As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Resistance 2: Rise of Wang - Wherein Mouths Are Open

• Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Malechai wrote: »
    Double posting for great awsome. http://gamebattles.com/resistance2/ I'm not that great at multiplayer but I would be happy winning 9 grand for playing it. Aperantly they are only doing 4 player teams.

I was thinking of posting this! I wasn't sure if we have enough interest though. I'm really interested in starting this up, if anyone else can commit to it with me.

You don't have to be all-star to play in an amateur league, so don't let that discourage anyone. Often times you'll lose a lot, but get much better in the process, to the point where you can hang with everyone in clan matches.

So is anyone else interested?

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I have to admit, as soon as I became self sufficient as a spec-ops, I became a total asshole as well.

Fuck soldiers who won't stand still, fuck medics who refuse to heal, I'm just going to stand miles away, snipe, and chuck my ammo boxes off a cliff rather than give them to you wastes of oxygen.

If you're willing to resist the temptation to strafe as a soldier, or dps with chloroform and grenades as a medic, you'll see more ammo and grenade boxes than you can cope with, but cross me... and you'll be crawling on the floor looking for shell casings, while chimera punch you to death.

I AM SPEC-OPS, HEAR ME ROAR!

Ironically, I'm a douchebag as a medic too, I managed 45k xp and 150 kills on axbridge just now, I'm not sure I healed anyone =/

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man how do you get that kind of exp without healing anyone. I love it when I have a team thats operating in clusters and I can get 500 xp off a single cure and fill my chloroform guage again. Honestly I use it more for crowd controll. Cause when you have a soldier spec ops team working well together the only thing that can realy stop you is melee attacks.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Double posting for great awsome. http://gamebattles.com/resistance2/ I'm not that great at multiplayer but I would be happy winning 9 grand for playing it. Aperantly they are only doing 4 player teams.

I was thinking of posting this! I wasn't sure if we have enough interest though. I'm really interested in starting this up, if anyone else can commit to it with me.

You don't have to be all-star to play in an amateur league, so don't let that discourage anyone. Often times you'll lose a lot, but get much better in the process, to the point where you can hang with everyone in clan matches.

I wouldn't mind actually. I'm not super awesome or anything, but I'm not terrible either, so why not?

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Etiowsa wrote: »

I wouldn't mind actually. I'm not super awesome or anything, but I'm not terrible either, so why not?

Yeah I tend to be more of a close quarters fighter prefering the carbine and rosmore. Typicaly get torn apart by fareye weilding dudes.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Man how do you get that kind of exp without healing anyone. I love it when I have a team thats operating in clusters and I can get 500 xp off a single cure and fill my chloroform guage again. Honestly I use it more for crowd controll. Cause when you have a soldier spec ops team working well together the only thing that can realy stop you is melee attacks.

I think I must have healed people, but all I remember doing is chloroforming and chucking hedgehog and airfuel grenades around. Axbridge is just designed for AOE damage, massive clusters of grims round every corner =D

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    So far it's just me and Etiowsa up for starting a Game Battles team, anyone else?

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    So far it's just me and Etiowsa up for starting a Game Battles team, anyone else?

Well my work schedule kinda sucks, realy the only days I'm free are wend-friday. But yeah I'd be down for trying.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Just completed this. I have a few nit picks. But overall, really enjoyed the campaign.

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Loved the ending cutscene. Was genuinely shocked. One thing i didn't understand about the whole end scenario. Why didn't Capelli just leave Hale to die. I thought the plan was, once Hale had done his job, hes as good as dead. Did Capelli need Hale to pilot the craft perhaps?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Haikira wrote: »
    Just completed this. I have a few nit picks. But overall, really enjoyed the campaign.

(Endgame Spoilers)
    Loved the ending cutscene. Was genuinely shocked. One thing i didn't understand about the whole end scenario. Why didn't Capelli just leave Hale to die. I thought the plan was, once Hale had done his job, hes as good as dead. Did Capelli need Hale to pilot the craft perhaps?
    I think he was hoping that there would still be some way to stop him from converting.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    king awesomeking awesome Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey all, I just got this through gamefly and I've been *THOROUGHLY* enjoying both types of multiplayer. I'd really like to play a lot more of it and with some friendly PA people :)

PSN Tag: K1ng_Awesome

And yes, I have a mic :)

I'm down for some coop or competative. I'll be on sporadically during the holiday weeks, but after that I really want to plow through some mulitplayer goodness.

EDIT:

Also, in competitive I've just been using the carbine since it seemed like the easiest entry level gun for someone familiar with shooters. I've been doing fine with it but want to try to start trying out the other weapons. But everything else seems really... weak? compared to the carbine. I tried the bullseye for example, couldn't kill people as fast as I could with a carbine, and I could never seem to get the alternate fire thing to hit people. The marksman seemed good for me, someone who uses the carbine in CoD4 with much success, and it was def pretty powerful, and headshots were awesome with it, but as soon as anyone saw me and wasn't far away, they'd rush at me and I couldn't hit them with it for some reason. Any suggestions on other guns and how to properly use them?

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    As for guns depends on the game what I usualy take with me. TDM usualy Carbine. Core controll either carbine rossmore or wraith if I'm doing defence. Skirmish I usualy take wraith but while that gun does chew up opponents fast the spin up and reload times can be killer, also for some reason in competitive mode you cant shoot with the sheild up.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    LlyranorLlyranor Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    As someone who has no headset, and no real friends on PSN (lol) - though one of my co-op buddies may jump into PS3land soon - is this game worth 40 bucks for the co-op ALONE? I really enjoyed the beta, but the lack of a significant friendslist/headset, as well as worries about the challenge with no difficulty levels and these talks about grinding and what seems like a fairly small number of co-op maps, make me hold back a bit.

Llyranor on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Realy the majority of the grinding happens on Orrick cause of the high rate of greytech acumulation. The Co-Op can get tiresome sometimes, but thats why there is competitive play. Though it does get frustrating getting oneshotted by level 15 guys running around with the larrk. The single player is good too.

In short for co-op alone in my opinion no the games not worth it. As a whole package, yeah it's almost orange box level of value.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Weapon question. Is the bullseye a good weapon to use? I seem to get killed by it alot but whenever I try to use it I get alot less kills than using the carbine or wraith, and I can never seem to get the alternate fire to land.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
    Listen to our podcast, read our articles, tell us how much you hate it and how to make it better ;)
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Hey I just got this today too, and am a total noob. Do you guys use headsets?

PSN: TheLawinator

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I do... but found that most people's headsets sound awful and I can't understand them anyway. Once in a while in Co-Op it's been useful and I remember only one time in competitive where my squad was talking and so was I and we were actually working together.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Weapon question. Is the bullseye a good weapon to use? I seem to get killed by it alot but whenever I try to use it I get alot less kills than using the carbine or wraith, and I can never seem to get the alternate fire to land.

The bullseye's effective range without the tag is a bit smaller than the carbine's. However, carbine vs. bullseye the bullseye almost always wins, in my experience. If you an get good at tagging the bullseye is awesome, but the carbine is better because of those cheap ass grenades. In fact, the carbine is pretty much the best weapon in the game cuz of those things.

Etiowsa on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Okay, Twin Falls: Idaho is really pissing me off. How in hell am I supposed to deal with these running zombie bastards. They surround me within seconds and I'm dead.

Edit: Got through, but damn they're annoying. I ended up backpedaling through most of previous areas in order to kill 'em.

Also, goddamn this game is epic. I'm liking it mostly more than the first one's single player campaign. That's mostly because it's more varied and the enemies just get really cool. I do wish, though, that they had kept the narrative more consistent with the first game. It'd really help to have those nice intros with the cool british voice telling you what the fuck's going on, both with you and with the rest of the war. That would have been nice.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited December 2008
    I'd like to join the clan, please.

Bogey - Bogestrom

Thanks.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah I definitely like the narative better in the first one, but man everything else just feels better in this one. The game is just more fun in my opinion. the coop is epic, and the single player campaign is really damn good and the multiplayer is good fun. I definitely see Killzone being the better game, but damn this is much better than a lot of people give it credit for.

DarkSymphony on
  • Options
    Radikal_DreamerRadikal_Dreamer Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    yeah I definitely like the narative better in the first one, but man everything else just feels better in this one. The game is just more fun in my opinion. the coop is epic, and the single player campaign is really damn good and the multiplayer is good fun. I definitely see Killzone being the better game, but damn this is much better than a lot of people give it credit for.

Yeah, it is pretty freaking awesome. I'm fighting the Leviathan in Chicago now, and it's just amazing.

Even with that, though, I probably wouldn't have this game right now if it weren't a christmas gift if only for the fact that there's no co op in the main campaign. That still pisses me off beyond belief, and I have some friends, too, that would own the game right now if it had 2 player main campaign co op.

Radikal_Dreamer on
    theincidentsig.jpg
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Yeah, I didn't realize the coop wasn't actually story coop until after I bought it. I was so pissed, but couldn't really return it. Despite liking the game quite a bit, I wouldn't have ever bought it knowing there was no real coop.

And don't give me shit about there being coop. Coop mission don't count, I want coop story, like the first one.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    My friends won't buy it for this very reason. They want co-op campaign, not some special co-op mode.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Ok, Got this game during Christmas, and I think I sent an request to join the clan, if I didn't PSN's Elliotw2
    Hope to frag all of you soon with my mighty Bellock

Terrible TOTP

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • Options
    gvandalegvandale Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    i just played my first few rounds of resistance 2 tonight. I did good, came in first for 3 of 5 games. pretty cool game.

gvandale on
    Current Game(s) List: Disgaea 4 (PS3) & Dead Island (XBox 360)
    PSN Id: gvandale
    Xbox Live: Darth Vandale
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Bogey wrote: »

Bogey - Bogestrom

Thanks.

Send an aplication to our clan and I'll happily add you. Eli your aplication has been accepted.

Man I love the co-op but the more I play competitive the more I hate the fareye. At least I can be a bastard with the auger to them.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    I started out playing a lot of competitive, but the more I play cooperative I can't stop, it's really addictive.

king awesome on
    Bigsushi.fm
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Personally, I hate the coop mode, it's too slow and it manages to bore me, despite what I thought

edit: Fuck the Marksman, it's primary is too strong, and the secondary is too strong and abused as well

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    SisterRaySisterRay Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    Does anyone have any decent pointers for someone just starting out in multiplayer? Preferred loadouts etc?

I've played a decent amount of multiplayer Halo 3 but beyond that I'd have to go back to Duke Nukem 3D for my exposure to online FPS titles. I haven't spent more than 30 minutes with the campaign in R2. Should I be focusing on the campaign first? Are there any good guides available?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. So far I'm really enjoying the pop-in, pop-out competitive matches.

SisterRay on
    360: SEN0R MachoSolo
    PSN: PalaceBrother
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    Get a Bullseye, and use the aiming

elliotw2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Bogey - Bogestrom

Thanks.
    Send an aplication to our clan and I'll happily add you. Eli your aplication has been accepted.

Man I love the co-op but the more I play competitive the more I hate the fareye. At least I can be a bastard with the auger to them.
    Well, it's been about a week and I haven't heard anything back.

Do any of you play this anymore?

Bogey on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited January 2009

Bogey - Bogestrom

Thanks.

Well, it's been about a week and I haven't heard anything back.

Do any of you play this anymore?
    It was a pretty game-heavy winter, to be fair. Also personal stuff. I'll see about adding you tonight.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited January 2009
    No prob, I was just wondering if most of you guys had moved on to some other game already.

Or is that more of a 360 thing?

Bogey on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    The local second hand shop has this going for £29, worth it? Resistance was kind of fun, although I reiterate my previous numerous comments about how horrible console fps controls are.

*mumble mumble PS3 supports mouse and keyboard but almost every fps doesn't support them mumble mumble*

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    No prob, I was just wondering if most of you guys had moved on to some other game already.

ICWUTUDIDTHER

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    GrimReaper wrote: »
    The local second hand shop has this going for £29, worth it? Resistance was kind of fun, although I reiterate my previous numerous comments about how horrible console fps controls are.

*mumble mumble PS3 supports mouse and keyboard but almost every fps doesn't support them mumble mumble*

I think it's really well done, though the multiplayer component is much stronger than the single player campaign. So, it depends on how much you want to play with those wiley mushrooms online.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    edited January 2009

Well I've been kinda absorbed by persona4 as of late but I'll probly be back on soon enough.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    I'll will get back to this, I want that platinum trophy. I've just been trying to catch up on other games. (Just beat Dead Space, and I'm now starting Fallout 3)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    Ain SophAin Soph Registered User regular
    edited January 2009
    So I've been playing this on and off since release on competitive mode primarily. Is it just me, or is the fareye far and away the best weapon in the game? I've been using it almost exclusively for the past month now and I've seen my k/d ratio skyrocket. Also, has anyone found out how awesome the magnum is? When i'm hunting around for a better secondary weapon, I'll keep the magnum unless I run across a marksman, splicer, or bullseye seeing as they're the only other weapons that can kill faster. And the carbine? Worst. Weapon. Ever.

Ain Soph on
    :whistle: