As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TV series to watch

YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Hi all,

I'm currently in need of a good TV series to watch, preferably of the hour long commercial free variety. HBO comes to mind.

I just finished watching Deadwood, which I loved (and want another season of, but that's another thread).

I tried Dexter next, but I just can't get into it. I've seen The Sopranos, Dead Like Me, parts of Entourage and looked at The Wire but I'm not really into crime drama.

Any suggestions?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
YourFatAuntSusan on

• Options
    AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Watch the Wire anyway. Rome was fun. Generation Kill was good. Six Feet Under is really, really good. Carnivale is fucking excellent. I'm sure everyone will chime in on this.

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Six Feet Under. Big Love is kind of ok. I've heard good things about that new vampire show, but I've not seen any of it yet. Honestly, with that limited a set of criteria, you can just look up anything hbo or showtime has put out in the last 10 years, that's going to be all the advice you get here.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    True Blood is mostly decent so far (first episode or two felt kinda campy). Not sure how you can't like Dexter.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Twin Peaks

Fellhand on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mace1370 wrote: »
    True Blood is mostly decent so far (first episode or two felt kinda campy). Not sure how you can't like Dexter.

Dexter just seems... odd. Granted, I'm only on the second episode so I'll reserve judgment until I get a little farther into it.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    True Blood is decent. It's one of those shows I like to watch, but I end up having 3 or 4 episodes on the DVR before I get around to it. In contrast, I would change my plans around to see the Wire as soon as possible.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    AtomBomb wrote: »
    Carnivale is fucking excellent.

I heard that the story in Carnivale is essentially left unfinished because the show was canceled 4 seasons early? Is this true? After seeing this with Deadwood I don't know if I want to go through that again.

YourFatAuntSusan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Carnivale is fucking excellent.

I heard that the story in Carnivale is essentially left unfinished because the show was canceled 4 seasons early? Is this true? After seeing this with Deadwood I don't know if I want to go through that again.

Somewhat, but it's worth it anyway. Would you have rather that you never saw Deadwood?

Carnivale concludes, but then there is a bit of foreshadowing at the very, very end that lets you know how awesome it would have been to give that show a longer run.

AtomBomb on
  • Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wasn't Deadwood supposed to be concluded with a tv movie or two? Whatever happened to that?

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Watch the Wire anyway.
    I hate crime drama, too. The Wire is fucking brilliant.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The Wire is not a "crime drama." If you're expecting it to be Law & Order with the f-bomb, you'll be very surprised. It's about cops and drug dealers, but not in a cop show sort of way. You FEEL for those characters, man. It's just an amazing show all around.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Okay, this is for everyone here...

WEEDS.

This is my new favorite show and really... it's just fucking brilliant.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Life. It's such a good show.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    teopehtteopeht Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mad Men is pretty impressive in a weird, lets talk about how f-ed up the old days were but also how cool everyone looked.

30 Rock has me LOLing quite a bit if you are looking for some excellent comedy.

teopeht on
    Ravenclaw fo lyfe.
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    One word:

chuck1.jpg

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    The Wire is great. I've only seen 5 episodes though. Looking forward to Disc 3

I quite enjoyed Carnivale

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sentry wrote: »
    Okay, this is for everyone here...

WEEDS.

This is my new favorite show and really... it's just fucking brilliant.

The fact that twelve posts went by before this was suggested saddens me.

Seriously, go watch. Now.

And Carnivale was pretty amazing, though I still can't bring myself to watch season two (I figure if I never see the end, then it never ended).

So I get the impression I need to watch Life? Every time I see a preview it looks really good, but (sad as this sounds) my TV schedule is pretty full nowadays. I already have three shows that had to get bumped off the "watch now" list to the "record and watch over Christmas break" list.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Well anything can really be commercial free now adays. I mean with amazons online tv, the day after a show airs you can download the ep for 2 bucks and get a solid feed with 0 commercials.

If you haven't seen supernatural they have 3 seasons on dvd and are starting their 4th. Solid show about a couple of brothers who hunt supernatural beings (kind of like xfiles monster of the week type stuff with a story arch going on in the background). It's got surprising amounts of violence and humor for a CW show.

Also someone suggested Life, which is another good cop showish drama with the always sexy Damien Lewis (Winters from Band of Brothers). Mainly it deals with crime of the week, but the lead actor is enjoyable and the stories are interesting.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Weeds is great, but it has its ups and downs...

my favourites:
    Life on Mars (british version) a modern-day cop wakes up in the 70's. Great jokes, and some truly awesome characters. (Gene hunt is one of the coolest tv-cops i've seen in a long time) They're airing a US-version of it now. Don't watch that. a great character-driven show with an interesting plot.

Rome: it sounded lame to me before i started watching. Turns out this is one of the most best produced series i've ever watched... the production values, plot and dialogue stay high during all the episodes... i haven't found any other show that sucked me in quite as much. great drama. also; violence and nudity.

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • Options
    stawkstawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hour long series:
    Rome
    True blood
    Half hour long series:
    How I met your mother
    My name is earl
    (cant remember the name but new animated series on hbo)(something with tim in the title)
    entourage
    The office
    New adventures of old christeen

These are the shows i record (and download when i miss one)every week

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    NilohNiloh Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    In Treatment! Such a great HBO show. Another nod for True Blood as well

Niloh on
    "See this knife? Written on the edge, in very small letters, is Checkmate."
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I put a star next to the ones I think are commercial free but most of them I watched on DVD so obviously I'm not entirely sure.

Band of Brothers*
    Veronica Mars
    Firefly
    Eureka (ongoing right now)
    Flight of the Conchords*

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I put a star next to the ones I think are commercial free but most of them I watched on DVD so obviously I'm not entirely sure.

Band of Brothers*
    Veronica Mars
    Firefly
    Eureka (ongoing right now)
    Flight of the Conchords*

wow how did i forget firefly, eureka, and band of brother?

Pushing daisies also rocks hard.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Gonna have to suggest Oz.

W2 on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It was a little over my head while it was running, but I just started getting into "The West Wing." Really excellent show.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Life. It's such a good show.

Agree, that show is awesome.

The first season of Heroes is too. Your mileage will probably vary on the S2 and 3(which they're currently at)

I liked the pilot for Fringe, but haven't gotten a chance to see the rest.

Obviously Firefly is you haven't caught that. Sanctuary looks pretty decent from the first ep as well. Burnt Notice is awesome. As is Psych(both USA shows)

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    It was a little over my head while it was running, but I just started getting into "The West Wing." Really excellent show.

west wing ended for me after season 4 when all the original writers left.

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    AusteraAustera Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Twin Peaks!! I'm relieved it was the fourth suggestion
    Also I love
    Veronica Mars
    Nip/Tuck (steamy)
    Arrested Development
    Rescue Me

Austera on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Dead Like Me and Wonderfalls were also good.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    stawk wrote: »

Shush! I'm only on the third!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

is that the season where the entire cast is killed by a rampaging elephant at a republican parade or the one with the second coming of jesus?

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008

is that the season where the entire cast is killed by a rampaging elephant at a republican parade or the one with the second coming of jesus?

noooooooooo!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    MolotovCockatooMolotovCockatoo Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Burn Notice - it's like Bourne Identity: the TV show, only with some humor and Bruce Campbell. Or like an awesome MacGuyver.

MolotovCockatoo on
    Killjoy wrote: »
    No jeez Orik why do you assume the worst about people?

Because he moderates an internet forum

http://lexiconmegatherium.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Sports Night. Early Aaron Sorkin show about a nightly sports show (like Sportcenter), but the show really doesn't have much to do with sports at all. It's very Sorkiny...clever dialog, political, uneven but often brilliant. A truly amazing cast: Peter Krause, Felicity Huffman, William H Macy, Josh Charles, and Robert Guillaume. And the lovely Sabrina Lloyd, who will be mine one day.

Oh, and my coincidence, the 10th anniversary DVD just came out.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    supernatural-wallpaper.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Supernatural is fucking awesome. It's cheesy awesome sometimes, kinda like Buffy was, but still awesome.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    TrueHereticXTrueHereticX We are the future Charles, not them. They no longer matter. Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I doubt my choice is going to be echoed by anyone here, but I recently got into this show with both Season 1 and season 2 on DVD and it's actually really good

robin.jpg

TrueHereticX on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    lol for a guilty pleasure show watch gavin and stacey on BBC america

stawk on

stawk.jpg
  • Options
    jhunter46jhunter46 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    FIRELY!

House is also really good.

jhunter46 on
  • Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Arrested Development. It's only a half-hour, but it's dirt cheap ($45 for the whole series) and excellent.

Seattle Thread on
    kofz2amsvqm3.png