As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How can we help?

stavesacrestavesacre Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
I've been meaning to post this question for quite a while, but the election going to Obama has made it much more important to me.

One of the things that Obama talked about that really resonated with me was that it was not going to be just by virtue of him being elected that brings about a better Nation. It was something that everyone was going to have to shoulder, meaning (to me) being more responsible as a whole.

I want to know, now that the election is over, what can we do to help strengthen our communities and local area? I don't have alot of money to give, but I do have extra time on my hands. Should I volunteer my time? And if so where would I find that, and what would be the best places to spend that time?

I know this seems sort of like something that belongs in H&A, but I'm curious to see what the rest of you would be willing to do, and how to do it, in order to make a difference. I know there were quite a few people who volunteered for the campaign and canvassing, are you going to continue? Where do you think you will invest your energy?

If this becomes somewhat interesting I'll put up suggested links and such in the OP.

http://www.volunteermatch.org

Going to re-write this OP into something a bit more like what Nerissa suggests below, I think its a great idea.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
stavesacre on

• Options
    NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Just a few off the top of my head.

Schools -- Many schools ask for parents to become involved as a sort of teacher's helper. Sadly, I don't know how many will accept volunteers who are not related to one of the kids in the class, or at least in the school, out of fear of pedophiles, etc.

Big Brothers / Big Sisters -- mentor a kid who needs it

Volunteer at a homeless shelter or a shelter for battered women (not sure how many male volunteers women's shelters accept, but there must be something you can do that doesn't involve direct contact with women who are in a fragile emotional state)

Edit: Also, I suggest making it a challenge. Let's see how many folks we can get to commit to making a difference while the Hopium is still strong.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Two immediate things come to mind.

1. Volunteer charity work, particularly relating to education and disaster relief.
    2. Energy conservation.

Hopefully an Obama administration will provide incentive (economic or emotional) for both of the above. I believe his platform espouses college tuition benefits for service.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    I've been thinking about this too. I figure one weekend out of month wouldn't be too hard to pull off. I'm not entirely sure about Big Brothers/Sisters though. I wonder if there are any alternative programs in my area.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    We should work out some sort of community based pay it forward.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You guys can pay my tuition forward.... to me. :winky:

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    In seriousness, there are always volunteer programs at hospitals, shelters, and the like.

• Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Community Service is the biggest thing he was talking about. Pick up your local paper and find an event, there usually is something that is going on. While you're there talk to the organizers and they'll probably get you connected so you can be more and more involved.

Doxa on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    We should work out some sort of community based pay it forward.

Isn't that a part of the way Habitat for Humanity works? Like, if they build you a house, you commit to X hours of work on someone else's house?

Also, that link that Dyna provided needs to be in the OP. I know that I'm certainly going to be exploring it later when I have more time.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would say one of the things that takes the least effort for the most benefit you can do is energy conservation. Turn down the heating and hot water temperature in your house (I actually requested my landlord do this and he was very accommodating). Turn off lights/computers/TV and so on when you aren't home or aren't in that room.
    I pay $45/month for electricity and I'm going to try and lower that even more if I can. The savings are real.

To actually help the economy....well if you can work harder and earn more money and then spend that money locally you will be helping the economy just as much as by volunteering I would think.

Dman on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Should Obama get his "100 Community Service Hours for Tuition" deal passed, we'll see a huge boom in community service with people my age.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Should Obama get his "100 Community Service Hours for Tuition" deal passed, we'll see a huge boom in community service with people my age.
    I would love that.

• Options
    clsCorwinclsCorwin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm not sure where I'd be able to fit it in my schedule, but I'd be down.

clsCorwin on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Adult literacy programs

If you're in a university town, I suspect you can find a program somewhere that reads textbooks for blind students (either for recording or as a personal assistant).

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    clsCorwin wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I'd be able to fit it in my schedule, but I'd be down.

It's $40 an hour. I would make room.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would love that.

3rd'd. Seriously what a fantastic idea!

urahonky on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

man alive, that sounds like prudent plan.

Wow.

And this is on top of the $4000 tax credit for tuition?

Tam on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this too. I figure one weekend out of month wouldn't be too hard to pull off. I'm not entirely sure about Big Brothers/Sisters though. I wonder if there are any alternative programs in my area.

You can buy a van and wait outside elementary schools and make your own after school program.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Tam wrote: »

Wow.

That is the $4000 tax credit plan. Gotta earn that tuition.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I plan to stay politically active locally. I was pretty awestruck by the GOTV campaign and its success, so I'd like to work on that on a more regular basis, and expand it into voter education so that people know the rules and their rights when they go to the polls. Additionally, I'd like to get involved in the push to overturn the homophobic marriage amendment here in Florida (and the pro-gay rights movement in general). Finally, I want to get involved in the Democratic party's efforts to unseat Mel Martinez here in Florida. It seems early to start that, but honestly, he's got a lot going in his favor and we'll need to do a lot of groundwork to get him out of office.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Wow.

oooh I see

sounds good still

Tam on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    <-Not an American. But in all seriousness, given the current economic situation, Food Banks and homeless shelters are going to be looking for more donations and probably volunteers from now on.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    OK, I think I'm going to go with at least one of these:

An adult literacy program

A program that works to help homeless families get back on their feet, via providing things like day care (including after-school programs and summer camp) in addition to housing, and amazingly does NOT seem to be rooted in proselytizing a particular religion in the process.

I'll have to take inventory of my time commitment and see if I can manage both, because I feel strongly about both goals.

Nerissa on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Wow.

oooh I see

sounds good still

Absolutely. It is the perfect way to help the middle class move up without leaving the poor behind. I understand the push for a lot of Obama's programs, but i really hope the tuition one is put up sooner rather than later.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DoxaDoxa Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yeah, I would love to take advantage of that tuition plan.

I'm working a lot this holiday season, but afterwards I plan to get to get more involved with my community

Doxa on