As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thread Left 4 Dead; make a new Dead Thread 4 Dead

MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Games and Technology
Be sure to join Armadeaddon chat before you play L4D. It's a great way to find games. Ask for group invites in the chat; they will get lost in the thread!

l4dsplash3.PNG
Suds is pretty awesome.
arm_poster.jpg

Left 4 Dead is a multiplayer cooperative survival horror shooter in development by Valve, based on the Source engine. There are two sides, the Survivors and Infected. Four players control the four Survivors, working their way through campaigns in rural and urban areas, fighting off dozens of the AI-controlled "infected" (fast, 28 Days Later style zombies). On top of the regular zombies, there are four player-controlled "boss zombies" all with unique powers for causing chaos. This mix of the dozens of AI-controlled infected zombies and the boss zombies makes for an entirely fresh co-op experience. - Left4Dead411

Stuff

Information Compendium by Sol Invictus

Valve Merch
Zoom_L4DFrancis-Shirt.jpg

Zoom_L4DIHateVansShirt.jpg

l4d_posters.jpg
(These are 18" by 24" wall posters)

System Requirements for PC:
Minimum:
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Pentium 4 3.0GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: 128 MB, Shader model 2.0, ATI 9600, NVidia 6600 or better
Hard Drive: At least 7.5 GB of free space
Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card

Recommended:
Supported OS: Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / Vista64
Processor: Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Memory: 1 GB
Graphics: Shader model 3.0, NVidia 7600, ATI X1600 or better

Player Listing

PA Steam Groups

Check out Armadeaddon on Steam! Or for a more European flavor, try the new Zedheads!

Xbox Live Gamertag Group -A PA L4D Group

Send a friend invite to "A PA L4D Group" to be entered into this group. We'll use this gamertag as a central hub for the 360, just like the steam group. I doubt we'll exceed 100, but if we do we'll figure that out when we get there.

Gamertag and Steam ID Collections

Kris_xK is handling invites for the 360 "A PA L4D Group" friend list. PM him about the 360 version ONLY please if there is any trouble with your friend invitation to PA L4D.

Armadeaddon is the PA L4D Steam group. Just join the group chat to ask and someone in the group can invite you.

Meet The Boss Infected
l4dzombie.png

The Tank :
This guy is a powerhouse. When he appears his own music plays and it is very distinctive. Don't be fooled by his size, anything you can climb onto he can climb on to too. He likes to rip chunks of the ground out from under him and throw them in your general direction. Concentrate your fire and whatever you do.. don't stop moving if you are the same level as him. Molotovs are an effective strategy as the Tank will burn until he dies.

The Boomer :
This fat fuck likes nothing more than to waddle up to you and vomit all over you. Now you may think that is disgusting by itself, but this bile that now covers you attracts the horde of infected. So if you are vomited on try and get to a semi defendable position. This can be easier said than done as the bile impairs your vision. He also like to explode when shot, showering people nearby with the same bile. If you find yourself in close proximity to one then first bash him away, retreat and then shoot.

The Hunter :
I hate these guys. They emit a scream when near so you can tell when they are close. These chaps like to jump incredible distances onto survivors, pinning them and then proceeding to rape their face ( not literally ). When pinned a survivor can only be saved by another survivor removing the Hunter. He can also climb and jump onto walls so if you hear one be aware he may not be on ground level. Shooting or meleeing the Hunter during his "animation" will free the survivor. You can't hurt the victim with gunfire but don't go all rambo because you may end up hitting them after the Hunter is gone.

The Smoker :
If you offered this guy an ice cream from 50 feet away then he would have no problem taking the first lick right then and there. For you see, this guy has a massive tongue. One that he uses to ensnare survivors and drag them in. The only way to free the survivor is kill the smoker or shoot his tongue. This one also likes to spawn on rooftops and drag you upwards, so be aware. On death he emits a cloud of noxious smoke that impairs vision as you pass through it, giving him his name. Shooting or meleeing the victim will free him from the tongue without hurting them. If you are close enough save your ammo, if you aren't then shoot.

The Witch :
Oh boy. The first time you encounter one of these it can be truly chilling. Even subsequent encounters can do so. First you hear crying. Then her oh so creepy music plays. Then you see her. Oh, she doesn't look that bad, just sitting there, crying her eyes out. Don't be fooled, for this lady absolutely hates noise, lights and touching. The best idea is to avoid her completely, flashlights off and trying to be as quiet as possible. When disturbed she homes in on the one who disturbed her and rips them a new one. Coordinated players can take her down before she harms anyone, but at times this can be risky.

Console Commands

AkimboEG provided this link from Left 4 Dead 411 for all the known console commands. Thanks dude.

http://www.left4dead411.com/l4d_cvar_list.pdf

Servers
b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png
b_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.pngb_160x400_T1_F-2.png

Password for all is Wang. If you want your server added to this list, please PM me as it'll probably get lost in the thread.

Alabastar Slim currently also has a dedicated server running for the demo.

The IP is: alabaster.bounceme.net

You can connect with the console or if you find it in the server browser. There isn't a password but there is a unique search_index key so that it won't be populated by people who aren't specifically looking for it.

Basic Survival Suggestions
  • Friendly fire is ON at all times. Please try to remember this when moving around other survivors. Accidents are bound to happen but most can be avoided by hugging walls and crouching if you decide to take the lead.
  • Melee is your friend. This can give you some much needed breathing room and also seperates nearby infected from you so fellow survivors can shoot them easier. You can also melee in the middle of reloading, so when in doubt, melee.
  • You can heal other survivors with med kits. Simply stand next to them with the medkit equipped and use your secondary function key, whatever that may be. This also applies to pain pills, which you hand to them. Be aware that doing so will switch whatever that survivor is holding for the pills. So try to hand them over when the survivor isn't in a combat situation. For some reason infected don't die if you point a pot of pills at them.
  • More info on each boss zombie is above if you haven't read it already.
  • Hunters should use their right click attack unless they want to distract or pin, as it does more damage, hits multiple targets, and you stay completely silent when standing.
  • Melee will free a smoker-constricted team member.
  • Team members cannot take friendly fire damage when pinned or constricted.
The Achievements
For those who care about achievements, here they are for your viewing pleasure.

Awww.
1115szn.jpg
Kupi draws!
boomersimulationgx5.jpg
Hang in there!
PM me pics of you hanging in stupid places. God damnit I said do it.
3078072675_ddfe8dff51_o.jpg
duldomm7.jpg
l4d_hospital03_sewers0002.jpg
l4dairport02offices0002lf1.jpg
l4dsmalltown03ranchhoushf0.jpg
Problems with soundlooping, and you have an Nvidia graphics card?
Don't update your drivers past 178.
Open the console, type mat_queue_mode. If its 1 or 2 switch it to -1 by typing mat_queue_mode -1
You can also try: Go to processes in the task manager, right click Left4dead.exe, select "Affinity", uncheck CPU 0

MrDelish on

• Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    is this game better than wow or fallout 3 or solitaire

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best OP ever.

Too bad I won't be playing this probably until the next update.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    ps: does anyone know how to change the thread title? I must just be dumb

oh there it is: double click

MrDelish on
  • Options
    Quaz and WallyQuaz and Wally Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh hey a new thread.

So we're going to be practicing tonight, but I'm not sure when we'll be ready to play, probably around 9:00pm or 9:30pm ET or so. It'd be the server in my sig as usual, highlander, one of each class, no crits, yadda yadda yadda.

Quaz and Wally on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I miss this game :(
    blucm8.png

demonsoldieruj3.jpg

DEMON SOLDIER WANTS YOUR SOUL

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the bestest OP.

Peewi on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've rated this five stars, everyone else should do the same.

Peewi on
  • Options
    SlicerSlicer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is the best OP

Slicer on
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I shall be playing this game while you guys are off enjoying Left4Dead, because I'm poor.

