Options

The new action figures thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Schide wrote: »
    redfield85 wrote: »
    Ok so I've gone from having 2 Marvel Legends figures to having 24 Marvel and DC figures and most of the Fin Fang Foom BAF in a little over 2 weeks.

Should I be concerned with this development.

Depends. How is your wallet? Can you afford more figures AND corndogs for the penalty box?

Brother, there's always cash for corndogs.

But yeah, pretty much all of them I got for cheap, so my wallet's fine for now. I'm only getting the last part for Foom (which unfortunately might cost way too much) and maybe like the one figure I've wanted for a few years now, then that's it until maybe the new DCU wave starts showing up.

Why not check out Comic Con in February? They might have a exhibitor with open figures/parts. Although, the trip and ticket might cost more than you would spend now just browsing your location/online.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=56737&start=60
    Second, Hasbro is reducing all their offerings and focusing on core product in 2009 - and this is a very recent decision. Marvel and ALL other brands will be affected. Yes, we'll see the 3 3/4" lines (X-Men cartoon, Wolv Movie, MU) but there are NO extensions yet planned for the fall - and that includes MU. Mighty Muggs (all brands) are gone by the end of the year (really surprising considering the low R&D costs and seemingly strong sales), as are Titanium (a bad idea that never sold anyway). Not sure about Superhero Squad or the other brand variations of this style, but would imagine these and others - like the Transformers crossovers - are in danger as well. This doesn't bode well for the ongoing relationship.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I figured Muggs were a cash cow for them, but the relationship's headed south apparently. No skin off my back, though ... I have a few Muggs but they never lit the spark for me like a lot of other urban vinyl has. Most of my money goes to 1/6 stuff anyhow. This is interesting, though:
    Fourth, Marvel is slicing the license so thin it is hard to imagine that Hasbro isn't pissed. Look for a huge (for collectors) announcement about 1:6 Marvel figures that will easily take the place of ML as the fave Marvel line ever for many well-heeled fans.
    Hope that means Hot Toys has a license for high end Marvel figures ... that would be incredible.

Bobo on
  • Options
    grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bobo wrote: »
    Second, Hasbro is reducing all their offerings and focusing on core product in 2009 - and this is a very recent decision. Marvel and ALL other brands will be affected. Yes, we'll see the 3 3/4" lines (X-Men cartoon, Wolv Movie, MU) but there are NO extensions yet planned for the fall - and that includes MU. Mighty Muggs (all brands) are gone by the end of the year (really surprising considering the low R&D costs and seemingly strong sales), as are Titanium (a bad idea that never sold anyway). Not sure about Superhero Squad or the other brand variations of this style, but would imagine these and others - like the Transformers crossovers - are in danger as well. This doesn't bode well for the ongoing relationship.
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news. I figured Muggs were a cash cow for them, but the relationship's headed south apparently. No skin off my back, though ... I have a few Muggs but they never lit the spark for me like a lot of other urban vinyl has. Most of my money goes to 1/6 stuff anyhow. This is interesting, though:
    Fourth, Marvel is slicing the license so thin it is hard to imagine that Hasbro isn't pissed. Look for a huge (for collectors) announcement about 1:6 Marvel figures that will easily take the place of ML as the fave Marvel line ever for many well-heeled fans.
    Hope that means Hot Toys has a license for high end Marvel figures ... that would be incredible.
    Incredible but way to expensive

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BoboBobo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2009
    I like buying more expensive stuff. Keeps my collection a reasonable size and the stuff retains its value better.

Bobo on
  • Options
    TylerM23TylerM23 Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Bobo wrote: »

Yeah, except this is posted by a guy with a total of three posts and cites no sources. Not to mention in the same thread's there is an actual quote from Jesse Falcon (one of Toy Biz's guys who was always vocal in the fan community and has worked with Hasbro) that says more info is coming about the 6" line. So, yeah....

TylerM23 on
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    That's sad to hear about the Muggs, if it's true. The Star Wars ones have started to kinda clog shelves down here, but the Marvel ones seem to be selling through pretty well at every store i go to.

On the other hand, keeping that $40-80 a month wouldn't kill me either, and i AM running out of room for them....

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pfft, what else are you going to spend it on, food, clothing, the base essentials of modern living? Who needs that junk.

It would suck if Mighty Muggs were canceled for the people who buy them, but I don't, even though I think some of them are kind or neat (and I might have gotten some of the Transformers one) but I won't miss them myself.

Schide on
  • Options
    ScumdoggScumdogg Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Pfft, what else are you going to spend it on, food, clothing, the base essentials of modern living? Who needs that junk.

Pfft. I'll just go back to spending more on older toys, this is the circle of life.

Scumdogg on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    My next purchase, if all goes well (ie if I can fucking find one)

3161_DSCN4689_3x4_a.jpg

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Can anyone tell me when the 3rd Series of the JLA action figures will be out? I'd like a Flash and Green Lantern.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Ruins wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me when the 3rd Series of the JLA action figures will be out? I'd like a Flash and Green Lantern.

Which figures do you mean, like the smaller poorly articulated Justice League figures that have been going for a long time now or the newer 6" figures that are comparable to Marvel Legends? Or maybe something that I don't even know about, I suppose.

Schide on
  • Options
    RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Which figures do you mean, like the smaller poorly articulated Justice League figures that have been going for a long time now or the newer 6" figures that are comparable to Marvel Legends? Or maybe something that I don't even know about, I suppose.
    Don't know, just saw an ad for them in the new Batman and liked the way they look.

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Man, I picked up the new Rorschach figure today and it's awesome.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Don't know, just saw an ad for them in the new Batman and liked the way they look.

Oh, ok. I'd have to see the ad then or like a solit somewhere because I dunno about them. But if I do I'll be sure to mention when they're out.

And damn, those Watchmen figure are out? Crap...I might have to get me some of them.

Schide on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Damn, the news about Mighty Muggs is depressing. I've stopped getting Star Wars and Marvel ones, but I was gung ho on the Transformers line.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    %5CAUTOIMAGES%5CDC27591lg.jpg

<3

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    McClyMcCly Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I heard he couldn't stand for shit.

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    He's fine if you attach him to his base.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Picked up the new(er) Darth Vader and Spider-Man Mighty Muggs today. I now have 9. I'm only getting one more to round them out, but I don't know who I want. I'm thinking Ultimate Cap...

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Oh sweet Jesus.

While I was trolling around the local comic shop, I found some primo Farscape action figures from almost a decade ago. At their original price.

They are so awesome.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I found variant Sinestro today at WalMart! Someone swapped him out with Mr. Miracle's bubble and Hawkman's card. I have no idea why they would swap Sinestro of all figures.

Then I went to another WalMart and found all of wave 6 (including all variants), except for Captain Marvel. :(

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    So I just happened to get this in the mail today.
    DP1.jpg

Yeah, Marvel Legends Deadpool. Let me tell you, this is a pretty great figure right here.

DP2.jpg

Plenty of weapons you can swap out, great articulation.

DP3.jpg

The balance doesn't suck, and hey, he's Deadpool.

DP4.jpg

He also has an alternate head you can swap out.

DP5.jpg

And now Doop has a new hat.

DP6.jpg

No stand, but eh.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I used to have (well, still have somewhere) this Deadpool figure:

51g5qetxAbL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I used to play with all my figures down the shore a long time ago. I remember Deadpool's arm got broke (well, from his elbow down). I still used to use him all the time. Thought it was such an awesome figure. I might have to look into this one. I am more of a Deadpool fan after seeing Hulk vs Wolverine.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    I might have had that one too, but I don't really remember. I used to get some of those old X-Men figures way back when but I don't really have any of them anymore. I was actually looking for that one too at stores that sell old toys and stuff but I never saw one.

Hmm, actually that old one isn't going for that much on Ebay, I just might have to pick one up. More Deadpools couldn't hurt.

Oh, and there's a Deadpool figure upcoming from the new Wolverine movie. Not bad.

Schide on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    are you talking about these?

Are they part of the 3 3/4" scale?

Also, here are some coming out for the Wolverine cartoon series also.

I dig Avalanche with a handlebar.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yes and yes.

I'm not really a big fan of 3-3/4" figures but what the hell. Though Wolverine and the X-Men figures look pretty nice though. Still not getting any, but nice nonetheless.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Hi, I'm the Wolverine cartoon Wolverine and I hold my claws.

*barf*

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    WOW
    who thought that would be a good idea to have the claws set up like that

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    that cyclops looks pretty bad ass

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • Options
    NAPNAP Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    Are there any websites devoted to action figure news? I am interested in upcoming stuff, although I'm not a collector.

NAP on
    PSN & XBL gamertags in spoiler tag:
    PSN: napharris
    NAP26.jpg

Add me for SF4, I'll play anyone.
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Toy News International covers pretty much everything, with entire separate kind of sites devoted to different toylines, like Transformers, Marvel, DC, GI Joe, etc.

Schide on
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    good god that new black adam looks boss

the JLU one too!

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited February 2009
    EDIT: stupid ass protected images.

This post was intended to point out how awesome the upcoming DCAU figures of the Alex Toth created Super Friends characters were: Apache Chief, Black Vulcan, and Samurai.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Just a picture of the figures I got at Comic Con this weekend.
    3264850945_261610caa5_b.jpg

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, Mouse Guard and Rorscach, nice. I've been tempted to get the Watchmen figures, but...I dunno, I'd kind of like to see more real shots of them first. I'm heading into town to a retro toy store, so I might get something interesting tomorrow. I sort of have money this time too.

Hey Redfield, you ever collect any McFarlane hockey figures or even old Starting Lineups?

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Oh, Mouse Guard and Rorscach, nice. I've been tempted to get the Watchmen figures, but...I dunno, I'd kind of like to see more real shots of them first. I'm heading into town to a retro toy store, so I might get something interesting tomorrow. I sort of have money this time too.

Hey Redfield, you ever collect any McFarlane hockey figures or even old Starting Lineups?

I have a few. I have the Roenick (Flyers) vs Turco (Dallas) thing opened. Surprisingly, I think that is the only ones I have.

I have quite a few figures in my room, but most are random things I like. I don't really collect one series. I have in my room:

-Carmine (SDCC08)
    -Guile (Street Fighter)
    -Protoman (Megaman)
    -Krauser (Resident Evil 4)
    -Master Chief (came with Halo controller)
    -Ada Wong (little figure like Master Chief...got for secret santa)
    -a ton more things (Tom Nook plush, 3 cubecraft figures, Star Wars (I think McFarlane, but I am not sure), plus more)

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yeah, ok. Just curious what with hockey + action figures and all. I was mostly like that too, a few things here and there until I started up with Transformers. Now they pretty much dominate my room, but I did start up my Marvel Legends and DC collection, which now has a nice shelf going for it.

But that's like comics and cartoons stuff, I actually have a bunch of Starting Lineups in a bag in the attic since I have no where to put them. I decided to just cover one wall with the McFarlanes I have. I think I have like all of the first five hockey series of those, then just some random others and all the Pens.

Heh, I have a Lindros, LeClair, Roenick, and ha, a Boucher for Flyers players.

Schide on
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Yea, I think that is what I was looking to do (just collecting players on my team/players I like) and never got to it.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    Are there comic and movie versions of Rorschach?

McCly on
    kbellchewiesig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2009
    McCly wrote: »
    Are there comic and movie versions of Rorschach?

Aren't they the same thing? I don't know if they are making movie action figures AND comic figures or if the figures out now are all they have planned.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
This discussion has been closed.