As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Redhead Comonarchial Rad/Fuzzy 2016; Oh yeah and some black dude won [chat]

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
barack_obama.jpg
HURRAY!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on

• radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WHEE.

radroadkill on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this a [chat] or some kind of red-head fetish thread?

Oh, hey. That rhymes. :D

Passerbye on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HERSHEY CHOCOLATE BARS FOR THE WHOLE FAMILY

Sarksus on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is pretty exciting

deadonthestreet on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Is this the [chat]? Where's the [chat] in the title? Your Obama pic buys you nothing Fuzzy. Your [chat] is terrible.

Alecthar on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    HOW DO I PUT CHAT IN THE NAME ACK

• ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I love that Obama won(if he really did, I'm looking at you, 2000) because this time he found the loophole. That's satisfying.
    what the fuck do you mean with any of this

the comment about 2000 is laughably dumb, and what the hell do you mean by 'the loophole'

Do you really have to pick a fight with me? Do you really think I'm not on your side and just looking at it from the lenses of an expert on media instead of yours? I've never had a problem with you man (mind that I call The Cat "man" at every opportunity, I'm crazy and some of my oddness has to just be dealt with), and the whole statistics argument was bullshit because it was clearly a gesture of "hey, good job learning statistics, that shit is important!" was always wierd.

ViolentChemistry on
  • stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Edit post advanced

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    joshua1 wrote: »
    Identify the three main characteristics of the calcium signal that are thought to regulate cellular responses in pancreatic acinar cells.

Describe how the properties of calcium release from intracellular stores act to shape each of these characteristics

Well..... im boned. I have no idea how to answer that and its from last years exam for the exam in doing in 2hrs time. Bwargle.

2. (a) Explain Dworkin's view of civil disobedience, and why in his view, it must not be seen simply as an unfair act or as a criminal act that cannot be tolerated.(b) explain Dworkin's account of the models that represent the duty or attitudes of citizens toward a doubtful law, and his justification of civil disobedience based on these models or attitudes. In other words, explain his view of the important role civil disobedience may play in a legal system like that of the United States. (c) Compare and contrast the views of Rawls and Dworkin, that is, indicate the similarities and differences in their views.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • ResRes __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Curse you Sister Miriam!

*shakes fist*

Res on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ALockslyALocksly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    And with that I shall dissapear into the eather again.

Good luck and godspeed to all.

Except my new nemisis of course,

may he have only fair to middlin' luck and stub his toe.

ALocksly on
    Yes,... yes, I agree. It's totally unfair that sober you gets into trouble for things that drunk you did.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quid approves this chat's message.

Quid on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm pooped. Woo.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited November 2008
    stilist wrote: »
    Edit post advanced
    bless you stilist

• joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The bite of the black widow spider initially produces an increase in neuromuscular activity that leads to painful skeletal muscle
    spasms and rigidity. This phase of hyperexcitability is rapidly followed by progressive failure of neuromuscular transmission
    and paralysis. The venom induces a transient but dramatic increase in spontaneous quantal release of ACh, followed by a
    progressive decline and failure of both spontaneous and induced transmitter release and depletion of presynaptic vesicles.
    The toxic component of the venom of the female spider is a 130-kDa protein called ��-latrotoxin; it has no known enzymatic activity.
    When applied to planar lipid bilayers, purified latrotoxin forms an ion channel with a conductance in excess of 100 pS that is
    permeant to Na+, K+ and Ca2+ but not to anions. If ��-latrotoxin has a similar effect on the presynaptic membrane, the result will be
    membrane depolarization and Ca2+ influx; the depolarization alone could activate voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels, further adding
    to the influx of Ca2+. The net effect would be the triggering of synaptic vesicle fusion and transmitter release on a massive scale and
    eventually depletion of the neurotransmitter stores in the terminal. However, other mechanisms of action are also involved. It is
    necessary to explain how the activity of a-latrotoxin is confined so exquisitely to the presynaptic nerve terminal in vivo and how alatrotoxin
    has both Ca2+-dependent and Ca2+-independent effects.
    Two neuronal surface proteins that bind a-latrotoxin with nanomolar affinities have been found: neurexin-1a binds alatrotoxin
    in a Ca2+-dependent manner and latrophilin binds a-latrotoxin independently of Ca2+. Latrophilin is also called
    calcium-independent receptor for latrotoxin (CIRL). Neurexins comprise a family of neuron-specific membrane proteins likely to be
    involved in axonal guidance, synaptogenesis and cell recognition. Neurexin-1a binds a-latrotoxin directly, with a Kd of about 4 nM,
    which is dependent on Ca2+ concentrations in the range of 30 mM. Neurexin-1a also binds to synaptotagmin and syntaxin,
    presynaptic proteins involved in the fusion of synaptic vesicles with plasmalemma after priming, and this complex can be copurified
    on an a-latrotoxin affinity column. Although neurexin binding to synaptotagmin itself is independent of Ca2+, antibodies against
    syntaxin and the neurexin coprecipitate [125I]��-conotoxin-binding sites, which reflects the association of this whole presynaptic
    molecular complex with Ca2+ channels.
    Latrophilin is an N-glycosylated, single-polypeptide chain of 120 kDa that binds a-latrotoxin with a Kd of 0.5 to 0.7 nm and is
    differentially distributed among neuronal tissues. It is present in cerebral cortex at four times the amount found in cerebellum, and is
    highly enriched in synaptosomal membranes. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the Ca2+-independent receptor
    demonstrate that it is a member of the secretin receptor family and that it is coupled to a G protein. CIRL is copurified with syntaxin, a
    component of the synaptic vesicle fusion complex, on an ��-latrotoxin affinity column and forms stable complexes with syntaxin in
    vitro, thus demonstrating that CIRL is a component of the synaptic vesicle fusion process in neurosecretion.
    Knockout mice lacking the neurexin-1a gene demonstrate loss of Ca2+-dependent binding of ��-latrotoxin to brain membranes and
    major reductions in the [3H]glutamate release from synaptosomes that is triggered by a-latrotoxin in the presence of Ca2+. Cultured
    hippocampal neurons derived from these animals, however, still show ��-latrotoxin-activated neurotransmission in the absence of
    neurexin-1a. Thus, neurexin-1a, while not essential for ��-latrotoxin action, does contribute to the action when Ca2+ is present. It has
    been proposed that a-latrotoxin action is mediated by two independent pathways: the CIRL/latrophilin path, which is sufficient for
    neurotransmitter release, and the neurexin-1a path, which contributes to the Ca2+-dependent effects of ��-latrotoxin. The use of ��-
    latrotoxin will assist in elucidating the processes of synaptic vesicle fusion and regulation of secretion and neurotransmitter release.

D:D:D:D::(:(:(

joshua1 on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    I love that Obama won(if he really did, I'm looking at you, 2000) because this time he found the loophole. That's satisfying.

the comment about 2000 is laughably dumb, and what the hell do you mean by 'the loophole'

Do you really have to pick a fight with me? Do you really think I'm not on your side and just looking at it from the lenses of an expert on media instead of yours? I've never had a problem with you man (mind that I call The Cat "man" at every opportunity, I'm crazy and some of my oddness has to just be dealt with), and the whole statistics argument was bullshit because it was clearly a gesture of "hey, good job learning statistics, that shit is important!" was always wierd.
    No, I honestly don't understand what you mean. This is a difference of just under 4% in the popular vote, and over 100 Electoral Votes. How does that remind you of 2000 whatsoever? And what's with the bullshit about a 'loophole?'

I'm honestly confused. Was this just some strange sarcasm I didn't pick up on? Are you actually insinuating that Obama might not be president-elect, and also that he did this by exploiting some kind of loophole?

Oboro on
    words
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Saw the acceptance speech.

Echo on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ALocksly wrote: »
    And with that I shall dissapear into the eather again.

Good luck and godspeed to all.

Except my new nemisis of course,

may he have only fair to middlin' luck and stub his toe.

May you never see snow again! :P

Passerbye on
    edited November 2008
    Res wrote: »
    Curse you Sister Miriam!

*shakes fist*

Who the freakin' hell is Sister Miriam?

Passerbye on
    edited November 2008
    joshua1 wrote: »
    The bite of the black widow spider initially produces an increase in neuromuscular activity that leads to painful skeletal muscle
    spasms and rigidity. This phase of hyperexcitability is rapidly followed by progressive failure of neuromuscular transmission
    and paralysis. The venom induces a transient but dramatic increase in spontaneous quantal release of ACh, followed by a
    progressive decline and failure of both spontaneous and induced transmitter release and depletion of presynaptic vesicles.
    The toxic component of the venom of the female spider is a 130-kDa protein called 􀀁-latrotoxin; it has no known enzymatic activity.
    When applied to planar lipid bilayers, purified latrotoxin forms an ion channel with a conductance in excess of 100 pS that is
    permeant to Na+, K+ and Ca2+ but not to anions. If 􀀁-latrotoxin has a similar effect on the presynaptic membrane, the result will be
    membrane depolarization and Ca2+ influx; the depolarization alone could activate voltage-dependent Ca2+ channels, further adding
    to the influx of Ca2+. The net effect would be the triggering of synaptic vesicle fusion and transmitter release on a massive scale and
    eventually depletion of the neurotransmitter stores in the terminal. However, other mechanisms of action are also involved. It is
    necessary to explain how the activity of a-latrotoxin is confined so exquisitely to the presynaptic nerve terminal in vivo and how alatrotoxin
    has both Ca2+-dependent and Ca2+-independent effects.
    Two neuronal surface proteins that bind a-latrotoxin with nanomolar affinities have been found: neurexin-1a binds alatrotoxin
    in a Ca2+-dependent manner and latrophilin binds a-latrotoxin independently of Ca2+. Latrophilin is also called
    calcium-independent receptor for latrotoxin (CIRL). Neurexins comprise a family of neuron-specific membrane proteins likely to be
    involved in axonal guidance, synaptogenesis and cell recognition. Neurexin-1a binds a-latrotoxin directly, with a Kd of about 4 nM,
    which is dependent on Ca2+ concentrations in the range of 30 mM. Neurexin-1a also binds to synaptotagmin and syntaxin,
    presynaptic proteins involved in the fusion of synaptic vesicles with plasmalemma after priming, and this complex can be copurified
    on an a-latrotoxin affinity column. Although neurexin binding to synaptotagmin itself is independent of Ca2+, antibodies against
    syntaxin and the neurexin coprecipitate [125I]􀀂-conotoxin-binding sites, which reflects the association of this whole presynaptic
    molecular complex with Ca2+ channels.
    Latrophilin is an N-glycosylated, single-polypeptide chain of 120 kDa that binds a-latrotoxin with a Kd of 0.5 to 0.7 nm and is
    differentially distributed among neuronal tissues. It is present in cerebral cortex at four times the amount found in cerebellum, and is
    highly enriched in synaptosomal membranes. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the Ca2+-independent receptor
    demonstrate that it is a member of the secretin receptor family and that it is coupled to a G protein. CIRL is copurified with syntaxin, a
    component of the synaptic vesicle fusion complex, on an 􀀁-latrotoxin affinity column and forms stable complexes with syntaxin in
    vitro, thus demonstrating that CIRL is a component of the synaptic vesicle fusion process in neurosecretion.
    Knockout mice lacking the neurexin-1a gene demonstrate loss of Ca2+-dependent binding of 􀀁-latrotoxin to brain membranes and
    major reductions in the [3H]glutamate release from synaptosomes that is triggered by a-latrotoxin in the presence of Ca2+. Cultured
    hippocampal neurons derived from these animals, however, still show 􀀁-latrotoxin-activated neurotransmission in the absence of
    neurexin-1a. Thus, neurexin-1a, while not essential for 􀀁-latrotoxin action, does contribute to the action when Ca2+ is present. It has
    been proposed that a-latrotoxin action is mediated by two independent pathways: the CIRL/latrophilin path, which is sufficient for
    neurotransmitter release, and the neurexin-1a path, which contributes to the Ca2+-dependent effects of 􀀁-latrotoxin. The use of 􀀁-
    latrotoxin will assist in elucidating the processes of synaptic vesicle fusion and regulation of secretion and neurotransmitter release.

D:D:D:D::(:(:(

y-y-you win D:

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Obama found the loophole in the No Blacks Allowed rule by being born to an interracial couple, that sly bastard.

Sarksus on
    edited November 2008
    Joshua, there are some crazy disorders that mess with calcium ion exchange and don't present outwardly except for fucking with the pain signal propagations- imagine just randomly having your body simulate being on fire.

• radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    FUZZY

Quid says if we win in 2016 he wanst to be the First Princess.

radroadkill on
    edited November 2008
    I mean, to me the craziest thing is that we're calling it on some crazy media-projections. That shit is nuts.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2008
    FUZZY

Quid says if we win in 2016 he wanst to be the First Princess.
    so it shall be done

• stiliststilist Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Res wrote: »
    Curse you Sister Miriam!

