As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gentlemen, Start Your Muscles: A Weightlifting Thread

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Social Entropy++
So here's the new thread. I'll be updating the OP with everyone who is doing the weightloss weekly check-ups. If you want to join, PM me and I'll add you. I'll be expanding this OP a lot more over the next few days with links and helpful articles and whatnot.

I want to lose or gain weight!

Well, so do a lot of us. Every weekend, usually Sunday, we'll be posting our weekly weight and front and side body pics, both relaxed and tensed, to help judge our progress. Some of us are tracking our daily food intakes and workout for each day and posting those as well.

Guys in the Anti-Fatty Program - Serious Dudes Only Please! This ain't the "I will stop eating McDonalds and lose weight" program
MistaCreepy - Current Weight: 235 Goal Weight: 210
Talonrazor - Current Weight: 235 Goal Weight: 210
Javen - Current Weight: 151 Goal Weight: 175
Bucketman - Current Weight: 324lbs Goal Weight: 280
redfenix - Current Weight: 230 Goal Weight: 180
Meissnerd - Current Weight: 230 Goal Weight: 210
emericana - Current Weight: 270 Goal Weight: 250
SageinaRage - Current Weight: 210 Goal Weight: 180
shorttimin' - Current Weight: 195 Goal Weight: 185

Well, how do I become a non-fatty!

This is good! Fatties are terrible! Here we are all going to be working hard to get non-fat. While some people are going to be in bulking stages, that is adding muscle so they make money selling tickets to the gun show, us fatties will be cutting, getting rid ourselves of the Michelin Man look. It's going to take hard work and dedication so if you come in here hoping that you'll shed weight by playing your Wii and eating less potato chips, get out.

The first step is diet. You need to not eat shit. Start a food log, either a journal or using FitDay.com or whatever. I like Fit Day's software because the website is shit but you can just as easily use Excel. Examine a typical day of eating calories. Now examine how much calories you burn during the day (you'll need to find a good metabolism counter online). Our goal is to get calories intake to be less than calories burned.

Now structure new eating habits. The best way to eat is six meals a day, smaller and healthy. Breakfast should be your largest meal, followed by your post-workout meal. Read this post on the bodybuilding.com's forums. It contains good guidelines for pre-. during and post-workout nutrition. Focus on eating lots of greens, fruit, nuts and seeds, lean meats and fish. Good sources of protein like grilled chicken breasts, eggs, tuna and mushrooms are vital. For snacking, try bananas or almonds. Get rid of any and all sodas and drink water instead. Drink a lot of water. A good thread for recipes is here.

Exercise is crucial. Do cardio at least 30 minutes, every day. The best is right when you wake up, before breakfast. For fat-burning, long duration, low intensity is the goal. Run, swim, row or bike are the four best ways to get your cardio. If you are super fatty or have bad knees, you might want to do low-impact like swimming, elliptical trainers or stationary rowing. And yes, you still need to weightlift. If you don't, you'll lose a lot of muscle mass which will make bulking even tougher. Even if you don't want to bulk or "look like Ronnie Coleman", you should still be lifting. Do Mark Ripptoe's program or Tube's program. Both are good for beginners and focus on overall strength.

Add a new sport that you've never played before. Play intermural soccer or basketball in college, join a city rec league or even go play baseball with your friends every week. Pick up some martials arts. Go rock climbing or hiking or an outdoors excursion that lasts several hours on the weekends.

CrossFit has a good summary of what "World Class Fitness" is:
Eat meat and vegetables, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and no sugar. Keep intake to levels that will support exercise but not body fat. Practice and train major lifts: Deadlift, clean, squat, presses, C&J, and snatch. Similarly, master the basics of gymnastics: pull-ups, dips, rope climb, push-ups, sit-ups, presses to handstand, pirouettes, flips, splits, and holds. Bike, run, swim, row, etc, hard and fast. Five or six days per week mix these elements in as many combinations and patterns as creativity will allow. Routine is the enemy. Keep workouts short and intense. Regularly learn and play new sports.

If you need an example, here's what I'm doing

Talon's Plan
Overall Fitness Goal
Prep for Army National Guard Officer courses
Prep for Army Rangers entrance and Ranger School
Prep for Law Enforcement Academy
Body be a Landscape of Sex

Nutrition
- Breakfast (also pre-workout): Omelet at the college cafeteria or five eggs scrambled with glass of skim milk
- Post-workout: Salad with greens, spinach, mushrooms, egg whites, single grilled chicken breast, tomatoes, carrots, peas, no dressing. Two glasses of skim milk
- Lunch: Can of tuna, two pieces of 100% whole wheat bread.
- Supper: Small salad, chicken or tuna or turkey as meat, steamed veggies, glass of skim milk
- Dinner: Grilled chicken breast with cup of brown rice OR salmon patty between two whole wheat bread slices with brown rice
- Late-Night Snack: Handful of almonds, glass of skim milk
- Water consumption goal of a gallon a day
- One cheat meal during the weekend of whatever I want, like a small bowl of icecream or a shake or a single slice of pizza.

Fitness
- Weightlifting: Tube's workout plan, done MWF. I'll be swapping to a T/TH/Sa routine soon because I'll be taking Advanced Weightlifting through my University.
- Cardio: Every day, before breakfast, either swim for a half-hour to an hour or run for a half-hour. One or twice a week, run for an hour to an hour and half late during the evening.
- Sports: Play soccer for an intermural team once a week, do Brazilian Jui-Jitsu twice a week.
- Weekends: Do a bike ride or a long hike or rock climbing or some kind of excursion lasting at least two hours of intensive activity but also fun.

Every day I log whatever I've done on FitDay and I log my weights, reps and sets in my fitness journal. Every Sunday I weight myself and take body pictures, which I then post here and on my fitness journal.

I want to become The Wook! Where do I start?

Follow Tube and The Wook's advice. They've been around and know what's best. The plan that Tube created is great for starters. A good place to start your weightlifting education is reading Mark Ripptoe's Starting Strength. This article is a good starter for new weightlifters. Read this for basic tips on nutrition. If you need help on certain excercise forms, try this website. The goal is lift hard, eat good nutrition and be very consistent. Pay attention to what Tube and wook recommend, they know what they are talking about.

Other Resources

Bodybuilding.com - Good forum and community for fitness
T-nation.com - While aimed at the 'sweet kegger party bra' crowd, it's still packed with tons of super useful information
CrossFit.com - Not for some people, CrossFit is still probably the toughest fitness program out there
ExRx.net - A fantastic resource, this is a huge database of animated .gifs that show correct form to various exercises
FitDay.com - The website can be slow and some people hate it but I like to use the software to maintain an overview of my general fitness level.

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    This is a good idea. If you guys lose weight it will be cool to see your before/after pictures slowly evolve.

You guys want me to take my shirt off or

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    redfenixredfenix Aka'd as rfix Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    good timing. i'm wanting to get re-applied to healthiness

my rough goal is 15 pounds lost in 45 days.
    i'm probably about 225 now, but ill try to see if i have a scale around here to confirm

i understand the gain muscle / lose fat thing makes weight as an indicating factor somewhat faulty, but it's a guideline.

redfenix on
  • Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    fallout and stale i haven't forgotten you guys i've just been absurdly busy i promise i am working on it

the wook on
  • Options
    Tweaked_Bat_Tweaked_Bat_ Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I started going to the gym again this week, for the first time in months.

I just did some lighter exercises, but made sure my motions and technique was as perfect as possible.

My triceps hurt so much two days later. They have seriously never been this sore from working out before. I literally wince each time I need to straighten or bend my arms more than a few inches.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    But it felt fucking amazing. Just the feeling of the blood flowing through my muscles, which were all pumped up and shit. Goddamn I missed it.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wait

where is CT's workout plan?!

no no no

this doesn't add up at all!

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    redfenix wrote: »

i'm probably about 225 now, but ill try to see if i have a scale around here to confirm

i understand the gain muscle / lose fat thing makes weight as an indicating factor somewhat faulty, but it's a guideline.

is this a realistic goal at all, or am i being stupid

redfenix on
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Nah, that's a pretty good goal.

Shouldn't be too hard to make either

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008

That depends on SO many factors.

It's a difficult goal, but not impossible. If you have weighed that much before then it is possible. If you only weighed that much when you were like 14 years old then it might be a problem.

I think if you had a physical job, worked out five times a week and ate healthy every single day you could do it. I dunno I'm not expert though you should ask the Wook.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited October 2008

it's possible but unlikely if you're really out of shape. if you're just a little out of shape that will take 3-4 months.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    15lb in 45 days @ 225lb currently - sounds pretty doable dude, depending on several factors.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i figure it's a start.

at my wildest dreams, i'm like to lose about 45ish, maybe 50 pounds which im pretty sure would give me a flat stomach and some definition

so the first 15 would be a nice start

redfenix on
  • Options
    Wombat!!Wombat!! Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Hey guys I don't like lifting weights because I find it very unrewarding but I like doing work things like chopping down trees that need to be chopped down.

I do it vigorously.

What should I do to make muscles.

BTW: I am underweight. Like, 6'3.5" and 140-145 lbs.

Wombat!! on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Mike rippedtoes starting strength for started startled or nothing

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    How the fuck do I attach shit to attach Tube's stuff.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i'm in not terrible shape, and yeah i wrestled @ at weight of 180 during high school
    which was a while ago, buuuuuuut

here's a shitty camwhore pic of me, if it gives any frame of reference
    8a1d5063.png

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Talonrazor wrote: »
    How the fuck do I attach shit to attach Tube's stuff.

don't think you can.

or at least i have no idea

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    i'm in not terrible shape, and yeah i wrestled @ at weight of 180 during high school

8a1d5063.png

Uh. You look fine dude. What are you training for the goddamn olympics? I'd say you need to lose 15 pounds AT MOST.

Unless of course you want to get super ripped or train for the olympics or something.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited October 2008
    45 days = a little over 6 weeks.

the high end of healthy weight lose is 2 pounds a week.

that would be 12 pounds.

Keep in mind, that is healthy weight lose. It is entirely possible to make 15 pounds in 6 weeks, but there is a good chance that you'll be losing muscle in the process.

Also I'm talking about real weight. Not water weight or pooping weight - which you can lose like 5 pounds almost overnight, but is considered very dangerous. And you'll just gain it all back when you drink some water.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    trentsteel wrote: »

8a1d5063.png

Uh. You look fine dude. What are you training for the goddamn olympics? I'd say you need to lose 15 pounds AT MOST.

Unless of course you want to get super ripped or train for the olympics or something.

well, my stomach is the problem
    i have a gut like hahahahaahah
    it's pretty bad, and looks bad
    i'm about a 36 waist now, which is the biggest i've been
    i guess i could work up a gross no-shirt pic for here, if you all don't want to eat any more today.

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

that would be 12 pounds.

Keep in mind, that is healthy weight lose. It is entirely possible to make 15 pounds in 6 weeks, but there is a good chance that you'll be losing muscle in the process.

Also I'm talking about real weight. Not weight water or pooping weight - which you can lose like 5 pounds almost overnight, but is considered very dangerous. And you'll just gain it all back when you drink some water.

that's a little high for the high end of healthy

generally speaking, muscle catabolism starts at around 1 pound / week weight loss. 15 pounds in six weeks, you're probably looking at 50/50 fat/muscle loss.

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

8a1d5063.png

i guess i could work up a gross no-shirt pic for here, if you all don't want to eat any more today.

you wouldn't be the first. i make it a point to post pictures regularly.

the wook on
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So day 1 of being back on a workout schedule killed me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

48 hours after my first heavy leg day in a few months and my traps and erectors are only getting tighter as the day progresses
    i love it

the wook on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    the wook wrote: »

8a1d5063.png

you wouldn't be the first. i make it a point to post pictures regularly.

point, you do.

well, here's me in like Feb, so add another 3-5 pounds on this.
    (nsf appetite/hair phobic)
    ewtimes2.jpg

redfenix on
  • Options
    GafotoGafoto Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Do you comb that?

I think you do.

Gafoto on
    sierracrest.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    NotACrook wrote: »

48 hours after my first heavy leg day in a few months and my traps and erectors are only getting tighter as the day progresses
    i love it

Yes how good does it feel. It hurts like hell but it's like "oh yeah bitch, bring that shit on"

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Gafoto wrote: »
    Do you comb that?

I think you do.

i put in cornrows when the mood strikes

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    and you just want to cut, you don't want to get any bigger?

the wook on
  • Options
    hectorsehectorse Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Meh! Pussy gym didn't disappoint today either.

2 douchebags brought 2 more douchebags and they were doing some sort of deadlift/bent over row mutation, on the space in between the benches... that I had to cross to get water and to the power rack.

>_<

They were doing 135,115 and 95'ish weights.

They were all in wife beaters

hectorse on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    right. i'm happy with my strength, it's a rare moment that i can't lift/move/utilize something because of its heft.

so yeah, i want to cut like whoa

redfenix on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Nogs wrote: »

that would be 12 pounds.

Also I'm talking about real weight. Not weight water or pooping weight - which you can lose like 5 pounds almost overnight, but is considered very dangerous. And you'll just gain it all back when you drink some water.

that's a little high for the high end of healthy

generally speaking, muscle catabolism starts at around 1 pound / week weight loss. 15 pounds in six weeks, you're probably looking at 50/50 fat/muscle loss.

yeah, 2 pounds a week is pretty high, but it's the number i always find when doctors are like "well, technically you can go up to two pounds a week and still be healthy."

But you gotta be on it like a fuckin dog.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Right, so I want to put some weight back on after having lost a couple of kg's over the last few months. I'm going to try and start loading my diet back up with the good stuff - protein and some carbs, and will start going to the gym to get some strength and bulk back into me.

Only problem is I always run out of ideas for food and lose motivation for making the correct types of food for me to eat during the day. What do you guys suggest? I want something I can cook up on a Sunday night, and portion it out for the week. Rices/pastas etc are all cool i guess. Something quick and easy, but also tasty.

Tweaked_Bat_ on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Let me know what else should go in the OP, I'll be adding to it over the next few days. Make sure to PM me as well if you want in the list of dudes doing this.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd find a way to link Tube's program in there.

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    wootah

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    dammit

the wook on
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Whoa, new thread already.

Going to bed, exhausted as hell.

Tomorrow is a tempo day and full body weight circuit.

1000-1500m of 150's, 45-60sec rest between each. 10-12 lifts, of 12 reps and light weight, no rest between sets. go through once, rest 3 min, go through again.

Jyardana on
This discussion has been closed.