As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Left 4 Dead : The Tank, The Witch and Survivors in the Wardrobe : Demo Out Now!!

• jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rust wrote: »
    Merry Christmas, this thing takes up 8 gigs of space? Ooh, I'm a-thinkin' my poor laptop won't handle the strain.

I'm still a little puzzled by how a game so seemingly limited can cost so much. I mean, TF2 was a whopping twenty dollars and it looks practically bottomless compared to this game.

The idea behind this game is to combine the replayability of the multiplayer experience, with the storyline and gameplay of a traditional single player shooter. This title has a lot of AI work in it to achieve that end, and based on the demo, it performs spectacularly. Add to that the "production values" of the voice work, level design, animation, etc and you have a full price game.

That said, individual opinions will vary. Some people will not like this game. Some people don't like TF2. It happens. At least there's a demo so you can make up your mind.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User
    edited November 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Rust wrote: »
    Merry Christmas, this thing takes up 8 gigs of space? Ooh, I'm a-thinkin' my poor laptop won't handle the strain.

I'm still a little puzzled by how a game so seemingly limited can cost so much. I mean, TF2 was a whopping twenty dollars and it looks practically bottomless compared to this game.

The idea behind this game is to combine the replayability of the multiplayer experience, with the storyline and gameplay of a traditional single player shooter. This title has a lot of AI work in it to achieve that end, and based on the demo, it performs spectacularly. Add to that the "production values" of the voice work, level design, animation, etc and you have a full price game.

That said, individual opinions will vary. Some people will not like this game. Some people don't like TF2. It happens. At least there's a demo so you can make up your mind.

Said people need to be hunted down and beat'in to death with rotten fish.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the kind of thing that happens daily in this game. It's just that awesome.
    http://www.justin.tv/clip/d3e67db6e59

If that's the kind of thing that happens "daily" I will regret owning this game. If I wanted to hear the squeals of prepubescent boys being horribly violated, I'd hang out at a church.

I've put in half a day of playtime on this, and even with some of that spent in public games, I've yet to stumble across girlish squealing. One or two asshats I wanted to smack, but that's about par for dealing with the public at large.

Time spent with primarily PA group players, however, was top notch.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seeing the demo on steam but everytime I click install the page refreshes but no demo in my games list, am I missing something? :/

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Seeing the demo on steam but everytime I click install the page refreshes but no demo in my games list, am I missing something? :/

Sheer volume of people lining up to download it is breaking the Internet.

And it figures, the day I decide not to go home for lunch this drops. :P

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • RustRust __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008

It's possible that Steam has exploded.

Rust on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Think it's like this for everyone at the moment

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

It's been like that since last night. I think that's just for the preorder demo, I don't know if the public one has dropped yet.

elevature on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The only reason I can imagine someone not liking this game is if they flat-out don't like first person shooters, or if they don't like intense/challenging games at all.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited November 2008

Bah, damnit I was looking forward to a pleasant evening of slaughtering legions of undead monsters.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • mugginnsmugginns Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yup you missed the pre-order, now you get to sit in line with the plebs.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elevature wrote: »

It's been like that since last night. I think that's just for the preorder demo, I don't know if the public one has dropped yet.

Hasn't dropped yet.

Left 4 Dead Demo Available on Steam
    163 minutes overdue

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited November 2008
    The only reason I can imagine someone not liking this game is if they flat-out don't like first person shooters, or if they don't like intense/challenging games at all.

A lot of people don't like team-based or co-op games because of the lack of individual competition. Many folks are more keen on individual strategy like deathmatch can bring.
    They hate games where "olol p0wned j00" and corpse humping is not possible.

jonxp on
    edited November 2008

A lot of people don't like team-based or co-op games because of the lack of individual competition. Many folks are more keen on individual strategy like deathmatch can bring.

Good riddance I say

mere_immortal on
  • aaronsedgeaaronsedge __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008
    My download speed is way too slow. Been downloading for almost 2 hours and I'm just now at 75%.

How long is the demo? My brother said he just beat it in about 10 minutes. Reading all these post gave me the impression that the replay value of the demo is very high. Are there different ways to get from point A to point B or is replay value all just based on the random spawning zombies?

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Munch wrote: »
    Only if there are some tig ol' bitties on the cover know'm sayin'?
  • LamoidLamoid Registered User
    edited November 2008

This takes on a whole new meaning when zombies are involved.

Lamoid on
    Laymoid.gif
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the kind of thing that happens daily in this game. It's just that awesome.

If that's the kind of thing that happens "daily" I will regret owning this game. If I wanted to hear the squeals of prepubescent boys being horribly violated, I'd hang out at a church.

Jesus christ that guy panicked, is he fucking crying at the end?

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited November 2008
    aaronsedge wrote: »
    My download speed is way too slow. Been downloading for almost 2 hours and I'm just now at 75%.

How long is the demo? My brother said he just beat it in about 10 minutes. Reading all these post gave me the impression that the replay value of the demo is very high. Are there different ways to get from point A to point B or is replay value all just based on the random spawning zombies?

Yes.

jonxp on
  • GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yes.

i nominate Jon for worst reply ever.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Good riddance I say

A guy at work here thinks games like L4D are nerdy because of zombies, and went to pick up call of duty 5 instead haha.

Dissociater on
    edited November 2008

Yes.

Yes to both?

Oh, and I mean the 360 version. The unmodable and untwinkable version.

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • minigunwielderminigunwielder __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2008
    Goddamnit, when the fuck will they release the demo?

minigunwielder on
    edited November 2008

Yes.

Yes to both?

Yes.

jonxp on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes.

Seconded into infinity.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Uber AbgestopptUber Abgestoppt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I hope I can download the demo soon. I want to fuck some zombies up!

Uber Abgestoppt on
    demoman.png
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    When does the public demo go on? I want to join you homps and enhance the zombie killing mood with appropriate ambient music such as Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" and Disturbed's "Down with the sickness" all the while making \m/ signs every 5 seconds to indicate that I am indeed rocking out to the said tunes

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Weird. I think these people are kinda assholes even if they don't say things like "pwn" or hump my corpse. Or rather, they're not assholes, they're just missing out because they're not willing to try a game where reliance on other players is important.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Place your bets guys:

a.So much demand they anticipate server crash and are getting new boxes/lines?

b.fucking with us?

c.security on the page is fucked all to hell and valve is slowly being DDOS'd by our refreshing?

d. A lot of these guys that are on the fence next time will preorder thanks to having to wait longer this time.

Roland_tHTG on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow, you can't even see your feet on the Xbox 360 version. And about the only thing that looks better than on my jank PC are shadows.

Hoz on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    More people need to get online so I can play.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DomhnallDomhnall Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    marty wrote: »
    When does the public demo go on? I want to join you homps and enhance the zombie killing mood with appropriate ambient music such as Linkin Park's "One Step Closer" and Disturbed's "Down with the sickness" all the while making \m/ signs every 5 seconds to indicate that I am indeed rocking out to the said tunes

So I take it you'll be playing as Louis?

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Maybe this game isn't for you. Maybe the Internet isn't for you. A sense of humor is a good thing to have before venturing onto the information superhighway :)

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited November 2008

Yes.

Yes to both?

Yes.

Alrighty then, I'm happy then.

Wait, the 360 demo is online right?

Please give me a hat-trick.

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Wow, you can't even see your feet on the Xbox 360 version. And about the only thing that looks better than on my jank PC are shadows.

Well that is depressing.
    I was hoping the graphics would not suck.

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • YorkerYorker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yes.

Yes to both?

Yes.

Yes.

Yorker on
    76561198037322631.png
    edited November 2008
    Yorker wrote: »

Yes.

Yes to both?

Yes.

Yes.

Will I ever find true love?

aaronsedge on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2008

Yes.

i nominate Jon for worst reply ever.

That would be reserved for this one: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=6885604#post6885604

jonxp on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Hoz wrote: »

Well that is depressing.
    I was hoping the graphics would not suck.
    They don't really suck on Xbox 360, it's just that Valve is really good at making sure shitty PCs handle their games very well.

Hoz on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Maybe this game isn't for you. Maybe the Internet isn't for you. A sense of humor is a good thing to have before venturing onto the information superhighway :)

... What?

You want to try replying again, and maybe making sense this time? o_O

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Dr.ObliviousDr.Oblivious Registered User
    edited November 2008
    Yorker wrote: »

Yes.

Yes to both?

Yes.

Yes.

Will I ever find true love?

Maybe, try again later.

Dr.Oblivious on
    Eve Name: Locke Ateid
    Steam Name: Dr.Oblivious

If you can't live for the now, at least live for the future.
    Bad+Dreamer.png
This discussion has been closed.