As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vista disabled the page file?

Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
I've been getting a lot of low memory popups and random crashes recently. Low and behold, I check the page file and its completely off! So I was getting close to my physical RAM limit and Vista started panicking because it didn't have anywhere else to handle stuff.

The problem is I didn't disable the page file. My HD space HAS been low recently, though- is it possible Vista couldn't get the space it wanted, and so just turned off the page file on its own?

Phoenix-D on

• ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    I've been getting a lot of low memory popups and random crashes recently. Low and behold, I check the page file and its completely off! So I was getting close to my physical RAM limit and Vista started panicking because it didn't have anywhere else to handle stuff.

The problem is I didn't disable the page file. My HD space HAS been low recently, though- is it possible Vista couldn't get the space it wanted, and so just turned off the page file on its own?

I was getting the same problems and also noticed my page file was disabled. I had about 1.5gb free at that time. I later got an external drive and cleared a bunch of shit to it, now I've got 10gb free and re-enabled the page file. It hasn't disabled itself yet, so I'm assuming that was the problem.

I hadn't actually considered that free space was the reason for it to have disabled itself, so kudos to you. I realize now that was most likely what happened.

Arrath on
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Run a disk clean up and specifically clean the System Restore files and Shadow Copies. Some people have freed up a few gigs doing this.

Dark Shroud on