As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wow] Zombie [Chat] hungers for braaaaaains...

MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in MMO Extravaganza
The Wrath of the Lich King Scourge Invasion has begun (as of October 23rd, exactly 3 weeks (!) before the release of WotLK), in the form of a zombie plague! Strange, corrupted grain crates have appeared in Booty Bay that are quickly spreading a deadly plague and corrupting Horde and Alliance players. If the plague's corruption is left untreated, we will have a zombie invasion on our hands!

This is basically what happened in the zombie invasion.

Things are getting progressively worse!

Phase 2 (10/23)
Plagued roaches and more crates
It appears that this plague is more out of hand than we thought! The corrupted grain shipments have now made their way into the capital cities and have brought infectious vermin in the form of Plagued Roaches! What's worse is that killing these roaches only spreads the contagion further! Is there no end to this madness?

Phase 3 (10/24)
Plagued residents, shorter infection time and more madness!
Several Argent Healers were removed, and additional roaches and crates were added. The duration of the infection disease was reduced to 5 minutes! Also, level 10 Plagued Residents can now be found outside capital cities.

Phase 4 (10/25)
Citadels, Scourge Invasion and a Call to Arms!
The Scourge Invasion is launching in full-force! The zombie infection now only lingers for 2 minutes before players become zombies, and giant floating citadels have appeared above major cities! So far they just sit idle in the sky in front of the major city reaches. What new sort of evil does the scourge have planned? Quests have become available outside of the major cities asking players to investigate Dim Necrotic Circles that have spawned outside the cities, and to defeat the Scourge and return with 3 Dim Necrotic Stone.

Argent Scouts have spawned at an Argent Dawn camp in the main cities and give a new quest, Light's Hope Chapel (which appears to be an updated version of the old Scourge Invasion quest). The quest asks plays to deliver the Call to Arms Announcement to the Keeper of the Rolls at Light's Hope Chapel, in Eastern Plaguelands.

Throughout the world, Necrotic Shards have spawned surrounded by level 70 Skeletal Shocktrooper, Ghoul Berserkers, Cultist Engineer as well as elite Shadow of Doom. You can tell which zone is under attack by the Scourge by checking your world map and looking for a purple skull icon in a zone. The shards can be damaged and destroyed, and upon destroying a Necrotic Shard you gain the half-hour buff Soul Revival. The Scourge can drop Necrotic Runes, which are used as a currency to purchase items from the Argent Dawn Quartermaster. Rare spawns and Shadows of Doom located at the shards have a chance of dropping epic quality chest and leg armor.

Phase 5 (10/26)
Could it get any worse?
The zombie infection now only lingers for 1 minute before players become zombies, which is more dangerous than ever considering that most of the Argent Healers are now gone from major cities.

Phase 6 (10/26)
All good things come to an end
Commoners can now be found inside capital cities, which give you a new quest, Desperate Research, that sends you to Grand Apothecary Putress (Horde) or Bishop Lazari (Alliance), both found in their respective organization's camps located near the Aldor Bank in Shattrath City. You will then be sent to your faction's main city to bring the news. Rumors say the joint alliance of the Horde and the Alliance have found a cure for the plague.

wowscrnshot_102208_225945.jpg
How to Become a Zombie!

1. Become infected by interacting with the conspicuous crates in Booty Bay or sometimes by being attacked by a zombie (NPC or player). Also, if you step in the green Retch! cloud spread by a zombie you will become infected after a little while.
2. You will gain a [strike]10-minute[/strike] [strike]5-minute[/strike] [strike]2-minute[/strike] [strike]1-minute[/strike] 30-Second infection disease that can be cleansed by paladins/shaman/priests (?), or by standing near an Argent Healer - but where's the fun in that!
3. When the infection has run its full course you will instantly be transformed into a zombie! You cannot mount, and walk incredibly slow but are granted an arsenal of new skills (see below) which you can use to spread the plague to the unsuspecting!

Zombie Skills

* Mangle! - Increases your next attack by 20 damage and reduces the target's armor by 3%.
* Retch! - Retch on the ground! Humanoids in it are slowed and infected. Zombies in it are healed.
* Beckoning Groan - Beckon up to four zombies to you. They must not be in combat.
* Lurch! - You and nearby zombies gain a temporary burst of speed, to help catch your food. Removes any move impairment or crowd control effect.
* Zombie Explosion! - Burst into pieces, destroying yourself but infecting those around you.

Infecting Others!

* Use Retch! or Zombie Explosion!
* Kill any NPC and they will be converted into a zombie. Use Beckoning Groan! to call any idle zombie NPCs to your aid!
* Kill any player and they will be converted into a zombie that can fight alongside you. You can be healed by their Retch!.

Notes and Tips

* Zombies will gradually lose health over time so be sure to watch your health and stay healed by attacking enemies! Retch! will also heal you for about 350 per tick.
* You can skip the 10 minute waiting time on You're Infected! by killing yourself (warning: you will lose 10% durability on your equipped items) or by losing a duel to another player! Other methods: Stoneform (Dwarf), Divine Shield (Paladin), Ice Block (Mage).
* To make sure you don't lose any durability, feel free to take off all your gear. Your gear stats will not help you as a zombie.
* As a zombie you become friendly to all other zombies and hostile to every player faction. Players of your faction will show up with red names and everyone becomes your prey! This effectively allows you to talk and trade with any other zombie, including those of the opposing faction!
* As a zombie your melee power is not amazing (you'll basically be spamming Mangle!) and survivability is key. Be sure that you are using and standing inside Retch! so you are getting healed while you attack. Attacking living enemies will also heal you.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
MuddBudd on

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I so want to do this NOW, but homework has been calling me since I woke up. Gotta finish it. Why do I gotta?

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Counting down the minutes until I can get into WoW and start blasting zombies, unfortunately it hours away...

I'll have to become one at least once, of course.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    ZerinanZerinan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Damn you Argent Dawn!

That is all.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    All of this right after I hit exalted with them, the bastards!

Beyond Normal on
    Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I really almost just left work saying I had some important personal stuff to deal with.

then i realized the other guy who works til 6 with me took a vacation day (he got cable today so i know he's playing)

i am going to kill him so hard if he's a zombie when i get home.

Grath on
  • Options
    OSUJumpManOSUJumpMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so has anyone else noticed the Winter's Chill debuff bugged on them as well? I got it stacked twice on me and was set to last for 30 minutes . . . hotfix soon?

OSUJumpMan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Some details on this stuff:

http://www.wowinsider.com/2008/10/22/the-argent-dawn-spreads-word-of-the-lich-kings-arrival/

Raids on cities? Possible cross-faction zombie talk? Madness!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    I'm wondering, if one gets turned into a zombie, can they kill the Argent Healers? This is something I must find out!

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    GrathGrath I'm a much happier person these days Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I want to take a huge horde of zombies to stormwind and kill their faction leader.

Get my warbear now!

Grath on
  • Options
    W2W2 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I can confirm that you can talk cross faction to other zombies with /say.

W2 on
  • Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So I got infected in Goldshire and immediatly mounted up, then flew to Zul'Aman, crashed when I came through the portal, and then landed and was killed by the elite 70s guarding the flightpoint there. Infected one of the guards though.

Seg on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    we just destroyed goldshire and redridge, then tried to infect stormwind castle

sort of failed at that, though

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Dyscord wrote: »
    we just destroyed goldshire and redridge, then tried to infect stormwind castle

sort of failed at that, though

Did you have level 75 Stormwind guards constantly spawning on you? In Elwynn and Redridge I mean.

W2 on
  • Options
    GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Anyone have screenshots of hot zombie action yet?

Galielmus on
  • Options
    AsumaAsuma Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Galielmus wrote: »
    Anyone have screenshots of hot zombie action yet?

Link from mmo champion of a zombie raid: http://www.mmo-champion.com/index.php?topic=22682.60

Asuma on
    "Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right, you meet the same idiots coming around from the left." -- Clint Eastwood ***
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    This is so epic. FUCK HOMEWORK.

Beyond Normal on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    little trick, and i dont know if it has been mentioned yet, when you swap weapons or any gear at all in ghoul form, you get healed compleately

Oh now there's an interesting quote from MMO-Champion forums. Can anyone confirm it?

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    No, because the freaking Argent Dawn healers keep sneaking up on me and cleansing me! GAH!

Edit: No, I can't confirm it.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Did my first HH daily and got both caster rings. Woo!

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Zerinan wrote: »
    No, because the freaking Argent Dawn healers keep sneaking up on me and cleansing me! GAH!

Lose a duel while infected.

Also, while Thrall may be immune from the plague, Vol'jin isn't.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    In my opinion this is no fun.

It's very easy to die when you're a zombie, the zombification debuff takes far too long, and there are way too many Argent Dawn healers around.

Also, you know, the level 75 city guards that spawn whenever you try and attack anything.

W2 on
  • Options
    MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    W2 wrote: »

It's very easy to die when you're a zombie, the zombification debuff takes far too long, and there are way too many Argent Dawn healers around.

Also, you know, the level 75 city guards that spawn whenever you try and attack anything.

Depends on where you go for the guards, but I definitely agree. Zombies are not very strong and there's no way to build up a force that matters before someone wants to ruin it. Maybe it'll be nicer in the coming days.

Mgcw on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    MuddBudd wrote: »

Lose a duel while infected.

Also, while Thrall may be immune from the plague, Vol'jin isn't.

:lol:

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Mgcw wrote: »
    W2 wrote: »

Depends on where you go for the guards, but I definitely agree. Zombies are not very strong and there's no way to build up a force that matters before someone wants to ruin it. Maybe it'll be nicer in the coming days.

I thought it would be a nice idea to infect General Marcus, out the front of Stormwind. He's got a bunch of hitpoints and I figured if he turned then he'd be able to take out some of the guards.

Nope, waited the ten minutes and he ended up with 8k health. Disappointing.

W2 on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    little trick, and i dont know if it has been mentioned yet, when you swap weapons or any gear at all in ghoul form, you get healed compleately

Oh now there's an interesting quote from MMO-Champion forums. Can anyone confirm it?

Confirmed, sort of. You can't switch weapons (Cannot do that while disarmed) but if you move armor around out of combat you'll be back to full health.

W2 on
  • Options
    ValVal Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Wish I wasn't in BT this sounds so much fun.

Val on
  • Options
    JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    I'm off to infect the UD starting area.

Joeslop on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If you keep swapping in and out your ranged weapon, you can survive nearly forever. However, it makes it difficult to do that when ten people are chasing you halfway through Elwyn Forrest trying to kill you.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    If you keep swapping in and out your ranged weapon, you can survive nearly forever. However, it makes it difficult to do that when ten people are chasing you halfway through Elwyn Forrest trying to kill you.

Hmmmm....

What about your ammo? That can be swapped in combat, you could even macro it.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Keamien wrote: »
    Oh man. So I just hit 70 on my paladin (First max level alt, woo!) and I have been gearing for defense for heroics from 60-70, collecting anything with defense on it I could find and, holy fucking god is it hard to get 490 defense. I only have 3 slots that don't have a defense stat in them, and im lacking like 20-30 defense rating. Holy fuck this is hard. I OTed some shit in kara and was squishy as hell, EVEN WITH ATTUMEN's Mobs! This is going to be frustrating getting blues from dungeons.

I figured I'd reply to this here, given that the other chat thread is overflowing.

I didn't find it that hard to get my paladin to uncrittable. Get the Felsteel set made up, either gem it with Thick Dawnstone (+8 Defense Rating) or Enduring Talasite (+4 DR, +6 Stam). Keepers of Time revered for the head enchant, Jade-skull Breastplate from Mechanar or the Aldor revered chest, Sha'tari Wrought Armguards... then initially I filled a lot of slots with green items of the Champion.

And then they changed Anticipation and I still managed to hit the cap without any Kara+ gear. I have some Kara gear as of last night but before that I was uncrittable.

W2 on
  • Options
    ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    So, how long does this event last? Hope it's not one day only. Today I have maybe 20 mins to play. :(

Zandracon on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    It's the Wrath launch event, so I'm guessing it'll go on (and probably progress) until then.

815165 on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah... as much fun as this is, there's just enough classic Blizzard bullshit to ruin it. Stuff likely in place because they really don't want entire cities infected and all commerce to grind to a halt. Takes too long to become a zombie, they're too fragile for the wait involved, and having the crates in Booty Bay really kills any chance of real exposure. What they should do is:

-Put the crates outside all the capital cities. Maybe even all towns and innkeepers if they're feeling nice. So we can get infected if there's nobody spreading it.
    -If it's too much of a problem to buff the zombies (you really don't want a handful destroying the cities, I'm sure), then drop the wait down to 2 or 3 minutes. 10 minutes is way too bloody long a wait.
    -Remove the Disease classification from the debuff and only allow the Argent Dawn healers to remove it. They're everywhere anyways, so it's not like it's a problem if you don't want it. But letting buzzkill players remove it too really sucks ass when you're trying to get things going.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Note to self: The flight master is not an ideal first target.

Arrath on
  • Options
    edited October 2008

Hmmmm....

What about your ammo? That can be swapped in combat, you could even macro it.

Dunno about ammo, I use a throw weapon, but in theory it would work, at least, until they hotfix it.

Zerinan on
    6394_970621.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Attempt #1: Infect Goldshire. Failed because of level 75 guard assramming me.

Attempt #2: Infect Ironforge. Failed because of level 75 guard assramming me.

Attempt #3: Infect the Crossroads. Success, no level 75 guards there to do any assramming. A bunch of us zombies then took down the flight master.

Also, fun fact: if you have enough zombies beating on a player, sooner or later they'll turn into a zombie despite what their health is. I was AoEing a bunch of zombies (like, 20+ atleast) on my Protadin and all of a sudden I turn into a zombie. Same thing happened to a shadow priest a bunch of us were beating on: he had more than half of his health left but all of a sudden turned into a zombie. Not sure if it's a bug or something.

reVerse on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Shatt being a sanctuary really ruins the zombie fun.

Although you can infect all the bankers, auctioneers and class trainers in capitol cities..

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited October 2008
    I have never seen holy wrath hit so many thigns at once.

I want to try this thing against Duskwood, where it would be Thematic.

Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Thelsamar infection: Success!

Arrath on
This discussion has been closed.