, it just doesn't have the emblem modes and is smaller with less detailing. Well, the dragon is also screwed up. Eh.

Yeah, I was kinda shocked at how high-quality the candy toy versions were. As for the Samurai Zord, I dunno, I guess it's just the principle of the thing. I feel like I'm getting a cheap knock-off rather than the real deal. I wonder why they do it. Is it because the Power Rangers-ified version is cheaper to manufacture? Or because it passes certain safety/quality tests that the Sentai version might not?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well here you go, Links to pictures and a nice little review of most of the figures for every Brave series. Plus the Eldoran series to boot. You asked for it!

Yeah, City Commander, Crossfire Munitioner and Explorer, and Protector (Rodimus). I also got a Headrobot Hothead Hardhead upgrade, Headrobot Cobra and a Skyjack Skyfall upgrade. Oh, and Knight Morpher Commander Annihilator. All very nice third party figures and whatnot. Except for the Battle Rollar one I had but didn't like so I sold it. And preorders for some other stuff, like the combining Predaking sword thing. But that Devastator just looks on a whole other level.

I'm pretty sure it's mostly for cost, although there could be safety concerns I'm not aware of. Mostly downgraded version of things like that are for cost. Well, I think it's a combination of it being cheaper to produce the smaller, less detailed versions, and the fact that it's definitely harder to sell bigger and more expensive toys, especially in non-holiday seasons. I do have the Samurai Zord, by the way. I am probably going to get the rest of the zords too, and will have a candy Gokaioh on the way in another month or so. It still pisses me off that they had to release the next few zords all separately with jacked up prices though.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, some of those are super-cool! I imagine they're all crazy-expensive and hard-to-find these days?

In the meantime, I've gone a little Mugenbine crazy. I found some neat photos where people basically combined what looks like every Mugenbine toy under the sun to make glorious, monstrous gestalts. Check 'em out:
    v6sq5g.jpg
    b0058836_10334585.jpg
    machinerobogestalt.jpg
    b0058836_2252272.jpg

Must. Get.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, those things are pretty crazy.

Braves are somewhat hard to find, yes, but a lot of that depends on what you're looking for. They are pretty expensive though. This Ebay store is a good example of the prices you'll typically find. But checking Ebay and other places for better deals is usually the way to go. Or Yahoo Japan via a proxy service.

Schide on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Late to the party: Finally found a local WfC Soundwave, which apparently has the best articulation out of the four figures. (Five if you count "WfC" Cliffjumper, which I do because I got him instead of Bumblebee.)

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IS THAT FUCKING THING BIGGER THAN FORTRESS MAXIMUS

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh hey, that part didn't even register. Dang.

To be fair, though, that's probably several hundred dollars' worth of toys glommed together into one thing.

(I must have them.)

Delduwath on
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    IS THAT FUCKING THING BIGGER THAN FORTRESS MAXIMUS

Blasphemy.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    So I've been on a kick lately thanks to my tattoo artist, who still collects Spawn stuff, and I've been buying up ones that I'd enjoyed in the past but got rid of in a fire sale when I thought I would have to find a new place to live in a hurry last year.

Some of these have gone way, way up in value. Only looking for a few figures, but damn. One in particular, Nightmare Spawn, is living up to its name. Gonna end up dropping $90 for one still in-package, but that's really the only way I collect 7" scale now, since they're easier to display and I just don't have shelf space. I did, in a weird twist of luck, ended up getting a loose Nightmare Spawn for free from my tattoo artist Friday night, but the base is so criminally terribly designed that I've had to fix it with epoxy and glue, and I don't know how it will hold being that the figure is so heavy, and it's floating.

I have to say, though, for all the LOL GRIMDARK shit I've talked about Spawn in the past few years, many of the figures are works of art.

cr0w on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Gonna break into your house and steal all of your toys.

Well, that's not true; I'm not interested in the sports-related figures, so you can keep those.

P.S. Dropped a truly unjustifiable amount of cash on some Mugenbine toys last night (both candy and regular versions). WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Some classics, some new bootlegs as compiled by Comics Alliance.

Must. Own. Specialman.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They missed one of my favorite bootlegs, I will someday own Spider-Man Adventure Hero!

