As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Wii Speak channel only for those with code from new purchase

CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Games and Technology
http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12/wii-speak-channel-only-for-wii-speak-purchasers/
The peripheral can also be used without “Animal Crossing,” just for game-free voice chat, but that requires used of the Wii Speak Channel, which will be released in December.

But there’s a catch, a fine print surprise. There is a pamphlet packaged with the peripheral that includes a 16-character code, a “Wii Download Ticket Number,” to be used for downloading the Wii Speak Channel. According to the pamphlet, this code “cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen.”
A Nintendo rep further clarified to me that the channel won’t be able to be downloaded through any other means. You won’t be able to get it off the Wii Shopping Channel manually, nor would you be able to buy it. Essentially, the Wii Speak Channel will be available to new purchasers of the Wii Speak mic and that’s it.

I’d imagine that anyone who gets a Wii Speak in anything other than its original packaging — buys it used on eBay, for example — isn’t going to get a fresh code. And without the code, they won’t be able to get the channel. So if you’re shopping for Wii Speak, you’d best buy it new.
I don’t think use of a used Wii Speak mic would limit its functionality with “Animal Crossing,” but I can’t confirm that. Still, this isn’t how most gaming peripherals like, say the “Rock Band” drums or the Wii Balance Board are restricted, so I thought it best to pass on.
:| Why the hell are they doing it that way?

Couscous on

• Options
    chasehatesbearschasehatesbears Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/12/wii-speak-channel-only-for-wii-speak-purchasers/
    The peripheral can also be used without “Animal Crossing,” just for game-free voice chat, but that requires used of the Wii Speak Channel, which will be released in December.

But there’s a catch, a fine print surprise. There is a pamphlet packaged with the peripheral that includes a 16-character code, a “Wii Download Ticket Number,” to be used for downloading the Wii Speak Channel. According to the pamphlet, this code “cannot be replaced by Nintendo or your retailer if it is lost or stolen.”
    A Nintendo rep further clarified to me that the channel won’t be able to be downloaded through any other means. You won’t be able to get it off the Wii Shopping Channel manually, nor would you be able to buy it. Essentially, the Wii Speak Channel will be available to new purchasers of the Wii Speak mic and that’s it.

I’d imagine that anyone who gets a Wii Speak in anything other than its original packaging — buys it used on eBay, for example — isn’t going to get a fresh code. And without the code, they won’t be able to get the channel. So if you’re shopping for Wii Speak, you’d best buy it new.
    I don’t think use of a used Wii Speak mic would limit its functionality with “Animal Crossing,” but I can’t confirm that. Still, this isn’t how most gaming peripherals like, say the “Rock Band” drums or the Wii Balance Board are restricted, so I thought it best to pass on.
    :| Why the hell are they doing it that way?

I really don't understand a lot of the decisions Nintendo makes regarding things like online play and voice chat.

chasehatesbears on
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It is worth mentioning that Wii Speak Channel is only used for group conversations, and doesn't affect how mic works in actual games.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe Nintendo is trying to cut out used game sales. They don't see a dime from used game sales, so adding this to a new game is an incentive.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

You are upset because you can only get the WiiSpeak channel if you buy a WiiSpeak? What exactly are you going to do with the WiiSpeak channel if you don't have the goddamn WiiSpeak?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gyral wrote: »
    Maybe Nintendo is trying to cut out used game sales.

That too. They have actually tried to do that for last fifteen years, especially in Japan.

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

You are upset because you can only get the WiiSpeak channel if you buy a WiiSpeak? What exactly are you going to do with the WiiSpeak channel if you don't have the goddamn WiiSpeak?

What if you bought an Xbox Live Headset or a Gamecube controller used and it didn't work because it was used?

Taramoor on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    elkatas wrote: »
    It is worth mentioning that Wii Speak Channel is only used for group conversations, and doesn't affect how mic works in actual games.

So this really only affects the people who buy the WiiSpeak used and who want to talk with people who do not have a single common WiiSpeak-capable game?

At first this kind of bothered me, but now that I realize that, it's not really that annoying.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

It sounds like this was a move to prevent people from trying to use their own microphones. The other alternative—make WiiSpeak a paid channel, include voucher for free WiiSpeak channel in select games—would have people enraged too, about having to pay for voice chat, and rightly so.
    Taramoor wrote:
    What if you bought an Xbox Live Headset or a Gamecube controller used and it didn't work because it was used?

As I understand, the mic will still work in games that support it, though. It's just the WiiSpeak conference call-style voice chat on the main menu that isn't usable.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Guys.

It's not exactly that. I know you're probably being a little hyperbolic on purpose, but I could see some misunderstandings/rumors spreading. The WiiSpeak mic will work perfectly fine in Animal Crossing and (hopefully) other future Wii games if you buy it used; you only miss out on the WiiSpeak Channel.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Guys.

It's not exactly that. I know you're probably being a little hyperbolic on purpose, but I could see some misunderstandings/rumors spreading. The WiiSpeak mic will work perfectly fine in Animal Crossing and (hopefully) other future Wii games if you buy it used; you only miss out on the WiiSpeak Channel.

I understand that, and honestly am not bothered by the whole thing, but the people who are annoyed by it are NOT totally off base.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

Don't buy it used. What's a WiiSpeak going to cost, like $20?

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

I couldn't possibly quote this enough.

I really think people are getting ideologically pissed off without thinking about what this actually means.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The WiiSpeak Channel seems pretty pointless to me. In order to use it, you must exchange Wii Codes with friends, make sure they have the WiiSpeak (and the channel, since it's not available to everyone), and then coordinate being online at the same time. A lot of that requires using other means of communication, so... why not just use those to begin with- Ventrillo seems much easier/practical.

In my view, the point of voice chat on consoles is to chat while playing games. Unless Nintendo radically changes the way Channels work (minimization?), you'll have to sit in the WiiSpeak Channel, staring at the screen while you talk. It's... not a very big incentive for whatever they're trying to do with this new limited distribution method.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

I really think people are getting ideologically pissed off without thinking about what this actually means.

This is true for almost everything on message boards, though. Where else would discussion go? :)

That said, people should definitely consider whether the WiiSpeak channel, free or paid, is even worth the nerd fury over. It's not used with any games and, as I understand it, has you in a static screen of Miis and talking to people on the other end who are also idling on a static screen. I call that "my cell phone."

...oh, just beaten:
    Cyrixd wrote:
    In my view, the point of voice chat on consoles is to chat while playing games. Unless Nintendo radically changes the way Channels work (minimization?), you'll have to sit in the WiiSpeak Channel, staring at the screen while you talk. It's... not a very big incentive for whatever they're trying to do with this new limited distribution method.

Exactly. I only chat when I'm playing a game. If I wasn't playing a game with someone, I'd just call them.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't think this is really worth getting that upset over, either. Although if I were Nintendo, and I saw people were going to buy WiiSpeak headsets used anyway (which they will; even if it's cheap some people will be eager to save a buck or two), I'd just make the channel available as WiiWare and charge like $5 for it, the way they do with the Internet Channel. That way you still make some money off of the used buyers or non-WiiSpeak mic owners.

Not really a big deal though.

Norfair on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lunker wrote: »
    Guys.

This is true for almost everything on message boards, though. Where else would discussion go? :)

That said, people should definitely consider whether the WiiSpeak channel, free or paid, is even worth the nerd fury over. It's not used with any games and, as I understand it, has you in a static screen of Miis and talking to people on the other end who are also idling on a static screen. I call that "my cell phone."

...oh, just beaten:
    Cyrixd wrote:

Exactly. I only chat when I'm playing a game. If I wasn't playing a game with someone, I'd just call them.

You're right about the futility of arguing the need to argue, however I have a tick on my back when people backlash at companies for doing what they find to be fiscally responsible, especially when it's almost non-intrusive to the gaming experience (case in point, Microtransanctions for NFS when you can use in game points as well).

However, I suppose here could be one point of contention with this: I'm not terribly well versed on Wii Speak yet (I'm sick of Animal Crossing in its current form and waiting for the Conduit next year) but does the Wii speak channel work in a manner where you can utilize it while operating games as well? For example, could you hypothetically load up Wii Speak, dial someone on your friends list, then launch a game that doesn't support it (say Mario Strikers) while still talking to said person? If so, then that would definately be a blow to the used market.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    However, I suppose here could be one point of contention with this: I'm not terribly well versed on Wii Speak yet (I'm sick of Animal Crossing in its current form and waiting for the Conduit next year) but does the Wii speak channel work in a manner where you can utilize it while operating games as well? For example, could you hypothetically load up Wii Speak, dial someone on your friends list, then launch a game that doesn't support it (say Mario Strikers) while still talking to said person? If so, then that would definately be a blow to the used market.

Not unless there's a drastic change in how the Wii handles channels. As I understand, it's no different than the Internet Channel, Photo Channel, Mii Channel or any of the VC games; you can't use one, leave it active and tab over to another one. It's like how I find the Internet channel useless since I can't leave it open to a page while I'm also playing a Wii game.

I'd love for it to work like you're envisioning, though. (And Mario Strikers doesn't nearly get enough love!)

Lunker on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Guys.

Thank you.

I've been beating my head against the wall for the past hour on GAF trying to send this simple message into people.

Here, it's posted on the first page.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Pata wrote: »
    Guys.

Thank you.

I've been beating my head against the wall for the past hour on GAF trying to send this simple message into people.

Here, it's posted on the first page.

Trying to get anything by on GAF is retarded anyways.

Also, maybe they have good intentions like trying to cut out on all the dangerous pedophiles on the internet.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I don't see anything wrong with this.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lunker wrote: »

Not unless there's a drastic change in how the Wii handles channels. As I understand, it's no different than the Internet Channel, Photo Channel, Mii Channel or any of the VC games; you can't use one, leave it active and tab over to another one. It's like how I find the Internet channel useless since I can't leave it open to a page while I'm also playing a Wii game.

I'd love for it to work like you're envisioning, though. (And Mario Strikers doesn't nearly get enough love!)

Off topic, but I really want to get playing online with Strikers again. My entire Friends list got wiped out (My Wii died and Nintendo couldn’t transfer my saves over, bright side I had over 30 new games to play) but I wonder (aloud) how many people would dust off Strikers if I inquired.

DeaconKnowledge on