As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The monetary value of classic games?

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Games and Technology
I've been playing video games for a long time. I also am not good at "getting rid" of old stuff just because I'm a very nostalgic guy. That being said as I get older I recognize that you can't take all your shit with you, so I'm getting a lot better at selling or getting rid of stuff in the interest of using that money for something else, clearing up the clutter, etc.

As I parooze eBay I notice that several "classic games" (eg. Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 2, 3, etc.) are selling at fairly attractive rates (~$40 - $60) which makes me think of cashing in some of these old games that I still have in a plastic storage bin in my house.

The question is this: do people think that the value of these games have matured to the point where if someone were to sell them, this would be the time to do so? Or will there be a day where some party will spend $200, or $2,000 on a new copy of something like a Super Metroid, or Earthbound?

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• Options
    WembleyWembley Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    I've been playing video games for a long time. I also am not good at "getting rid" of old stuff just because I'm a very nostalgic guy. That being said as I get older I recognize that you can't take all your shit with you, so I'm getting a lot better at selling or getting rid of stuff in the interest of using that money for something else, clearing up the clutter, etc.

As I parooze eBay I notice that several "classic games" (eg. Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 2, 3, etc.) are selling at fairly attractive rates (~$40 - $60) which makes me think of cashing in some of these old games that I still have in a plastic storage bin in my house.

The question is this: do people think that the value of these games have matured to the point where if someone were to sell them, this would be the time to do so? Or will there be a day where some party will spend $200, or $2,000 on a new copy of something like a Super Metroid, or Earthbound?

I think now might be the time to do so. It might even be a little late. With all the new online functionality of consoles resulting in things like the Wii Virtual Console, it's becoming much easier to find affordable versions of old games. Once more games become available, the only people trolling ebay for old games will be die hard collectors, and I'm not sure there's enough of them to create sufficient demand and drive up prices. Just my own thoughts, though. I have no idea what will really happen.

Wembley on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008

Only if it's shrink wrapped and never played. But really games aren't going to keep going up in value (partly thanks to the VC) after a certain point. If you see a SNES going for about $60 I'd probably put it up.

Now if you click around amazon.com's marketplace you'll see hugely inflated prices on games for some reason.

urahonky on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Most NES games go for $5-10. Most Atari 2600 games are $1-2. This was the case even before Nintendo unveiled the VC and the modern advent of XBLA remakes/rereleases.

If you don't care about having these games in the future, I'd move 'em now while they're still worth something. Unless they're sealed, they're only going to decrease in value as they age.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    urahonky wrote: »

Only if it's shrink wrapped and never played. But really games aren't going to keep going up in value (partly thanks to the VC) after a certain point. If you see a SNES going for about $60 I'd probably put it up.

Now if you click around amazon.com's marketplace you'll see hugely inflated prices on games for some reason.

I've not listed on amazon, so I can't be sure. But if I had to guess I'd say it's probably because their listings are cheap and of either extremely long or unlimited duration (unlike eBay).

Which basically means you list it once and wait for some dipshit to actually pay what you're asking, because hell even if it takes six or eight months you still made more money.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »

I've not listed on amazon, so I can't be sure. But if I had to guess I'd say it's probably because their listings are cheap and of either extremely long or unlimited duration (unlike eBay).

Which basically means you list it once and wait for some dipshit to actually pay what you're asking, because hell even if it takes six or eight months you still made more money.

The same is true for half.com and those prices are much more reasonable. :P It's really weird. Maybe people assume that people shop amazon's marketplace without shopping around?

I'm sure there are people like that.

urahonky on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    If you don't care about having these games in the future, I'd move 'em now while they're still worth something. Unless they're sealed, they're only going to decrease in value as they age.

this, yea. unless youve got collectors grade copies of games hanging around theyre not going to appreciate much/any value generally.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I posted something along these lines a couple of months ago myself. My predicament was since I all ready have games in both the CD and VC format do I really need the original cartridge? I first posted the question to my friends that said sell, then posted the question here who said sell, but when I posted the question to my wife she said no.

And I hope her explination helps you. She stated even though I have enough Atari, Nintendo, ect games and systems to put a small down payment on a home it's your enjoyment of being a collector and knowing that those games are originally yours. And the gain of some "monetary" fund at the time would not out way the loss of your collection in the long run.

And this is a girl who hates my video game collection. So keep in mind you may not be able to "take it with you" but you don't where might be down the road.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Unless you own items that will never make it to marketplace, VC or PSN. Have extremely limited print runs or are the most desirable Neo Geo AES titles, very little will actually increase in value over time now.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It all depends on if you're more of a collector or more of a gamer. I don't particularly care to collect games these days so if there's a better or cheaper version of a game I already own, I'll generally sell my copy and get the newer version. I've done this with SNES games (anticipating their Wii release) as well as games that make their way to XBLA like Ikaruga & Space Invaders Extreme. I have no regrets.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I sold a 'black label' copy of FF7 for $90 back in the late spring/early summer on ebay. I have a bunch of SNES games that I've decided that I should get rid off. I'm not sure how well I'll be able to sell them locally. How many people would want Donkey Kong Country 1-3 these days? I don't want to deal with ebay again because paypal screwed me. They're never getting that $10.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I got lucky and sold off my classic gaming collection in the early 00's. Back when some SNES games were pulling in $100+

I got $150 for my copy of FF3 with a save with everything in the game maxed.

Think I got $90 for Chrono Trigger and close to that or more for Earthbound.

Anyway, I sold about 50 old games, made a nice profit and that's that. I miss having them sometimes, but now with VC I can look into playing them all again.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • Options
    Syd LexiaSyd Lexia Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    What other people said.

Unless it's sealed, the longer you hold on to a game, the greater the chance there is that someone will reprint it. For a recent example, look at Marvel vs. Capcom 2. This is a game that consistently went for $80-100 on eBay with box and manual, and now with the ESRB leak that it's going to be on PSN and XBLA, the value of unsealed copies is quickly dropping.

Syd Lexia on
  • Options
    Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If your sole interest is monetary, then maybe. It's a fair point that most games are going to become more availible and accessible as services like the VC become commonplace, however what this neglects is the fact that you're likely going to be paying each time you want to get that game on a new service, so if it's a game you particularily like you may, over a few generations, end up spending near to or even more than you sold your original copy for.

Monetary issues aside, if you've got an original copy then you've always got that game and the satisfaction of having an actual physical copy of the game. Granted having a physical copy doesn't matter to everybody and some couldn't care less as long as they can play it, but personally I find there is something satisfying/reassuring/compelling (hard to describe) about actually owning the physical copy of the game, rather than a digital copy. With an original it's there, it's yours, and you can play it without concerns about DRM and licencing rights and limitations, and without worrying about paying whatever service it's availible on (possibly for the nth time).

So, if you can't see yourself playing the games much again and are looking to the optimal cash in, then sell away. Otherwise, consider the long term costs and whether you'd be just as happy playing and paying for a digital copy.

Track Nine on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Classic games, similar to other niche hobbies, are only worth as much as whatever a person is willing to pay. Someone may pay you $100.00 for a black label FF7 copy, someone else may not pay you more than $10.00

Honestly, my philosophy is to keep everything because they remind me of good times as a kid playing with my brother and friends. It's nice to show people my 'library' of games and talk about what was going on when I was playing them.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    h8b1llg8tsh8b1llg8ts Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Syd Lexia wrote: »
    What other people said.

Unless it's sealed, the longer you hold on to a game, the greater the chance there is that someone will reprint it. For a recent example, look at Marvel vs. Capcom 2. This is a game that consistently went for $80-100 on eBay with box and manual, and now with the ESRB leak that it's going to be on PSN and XBLA, the value of unsealed copies is quickly dropping.

Very true. This was a game that I always wanted and was the last outstanding game of my oXbox collection. But I couldn't bring myself into paying $60+ for this game. But as of yesterday, MvsC2 $39 including shipping ... much better.

h8b1llg8ts on
    Coolest Guy I Know
    h8b1llg8ts.gif
    sig.gif
    MAX: Liz I really, really wish that this could be something, you know, more. But it can't. We're just...

LIZ: Different.

VOICE-OVER: It's September 24th, I'm Liz Parker and five days ago I died. But then the really amazing thing happened. I came to life.
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    If you sell stuff, sell what you don't ever want to keep. If you keep stuff, keep what brings back those good old memories. My collection of nes/snes/atari 2600-7800 games reflects who I am as a gamer. Get rid of games that you don't care for or are willing to buy on nintendo's VC.

Viscountalpha on