But not right now, because goddamnit, I've got a short window that I can get my demo playing in!

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    TigTig Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrDelish wrote: »
    OP

holy crap so much win

Tig on
  • Options
    FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I watched all those pictures.

Fuga on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I will be playing this alongside Left 4 Dead because I'm not dumb and like good games.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Delish... dear lord...

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    that's an abomination.

TyrantCow on
  • Options
    LurkLurk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This took way longer than it should of been necessary to go through a spoiler worth of images. D=

Lurk on
    415429-1.png?1281464977
  • Options
    ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is really one of the best TF2 OP's I've ever seen, congrats, Mr. Delish <3

Impersonator on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You are good people, Delish.

So many good ones. Medic cradling his dead heavy buddy might be my favorite.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The scout Calvin and spy Hobbes riding the bomb wagon is going to be my favorite for a long time.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    The scout Calvin and spy Hobbes riding the bomb wagon is going to be my favorite for a long time.
    I was just wondering the same thing. God I used to love Calvin and Hobbes.
    I used to do nothin but draw Calvin and Hobbes in gradeschool.

calvinaugh.gif

Plus the #1 fan one is hilarious.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    GreenPowerRangerGreenPowerRanger Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'm Green Power Ranger, and i approve this op.

GreenPowerRanger on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All you babies should get on the server tonight. Tried to get a game going last night but Eric, Sirot and I just ended up meleeing each other a bunch.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2008
    I took my h-scroll back.

Echo on
  • Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That fanart with all of them on cupcakes is the cutest god damned thing ever. :3

What on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    I took my h-scroll back.

oops

that first one was bigger than I thought

MrDelish on
  • Options
    TheSuperWootTheSuperWoot Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The Calvin and Hobbes one should be the unspoilered pic in the OP.

TheSuperWoot on
  • Options
    JaramrJaramr Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Best OP ever.

I mean, holy shit look at all that stuff in that there spoiler.

Jaramr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    You have the sticky plush toy twice. Also I love the "crab party" comic so much.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    You have the sticky plush toy twice. Also I love the "crab party" comic so much.

I noticed that some duplicated somehow. I'll fixit when I get home :P

MrDelish on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well it's about time my screenshot made it into an OP. I dispute your claim that there is "NO MOAR" however, as there is plenty more good stuff out there.

Case in point:
    SENTRY_DOWN_by_RocketShoes.jpg

Spy__s_Day_Off_by_xnafu.jpg

TF2_Sniper_by__casey.jpg

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Josiah_9Josiah_9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Great OP Delish.....I miss TF2

Josiah_9 on
    Saturate.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well it's about time my screenshot made it into an OP. I dispute your claim that there is "NO MOAR" however, as there is plenty more good stuff out there.

Case in point:

TF2_Sniper_by__casey.jpg

Can you get me that scout's number?

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    savooipeerdsavooipeerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    MrMonroe wrote: »

Case in point:

TF2_Sniper_by__casey.jpg

Can you get me that scout's number?
    I_Scout_You_by_RocketShoes.jpg

savooipeerd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    That hat... so... brilliant...

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This thread is pretty awful.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    This thread is pretty awful.

Man, this is so much worse than the pot calling the kettle black.

You just called it a spear-chucker.

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Eric_ResEric_Res Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    WHAT HATH DELISH WROUGHT?

Also, I want to play TF2 today. Won't you all please play with me?
    D:

Eric_Res on
    QdEHg.png
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Man I am so bad at this game but I will log on tonight to get my ass handed to me in honor of this amazing OP.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mandalorian RoosterMandalorian Rooster Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Delish. What have you done?

And from the last thread... I'm all for the idea of a massive night-long blowout of TF2 on the 17th. We should fill the servers, wear party hats, and put a dispenser here.

Mandalorian Rooster on
  • Options
    LagnarLagnar Halifax, Nova scotiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anyone up for a game right now? Ill can hop on within the next half an hour or so most likely.

Lagnar on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That first image in the OP is probably intended to be cute, but instead it just scares me

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png