As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Duff wrote: »
    No, I have no desire nor resources to interfere with other's games, I simply had am abundance of Heaven's Strikers and Guldmillas. :/

And no, I tried a new account but they ban by CC it appears.

Oh wow. That's a lame reason to ban. That's not a serious offense. If anything, it just warranted a weapon wipe. Do you have a friends card you could use and pay them like 10 bucks a month?

Gilder on
  • Options
    DuffDuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I could use my friends card, but then I'm wondering if I'll be banned again once they find I have the same IP. I was mainly wondering if you guys knew whether they banned on IP, or on CC?

Duff on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    no clue; sorry. But to be honest banning on IP's would be pretty silly for any company these days. With dynamic IP's, colleges with mass LAN's, etc, banning an IP would put too many people out.

I think most major businesses these days understand that people aren't tied to IP's anymore, and that it's a horribly unreliable way of monitoring individuals.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, I do have a different credit card, but since Sega are dicks, I figure they'd ban the account when they figure out its coming from the same IP, seeing as how I don't have a dynamic IP or anything like that.

Duff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Duff wrote: »
    Well, I do have a different credit card, but since Sega are dicks, I figure they'd ban the account when they figure out its coming from the same IP, seeing as how I don't have a dynamic IP or anything like that.

well, if you don't try; you'll never know.

I mean; there's a ton of things they could look at. name, address, birthday, CC#, IP.

You might be better off just calling playsega and just straight up asking if you're worried for some reason about using a different CC.

Up to you though; you know, you don't have to do anything at all.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Well like I said, Sega are dicks. My bother tried to play PSU too, and sent an email to playsega. Even though my account was banned, they said we won't be able (neither of us) to purchase a Sega account. Which is why I say it will be banned when they figure out its the same household.

Duff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Wow. That's really stupid. I mean seriously, banning for a couple illegal weapons? It's such a minor offense. Maybe you could register and try asking people on the pso-world boards? I doubt they'd really care about the reason for banning since it's so minor but they're much more knowledgeable on this stuff than I am.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Meh, Sega are douches so I figure I'll just leave it alone. Just wanted to ask you guys before I gave up on it.

Duff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah sorry, I'm not really good at that kind of stuff. I still say you could ask on pso-world for better results but other than that you'd probably just have to call and ask them to unban you, and that has almost no chance of happening since sega doesn't really care.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Its all good, thanks for caring. I figure for the next PSO/U I'll be away to Uni so I'll have a new IP and new CC.

Duff on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    For today only (afaik) Amazon.com has the PS2 version of PSU for 9.99 + shipping.

If anyone was still considering checking it out there's not really a better time.

They had the 360 one at this price a few days ago; I'm hoping that they put the PC one for 9.99 here soon so I can have it for that too.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    A friend and I are looking for a new game. We've been out of WoW for a while, and while I kinda enjoy Guild Wars, it isn't really his thing. It seems like PSU is a bit more action oriented, which is cool, but how is the social aspect? Are there a lot of people online at any time, can you run into other people in the world, are there "guilds" or anything?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I'd really like to play on the PC because that way I can play at night but my computer is just too weak to run it. The RAM is just the tiniest bit too low and I don't think the graphics card is up to the task. It sucks. I have almost no doubt though that the PC version will be on sale for 10 bucks soon. Also guys, come on. 10 bucks? Just buy the damn thing. Even if you end up not liking it, I'm sure you can sell it online for 20 and make a profit.

Delzhand, what system would you play it on? Because PS2/PC has a sort of.... small community, mostly in universe 2. Like around 2,000 to 3,000 people. 360 has a bigger community though because nobody left due to hacking. However, I honestly believe that the community in each version will increase this fall when the expansion comes out. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it jumped back up when that Firepoint mission or whatever starts in 2 weeks.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    It would be for PC. I see that Gamestop has it for 30, 25 used. That's not too bad. I guess a small community isn't terrible - nothing is going to measure up to WoW in that regard. How does it play? I've seen clips and videos, and the reason I'm interested is that it seems a bit different than the whole "auto-attack+press 1-9 for your skills" setup that most MMOs seem to have.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It would be for PC. I see that Gamestop has it for 30, 25 used. That's not too bad. I guess a small community isn't terrible - nothing is going to measure up to WoW in that regard. How does it play? I've seen clips and videos, and the reason I'm interested is that it seems a bit different than the whole "auto-attack+press 1-9 for your skills" setup that most MMOs seem to have.

