As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

dreamweaver [basic questions]

ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
Ok so I am trying to make a super basic site in Dreamweaver. My site is currently a purple rectangular box with a picture in it, and a black background, and some links.

What I did was that I made the layout in Photoshop first, and then I followed a guide on how to "slice" it up and then import it into Dreamweaver. (I followed 2 guides on youtube for this)

So I import my design into dreamweaver and whatnot and then I try to make a link of one of my linkbuttons, BUT for some reason when I do so, my entire site design cracks up a little and everything is ruined. See, the button I tried to link seems to change size a bit (altough according to the pixels, it doesn't actually change size, it just looks like it) and seems to "push" the other "slices" out of place. TL;DR - I try to link a button and it screws with the rest of my site.

If this makes no sense at all please say so and I'll get some pics of it.

I don't know what the fuck is wrong with it. Isn't linking supposed to be super easy?

Either way, I need your help to make sense of any of this, or find an alternate solution, because this is incredibly frustrating.

t5qfc9.jpg
Zzulu on

• Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    You have to be careful when importing a template into dreamweaver. I haven't done so in four or five years but my guess is that: you have your images that are supposed to be background images set as in-line images, so when you try to add something, it pushes them around instead of being placed on top of them?

Would you mind copy/pasting the HTML here?

Woot427 on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Another potential way to fix it is to not make the button a link. Instead add a hotspot over the button as a link, and that should work.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Seriously, learn (X)HTML and CSS. The 6-8 hours it takes will save you many headaches in the end, and you'll be able to write well-formed code that doesn't rely on tables for layout.

Nightslyr on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Another potential way to fix it is to not make the button a link. Instead add a hotspot over the button as a link, and that should work.

Yeah I know. I did that a long time ago and I looked for it now, but I can't bloody find it. How do I do it?

Would you mind copy/pasting the HTML here?
    I will, once I find it. I have to go somwhere to get my laptop first :x

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you make an image a link, it likes to put a border around it by default. In the properties panel at the bottom, check to see if there is a border set. If the box is empty then try putting 0 in. That's usually the case anyway when I use Dreamweaver. What version are you using?

Edit: I checked and yeah, you have to explicitly put a "border=0" in the image tag, which you can do by putting a 0 in the property box, or by doing it in the html itself.

Doomulon on
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

Yeah I know. I did that a long time ago and I looked for it now, but I can't bloody find it. How do I do it?

In the Insert bar along the top, under Common there's an Images button, it's in there. This is on CS3 BTW.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • DoomulonDoomulon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »

In the Insert bar along the top, under Common there's an Images button, it's in there. This is on CS3 BTW.

He shouldn't have to do any fancy tricks to get an image linked and not mess up the layout, but a hotspot is kind of easy to make, just a bit of a roundabout way to do it. The way I said just requires a simple edit to the image tag.

Doomulon on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Thanks guys

It was the border thing

funny how such a small thing could halt my progress completely :lol:

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg