As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Star Wars MMO, take two (Republic Troopers within)

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited June 2009 in MMO Extravaganza
It's for real!

http://www.swtor.com/

Not very much concrete info yet.

Ign has a preview series going: http://pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

Original OP:
So the worst kept secret in gaming is going to be formally disclosed soon.

http://www.massively.com/2008/10/07/check-out-our-bioware-lucasarts-announcement-invite/

Bioware and Lucasarts have a joint announcement for us on October 21. It's 99% likely that it is about a new Star Wars MMO set in the Knights of the Old Republic era.

Will it be better than Star Wars Galaxies? How could it not be?

Will it be good? Well, that remains to be seen. It's Bioware, so that gives me a lot of hope. They haven't made a bad game yet. But this is a new area for them, and it's being made by a new studio of theirs.

Commence baseless speculation and love/hate for Bioware.

captaink on

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The lettering on that initiation is even done in the Star Wars font.

It's so a new Star Wars MMO.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well it's obviously a Star Wars game given that Lucasarts is involved. The question is, "is it an MMO?" Bioware's recent opening of an MMO studio, which has no announced projects yet, points to "Yes it is."

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    LucasArts does have other properties, besides Star Wars :P Shocking, I know...but LucasArts being involved doesn't automatically make it Star Wars. That font on the invitation card does though.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Indiana Jones? Pssh.

I didn't realize fracture was theirs, though.

Regardless, Star Wars is a given.

captaink on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I dunno, an Indiana Jones MMO might be pretty awesome.

Indiana Jones: The Search for Overpowered Epic

They could have a dungeon where you fight Nazi's.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Whip spec is imba, nerf plz.

captaink on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Didn't Bioware already spill the beans on the Star Wars MMO?

Henroid on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Maybe it's a TIE Fighter mmo. lolz

Bigity on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bigity wrote: »

You mean Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed?

Sorry, I had to.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »

You mean Star Wars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed?

Sorry, I had to.

I hate you so much.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Didn't Bioware already spill the beans on the Star Wars MMO?

There hasn't ever been an official announcement, just a lot of clues like copyrighting names and stuff.

captaink on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

+3 Helmet of Strength has dropped
    /roll
    You win!
    /y IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM

---

Would a MMO during the Mandalorian Wars work?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Aldo wrote: »

/roll
    You win!

---

Only if it has awesome PvP and we can play the Mandalorian's.

That would actually be an AWESOME PvP MMO. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars. What force in the universe is martially capable of handling the Jedi? Why, the Mandalorian's are. It solves the problem of Jedi being so powerful, it's all anyone will play.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That would actually be an AWESOME PvP MMO. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Wars. What force in the universe is martially capable of handling the Jedi? Why, the Mandalorian's are. It solves the problem of Jedi being so powerful, it's all anyone will play.
    's what I'm sayin' you have awesome jedis on the one hand who cut your shit up and on the other hand you've got these heavy armoured bastards who eat jedis for breakfast. I for one wouldn't know whose side to pick.

Aldo on
  • Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let anyone have Jedi. Then make cortosis a common drop. Uh oh! Hard to deflect a blaster when your lightsaber won't stay on sucka!

Bigity on
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

's what I'm sayin' you have awesome jedis on the one hand who cut your shit up and on the other hand you've got these heavy armoured bastards who eat jedis for breakfast. I for one wouldn't know whose side to pick.

Those would be *highly trained* heavy armoured bastards who eat jedis for breakfast, ner'vode.

And yes, I'd give up spare organs to refight the jedi-mando'a conflict.

I can even predict how it would go. Galactic republic = alliance on WoW vrs. Mandalorian clans = Horde on WoW.

Mandos would be a bunch of hardcore, stone-cold, psycho, PKing, pipe-hitting motherfuckers outnumbered by hordes of lightsaber-wielding twi'lek assclowns who enjoy "l3zbean h@wt cyberz" using Force Push and Force levitation.

Let's just say I'd run out of room on my bes'kar belt for all the lightsaber trophies gained by sniping half-naked aliens in the fucking grape.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I just hope it is something other than a PVE driven open-world MMO with talent trees.

Can we be original for one second please, Bioware, I know you can deliver this.

Bioware has an advantage because basically anything they do will be perceived as better than SWG.

In my mind, the best thing they can do is guarantee fully fledged and depthful space combat at release. That's basically the only thing that will get my attention.

Jasconius on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Let anyone have Jedi. Then make cortosis a common drop. Uh oh! Hard to deflect a blaster when your lightsaber won't stay on sucka!
    It would fit with Kotor, every single fucker in the universe used a cortosis weaved sword in those games.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I just hope it is something other than a PVE driven open-world MMO with talent trees.

Bioware has an advantage because basically anything they do will be perceived as better than SWG.

In my mind, the best thing they can do is guarantee fully fledged and depthful space combat at release. That's basically the only thing that will get my attention.

I think a hybrid of the class/combat system in Jade Empire and Mass Effect would work. One for the hand-to-hand, the other for guns.

Oh, and just because I jerk-off to Mandalorian stuff, the /dance animation for Mandalorian characters and some of the music for combat *must* be the Dha Werda Verda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67XPpJ7sluE

Mando'a

Taung sa rang broka jetiise ka'rta.
    Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu,
    Coruscanta kandosii adu.
    Duum motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
    Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.

Kom'rk tsad droten troch nyn ures adenn.
    Dha Werda Verda a'den tratu,
    Coruscanta kandosii adu.
    Duum motir ca'tra nau tracinya.
    Gra'tua cuun hett su dralshy'a.

Translation (sub Coruscant for Maldalore):

The ash of the Taung beats strong within the Mandalorians' heart.
    We are the rage of The Warriors of the Shadow,
    The first noble sons of Mandalore.
    Let all those who stand before us light the night sky in flame.
    Our vengeance burns brighter still.

The gauntlet of Mandalore strikes without mercy.
    We are the rage of The Warriors of the Shadow,
    The first noble sons of Mandalore.
    Let all those who stand before us light the night sky in flame.
    Our vengeance burns brighter still.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm assuming cortosis will be an assumed aspect of gear so that lightsabers will be balanced.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Space combat is not nearly as prevalent in the KotOR era. Sure, there were some space battles, but nowhere near the same scope as the Clone Wars or Rebellion era. A vast majority of the battles were fought on the ground, with only token space battles to remove orbital defenses and blockade the deployment of reinforcements. This was partially forced by Mandalorian combat doctrine.

delroland on
  • Options
    HilleanHillean Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    /roll
    You win!

I'm sorry but I can't help but crack up reading this

Hillean on
    greenguy1980.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    You know, Jade Empire's combat would be interesting in an MMO, but the graphic engine would be very interesting. Facial expressions and overall style would work pretty well I think.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

This makes me want to type out terrible, terrible things.

Henroid on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

I suppose they could make it a puzzle adventure game.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    GranakGranak Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If Bioware is the force behind such a proposed MMO then I'm all for it.
    Man. SWG let me down. Lucas let me down first with that god damned Phanton Menace, and then my hopes were dashed by friggin' SWG.

As long as it does not resemble the latest incarnation of the Clone Wars in any shape or form whatsoever... I will play it.

I predict a cantina-based rhythm mini-game!

Granak on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's gonna be Full Throttle Online.

GungHo on
  • Options
    Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well, if they do choose to set the game in the Old Republic era, there are some definite design benefits. Outside of the source material from Knights of the Old Republic, and the Tales of the Jedi comic books the setting itself is relatively undeveloped. The developers (whoever they may be) would have much more freedom in customizing the setting to their needs.

Operative21 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well, if they do choose to set the game in the Old Republic era, there are some definite design benefits. Outside of the source material from Knights of the Old Republic, and the Tales of the Jedi comic books the setting itself is relatively undeveloped. The developers (whoever they may be) would have much more freedom in customizing the setting to their needs.

:^:

I also think they could make another Sith vrs Jedi war with PCs taking either side.

Much as I'd like a Mando vrs. Republic war, we know how that one ends so a Sith/Jedi conflict with Mandalorian clans taking whatever side pays the best would work for me.

widowson on

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Watch them take a completely different route and force all the players to be down trodden scum of the underworld living in constant terror that another one of those damnable, unstoppable jedi will tear through their hives in another insane quest for justice, peace and understanding.

I feel so sorry for their npcs, sometimes.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    It makes me wonder, though, if BioWare will include some sort of alignment system, where your character starts out as good but then chooses whether to be Light Side/Dark Side/Paragon/Renegade/Fist/Palm/whatever, or if you will simply choose your faction at the start.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    delroland wrote: »
    It makes me wonder, though, if BioWare will include some sort of alignment system, where your character starts out as good but then chooses whether to be Light Side/Dark Side/Paragon/Renegade/Fist/Palm/whatever, or if you will simply choose your faction at the start.
    It isn't a Bioware game without some blatantly obvious moral choices, huh?

Aldo on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The character creation screen will be like the old Ultima gypsy wagon screens where you can choose what action you would take in a given situation.

e.g. You see a puppy walking down the road. He is wimpering and seems lost. You ____
    Adopt the puppy, feed it pot roast, and you grow old together, until the original owner shows up and you then forfeit the puppy and give the original owner 1 million credits in arrears for puppy rental.

Keep on driving.

Let Satan take the wheel.

GungHo on
  • Options
    nourishnourish Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone know if they will be using the Star Wars Roleplaying Game paper-rpg from wizards of the coast? Didn't kotor use something like a d20 starwars paper-rpg as the framework? (I never got around to playing it)

nourish on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    nourish wrote: »
    Anyone know if they will be using the Star Wars Roleplaying Game paper-rpg from wizards of the coast? Didn't kotor use something like a d20 starwars paper-rpg as the framework? (I never got around to playing it)

Pretty much, yeah. Everyone had Str/Dex/Con/Wis/Int/Cha and stuff was based on D20 rolls.

As for the MMO, it seems unlikely, but they certainly could.

captaink on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Isn't the post-Mandalorian/Jedi Civil War the obvious period for this to be set in? There's plenty of backstory about it, but not a ton of stuff written during the conflict itself.

It would provide a good excuse for faction PvP (Jedi/Sith/Mandalorian(?), it solves the Jedi problem decently well, and lets lore nerds get their rocks off seeing all the stuff they've been seeing references to in novels and the KOTOR games.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It would be cool if they had both Jedi and non-Jedi classes.

Maybe the 3-6 Jedi starting classes as well as the 3 non-Jedi starting classes.

I'm hoping for something more like an enhanced version of Mass Effects combat system, skill based with stats that increase your damage/health/ect.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Watch them take a completely different route and force all the players to be down trodden scum of the underworld living in constant terror that another one of those damnable, unstoppable jedi will tear through their hives in another insane quest for justice, peace and understanding.

I feel so sorry for their npcs, sometimes.

I want to be this Jedi. It's ok.

I wont be leet kiddie about it.

I might laugh a bit.

But that's all.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    It's gonna be Full Throttle Online.

NOOOOoooo Noooo.

/sobbing :cry:

Smashism on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

but the mandalorians lost once the Jedi got involved

INeedNoSalt on
This discussion has been closed.