458438763_b592da3434.jpg

Someday , someday.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ha! They even gave him spider themed fishing gear. Awesome. Simply awesome.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cade on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Last week I got some of those new Thor movie figures because I finally saw them, but...I'm not sure I actually want to keep them. They're not bad or anything, they're just not doing anything for me, really. And I actually like the wacky weapons. My favorites are probably the Frost Giants though. I got the regular one and also the Deluxe darker one. They look really good and their ice weapons are neat.

But again, I might just sell them because I'm kind of planning to have a sale with a bunch of stuff because as can be seen in my collection pictures, I have absolutely no space left.

Schide on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are the frost giants oversized, or the same size as the rest of the figures? I haven't seen any Thor toys in the stores around here.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They're maybe an inch or two taller

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, about an inch. Thor's about 4" and the Frost Giants are about 5".

I'll still probably end up taking pictures of them either way.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Darn, I was hoping for Galactus/Sentinel/Giant-Man Skrull figure sized Frost Giants. Not that they look THAT big in the trailers, it would just be cool.

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well there's always this if you want a huge Frost Giant.

Not the movie design, but still pretty cool.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    As a matter of fact, I do want that! Never seen that figure before, and I'm not seeing it on Ebay? Is it a new design?

Hensler on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's part of an upcoming Gigantic Battles pack with a Loki figure that hasn't been released yet. Not really sure when it's supposed to be released either.

Schide on
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When they were setting up the Thor display at work I got to play with the Mjöllnir made by nerf. I was really disapointed in the fact it's really soft foam rubber.

As for running out of room I collect Star Wars figures I ran out of room long ago I use the really big containers people use to store X mas Trees or other big things in I have seven of them full and I do have to get more as I just keep the figures in the bags I bought them in till I catalog them and then store them

I started collecting the Gi joe figures after the Sideshow toys Snake eyes and movie came out I don't have as much as I do with Star Wars but it's basically overtaken my room

Brainleech on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok here we have things. Super Sentai Candy Toys Gokaioh with some Shinken-Oh and Gosei Great, Transformers RtS Lugnut, WWE Defining Moments The Rock and Brave Super Build Tiger.
    Super Sentai Things
    CandyGokaioh01.jpg

CandyGokaioh02.jpg

CandyGokaioh03.jpg

CandyGokaioh04.jpg

CandyGokaioh05.jpg

CandyGokaioh06.jpg

CandyGokaioh07.jpg

CandyGokaioh08.jpg

CandyGokaioh09.jpg

CandyGokaioh10.jpg

CandyGokaioh11.jpg

CandyGokaioh12.jpg

CandyGokaioh13.jpg

CandyGokaioh14.jpg

CandyGokaioh15.jpg

CandyGokaioh16.jpg

CandyGokaioh17.jpg

CandyGokaioh18.jpg

CandyGokaioh19.jpg

CandyGokaioh20.jpg

CandyGokaioh21.jpg

CandyGokaioh22.jpg

CandyGokaioh23.jpg

Transformers Reveal The Shield Lugnut
    RevealTheShieldLugnut1.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut2.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut3.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut4.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut5.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut6.jpg

RevealTheShieldLugnut7.jpg

WWE Defining Moments The Rock
    WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock01.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock02.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock03.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock04.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock05.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock06.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock07.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock08.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock09.jpg

WWEDefiningMomentsTheRock10.jpg

Brave Super Build Tiger
    BraveSuperBuildTiger01.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger02.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger03.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger04.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger05.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger06.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger07.jpg

BraveSuperBuildTiger08.jpg

Schide on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ok here we have things. Super Sentai Candy Toys Gokaioh with some Shinken-Oh and Gosei Great, Transformers RtS Lugnut, WWE Defining Moments The Rock and Brave Super Build Tiger.

[Photos]

I gotta say, I continue to be impressed by the quality of the candy toys. They are way better and way more interesting from an engineering point of view than they have any right to be (although I'm not enjoying putting the stickers on the candy Mugenbines I just got in the mail; I'm just anal-retentive enough that this process is torture).

I watched a video review of the non-candy version of the Gokaioh, and man, that has got to be the laziest design I've ever seen on a transforming/gattai toy. I guess it's impressive that those panels open up when you turn the thing on its back, but that's the only notable thing about it. Every zord is basically a block, transforming it to become a part of the combined mode basically involves flipping one thing this or that way, and there's no articulation anywhere. Compare that to the sublime Mahou Sentai Magiranger (or Power Rangers Mystic Force) zords. Such a shame.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the Samurai Candy Toy? I've been looking for one for a month.

MastaP on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    MastaP wrote: »

Hey, I hope you don't mind me asking, but where did you get the Samurai Candy Toy? I've been looking for one for a month.

I got mine at the beginning of last year when they were more widely available. I hear that after awhile they start to reissue them in China, but I'm not sure how long that takes. If I hear something about it I can probably post about it in the thread, because they are pretty cool toys.

Schide on
  • Options
    cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Commissioned a laughing Joker sculpt from The Dark Knight a couple months back, and finally got it in today. Popped it on a Hot Toys body and voila! Instant creepy!

195187_10150113626323751_605873750_6375271_5302842_o.jpg

cr0w on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You made me want to follow suit Schide. Finally got around to taking shots of my room.

My Collection

Yes I need to dust, shuuush. And this isnt counting the tub full of TF movie/animated/etc that I dont have room for, and the other tub of Iron Man, Marvel Universe, GIJoe, and DCUC that is also stuffed in my closet waiting for another shelf to be bought.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reigner wrote: »

You made me want to follow suit Schide. Finally got around to taking shots of my room.

My Collection

Yes I need to dust, shuuush. And this isnt counting the tub full of TF movie/animated/etc that I dont have room for, and the other tub of Iron Man, Marvel Universe, GIJoe, and DCUC that is also stuffed in my closet waiting for another shelf to be bought.

Sweeeeet. Looking through this, I'm reminded that I need:

Music Label Soundwave (Probably missed the boat on this)
    Animated Blackout (Ebay has a lot of them for like ~$53 shipped, I should get one soon)
    Shadow Scythe (come on KO)
    PCC Dinobots (Hoping HTS gets them back in stock eventually)
    Animated Wingblade Optimus (I didn't actually see this in you pictures but I was still reminded.
    Perfect Effect figures (I dunno, maybe)

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Have some pictures.

Iron Man Subterranean Armor
    IMIISubterraneanArmorIronMan1.jpg

IMIISubterraneanArmorIronMan2.jpg

IMIISubterraneanArmorIronMan3.jpg

IMIISubterraneanArmorIronMan4.jpg

6" Titanium Man
    IMII6inTitaniumMan1.jpg

IMII6inTitaniumMan2.jpg

IMII6inTitaniumMan3.jpg

IMII6inTitaniumMan4.jpg

6" Movie Hulkbuster thing
    IMII6inHulkbusterIronMan1.jpg

IMII6inHulkbusterIronMan2.jpg

IMII6inHulkbusterIronMan3.jpg

IMII6inHulkbusterIronMan4.jpg

IMII6inHulkbusterIronMan5.jpg

G1 Scorponok:
    G1Scorponok24.jpg

G1Scorponok25.jpg

G1Scorponok26.jpg

G1Scorponok27.jpg

G1Scorponok28.jpg

DotM Preview Prime:
    DotMPreviewOptimusPrime1.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime2.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime3.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime4.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime5.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime6.jpg

DotMPreviewOptimusPrime7.jpg

PCC Undertow:
    PCCUndertow01.jpg

PCCUndertow02.jpg

PCCUndertow03.jpg

PCCUndertow04.jpg

PCCUndertow05.jpg

PCCUndertow06.jpg

PCCUndertow07.jpg

PCCUndertow08.jpg

PCCUndertow09.jpg

PCCUndertow10.jpg

Schide on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    SCUBA HELMET FUCK YEAH

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh my goodness, you got a G1 Skorponok. How many arms and legs did you have to sell to afford that?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Eight.

Weren't mine though.

Schide on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Eight.

Weren't mine though.

Clever. I shall have to remember that. Hmm. What do you recommend? Meat cleaver, hacksaw...?

Shadowen on
  • Options
    143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finally picked up new-gen Kup, Scourge, and Wreck-Gar. So yay for that.

Now to just find a Deluxe Galvatron for a non-ridiculous price to complete my pseudo-movie collection.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • Options
    jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's no action figure, but my wife took to my strat's pick guard for some happy birthday screen printing for me. 217751_10150145046096502_675636501_7065779_940726_n.jpg

jeddy lee on
    Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3