As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I'm starting a webcomic.. advice?

SaturdayskidsSaturdayskids Registered User new member
edited October 2006 in Artist's Corner
http://spatkids.livejournal.com/

Is the comic,
I started it early this week. It mainly is about music, but .. well not really.

I'm going through lots of style changes, does anyone have any suggestions?

Should I continue? Turn back now?

(I'm new, I know, I hope this isnt counted as spam..)

Saturdayskids on

• Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Rules:
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=209611

Please post art rather than links.

As for your webcomic, the art is pretty messy at the moment, the writing isn't that funny. At least it isn't about videogames, but it still has that "a couple of guys talking about X" thing that is obscenely overdone in webcomics.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Ray2kRay2k Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Don't worry, that guy is a doof. Anyways, everybody starts somewhere and at least you started. There are so many people out there that don't ever give this field a shot for the simple reason they're lazy. You'll make it if you keep at it, and no, your stuff is not that bab.

Ray2k on
  • Options
    UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Stop giving him hope, you cruel bastard.

UnknownSaint on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    http://satkids.livejournal.com/

Is the comic,
    I started it early this week. It mainly is about music, but .. well not really.

I'm going through lots of style changes, does anyone have any suggestions?

Should I continue? Turn back now?

(I'm new, I know, I hope this isnt counted as spam..)

Actually, from what you present of yourself and your worldviews as represented in your comics... I think I hate you.

Yep, yeah, there it is. It's hate.

Well! Glad we got that over with.

multimoog on
  • Options
    Ray2kRay2k Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I hate you too.

(Sorry but everybody else is doing it and I felt left out.)

Ray2k on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Meh jokes aside, unless you've learned penmanship from a 17th century writer please, for the love of god, put in the text digitally in a readable font.

Glal on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    A LOT of new people lately....

Wish we had more newbies like Weed/Weet (Can't remember his name).

Godfather on
  • Options
    CamCam Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ray2k wrote:
    Don't worry, that guy is a doof. Anyways, everybody starts somewhere and at least you started. There are so many people out there that don't ever give this field a shot for the simple reason they're lazy. You'll make it if you keep at it, and no, your stuff is not that bab.
    Wait, did you just call SPI a doof?

GET OUT.

JUST GO.

Cam on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Ray2k wrote:

Actually, it is pretty fucking bab.

The idea of a noob sitewhore rushing to the defense of another noob sitewhore fills me with a special kind of rage. If either of you had taken the time to read the rules before posting, you'd see that -SPI- is absolutely right. (Starting your first thread on the boards with nothing but a link to your Webcomic is what we fondly refer to as "sitewhoring". We hate it and that means we hate you.)

If you want to post a couple of strips in your thread and get feedback on the art and writing, fine.

DMAC on
  • Options
    ViolenceManViolenceMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Ray2k wrote:

stopposting3vx.gif

ViolenceMan on
    wheres.gif
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    After yesterday's special little noob, I have no energy for this anymore.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I've been away for awhile, so my rage meter is pretty much full.

IMMA CHARGIN' MY EXECUTE

Cam on
  • Options
    srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Unknown User

There is no user spatkids at LiveJournal.com.

Your livejournal fails to load, so I hate your comic. I hope the fine people here completely destroyed your dreams, and you have no hope for going on in life.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • Options
    Otto GermainOtto Germain Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yep, not loadin'.

Get yourself a reliable webcomic host. When it comes to webcomics, presentation is important. A sloppy website is as bad as sloppy art. There's a lot of free hosting services out there for webcomics if you're not sure if you want to continue with it in the long run.

Otto Germain on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    http://satkids.livejournal.com

C'mon man, if you're site whoring at least spell your site URL right.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Airan wrote:
    http://satkids.livejournal.com

C'mon man, if you're site whoring at least spell your site URL right.
    He did spell it right. I visited it. It got changed. Just like that other site-whorer's URL.

Cam on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    The funniest thing about your webcomic is that you posted the same joke twice on the same day. It's like you're using some kind of ungodly webcomic ad-libs template.

LOL6-1.jpg

LOL5.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    I realize that flame-week is over, but I just gotta say that this is pretty f8cking terrible. Also, I too hate you judging by the ideals and opinions you have instilled in your comic.

For instance, you make the "smart" character say "I think lyrics make up 90% of how good the song is." Not only is that sentence fucking retarded in terms of grammar, but if you honestly think that the most important thing in a song is the lyrics, then you're an idiot.

Cam on
  • Options
    multimoogmultimoog Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Cam wrote:
    For instance, you make the "smart" character say "I think lyrics make up 90% of how good the song is." Not only is that sentence fucking retarded in terms of grammar, but if you honestly think that the most important thing in a song is the lyrics, then you're an idiot.

That's the specific line I was commenting on earlier. Because it means you think of songs more as poetry than music. And that means you think of the kinds of songs you like as poetry. And that's broken. Well, to me, anyway.

Thus I, personally, hate you.

Also, sometimes your characters have five fingers, and other times they have four.

multimoog on
  • Options
    SpilltoySpilltoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    multimoog wrote:
    Also, sometimes your characters have five fingers, and other times they have four.

Other times they have both.

lol5aw0.jpg

And an arbitrary, indiscriminantly assigned single fingernail.

Spilltoy on
    I really don't.
  • Options
    SaturdayskidsSaturdayskids Registered User new member
    edited October 2006
    aw you guys completely destroyed my dreams :cry:

If only I was as funny as "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch"

Man, thats such a funny saying!

Saturdayskids on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    You can only dream. Ti'll then, continue to vomit your art on unsuspecting art forums.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    aw you guys completely destroyed my dreams :cry:

If only I was as funny as "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch"

Man, thats such a funny saying!

Ohhh burn!. That was good, you bite back. I like that. Now apply that to your comic. As it is now, the humor wasn't for me. It's not all bad though, some of your inking is pretty good.

Work on the crits above, like the hands thing. At least keep your hands sorta consistent. Also some panels look like they weren't scanned, but taken with camera, makes em look blurry. Your lines really aren't dark enough.

Also the text has got to go. Either do it by hand, or make it better than it is here. It doesn't even look like it belongs in your strip. It is nice and dark though, so make your lineart at least as dark as that, if not more.

Get to work.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited October 2006
    Ya'know, this thread is a gigantic waste of time. I can't think of one good reason for someone to read it. Ya'know.

DMAC on
This discussion has been closed.