*shakes fist*
    Why are you watching the Catholic channel?

EWTN?

stilist on
    I poop things on my site and twitter
  • joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I will hope to my various gods that a question on latrotoxin doesn't come up.

EDIT:

But i think im screwed for all this NMJ stuff...i only just figured out what EPP stands for....well, the words of it, not what it means. Thats still beyond me.

joshua1 on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Whoo! Quid for First Princess!

Quid on
    edited November 2008
    Joshua, there are some crazy disorders that mess with calcium ion exchange and don't present outwardly except for fucking with the pain signal propagations- imagine just randomly having your body simulate being on fire.

Spontaneous combustion is quite uncomfortable.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    Ok, Imma go have sex with Dyr now since I'm too excited to sleep.

Take care, [chat].

Passerbye on
    edited November 2008
    I mean, to me the craziest thing is that we're calling it on some crazy media-projections. That shit is nuts.

You mean it's crazy that we're projecting winners with 0% of precincts reporting? Are you insinuating that the mainstream media doesn't have a cage full of psychics locked in their respective basements?

Sarksus on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are you just not paying attention, or...?

deadonthestreet on
    edited November 2008
    Well, they didn't make projections on the really close states, which is good ... the Ohio one was a bit of a reach when they made it, though, for sure. The only other states which have large amounts of precincts unreported are those like California, Oregon, and Washington, where the blue coloring is a bit more stable than a 'crazy' projection. :)

Oboro on
    words
    edited November 2008

No, I honestly don't understand what you mean. This is a difference of just under 4% in the popular vote, and over 100 Electoral Votes. How does that remind you of 2000 whatsoever? And what's with the bullshit about a 'loophole?'

I'm honestly confused. Was this just some strange sarcasm I didn't pick up on? Are you actually insinuating that Obama might not be president-elect, and also that he did this by exploiting some kind of loophole?

2000 referred to Florida, which was utterly retarded but I see cropping up again. The loophole is in campaign-financing. Obama did this whole ad-blitz on donated funds. McCain spent his trust-fund, as is the republican tradition as republicans tend to have fucking bullshit trust-funds. This is an exercise in how to use the fact that news-media has become entertainment-television.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2008
    If ��-latrotoxin has a similar effect on the presynaptic membrane, the result will be
    eventually depletion of the neurotransmitter stores in the terminal.
    That is science long-hand for "This is going to really fucking hurt in a few minutes."

edited November 2008
    Sarksus wrote: »

You mean it's crazy that we're projecting winners with 0% of precincts reporting? Are you insinuating that the mainstream media doesn't have a cage full of psychics locked in their respective basements?

I am exactly directly criticizing media.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2008
    2000 referred to Florida, which was utterly retarded but I see cropping up again. The loophole is in campaign-financing. Obama did this whole ad-blitz on donated funds. McCain spent his trust-fund, as is the republican tradition as republicans tend to have fucking bullshit trust-funds. This is an exercise in how to use the fact that news-media has become entertainment-television.
    I'd call it all less of a loophole and more of a method, heh. 'Loophole' has a lot of negative connotations, which is what made the hair on my head stand up when you said that. :wink:

Oboro on
    words
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    a post I made on a right-leaning board I frequent:
    Subject: We live in the greatest God damn country in the world.

Message: Every 4 years we have the chance to change our government. And then again in another 4. No where else does a government change so often and in a conceded, non-violent manner.

The sun will rise tomorrow, and we'll keep slogging on. We're Americans, dammit! We can do anything that we set our minds to. And our voice as voters is not silenced just because we aren't electing anybody for another 2 years. Anything that gets broken, we can fix. It isn't always easy, but life rarely is.

I can't say that I agree with the man that's been elected, but you know what? Apparently most of America did. And I'll have my chance to change that in another 4 years.

God bless America, I love this country.

I got flamed :(

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited November 2008
    I'd call it all less of a loophole and more of a method, heh. 'Loophole' has a lot of negative connotations, which is what made the hair on my head stand up when you said that. :wink:

Oh it's absolutely negative. But the whole system is. That's what makes it wonderful. This is some Batman shit right here.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited November 2008
    I am so happy that despite being surrounded by racist Republicans where I work, my county overwhelmingly voted for Obama. Woo!

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.