As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Roof! The Roof!

Clayton BigsbyClayton Bigsby Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Social Entropy++
The roof is on fire!

Or at least my dorm's friendly-neighborhood would-be arsonist wants it that way. Pretty damn bad.

So the story: Around mid-day yesterday I'm walking back from my class and I decide to get a drink, so I hit up the campus cyber-cafe and run into a couple of friends, and we just chat and mess around until I decide it's time to head back to the dorm. About a few minutes after I get to my room I get a text from that same friend, something to the tune of "Hey did you try to set the building on fire?" and I reply, something to the tune of "wut" and and then she explains "Well somebody on your floor tried to set the place on fire and the firetruck's outside now". So I look out the back window, and sure enough there's a fire truck.

Apparently a friend of mine was walking around the dorm all of us live in. Eventually he wanders to the kitchen area to discover a rag on the stove. On fire. With all the burners on. So he alerts the front desk, firefighters are contacted, fire's put out, disaster's averted, and everyone tries to move on with their lives. End of story, right?

WELL, fastforward a few hours. Yours truly is walking out of his night class, take-home test in hand. I decide that before I go to town on this thing I could use a snack so, once again I venture to the local cyber-cafe, where I run into yet another friend from the dorm, who then asks me if we were allowed back in. And naturally I'm like, "Why the hell weren't we allowed in the dorm? the fire was hours ago!"

And it turned out that whatever shitstain caused the first fire decided one wasn't good enough, so he lit up a burlap sack and put it in the stairwell. Fortunately it was discovered quickly and taken care of. So people are terrified, the smart people have left for elswhere for the night, and those of us that remain have made silent pacts to kill the perpetrator slowly should one of us find out whose responsible.

End of story, right?

WELL, fastforward to about a couple of hours ago, where I am awakened by the faint sound of a fire alarm (yes, the alarms here suck). Yes, the little fucker has tried to kill us all for a third time, and after I get a couple more hours of shuteye I'll see if I can fill in the details.

At this point you may be asking me "Clayton Bigsby, why are you even still on campus, let alone in the same building that someone on your floor has tried to have torched three times now?" And all I can say in return is that I'll be asking myself that all day long as I prepare to go home for the weekend.

SO, this is a thread about fire. Alternatively, this is a thread about dorm life. Whichever is the more dominate aspect of your life, I guess.

Clayton Bigsby on

• SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Has Batman been contacted yet?

Slagmire on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    we had a minor arsonist/pyro in our dorms

after like the third random piece of trash he immolated in one of the common areas, they kicked his ass out

redfenix on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Apparently some cocksucker at the dorms here threw a basketball at the sprinkler in his room, setting off the alarm, soaking his room, evacuating the building and ultimately I think he was fined over $30,000

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah we just got a bunch of assholes puking in the hallways and on the stairs and all over the bathrooms in my old dorm freshman year.

The freshman-only dorms were worse, so thank god I wasn't in those.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    at my freshman dorms many years ago, someone left a towel over their lamp then went away for the weekend leaving it on, and it caught on fire. way to go jackass

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
    edited October 2008
    Yeah we just got a bunch of assholes puking in the hallways and on the stairs and all over the bathrooms in my old dorm freshman year.

Dorms, on the whole, are horrible places because you can never escape those few, nasty, horrible, fucked-up people that think it's cool to live in filth or worse problems.

Slagmire on
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I thank God every day that I decided not to live in the dorms this year

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    someone here left their fridge unplugged and their alarm on really loud for about a week while they were back home

the alarm pissed off a whooooole bunch of neighbours and the whole hallway smelled like someone had died in their room

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    we had a damn good commercial structure fire here the other day. Fuckin hell, though... here the medics are separate from the firefighters. FUCK. I miss being a firefighter. :(

Cogliostro on
  • redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    someone here left their fridge unplugged and their alarm on really loud for about a week while they were back home

the alarm pissed off a whooooole bunch of neighbours and the whole hallway smelled like someone had died in their room

that's when an RA should key in and fix the shit
    what the hell

redfenix on
    edited October 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »

Dorms, on the whole, are horrible places because you can never escape those few, nasty, horrible, fucked-up people that think it's cool to live in filth or worse problems.

A friend of mine married his buddy through the university so they could apply to cancel their dorm contract and move out. Three years later and I think they still haven't bothered to get the divorce.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    Slagmire wrote: »

A friend of mine married his buddy through the university so they could apply to cancel their dorm contract and move out. Three years later and I think they still haven't bothered to get the divorce.

I can't say I blame them for going that route. Part of me wishes I went to school much closer to home so I could stay there because I couldn't stand many of my dorm neighbors. Smelled horrible almost all the time and constant bass pounding from their stereos meant you couldn't study there.

Slagmire on
    edited October 2008
    I think the fact that some universities require you to live there your freshman year is a stupid and retarded thing. More and more college students are over the traditional age of 18 - 21. Making a 23 year old live in a dorm is retarded. Now I don't know for sure if every big university does it, but I know a few do.

Cogliostro on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My dorm is pretty okay, I like it here. I've got a nice roommate with a considerable DVD collection, which helps.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008
    Cogliostro wrote: »
    I think the fact that some universities require you to live there your freshman year is a stupid and retarded thing. More and more college students are over the traditional age of 18 - 21. Making a 23 year old live in a dorm is retarded. Now I don't know for sure if every big university does it, but I know a few do.

Almost no public universities require it, so unless you're a rich asshole or a really smart asshole and you're at a private college, you generally don't have to worry about that.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I had a pretty good dorm experience first year

The other three years I lived in single-room off-campus dorm-style housing. The place was a dump but it was cheap and convenient and not all that bad.

Sheri on
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm... I had heard that UW and USC required freshmen to live on campus

Cogliostro on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Almost no public universities require it, so unless you're a rich asshole or a really smart asshole and you're at a private college, you generally don't have to worry about that.

I go to a state university and it's required here. I really don't mind it though.

Cosmic Sombrero on
    edited October 2008

I go to a state university and it's required here. I really don't mind it though.

Maybe it's required for incoming freshman who are right outta highschool. I don't know exact rules of every place, but I don't know any going-back-to-school people who are in their 20s as a first year student that were required to even look at the dorms.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I went to a technical college, so no dorms. Based on what I saw when I went to hang out with my friends who were living in the University dorms, I think I had a pretty sweet deal.

I got to live in a third floor three bedroom 2 bath condo, facing the river, with a brand new kitchen and awesome roommates, walking distance from a couple clubs, a strip mall which included a movie theatre. Also the condo complex had a pool/gym/recreation building.

Ruckus on
  • AlpineAlpine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    We put a hot tub in our 2nd floor dorm room. It was fun.

Alpine on
    edited October 2008
    UAA has dorms, but they're heinously overpriced. It's like $2000 per semester, plus you are required to buy a meal plan - the minimum of which is $1800/semester. And you can NOT stay on holidays.

Cogliostro on
  • Auntie ShibbyAuntie Shibby Horrible Visalia, CARegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I like burning things, but have never tried to set a building on fire.

I did accidentally set a computer chair on fire once in the backyard of a place I was living. One of my friends, drunk as all hell, tried putting the fire out with his bare hands. He had blisters on his hands for months.

Auntie Shibby on
    clowninthewoods.png
  • Sgt EversmanSgt Eversman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dorms are stupid

Sgt Eversman on
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome.
    edited October 2008
    UAA has dorms, but they're heinously overpriced. It's like $2000 per semester, plus you are required to buy a meal plan - the minimum of which is $1800/semester. And you can NOT stay on holidays.

Dorm prices are always shit :(

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
    edited October 2008
    I'm a volunteer firefighter, so I get to quench my pyrocravings with training exercises.

Ruckus on
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm honestly rather live here than back in my boring shitty-ass hometown commuting an hour and a half every day for classes

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited October 2008
    Ruckus wrote: »
    I'm a volunteer firefighter, so I get to quench my pyrocravings with training exercises.

Right on, brother. :D

Last time we had a burn house training session I ended up transporting one of the firefighters for second degree circumferential burns on his wrist (his turnouts weren't properly fit)... he turned a fog nozzle on to a burning pile and created flashover. We still haven't let him live it down. :D

Cogliostro on
  • ShawxnShawxn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Dorm prices are always shit :(

yeah.... 10k a year at university of Colorado, not counting a meal plan. you're also required to stay on campus the first year
    D: at least i'm not paying for it

Shawxn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2008
    Ah, so UC does require it as well. Hm

Cogliostro on
    edited October 2008

are you thinking of going there(here)?

Shawxn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Burning OrganBurning Organ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The dorm of my school is also the dorm of a "special education" schools dorm.
    Thank god I don't live there.
    (They close the internet at 10 pm every night)

Burning Organ on
    edited October 2008
    Shawxn wrote: »

Shit no, dude. As soon as I finish my internship and return to Alaska I'll be graduated. I'm going to attend via online to get my Bachelor's of Science in Emergency Services Management, though. Utah Valley University does these odd 6 week courses where you take one or two at a time. My paramedic classes will count toward my electives, so I should be done in about two years. Meanwhile I can go up on the slope and work this summer - I'm attending one more semester of college here (I'll probably do most of my GER's here).

Cogliostro on
    edited October 2008

Last time we had a burn house training session I ended up transporting one of the firefighters for second degree circumferential burns on his wrist (his turnouts weren't properly fit)... he turned a fog nozzle on to a burning pile and created flashover. We still haven't let him live it down. :D

I'm actually off interior attack since I moved. My good NFPA approved gear was reassigned to a noobie, and I've got some of that old white fireguard stuff. After I finish GSAR training this fall, we should be able to justify ordering me some fitted Nomex Coveralls for Vehicle Ex/GSAR/GrassFire/PumpOps use (but no interior structural work).

Ruckus on
    edited October 2008
    Shawxn wrote: »

Shit no, dude. As soon as I finish my internship and return to Alaska I'll be graduated. I'm going to attend via online to get my Bachelor's of Science in Emergency Services Management, though. Utah Valley University does these odd 6 week courses where you take one or two at a time. My paramedic classes will count toward my electives, so I should be done in about two years. Meanwhile I can go up on the slope and work this summer - I'm attending one more semester of college here (I'll probably do most of my GER's here).

so you were just curious? and here i thought you were some wet behind the ears high school senior

for shame
    i'm sorry :P

Shawxn on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Otaku SuppositoryThe Otaku Suppository Bawstan New EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My dorms were pretty decent. Senior year I got into one of the best dorms. It was an old style dormitory so my room was fucking huge. Like a mini-apartment sans-kitchen. And it had a second floor balcony that overlooked the President's lawn. I was so spoiled.

The Otaku Suppository on
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hmmm...are there any women in your dorm? This reeks of an ex-boyfriend/girlfriend.

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    My roommate the first semester of Freshman year was a gigantic asshole. We lived next door to the RA, like we shared the same shower and bathroom between the 3 of us. And yet this asshole decided it would be a great idea to smoke weed in our room as well as sell it from there as well.

Immediately after getting to college he pawned off his new laptop for $500 to buy god knows what. And a couple weeks he took off during the middle of the week, giving me the instruction of "if anyone calls tell them I just left a bit ago and you don't know where I went."

Thank goodness that fucker moved out after the 1st semester

Marathon on
  • IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I loved my dorm. It was a men's co-op, so we had to do chores, but it was a lot less expensive. We had our own kitchen and cook. And because of the chores we kept everything clean and people knew each other well. It was also a good bit like animal house, we lost the dorm after my 2nd year because we managed to piss off the residence hall association. The details are boring unless you were there.

The highlights of my time there:

Putting a Volkswagen bug in the middle of a muddy field. The owner was an asshole and wouldn't walk
    the 200 feet to practice his trumpet at the music building and instead played in the morning in his room.

We did an annual haunted house for charity. It was a blast.

We did an annual Hawaiian themed party. It was fun drinking from a coconut, but we were drinking jungle juice with a lot of Everclear.

And almost as many gay jokes as here, but with the added benefit of group showers.

Iloveslimes on
  • RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I'm sick and doped up, but it sounds like your friend would have just gotten steam burns on his wrists. If it was an actual flash over I think we'd be talking about him in the past tense.

RedTide on
    RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee