As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Is two rings a precursor to RRoD?

Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
edited October 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Wow, my 3rd H/A post in three days. I've just run into it all this week.

So I bought a refurbished XBox 360 off eBay Thursday. It's a 20gb Premium unit with a Falcon & HDMI. I have it set horizontally across an open shoe box so no vents get blocked, and I've probably played a total of 6 hours on and off since then.

Well, I was 40 minutes into my gaming session tonight, the fan started going fast and then the two red rings on the left lit up. Fuck you very much, Microsoft.

Is this a for sure precursor to RRoD? If so, do I send this back right away to the warranty folks whom the eBay store uses? I have a 60 day warranty with them.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
Idx86 on

• Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Two quadrants means it's overheating. Check to make sure the fans are actually running at full blast.

Not a for-sure precursor, but definitely a good chance. I'd make with that warranty if it does it again soon.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Two quadrants means it's overheating. Check to make sure the fans are actually running at full blast.

Not a for-sure precursor, but definitely a good chance. I'd make with that warranty if it does it again soon.

I also just grabbed a two year SquareTrade warranty for after the 60 day lapses. Anything I do to the internal fans if for some reason I think they're not rolling the way they should?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Yeah, RRoD is usually caused by the GPU getting so hot it basically unsolders itself, so overheating is a big, big bad. I'd consider seeking a refund instead of trying to invoke your warranty -- odds are this isn't a fluke, the unit was probably sold because it was having intermittent problems, and you'd be best off to wash your hands of it if possible.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    ilmmadilmmad Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Ironically, overheating will also heat the unit enough to temporarily resolder the GPU, a la the "Towel Trick."

ilmmad on
    Ilmmad.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    So I am also just now reading that elevating the power brick is supposed to help keep everything cool. It's on the carpet right now. Does elevating the brick also help?

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

• Options
    theclamtheclam Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    So I am also just now reading that elevating the power brick is supposed to help keep everything cool. It's on the carpet right now. Does elevating the brick also help?

It's not going to do anything if the system is what's overheating (which is most likely).

It sounds like you got a lemon.

theclam on
    rez_guy.png
  • Options
    PulvaanPulvaan Registered User regular
    edited October 2008
    don't they sell those extra fans you can plug into the back?

Do those work?

Pulvaan on
  • Options
    edited October 2008
    Pulvaan wrote: »
    don't they sell those extra fans you can plug into the back?

Do those work?

I've investigated those (Nyko Intercoolers), and it seems pretty unilaterally that they do more harm than good. My other thought was to point an oscillating fan at the console itself, but this would serve to just blow dust into the unit.

My immediate thoughts are if it pops up once more to contact the folks who own the 60 day warranty and have it repaired/replaced.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif