As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Computer Won't Boot

LaviLavi Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Before I begin let me prelude that the computer in question is approx. 6 years old and my tech-savyness is limited.

About a week ago my computer started to randomly shut down, so I did the basic virus scan/spyware scan, defrag, cleaned it up and googled possible causes. Since it didn't find any malware I assumed it must be dust as per other topics I found online.

After I cleaned it and assembled it back together it just stopped booting completely. Sort of. I turned the switch on the back of my PSU and it booted except for the fan on the motherboard. I installed another PSU I had lying around but this time the light in the back of the PSU just kept blinking without booting.

I googled/talked to a few friends and they came to the conclusion that it was either my PSU's, the motherboard fan, or the actual motherboard. Maybe all three. A friend suggested I messed something up when I was cleaning it of dust but I was very meticulous about it even googling beforehand suggested methods of cleaning.

I'm really wondering if there is anything I can do to salvage the computer. I've upgraded it over the years which is why its lasted me so long (ram, video card, HDD, drives, cables, etc).

Is it fixable or should I salvage what I can? I'm really wondering because with school, work, other things going on + money I won't be able to look into getting a new one well into next year. The only thing I made sure to do was backup everything into my secondary HDD and put it away for a worst case scenario which appears to be occuring.

Right now I'm under the assumption that its old and things break.

Lavi on

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    well i think that blinking light means you tripped the safety in the PSU. you should be able to get it to stop blinking by unplugging the cord going to it for a few minutes.

most likely the problem is your CPU fan is dead. without a CPU fan many motherboards will simply not power up. you can get a replacement fan at Newegg.com

Dunadan019 on