As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How to safely set up a ladder in a bathtub?

LukinLukin Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm painting my bathroom this weekend, and I have high ceilings. I need to set up a ladder in the bathtub in order to reach all the way up. Now the ladder has rubber feet and I don't think it'll slip; I'm more worried about damaging the tub. Any advice or tips on this?

cancer.jpg
Lukin on

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could you not lay a board over the bathtub to stand on? Much more even pressure on the tub instead of two concentrated points, and more area to stand on.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Unfortunately that's not possible the way the tub is designed. It's flat against one wall.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If you're using a step-ladder, I would put the side that I'm climbing up with it's feet outside the tub, and the other side inside the tub with a folded up towel under the feet so you don't scratch the tub.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    could you instead take a long ladder and angle it such that you can brace the bottom of the ladder at one wall, or the door, or whatever, and the top against the wall effectively bypassing the tub predicament?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    Unfortunately that's not possible the way the tub is designed. It's flat against one wall.

Maybe not a board across the top, but what about a board in the tub to protect the floor?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    folded up towel or bedsheet works wonders for all sorts of things where you dont want 2 surfaces to put too much pressure on each other.

like moving furniture or big electronics

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I'd think a towel would add to the slip factor

Improvolone on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    the wall of the tub should prevent it from going any further away from the wall it's against

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I had it in m head that it was an a-frame ladder.

Improvolone on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Forgoe the ladder for an extendable handle paint roller?
    like this?

see317 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I ended up putting the "rungs" part of the ladder in the tub, and the "thin" part of it outside the tub. I didn't damage the tub, which was my primary concern.

The long-handled roller is a great idea for the wall, but eventually you gotta get up there with a brush to handle the corners.

Lukin on
    cancer.jpg
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Lukin wrote: »
    I ended up putting the "rungs" part of the ladder in the tub, and the "thin" part of it outside the tub. I didn't damage the tub, which was my primary concern.

The long-handled roller is a great idea for the wall, but eventually you gotta get up there with a brush to handle the corners.

we used a sponge brush on a stick when we had a similar problem. Though we painted without the proper type of primer or somesuch and after a couple of showers the walls got drippy.

dispatch.o on