As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What to look for in camcorders.

taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I'm about to be looking to get a camcorder. Any good tips on what to look for?

taeric on

• Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would look for a "hot shoe". It means you can plug in an extra doo-dad (like a better external mic) and have the camcorder power it.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    One with an internal hard drive means that you never need to worry about cassettes and can store a lot of footage. You can get ones with 60GB of memory now. One that shoots HD video would be nice too.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What's your budget and what's the intended use for the camcorder? Recommendations for a budget of $300 to shoot family gatherings will be different than for $3k with intentions of doing short films.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    winter_combat_knightwinter_combat_knight Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    3 Chip CCD mate!

winter_combat_knight on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    What's your budget and what's the intended use for the camcorder? Recommendations for a budget of $300 to shoot family gatherings will be different than for $3k with intentions of doing short films.

Ah, I apologize for leaving that out of the original post.

Budget will be up to 500 with the idea of shooting family stuff. Budget could change, though I don't expect that right off. (That is, if there is a compelling reason to go higher, I'm not opposed to it.)

taeric on