Options

The American Presidency: Obama does not believe in prevent defense

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I'd watch Biden, letterman will be a softball mccain knob slobber fest. I'm sure Joe the Plumber will be the topic of conversation.

So you don't watch Letterman, I take it.

I do, I know how treated O'reilly, but McCain will not be walking into an interview that will be anything but sunshine and bullshit. He announced his campaign on letterman and that kind of cordiality is what he will get tonight you can bank on that.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    werehippy wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Ideally, what we'd do right now is cut taxes on the middle class (pro-tip: there's never any pro-economy reason to cut taxes on the poor; we do it only because it's "fair" and because it's easier to sell the tax-cuts to the public) and leave the upper class alone. Generally speaking, raising taxes when the economy is eating itself is not a great idea. The problem right now is that the retardly high deficits are actually contributing to the tanking of the economy, and so a revenue-negative tax cut would likely cause more harm than good. Obama, then, is funding his tax cut for the middle class by raising taxes on the wealthy, thus making the plan revenue neutral. A little harm on the supply side, but a lot of help on the demand side.

As tax policies go, Obama's is fairly well designed and a lot more sophisticated than what we usually get (either "tax cuts for all!" or "tax hikes for the wealthy!").

I'm going to have to disagree with that. The economic thinking behind cutting taxes for the poor (which, depending on how you define poor, is effectively a check cut directly to them in the form a return versus a lower tax bill) is exactly the same as the economic rationale for cutting taxes on the middle class: trickle up economics gives you exponentially more economic growth than trickle down economics.

See my post above.
    And as to raising taxes on the wealthy, in general it's probably true that no one's taxes should go up during a down turn, but given the fact that the stock market is in turmoil, money markets aren't much better, and increasingly the wealthy are just rolling their excess capital into extremely safe vehicles (near zero yield treasury bonds, etc) I think there's a case to be made that taking a part of that as added government revenue, which can then be plowed back into more effective avenues of economic growth (pretty much any form of government spending, including the tax cuts they're offsetting) will do significantly more to turn the economy around than the damage done by a relatively small tax hike on a infinitesimal fraction of the population.

That's pretty much what I said - we should increase their taxes not because it won't be painless or because it has an actual economic benefit, but because we need that revenue to do other things.
    And that's leaving aside there's preciously little in the way of actual proof that people are nearly as concerned about their actual marginal tax rate as conservative pundits like to pretend.

People are concerned about the amount of money the pay to the government, yes. And the more they pay, the more concerned they are.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Her husband is a republican shill for Fox News. The hate sex must be totally mutuial, which creates some sort of insane anger sex.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2008
    I'd watch Biden, letterman will be a softball mccain knob slobber fest. I'm sure Joe the Plumber will be the topic of conversation.

I do, I know how treated O'reilly, but McCain will not be walking into an interview that will be anything but sunshine and bullshit. He announced his campaign on letterman and that kind of cordiality is what he will get tonight you can bank on that.

I seriously doubt this

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

I figured Letterman would totally shock him and call him out - because thats what he does. If he decides to write you off, he doesn't care WHAT you think, or what happens, he sends you off with a bang. I know McCain is different than Paris Hilton - but he had agreed to not discuss prison with her prior to the interview, and then totally did it anyway. He just doesn't care.

But truthfully, his show has long since been recorded and edited for tonight. If there was anything great, we'd have heard about it by now.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

watch?v=XFw-_e1ZckI

moniker on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Goumindong wrote: »
    (pro-tip: there's never any pro-economy reason to cut taxes on the poor; we do it only because it's "fair" and because it's easier to sell the tax-cuts to the public)

Protip: Yes there is.

Pro Explanation: Externalities. When poor people can't pay for shit, they externalize their costs onto everyone else. increasing deadweight loss which increases the aggregate costs to society for those necessary services[and everyones taxes], for those who are able to afford it.

Don't the poor barely pay taxes anyway?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Well I'd almost lay money on Letterman not doing anything tonight. We'll see tomorrow when I'm proven right.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008

Here's the problem with that scenario: Letterman has not been savaging McCain because he wants Obama to win, as I'm sure you know. McCain was a dick and lied through his teeth to Letterman. Not McCain's campaign, McCain personally.

And it wasn't even that he lied about wanting to go on another show. It was that he spent the night in New York after announcing he would be heading to Washington straightaway.

I don't expect him to call him a lying shit to his face, but I do not expect him to make McCain in any way comfortable. Although my favorite idea is still that there's an emergency and he gets a replacement host (and it's Keith Olbermann), and the emergency he and Paul attend to is getting a hot dog or something.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    (pro-tip: there's never any pro-economy reason to cut taxes on the poor; we do it only because it's "fair" and because it's easier to sell the tax-cuts to the public)

Pro Explanation: Externalities. When poor people can't pay for shit, they externalize their costs onto everyone else. increasing deadweight loss which increases the aggregate costs to society for those necessary services[and everyones taxes], for those who are able to afford it.

Yep. Some don't pay any --like myself-- because they earn so little. I can't wait for the day that I actually pay more in taxes than I earn, though. For two reasons. One: I'll be making bank. Two: "With taxes I pay for civilization, and it is quite the bargain."

moniker on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Her husband is a republican shill for Fox News. The hate sex must be totally mutuial, which creates some sort of insane anger sex.

...man, I can hear the dialogue in my head.

...it's...kind of hot. :shock:

:winky:

Shadowen on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Yep. Some don't pay any --like myself-- because they earn so little. I can't wait for the day that I actually pay more in taxes than I earn, though. For two reasons. One: I'll be making bank. Two: "With taxes I pay for civilization, and it is quite the bargain."

Are you counting payroll taxes? Because the poor definitely pay those.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Record Leno.

Watch Letterman.

S'what I'm doing.

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

And then you get it refunded come April. At least on the Federal level. I always wind up owing the State like two bucks or something, though.

moniker on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    HORTON: We’ve got a lot of finger-pointing going on within the camp, and I’d say there’s a pretty broad agreement amongst a number of the senior-most advisors to McCain that the Palin pick is worse than disappointing. It’s a total disaster, as one describes to me. And there is a sort of blame game going on there. […]

I would say the anger and irritation between a number of the senior people in the McCain camp and Bill Kristol is become really acute. … They view this man as the guy who gave them this albatross, Sarah Palin. I think there’s a lot of real anger about it. There’s also recognition that it’s too late to do anything.
    Horton said neoconservatives are “now just proceeding to develop Palin as their candidate, as somebody they want to bring up in 2012, as the neo-con favored Republican.” Last month, a former Republican White House official, who now works at the American Enterprise Institute, said, “She’s bright and she’s a blank page. She’s going places and it’s worth going there with her.”

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    She's going places alright. None of them seem to be good.

moniker on
  • Options
    Armored GorillaArmored Gorilla Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Someone had to mention it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2z3i6YHyB6k

Armored Gorilla on
    "I'm a mad god. The Mad God, actually. It's a family title. Gets passed down from me to myself every few thousand years."
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    As cynical as I am, I don't think the American public is stupid enough to even consider Palin as President.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited October 2008
    HORTON: We’ve got a lot of finger-pointing going on within the camp, and I’d say there’s a pretty broad agreement amongst a number of the senior-most advisors to McCain that the Palin pick is worse than disappointing. It’s a total disaster, as one describes to me. And there is a sort of blame game going on there. […]

I would say the anger and irritation between a number of the senior people in the McCain camp and Bill Kristol is become really acute. … They view this man as the guy who gave them this albatross, Sarah Palin. I think there’s a lot of real anger about it. There’s also recognition that it’s too late to do anything.
    Horton said neoconservatives are “now just proceeding to develop Palin as their candidate, as somebody they want to bring up in 2012, as the neo-con favored Republican.” Last month, a former Republican White House official, who now works at the American Enterprise Institute, said, “She’s bright and she’s a blank page. She’s going places and it’s worth going there with her.”

Well, he's half right. She's definitely blank.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    wtf ARE payroll taxes anyway? What's their purpose?

And do we have something similar in Canada?

I thought you just payed income tax on income.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    During an afternoon taping of "Late Night with David Letterman," McCain said he had not yet spoken to Wurzelbacher, and apologized for the press attention he had received.

"Joe, if you're watching, I'm sorry," McCain said.

So if Letterman really grilled McCain tonight, we'd know. Watching Leno for Biden.

Also:
    Wurzelbacher said a McCain campaign official contacted him several days before the debate to ask him to appear with the candidate at a Toledo rally scheduled for Sunday.

Didn't the McCain camp say they didn't even KNOW Joe was going to be brought up, and his phone was busy during the debate? Yeeeeeeeeah.

All this comes from http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gJsPHiQlgYvAsrHz9mvHJlezQJLwD93RSUA00

mxmarks on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

And then you get it refunded come April. At least on the Federal level. I always wind up owing the State like two bucks or something, though.

Medicare & Social Security deductions do not get refunded.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Payroll taxes, ~15% flat rate to 96k. You pay them and they fund the majority of funding that the U.S. govt gets. But since half of the tax "comes from" the corporation, people get to say that the poor don't pay a lot of taxes.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    werehippy wrote:
    And that's leaving aside there's preciously little in the way of actual proof that people are nearly as concerned about their actual marginal tax rate as conservative pundits like to pretend.

People are concerned about the amount of money the pay to the government, yes. And the more they pay, the more concerned they are.

This is getting pretty tangential, but I meant people aren't concerned about their marginal tax rate in the sense that it doesn't actually impact the economy nearly as much as is claimed (as in, if you tax the rich an extra 5% their consumption, future earnings, and economic activity are almost entirely unaffected). So there really isn't much of a downside at all to Obama's plan to increase the tax rate on the wealthiest 2 odd percent of the population.

As to the point you were making, I really can't say I think people should care, at least not to the extent where it override a pragmatic analysis of the situation and the options open to us. If 2% of the population is a bit more adversely effected (the two percent who have the most to gain from a smoothly functioning government and a flourishing economy) and the trade off is 98% are immediately better off, that's a well functioning government. All things in moderation and so on, but we are so amazingly far from abusing that principle, both in historical and on objective terms, that for all intents and purposes we can increase the tax rate on the wealthiest by pretty much any politically possible amount and everyone woudl ultimately be better off.

werehippy on
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Well, true to a point. You basically want taxes on the lower class to be low enough that they can afford as much as possible, but non-zero so they have some sort of mindshare buy-in to the concept of taxes. Even so, the poor are still going to be using social programs, so trying to eliminate that is futile. At any rate, when you find your optimal tax rate for the po' folks, you pretty much leave it there. You don't fuck around with it to game the system in the same way you do with the middle and upper class, because there's not enough money there to make a difference as regards supply and demand. Which was the point I was trying to get at.

Reasonable assertion. I remove my previous objection.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Washington Post endorses Obama, shocking.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    haha olberman just tore this joe the plumber thing to pieces

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shadowen wrote: »

There's no way it doesn't involve a tire swing and utter shrieking from all parties involved.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    SavantSavant Simply Barbaric Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Y'know, Lou Dobbs would be awesome if he weren't fucking insane. A couple nights ago he was "ACORN" this and "ACORN" that, and...fuck.

Campbell Brown, now... (And I'm not just saying she's awesome because she's lovely.)

Lou Dobbs has been a xenophobic fuckstick for as long as I remember. The first time I took a good look at him was when he totally butchered and lied about US income statistics.

Every time I've briefly watched his show during this election season has been painful.

Savant on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »

There's no way it doesn't involve a tire swing and utter shrieking from all parties involved.

cbrown.jpg

Damn you, Buster Bluth. That's my crazy lovin' you're stealing.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    During an afternoon taping of "Late Night with David Letterman," McCain said he had not yet spoken to Wurzelbacher, and apologized for the press attention he had received.

"Joe, if you're watching, I'm sorry," McCain said.

So if Letterman really grilled McCain tonight, we'd know. Watching Leno for Biden.

Also:
    Wurzelbacher said a McCain campaign official contacted him several days before the debate to ask him to appear with the candidate at a Toledo rally scheduled for Sunday.

Didn't the McCain camp say they didn't even KNOW Joe was going to be brought up, and his phone was busy during the debate? Yeeeeeeeeah.

All this comes from http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5gJsPHiQlgYvAsrHz9mvHJlezQJLwD93RSUA00

You can all suck my nostradamus cock now that letterman didn't do shit to him.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Savant wrote: »
    Y'know, Lou Dobbs would be awesome if he weren't fucking insane. A couple nights ago he was "ACORN" this and "ACORN" that, and...fuck.

Campbell Brown, now... (And I'm not just saying she's awesome because she's lovely.)

Lou Dobbs has been a xenophobic fuckstick for as long as I remember. The first time I took a good look at him was when he totally butchered and lied about US income statistics.

Every time I've briefly watched his show during this election season has been painful.

He hates him some Mexicans.

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Bill Maher is Larry King's guest tonight, for those here who care. Not trying to start up the love/hate Maher debate again, just putting it out there for those interested.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    PantsB wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »

He hates him some Mexicans.

Leprosy. In this country.

Incredible.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Campbell Brown showing the "Letterman/McCain reunion" after this commercial break. Prolly be enough to let you know if its worth watching.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Campbell Brown showing the "Letterman/McCain reunion" after this commercial break. Prolly be enough to let you know if its worth watching.

But seriously Obama hangs around with terrorist america and I stand by that.

Letterman: Of course he does you're a patriot thank you senator.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2008

It actually made me laugh. I needed to close my eyes and remind myself McCain is an asshole.

Letterman straight up asks what happened. Then goes on to say he was excited to allow McCain to go save the day, and then felt like an idiot.

McCain keeps trying to interrupt Letterman's rant (which the crowd loved), and does an insane amount of crazy eyebrow stuff.

McCain just goes "Can I answer now, Dave?"

Dave says "Please."

McCain says "I screwed up."

Wild applause.

Clip over.

mxmarks on
  • Options
    tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    tuxkamen wrote: »

cbrown.jpg

Damn you, Buster Bluth. That's my crazy lovin' you're stealing.

That's her husband?

I stand by my proposed 'scene' 100%, except that he probably does all the shrieking.

Edit: Also, if he did take her name, he'd be Buster Brown.

...sorry.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
  • Options
    RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

It actually made me laugh. I needed to close my eyes and remind myself McCain is an asshole.

Letterman straight up asks what happened. Then goes on to say he was excited to allow McCain to go save the day, and then felt like an idiot.

McCain keeps trying to interrupt Letterman's rant (which the crowd loved), and does an insane amount of crazy eyebrow stuff.

McCain just goes "Can I answer now, Dave?"

Dave says "Please."

McCain says "I screwed up."

Wild applause.

Clip over.

Oh snap.. consider me another democrat for McCain. Fuck the economy, making yourself slapstick trumps domestic policy.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
This discussion has been closed.