Options

Gay Marriage For Some, Tiny American Flags For Others

ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod.Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
So Prop 8 just passed in California, amending our state constitution to say: "Hey, fuck gay people, seriously. Stupid gay people and their stupid gay marriage, hey, why don't you gay marry this <include picture of middle finger>" I may be paraphrasing.

So let's discuss gay marriage. Let's not be dicks about it. The last thread turned into a festering boil of stupid, and if that happens in this one I'm going to force every last one of you to gay-marry Thanatos.

edit: For added direction, let's focus on the legal status of gay marriage across the country. Where do you see this issue coming in the next few years? Something like 30 states have now implemented anti-gay marriage amendments in their constitutions. In virtually every state where it's been tried, it's succeeded, even in allegedly liberal bastions like California. What next?

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
ElJeffe on

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    What exactly are we discussing?

I will go ahead and take a side.

Gay marriage is just super.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    if that happens in this one I'm going to force every last one of you to gay-marry Thanatos.
    Wait, I thought you were trying to discourage us from acting like dicks?

Bama on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Liberals and conservatives alike are still very homophobic and it will be swell if that ever changes.

Zek on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    My sister's facebook status right now is

"<My sister> isn't getting married in California. :("

Fuck. You. Assholes.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gay marriage will be legal everywhere and there is no rational(that's the big word, I guess) argument against it. It sucks that it isn't now, but in the long run there is only one outcome:

http://www.positiveliberty.com/2008/11/prop-8-by-age.html

zeeny on
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Luckily all you have to do to amend the Constitution in California is sneeze in its general direction, so maybe next election we can pass the "Ban Regular Marriage" amendment.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While this has been a pretty terrible year for the non-hetero community and their friends, loved ones, and supporters, and the overall notion of civil rights in general... it still came out pretty close in California, especially considering how many statistically-homophobic groups were mobilized, and how much money was spent to mobilize certain portions of them. We're not there yet, but we're getting closer, and if we can keep pushing education in California, we'll get closer still. And now that the landmark presidency is secure, people can put more effort into this next task. My understanding is that the No on 8 group wasn't very well organized, and I suspect that had at least something to do with so many resources going towards Obama.

Also, every year, more assholes die.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

Gay marriage is just fabulous.

Fix'd.

What are the chances this will get overturned as being unconstitutional?

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I'm glad that nobody anywhere is discussing the gay-marriage ramifications of CT's Question 1. It means gay marriage there is already fading into blissful irrelevance.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Here in Sweden there's actually talk about removing the Christian church's power to marry, and instead let it be handled by the state. If people still want a ceremony to go with it, feel free to head over to yonder church.

And church representatives are actually the ones talking about this. I guess they see where the wind is blowing and realize that this is a better solution for them than being forced to allow gay marriages in churches.

Echo on
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    *Thinks for a moment*

Nope. Not ready for the outside world yet.

*drinks more tequila*

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So Prop 8 just passed in California, amending our state constitution to say: "Hey, fuck gay people, seriously. Stupid gay people and their stupid gay marriage, hey, why don't you gay marry this <include picture of middle finger>" I may be paraphrasing.

So let's discuss gay marriage. Let's not be dicks about it. The last thread turned into a festering boil of stupid, and if that happens in this one I'm going to force every last one of you to gay-marry Thanatos.

If it actually included the picture I'd probably have to vote for it, just for novelty value. Sorry gays.
    Zek wrote: »
    Liberals and conservatives alike are still very homophobic and it will be swell if that ever changes.

I think the problem is the position, among most conservatives and even far too many liberals, that being gay is a choice of some kind. It makes it easier to discriminate against somebody for something you perceive as begin their choice (the gay) rather than something they had no say in (zomg a Negro!).

At least for people who try not to be horrible. Horrible people are fine with both.

But I've seen far too many people, even somewhat socially liberal people, argue that gays still have "equal rights" because they have the right to marry any chick they want just like everybody else. /facepalm

Basically gay is the one group that it's still okay to make fun of and discriminate against, even in polite company. Sure, comedians still get away with telling some pretty horribly racist jokes...but they're comedians. When was the last time you heard somebody out in "the wild" tell a racist joke, particularly when surrounded by at least some people they don't know well? Unless you live in Alabama, it's probably been a while.

Now ask that about gays. For a lot of us, it's been much too recently.

Unfortunately I can't think of any good way to accelerate this change.
    Fix'd.

In Cali? Zero. The Constitution can't be unConstitutional. Federally? Probably pretty high, but how long you got?

mcdermott on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    Here in Sweden there's actually talk about removing the Christian church's power to marry, and instead let it be handled by the state. If people still want a ceremony to go with it, feel free to head over to yonder church.

And church representatives are actually the ones talking about this. I guess they see where the wind is blowing and realize that this is a better solution for them than being forced to allow gay marriages in churches.

Wait really? Swedish civil marriage is still entangled with religious ceremony?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Not actually a mod. Roaming the streets, waving his gun around.Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008

Fix'd.

It would have to be brought before SCOTUS, which means there would have to be a specific case. If a gay marriage case hasn't been brought before SCOTUS by now, I don't see any reason to believe it will be. The one thing I can possibly see is that if CA tries to annul all of the gay marriages that occurred prior to Prop 8, someone could try suing on ex post facto grounds.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

What happens to the female posters?

I think we'll see it work like it did in Massachusetts. The court say "Yeah, that's unconsitutional" the public get their panties in a twist, happy gay people get married, they cool down, and then it becomes a supported position. The problems with California are that it happened too close to the election, it takes a freaking majority to amend the constitution, and it's so big that every religious group got an "oh shit! This will change everything!" realization and threw texas money at it. Plus, as others pointed out, inner California's apparently just a tanner Kentucky.

I'm hoping Illinois' one of the next ones to go. Both for moral reasons and because, as a Unitarian Universalist, well, "ka ching!"

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008

Fix'd.

It will take a while for it to make it to the SCOTUS (if it even can) and if it does so before the court changes dramatically I'd expect them to just refuse to hear it

Medopine on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gay marriage is an interesting topic for me. On one hand, I think that gay couples should be given the same rights and tax benefits as heterosexual married couples...but as a married man, I sort of want the term "marriage" to apply to me and my female wife. Why? I couldn't tell you. Maybe it was years of ultra conservative indoctrination growing up. I guess I have no logical reason to feel that way, it's just how I feel. I am one of those "supports legally equivalent civil unions, does not support the social construct of marriage" people.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was wondering what happens to all the CA gay marriages. They stick around, right?

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Honestly, i think federal governments across the world need to pass legislation that reads something like this:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or mental or physical disability.

And then local regions can get back to amending their constitution to fuck over criminals harder and leave the gays alone. :P

Dman on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Gay marriage is an interesting topic for me. On one hand, I think that gay couples should be given the same rights and tax benefits as heterosexual married couples...but as a married man, I sort of want the term "marriage" to apply to me and my female wife. Why? I couldn't tell you. Maybe it was years of ultra conservative indoctrination growing up. I guess I have no logical reason to feel that way, it's just how I feel. I am one of those "supports legally equivalent civil unions, does not support the social construct of marriage" people.

All I am going to ask right now is you spend some more time thinking about that 'Why'.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I don't see how the word also applying to another couple has any effect on it still applying to yours.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    Basically gay is the one group that it's still okay to make fun of and discriminate against, even in polite company.

Eh, no, actually.

After gay there's crossdressers and transexuals and polyamores.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Wait really? Swedish civil marriage is still entangled with religious ceremony?

I'm not really sure about the details, but I think it's no more than priests being able to perform legally binding marriage ceremonies. So this suggestion would remove that ability and lust leave the actual ceremony.

Echo on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hey man, you aren't alone; "seperate but equal" almost got George Wallace elected president. :P

Bama on
  • Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Basically gay is the one group that it's still okay to make fun of and discriminate against, even in polite company.

Eh, no, actually.

Furries.
    (But, they deserve it)

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    Honestly, i think federal governments across the world need to pass legislation that reads something like this:

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age or mental or physical disability.

And then local regions can get back to amending their constitution to fuck over criminals harder and leave the gays alone. :P
    The UN passes tons of this non-binding feel-good bullshit.

The US is always a prominent signatory.

It's also typically the most flagrant of the first-world violators, with the worst and most frequent and longest-running and least easily-rationalized violations.

It's a fucking disgrace.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »

I don't see how the word also applying to another couple has any effect on it still applying to yours.

I already said I wasn't sure. Before we get off too far, no, none of you are going to convince me to change my mind on it, don't try. I was just stating my opinion as it was asked for.

Do I need to consider the why more? Yes, I do. Will considering the why more change my mind on the topic? It may, or may not, it's hard to say. I didn't vote on prop 8, so my opinion is mostly liquid to begin with.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I believe the proper mangled quote is: "Gay marriages for some, miniature American flags for all!"

Anyway, I really do want to do another gay marriage debate, but I can't. It's one of those many issues here in P-A where I start out saying, "look, I agree and vote with you guys, but the ones who disagree aren't nearly so stupid and irrational as you think" and by the end I'm being accused of claiming that gay men are all obsessive rapists or whatever. I don't have the stomach for it anymore because, like I said, I reluctantly agree that there is no goodness achieved in me wanting to (or voting to) stop the government from granting legal marriage status to two men or two women when that is what those men and women want.

Yar on
  • Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Eh, no, actually.

And furries. And atheists, sadly, in a good chunk of the mainstream.

edit: Damn you FF

EmperorSeth on
    You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

"No reason" isn't an argument. But personally I think it should only be civil unions and they should ignore the churches. If you get married it will just give you a civil union license.

Takes away the religious element.

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    Dman wrote: »

The UN passes tons of this non-binding feel-good bullshit.

The US is always a prominent signatory.

It's also typically the most flagrant of the first-world violators, with the worst and most frequent and longest-running and least easily-rationalized violations.

It's a fucking disgrace.
    quoting myself because IT'S A FUCKING DISGRACE, AMERICA

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008

Fix'd.

It would have to be brought before SCOTUS, which means there would have to be a specific case. If a gay marriage case hasn't been brought before SCOTUS by now, I don't see any reason to believe it will be. The one thing I can possibly see is that if CA tries to annul all of the gay marriages that occurred prior to Prop 8, someone could try suing on ex post facto grounds.

Well, standing in case such as this is easy to get. "Hey, I want to get gay married." "You can't. Prop 8, dude." "I'll sue."

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

That bolded there? This is a universally horrible foundation on which to base any law or policy. Like, just about ever.

Out of curiosity, what is your feeling on doing away with "marriage" as a legal term entirely, while still allowing churches to say it during ceremonies involving any two people they wish?

EDIT: And, in fact, there's no reason the priest or whoever couldn't still act as the notary for the signing of the contract on the day of the wedding.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So what is this I've heard about the California ban being challenged on the technicality that it shouldn't have been an amendment but a constitutional revision. Does that have any actual legs or are folks just grasping at straws?

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    and polyamores.

But only if they are girls. Then they are sluts.

But if it is a guy they become "Pimp!" or "The Man!"

JebusUD on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well, I meant in regards to laws.

Though that's mostly because people can hide being atheists or furries pretty easily.

I mean the latter is barely even known about yet outside of the internet.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    So what is this I've heard about the California ban being challenged on the technicality that it shouldn't have been an amendment but a constitutional revision. Does that have any actual legs or are folks just grasping at straws?
    Even if it had legs, it wouldn't matter, because the people in power wouldn't act on it. All of this shit, all across the country, is unconstitutional to begin with. You can make the challenges on various counts, even. And all that we do is pass more unconstitutional legislature and amendments, largely on the back of previous ones.

But it doesn't matter, because the courts are too conservative.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zeeny wrote: »
    Gay marriage will be legal everywhere and there is no rational(that's the big word, I guess) argument against it. It sucks that it isn't now, but in the long run there is only one outcome:

Hopefully this. Unfortunately age isn't the only determining factor in these sorts of things. This mindset will continue so long as people raise their kids to think this way. Education and experience tends to be a real bigotry killer, though. I can't remember who said it, but seeing the world and differing peoples and points of view really is murder on narrow-mindedness.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TheMarshal wrote: »
    zeeny wrote: »

Hopefully this. Unfortunately age isn't the only determining factor in these sorts of things. This mindset will continue so long as people raise their kids to think this way. Education and experience tends to be a real bigotry killer, though. I can't remember who said it, but seeing the world and differing peoples and points of view really is murder on narrow-mindedness.

I just want to highlight this.

At the yes on 8 protests I saw and that my friends in SoCal saw, these people had a lot of children with them.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well, I meant in regards to laws.

Though that's mostly because people can hide being atheists or furries pretty easily.

I mean the latter is barely even known about yet outside of the internet.

I consider atheism a choice. Then again, I suppose that makes religion a choice and opens up a huge can of discriminatory worms. But let's just leave that out of this thread, mmmmkay....

As for furries and...well, whatever else I was thinking of groups of significant size that are likely to be open about their membership to said groups. Also, oddly, furries actually aren't legally discriminated against (to my knowledge), despite being even more fun and acceptable to make fun of.

EDIT: Remember, my original quote was about groups that are okay to discriminate against despite not being voluntary...and in the case of gays it's because people still think it is.

mcdermott on