As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Weird message while compiling open source software

physi_marcphysi_marc Positron TrackerIn a nutshellRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm compiling some software for my research work at school. I'm using gcc 4.0.1 on Mac OS X 10.5.5. At the end of the compilation, I get these weird messages:
source/management finished
Creating/replacing object files in ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a ...
ar: creating archive ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateRadioactiveDecay.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateRadioactiveDecayMessenger.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateToRootPlotter.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateToRootPlotterMessenger.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateRadioactiveDecay.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateRadioactiveDecayMessenger.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateToRootPlotter.o) has no symbols
ranlib: file: ./tmp/Darwin-g++/Gate/libGate.a(GateToRootPlotterMessenger.o) has no symbols
Compiling Gate.cc ...
Using granular libraries ...
Linking Gate ...
... Done!

What does "ranlib: file : [blahblah] has no symbols" mean? Is there any way I can avoid this? The program seems to have compiled fine, but then it crashes when I try to run it. I have no idea if the crash is related or not to these messages.

In any case, I just want to get rid of these messages on compilation. I'll deal with the crash on my own... unless you happen to be an expert on Gate (the software I'm using).

3DS Friend Code: 3952-7043-7606
Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
physi_marc on