As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Phantasy Star Universe - Out now!

• Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I know this has probably been asked, but how do I get access to the other missions? As in, the ones down on the actual planet as opposed to the "Clear the Hallway!" and its variations thereof?
    Sort of the blind leading the blind here, but if you go to the spaceport (it's next to the linear line up on the 4th floor), you can travel to the other planet and get the nice outdoor missions.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    MJMJ Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    s3rial one wrote:
    Sorry for dropping, Voltage. Damned game crashed on me, so I took your advice and recreated a my character, but...

I didn't know you were going to recreate a character. I saw in my apartment that there is a common box for storage among characters. You might wanna store all your stuff in one and recreate in a new slot to keep most of it.

Money sure is hard to come by like ffxi, but the groups are more fun to join randomly.

MJ on
    mino_mirror_punch2_sig.gif
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Anyone know how well this game would play on low bandwidth. I'm curious if it'd be worth it to pick up a Guardian's License dispite being over a college campus network. If it's anything like PSO, I'm hoping it shouldn't be a problem since I've been able to play Episode 1&2 for the cube a while back with just a few lag spikes here and there

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yes...this game is so fun. I was playing a bit last night, but I had to watch my cousins, so I only got to level 4. However, the CASTS look freaking tight as hell in this game. I'm definately like a ninja samurai gun-slinging robo-assassin. OMG...so good....Cannot wait for math class to get done..must desteoy all SEED lifeforms.

My only sad point though, when I saw the weapons on the official sight, I thought the mechgun-esque weapon was like a full sized FAMAS assault rifle...I hope there is one. I wanted it so very badly.

Etch on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Anyone know how well this game would play on low bandwidth. I'm curious if it'd be worth it to pick up a Guardian's License dispite being over a college campus network. If it's anything like PSO, I'm hoping it shouldn't be a problem since I've been able to play Episode 1&2 for the cube a while back with just a few lag spikes here and there
    I'm playing over a university network, too, and I do get some choppiness from time to time, but it's perfectly playable.

That said, we're not exactly low-bandwidth, here. I've had downloads going over 1000k/s at times.

EDIT: Also, guys... voice settings? I can't hear 'em in character creation. Need a normal-sounding female voice. What should I use?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Any in the level 10+ range should try the mission Grove of the Fanatics, which comes after the Shikon Island mission on Neujakgdf. It's got a very cool environment, it's fairly difficult (with my new 1000 pp rod, I had to recharge twice in the middle) and you fight robots that explode when they die. The boss is also very cool, and actually the easiest one in my opinion. We got him down, and the only people who died were the two people under level 10. I also came out of it with a board for force armor that costs 12,000 in the shop :D. I won't even be able to use it for a few more levels.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Update to those having problems playing PSU with Xbox Live Silver

I talked to customer support for Xbox Live 3 times today with 3 different reps. They all ASSURED me I was good to go in terms of playing PSU. They said all I needed was the software and a Guardian's Liscense, NOT Xbox Live Gold.

They said they could do nothing more to help me and to contact Sega. Unfortunately, Sega doesn't even have a damn telephone contact number.

Already charged me the 9.99 and will not let me play, dissapointing.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Guh, wish I could play right now, but I'm stuck at work. I don't get off until 9:00pm CST. I will probably pop in for a few missions around that time.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just got this for 360 at lunch today. Heading home to play a bit. If anyone is on and can show me the ropes, it would be awesome.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • Options
    Black_HeartBlack_Heart Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just recently found this out.

When you display character names overhead. You will see sparkles/stars above character's heads. This indicates their luck status for the day.

Luck affects drop rates of items, so the higher your luck, the more good items will drop. The party leader is the one who sets the luck level for a misson.

Luck cycles every 24 hours reseting at Midnight and is on a pattern determined by your race/gender.

No sparkles next to your name = 0 Luck
    A few sparkles = 1 Luck
    A lot of sparkles = 2 Luck
    A shining yellow/orange sparkle = 3 Luck (the highest)

Its best to have someone with Lv3 luck be the party leader as more rare items will drop during the game.

This information thanks to psupedia

More information and a chart here.

Black_Heart on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006

When you display character names overhead. You will see sparkles/stars above character's heads. This indicates their luck status for the day.

Luck affects drop rates of items, so the higher your luck, the more good items will drop. The party leader is the one who sets the luck level for a misson.

Luck cycles every 24 hours reseting at Midnight and is on a pattern determined by your race/gender.

A few sparkles = 1 Luck

Its best to have someone with Lv3 luck be the party leader as more rare items will drop during the game.

That's cool. I was wondering what those sparkles were. Anyway, I got my force to level 9 today. I'll be playing later but after 2 failed attempts at the gargoyle boss and me being broke after buying a new wand, I decided to call it quits for a bit. I'd like to meet up with some more PA people though. Also, I got a keyboard so I can actually chat now.

Gilder on
  • Options
    fallaxdracofallaxdraco Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Will be picking up a ps2 keyboard posthaste and hope to find you guys on Universe 6 in a few hours.

fallaxdraco on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Anyone else with the PC version being unable to force the game to do anti-aliasing from the drivers? I turn it all the way up to 8x, it gets super slow, but there's no difference.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Raere wrote:
    Anyone else with the PC version being unable to force the game to do anti-aliasing from the drivers? I turn it all the way up to 8x, it gets super slow, but there's no difference.
    Yeah, along with yanking out widescreen support, that's something that Sega inexplicably removed. Why? I haven't a clue. It's Sega.

...I would kill a man to see PSU in the hands of a respectable publisher... like THQ or Ubi or someone like that.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    So, I'm on with my new character; level 6, now. Universe 6, just running missions. Anyone feel like teaming up?

s3rial one on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    s3rial one wrote:
    So, I'm on with my new character; level 6, now. Universe 6, just running missions. Anyone feel like teaming up?
    Sure. What's your name so I can join the mission. The same as your PA name?

Gilder on
  • Options
    RaereRaere Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I'll be on in the next few days; I'm getting the hang of the controls still. A PS2 controller hooked up through my Smartjoy adapter works much better than a keyboard. Graphics are very nice too, I'm just used to at least 2x AA in all of my games.

Raere on
    Raere.png
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I just go hooked up online, in-game name is Jin, level 2 Force.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006

A few sparkles = 1 Luck

Luck also affects your chance to successfully synthesize an item, and something else that I'm forgetting.

2 hours until my new armor might be synthesized. I payed 4000 in supplies for it, plus the random rare items I already had that it needed, so I will be extremely disappointed if it fails.

Any word on when Moatoob will be opened? :S

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    I am so on. Get on vent so I can yell at you all for stealing my precious loots. Game On 2 Channel!

JAEF on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Parum B mission about to start called PAF for all interested

EDIT: Uni 14

EDIT2: Forgot to rename it; it's called piL

piL on
  • Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Quick question:

When you choose your body size and type you have to toy around with a Box seperated by four quadrants. The thing is missleading as hell - Can someone please tell me where I should point to have something big or something smaller than usual? Or is that impossible to do? I've seen CASTs with taller body types than mine, I wonder how far I can push this.

I've checked the manual and it says nothing on the subject btw

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So, uh, does this have a demo or something for the PC version? I wanted to try the 360 version but there was the 'it's buggy as hell' issue, I never got connected, I'm kinda nervous to try this with that information and knowing how bad Sega tends to screw this sort of thing up :(

Ledneh on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    There is no demo. However, there are no CD keys tied to the game, so technically you could borrow the game from a friend and register a new account, and it'd only cost you $9.99.*

*This is borderline piracy, but it was mentioned earlier in the thread, so please don't ban me :( . Also, if you like the game, buy it. The more money Sega makes off this, the better content they add with patches/episodes.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    kriegskriegs Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    catalyst wrote:
    Update to those having problems playing PSU with Xbox Live Silver

I talked to customer support for Xbox Live 3 times today with 3 different reps. They all ASSURED me I was good to go in terms of playing PSU. They said all I needed was the software and a Guardian's Liscense, NOT Xbox Live Gold.

They said they could do nothing more to help me and to contact Sega. Unfortunately, Sega doesn't even have a damn telephone contact number.

Already charged me the 9.99 and will not let me play, dissapointing.

Here's a quote from a site mod at SEGA's official board:
    As I see it, there has definitely been a failure to communicate somewhere along the line. Was it Sega's fault? Microsoft's? We don't really know. What we do know is that somewhere in the process, it looks like you need Xbox Live Gold to log in.

This means you've got a couple options:

1: Upgrade to Xbox Gold. The obvious downside here is that it costs more.
    2: Wait it out. I'm quite positive Sega officials are well informed about the mix up, and are working to get things fixed right now. Either things will be reworded and a Gold Subscription will be required, or things will be fixed and users will be able to log in just fine with a Silver account.

Believe me when I say that Sega has not turned a blind eye to these problems. But, communication between large companies - especially in situations like this - and the fixes required can take a few days to work out. My personal suggestion is to save yourself the potential money required for a Gold account and see what response we get in the coming days. It will arrive, and I apologize for the delay, but please be patient.

Best wishes,

-- Ruby

For linkage:
    http://boards2.sega.com/psu_board/viewtopic.php?t=3338

I especially like this part: "Either things will be reworded and a Gold Subscription will be required, or things will be fixed and users will be able to log in just fine with a Silver account."

If they have to "reword" it after saying that you only need Silver for weeks now, I'm gonna be ROYALLY pissed off. I'll be dogging them till I get a complete refund on the subscription and game.

UNACCEPTABLE

kriegs on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    So uh, what's the main difference between the PS2 and PC versions? is it playable on a keyboard? How much does it cost aside from the monthly fee? I'm gonna get back into EVE Online, but this sounds pretty fun.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    What was the final word on the PC Version's copyright protection?

Did it have any or not?

I wonder if Sega is just selling it as a ploy to get the devotees in, and then hoping that they'll get a broader player spectrum from people sharing discs and disc images who have to pay the monthly fees anyway.

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Some things I found out today that I hadn't seen anywhere else. Right now, your level is capped at 30. Also, there aren't any photon arts available beyond the ones you can buy on Neudiaz, which I thought was disappointing. There's a new patch coming for the Japanese version in mid November that's adding 6 new missions, a new storyline quest (is there already one of these in the game?), new weapons, photon arts, clothes, etc... and supposedly, we'll be getting it about 3 months after they do. I'm level 17 now, and I've got the best weapon and armor sold in the shops... I could always keep doing missions and such, but it seems like I'm going to run out of things to do very quickly... :|

Also.. can you synthesize new clothes? I haven't seen any boards for them, but if they're out there I might start looking for them.

SilentCoconut on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2006
    HadjiQuest wrote:
    What was the final word on the PC Version's copyright protection?

Did it have any or not?

I wonder if Sega is just selling it as a ploy to get the devotees in, and then hoping that they'll get a broader player spectrum from people sharing discs and disc images who have to pay the monthly fees anyway.

Interesting. So theoretically, all I need to pay is the monthly fee, eh? :twisted:

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Don't steal this game, and stop talking about ways that you might be able to.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Heh. Thank god Thursday's payday. This game has a lot of promise. Sorry, EVE.

Seriously though. Should I go for the PC version over the PS2 one? Is it feasible over a keyboard instead of a gamepad? Is it playable in Windowed mode? Do tell!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Couple of things to mention:

On the PC version, you might experience horrible slowdown despite this game being desiged for PS2 and you setting the graphic options to minimum. All you have to do is set Frame Skip to 3 and your performance will take a massive improvement without any noticable loss of video quality. It was running like crap for me even on low settings, but with Frame Skip at 3 I can run it on max graphics with no slowdown. As for windowed mode, I use it because I like to have access to Vent/forums while playing and PSU crashes if you alt-tab. I don't normally play in Windowed mode but it really isn't that distracting, plus you get a performance boost running it this way.

Also if you plan on getting this for PC, you're basically going to need a game pad. The game just feels wrong with a mouse and keyboard. Ideally get an Xbox or PS2 to PC controller adapter, but even some logitech pad works great.

Finally, when putting items into your partner robot to synth, make sure you don't accidentally feed him them instead :P And yes you can be synthing multiple things at one, I haven't really looked into it so there may be some kind of penalty however. Speaking of, is there any way to see the item stats before building it? Or seeing how much of a given item you need to create the item without giving the plans to your partner robot?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Frame skipping...? That doesn't sound very good to me. Meh... Fine. I guess I'll just go for the PS2 version. I have a gamepad, but either way.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Frame skipping...? That doesn't sound very good to me. Meh... Fine. I guess I'll just go for the PS2 version. I have a gamepad, but either way.

It sounds terrible and I was leery to test it after it was recommended to me, but I honestly can't tell the difference outside of cinematics, and I don't think there aren't any of those in the online mode aside from the generic planet travel one.

EDIT: More importantly PC allows you to use Vent which compensates for everything.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited October 2006
    Yeah if you grab the PC version you can hang with us on vent which makes it a lot easier to get together/communicate during fights. The game runs fine for me without messing with any settings at all, windowed mode or not, full screen or not. And my PC isn't very new.

Fun times had by all tonight, ran a bunch of missions and gained a bunch of levels with a bunch of PA people. In the end, that's what life is all aboot.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    True, but can't I still use Vent while on the PS2 version? My PC and PS2're in the same room. >.>

What sorts of melee weapons can I use? Any tonfa-style or elbow blade type of weapons?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Heh. Thank god Thursday's payday. This game has a lot of promise. Sorry, EVE.

Seriously though. Should I go for the PC version over the PS2 one? Is it feasible over a keyboard instead of a gamepad? Is it playable in Windowed mode? Do tell!
    Well, considering you can use any number of DirectInput PC gamepads that are A) cheap and B) easy to find to play with a gamepad on the PC, it's kind of moot. The PC version is just better.

Yeah, it's playable in windowed mode (that's the only mode I play in), and it's not exactly the most demanding game, hardware-wise. It's finicky about sound settings, but that's (usually) trivial to fix.
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    What sorts of melee weapons can I use? Any tonfa-style or elbow blade type of weapons?
    From what I've seen so far, the melee weapons available (keeping in mind, I'm only level 10 or 11 right now) are:

Daggers (single or dual)
    Sabers (single or dual)
    Spears (two-handed)
    Claws (dual-wield)
    Longswords (two-handed)
    Axes (two-handed... I haven't actually seen one yet, but I know they're in the game)

Keep in mind there can be some pretty significant cosmetic variance within different classes of weapons. Some of the claw class weapons do look vaguely like tonfa. One in particular looks like a set of robotic gloves, with two photon emitters running the length of each forearm.

Also, you can dual-wield a one-handed weapon with a pistol (for easy ranged attacks... some mobs just go down easier with ranged attacks) or a staff class weapon (which allows you to use techs/magic).

Edit: almost forgot twin sabers (think Darth Maul) - they're another I haven't seen yet, but I know they're in.

Edit 2: Forget all that, just look here.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    Hmm. How well does the XBOX 360 Controller work with it on a PC? So far, I have yet to get the L and R triggers to work in any game. Not too sure how to set it up. XP detects it as an XBOX 360 controller, but... yeah. I have that aforemented problem with the two triggers.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    Hmm. How well does the XBOX 360 Controller work with it on a PC? So far, I have yet to get the L and R triggers to work in any game. Not too sure how to set it up. XP detects it as an XBOX 360 controller, but... yeah. I have that aforemented problem with the two triggers.
    I don't know the specifics, but the 360 controller seems to be especially popular on the PSO-World forums. Personally, I use a Nyko Airflow, and it's excellent; especially with the keyboard right here for chat shortcuts and the like.

The basic mode of setting up a DirectInput gamepad is to go into the options, load the default 2 configuration, and then manually assign the camera control to the right analog stick. It'll give you almost identical control to the console versions.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    s3rial one wrote:
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    I don't know the specifics, but the 360 controller seems to be especially popular on the PSO-World forums. Personally, I use a Nyko Airflow, and it's excellent; especially with the keyboard right here for chat shortcuts and the like.

Interesting, I should poke around there. If they're able to use the triggers or make do without them, I'll just use that. I have one. XD

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg