As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ding dong the witch is dead. And by witch I mean E for All.

ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle SeeressWARegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in PAX Archive
In the immortal words of Nelson Muntz: "Ha, ha!"

No more tellytubbies, or suits lying about their communication or lack thereof with PA, or cheap hype and overpriced admission.

The big question is, with the ESA in dire straits and trying to make one last desperate bid for relevance by trying to build up E3 again, will they succeed? I think they've managed over the last few years to forfeit most of their momentum in the market to PAX. I think their final push will end up being based on a flawed understanding of the new market environment, and they will overreach themselves and collapse.

(I now notice that my thread is a duplicate, but then why would somebody call a thread about E4Ennui "PAX on Yahoo news"?)

yfrxgugaj8wu.png
ElectricTurtle on

• Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    The link doesn't really say anything about E4A disolving, just that the people there should feel free to attend E3 and other venues.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    The link doesn't really say anything about E4A disolving, just that the people there should feel free to attend E3 and other venues.

This one's pretty clear about the matter.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    wasn't it like 3 weeks ago that they announced that they would open to the public on friday and saturday?! i was all ready to buy my tickets to go down there!

granted, i'm still a huge pax fan, but let's be fair, we all loved e3 way back in its hayday.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    wasn't it like 3 weeks ago that they announced that they would open to the public on friday and saturday?! i was all ready to buy my tickets to go down there!

granted, i'm still a huge pax fan, but let's be fair, we all loved e3 way back in its hayday.

I think that was just a misunderstanding of some sort, I can't remember the details, but no it is not going to be open to public, just media and the gaming indrustry... So E3 will be growing again it seems, but they still fail... And that just probably means PAX will grow even more

Maybe by 2010 when we have PAX twice a year that will thin the crowds just a bit lol

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Options
    Oz K. FodrotskiOz K. Fodrotski Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    but let's be fair, we all loved e3 way back in its hayday.

I agree, everyone, everyone wanted to go to E3 back in the hugeness and spectacle. As a press-only event, it doesn't make a bunch of sense: a friend of mine explained it (be it his or someone else's explanation, I don't know) like this.

"Suppose you want to give someone some papers, containing information. E3 is the equivalent of throwing said papers in a bag full of cats, and then spinning the bag around above your head really really quickly. Did you get the information? Do I know? Does anyone even care?"

Oz K. Fodrotski on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    They said that they were going to relax their standards for allowing media and gaming industry people in. In the past, anyone with a vague connection to the industry could go. Some friends of mine that worked for Costco went, because Costco sells video games.

They really tightened up their restrictions when they moved to the new format, and based on the results of that change, they're loosening them up again.

I imagine we're going to see E3 try and recapture the glory that it had 3-4 years ago, but it's probably not going to work. Gamers are stubborn people, and we hold grudges. E3 was this huge, great, amazing festival, but it did lose focus. It became too big, too self-important, and too vague. But the response from E3 was disproportional. Instead of moving the festival back on track, they completely gutted everything that was attractive about it and turned it into something akin to the GDC, only lamer. Then they lost all the fanfare, traffic, and (I suspect) money.

Now they're desperately scrambling to recapture the awesome festival that they had 3-4 years ago, but in my opinion, they're going to miss the mark like the OP suggested. If these are the people who decided on the new format for E3, I don't trust them to re-envision it successfully a second time.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    zWolfzWolf Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    so,

I watched a 'review' of E for All on You Tube, for one I like conventions having been to the last Two PAX's, secondly I miss (the old) E3 and E for All was rumored to be a resurrection of the glory days of E3.

Anyway, the reviewer (Sadie) mentions PAX as 'the place to be' that and just seeing how 'empty' every thing was at the place juxtaposed against PAX really made me know that I'd done the right thing by going to PAX.

I figured others might enjoy it so I'm posting the You tube link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7qyXyGHKWM

zWolf -out. (woops dupe post, thanks for the shift mod. and I re-watched the vid.. the 'slammings' don't start happening till about mid way through the vid.. it looks like she "ultraneko" was trying to give it a decent chance at the start.. but by the end - it was more of a satirical look at the con / FauxCon.)

zWolf on
  • Options
    Post BluePost Blue Redmond, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One less convention to not care about. Okay.

Post Blue on
    Moments before the wind.
This discussion has been closed.