Yeah, if you just stand there and think you'll win in a stat war where you just press the heal button over and over when you get hurt, you'll get your ass killed. However, I'd stay away from rangers if I were you because they just stay back press the attack key over and over to shoot them. Play as hunter or force. Hunters get lots of cool weapons and moves and you can do stuff like press attack 3 times for slashes and then press the other button for the special move you have assigned. Like spinning your saber in all sorts of directions.

Forces have it really tough. Unlike hunters, we can't lock on to enemies. We have spells that hit multiple guys but you have to make sure they're in your range. Hitting 3 guys at once won't help if your attack goes behind them. Single hitting spells are really strong but you have to aim precisely. Then we have moves where we shoot out like a wave of fire but it's not very wide so you move it left and right. We also have spells that hit 6 guys at once but it's only around you yourself so you need to make sure you won't die in the crowd.

With either class though you'll be wanting to level up your special moves which requires using them over and over. You can't just stand still though because getting surrounded is tantamount to murder unless you're way above them. Also, hunters and rangers can't use healing spells unless you choose specific classes for them, like Wartecher or Guntecher. You'll have to use items if you don't choose those so you don't want to take too much damage or you'll go broke from buying items.

Edit: Forgot to mention, when you're leveling up skills, they reward you by changing it at levels 11 and 21. I think rangers get increased chance to inflict a status, hunters get more hits to their combo like they'll spin and then after that they'll do another slash or something, and forces get bigger spells and increased range and stuff. The expansion is upping the skill cap from 30 to 40 as well so they'll upgrade again at 31.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007

Think of most any action/adventure game on consoles, legacy of kain type games. It's that sort of action. But with 6 man parties. It's an RPG more akin to Diablo or Guild Wars than an MMO like WoW or EQ.

Whether that's good or bad is up to what you like.

Glider went over it pretty well so I won't get into it too much, except to say that all the classes are simliar enough to get the hang of quickly if you make an alt or switch jobs, but different enough that if you've leveled up a hunter it doesn't feel the same if you're leveling a ranger or force. My "main" is a hunter, some intense melee action, but I like playing my ranger when I feel like "ezmode" (it's not really, but it's a considerably safer game than forces or hunters), and a force when I want to do some sick damage. I guess the damage balances out at higher level but even my hunter at 38 is totally outdamaged by forces, and in some cases well equipped hunters.

Anyway, link to the PS2 version at amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Inc-10086630886/dp/B0009R1TA4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/104-1049637-1183921?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1179098583&sr=8-2

PC one, but it's 29.99 (decent price on it's own TBH):
    http://www.amazon.com/Sega-of-America-Inc-85152/dp/B000G0HJ30/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-1049637-1183921?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1179098583&sr=8-3

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Oh wow, I find this kind of funny and yet also really dumb. Apparently, SEGA forgot to lift the ban off one of the new S-Ranks you can get from the newest missions they added. So when people get the board and make it, it disappears. They're working to address the problem but man, that is funny and yet sucks so badly for those that had theirs disappear.

Gilder on
  • Options
    WavechaserWavechaser Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hey guys, I'm quitting WoW for good and looking for a replacement drug. If I do get the game, I will be getting the PC version for sure. Any recommendations, warnings, etc etc before I drop the money on this game?

Wavechaser on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The PS2 version is still listed at 9.99 for anyone that cares.

And Wavechaser, if you read the past couple pages I think you can get a general idea of what anyone would say about the game.

The PS2/PC population is a bit sparse atm, but it's not like it's a ghost town as long as you stick to Uni 2. You'll run into dipshits and you'll run into cool dude(te)s. This is due to hacking that occured in these versions early on in the game online; which still has an effect on the economy (synth items going for 100x what they should/do on the 360 version), but at the same time since the money is in the economy you can make a lot of money really quickly to offset this imbalance.

You can explore the planets and abundance of missions, or you can go the "popular" route of spamming Crimson Beast missions for the best xp/mp vs. time. This gets rather tedius though, I don't recommend it. Just like any online game people congregate where the loot/rewards are the best (baal runs in D2, raiding in WoW, etc), in that regard this game isn't any different.

That sounded more negative than intended, the game can be a blast in a great team, or just exploring. There's hardly any missions that are bad, some are too difficult (imo) for their level, or some are too easy, but there's a fairly diverse set of areas if you're willing to do the footwork.

While the game is a level/gear focused game ala Diablo and it's ilk, the "loot" isn't handled in the same way. While sometimes actual gear drops 95% of the time you're finding synth items/boards that you need to use to build your own gear. So instead of that Ring of Jordan dropping, you'll find (not actual in-game items)the band, the stone, some doggy treats, and you give them to your Partner machine(PM) in your room (which you can decorate, and really decorate come the expansion), and it'll try to build it. You might fail, and you might succeed. You can customize your weapons/armor to a degree by changing it's elemental type, which is kind of nice. Your PM can gain levels and eventually be used as a teammate in missions if you choose.

Anyway, read a few posts up for descriptions of combat etc, and browse this thread for general tidbits of info about the game.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Also in 2 weeks, we're going to be getting a bad ass update where we get special levels on fire and according to the story we get overrun with the SEED enemy and the entire community has to kill enough enemies to meet a quota to clean the planet of the SEED. I don't think anyone can play Crimson Beasts during this and even if they could, this should be cool enough to drive them away.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, I guess you get stuff based on how many seed you kill?

I'm not entirely sure how that system will work, but hopefully it'll be good enough to have people focusing on it instead of CB. The fact that (afaik) it's on all the planets just makes it cooler.

...Actually I don't recall any fire stages in story mode on moatoob, only ice. Parum and Neudaiz both had fire and ice levels though. I'm assuming in awhile we can expect an ice event too.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Actually I just looked and confirmed. Unless people band together and kill enough enemies to free the planet, Crimson Beast IS locked off. Only the train, lab, and other relics will remain. Unfortunately, EP S2 will be locked off. I must stop playing Pearl and go hunt for my Har/Quick!

I'm not sure what stuff you get for killing guys but I do know some of the missions drop S rank boards so it's not too bad for all the complainers. It's also on all planets except the Guardian Colony missions.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    online needs more missions that use the goggles. If you put out the fires anything like the story mode, I assume we'll be getting the little photon guns. the colony could use a few more missions too, maybe some rescue ones like the story missions.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, we're supposed to be getting some guns. Some people said they kept them after it was all over because it was neat but then I think when they went to do story missions or anything involving the main counter, they took them away. I don't think you can deposit them either....

What I want is some more nifty tricks in missions. Like one expansion mission puts the light switch on the ceiling. That's cool and I want stuff like that.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Putting out fires is probably a reference to the Burning Rangers mission you could play in PSO.

I'm glad I got rid of my copy of PSU when it was worth more than $20. Close one.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Putting out fires is probably a reference to the Burning Rangers mission you could play in PSO.

I'm glad I got rid of my copy of PSU when it was worth more than $20. Close one.

No i'm pretty sure it's just the story missions all over again where you have to kill the seed spores when everything is on fire.

Anyway, afaik that's just a promo price, the 9.99, it'll go back up to 30.00 before long on the PS2 anyway.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    It should still play Burning Rangers during the missions though because SEGA would win some awesome points if they did that. It won't happen though.

JUST BURNING, JUST BURNING RANGERRRRRRRS!

Gilder on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What sorts of stuff have been added to the game since.. eh.. December-ish? I'm curious. I haven't played this game in a while.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Lots of S2 missions and normal missions, I don't remember if Moatoob was open then but it is now, some clothing, story missions, and lots of weapons. And next week is FireBreak which should kick all kinds of ass.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    A rank grinder boards with the patch next week yay!

Now I can blow hundreds of thousands of meseta when I break my swords on their second grind!

EDIT: To be honest I've barely played in the past few weeks. CoH/V, super paper mario, and just screwing around has kept my attention too much.

My wife is out of town, and I'm off work, the whole first weekend of the fire event though...soo....

FIREMAN ON

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wait, what the fuck, seriously? They are FINALLY realeasing A boards? Hilarious.

Also, I hopped back on like, a month ago, when the loli bot upgrade hit.

And GOOD GOD. I have the Meele one, and when she was low, she ALWAYS busted out the wand and started healing to full.

It made my heart sing with glee. Saved my ass on multiple occasions.

I can't imagine how hilariously broken the Healing Caster one is.

Transporter on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The truth is, it was a mistake that A boards hadn't been released yet. They were SUPPOSED to come out when we got ultimate PA's. That obviously didn't happen.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does... does PSU not work with Vista? I installed it, and when I click on Story Mode or Network Mode, nothing happens... the window disappears, but the game doesn't start up.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Does... does PSU not work with Vista? I installed it, and when I click on Story Mode or Network Mode, nothing happens... the window disappears, but the game doesn't start up.

Well I know it's not officially supported yet; but check this forum:
    http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewforum.php?f=13&sid=c4f8067082f3a7e9547fc11ede816df5

for threads related to it. I know there's people who do play on vista, so you can probably find help.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Well, 2 more days until Firebreak hits. I haven't been playing much since I was finishing up Super Paper Mario and doing schoolwork but now that SPM is nearly completed (just have to beat the last 50 Sammer Guys and buy some maps) and I'm on my last class for school that's pretty simple, I think it's time I sent everyone I still play with on PSU a message letting them know I'm definitely coming back to play.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    heh, i haven't played more than an hour in the past 3 weeks also because of SPM and some other RL things.

I beat SPM the other day, I still have the pits in flip/flop to do, but I'm not in a rush for those. I need to load up twilight princess again and play though it too.

This weekend will determine if I keep paying for PSU. My wife is out of town tomorrow to next wed, so I'll have a lot of time to play if I enjoy it. If I can't really get into it this weekend, after not really playing for 3ish weeks already, it might not be worth it to me to keep paying to not play. I might just wait till AoI comes out. But if I have a good time this weekend I'll probably be on a lot more.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, the expansion looks to be doing so much stuff that sounds awesome. I won't be surprised if the community makes a giant population leap when it hits. I think Firebreak will be pretty fun. It's a team thing though for the whole community to cleanse a planet so I'll probably be going in uni 2. Maybe I'll meet some cool new people to play with.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    Yeah, the expansion looks to be doing so much stuff that sounds awesome. I won't be surprised if the community makes a giant population leap when it hits. I think Firebreak will be pretty fun. It's a team thing though for the whole community to cleanse a planet so I'll probably be going in uni 2. Maybe I'll meet some cool new people to play with.

There's a thread at pso-world that has a translation of a developer interview:
    http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=142776&forum=20&111

one of the comments is the developers saying that they would like to combine the 360 and pc/ps2 servers if possible, after balancing the economies.

That'd help a lot IMO. Also, they need to cut down the universes. Even at launch, no more than 3 were ever populated. Just make like 6 universes instead of 15.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2007
    Yeah it would be really cool if they merged the servers. That would require effort though and Sega of America doesn't like to do anything involving effort. I will say though that I'm impressed they're still paying attention to the game at all. PSO was forgotten in like a month and they never even looked at the GCN or Xbox versions. So that's saying something at least. Maybe they will merge us. Seperating us at all was just super retarded. However since 360 players here can play with JP 360 players, does that mean when the expansion hits they'll be able to play with JP PC/PS2 users?

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    I'd like that. One of the cool things about FFXI is that 24/7 the servers were totally populated because it was always "prime time" somewhere the game was released. But then again, FFXI has a bunch of auto-translate features that PSU just doesn't have; on the other hand you don't need to communicate really to beat de ragen :P

The Dude With Herpes on