As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

NCAA Tournament - UNC is victorious!

Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C ERegistered User regular
Ladies and gentlemen, the Associated Press and Coaches Poll agree; if the Final Four happened now, the most likely teams in it would be:

1. North Carolina

UNC.jpg

North Carolina is the consensus #1 in both polls. As in, they got every single first place vote in both the AP and Coaches Poll. Crazy shit! It might have something to do with the fact that they're basically returning the same team from last year, and supposedly it's even better this year! People are talking 39-0. Crazy shit!

2. Louisville

Louisville.gif

Terrance Williams and Earl Clark stick around to give Rick Pitino his best chance so far to step out from under the shadow of his history at UK and make some new history at Louisville. This is a damn good team, and Rick Pitino is a damn good coach.

3. UConn

UConn.jpg

Hasheem Thabeet, besides having an awesome name, gave UConn perhaps the best defensive center in the nation when he decided not to head to the NBA. And Jim Calhoun isn't a bad coach either, to put it mildly.

4. UCLA

ucla_bruins_logo.png

How did UCLA lose 3 starters to the NBA and still end up in the top 4? Well, a good start is keeping Darren Collison and adding Jrue Holiday, creating what is probably the best backcourt in the country. If some of the younger players like junior Keefe and freshmen J'Mison Morgan and Drew Gordon step up and exceed expectations, this team could contend for the championship.

AP poll
Coaches poll

As for me, I'm still rooting just as hard for UCLA this year, and I'm hoping Kentucky makes some waves too, now that Patterson is back and healthy and the team has had the opportunity to adapt to Gillispie's coaching style.

Go Bruins and Go 'Cats!

vRyue2p.png
Hi I'm Vee! on

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Anybody but Duke, please.

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's how it's going to play out for Arizona State: they're ranked 15th now. When the conference schedule starts they'll beat a few teams, maybe even U of Arizona, and then fall apart down the stretch, especially if they're on national TV. A NCAA tournament bid won't be apart of their future and so they'll end up in the NIT and get promptly bounced out.

Woo.

thanimations on
  • Options
    juice for jesusjuice for jesus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ASU has 3 really good players in Boateng, Harden, and Pendergraph. Just need some of those freshmen and sophomores to step up. Jeez, 7 fr and 6 so on that team. How'd that happen?
    No. 4 UCLA holds off Miami of Ohio 64-59
    Ugh :|

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Go 'Cuse!

and fuck preseason polls.

geckahn on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ASU has 3 really good players in Boateng, Harden, and Pendergraph. Just need some of those freshmen and sophomores to step up. Jeez, 7 fr and 6 so on that team. How'd that happen?

Yeah, I think ASU's going to do really well this year. UCLA's going to have some tough games against them. I think ASU is the Washington State of this year's PAC-10.

And yeah, I saw the game last night, juice. Miami (OH) is perennially a tough school for an unranked team, though. They're one of those teams that has one really good player that keeps them in the game. Michigan's going to be a very interesting game, and if we make it past them, it's likely we'll have Duke next Friday, which will be a great early test of our squad.

I might actually be able to convince my dad to root for UCLA in that game, given how much he hates Duke.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's how it's going to play out for Arizona State: they're ranked 15th now. When the conference schedule starts they'll beat a few teams, maybe even U of Arizona, and then fall apart down the stretch, especially if they're on national TV. A NCAA tournament bid won't be apart of their future and so they'll end up in the NIT and get promptly bounced out.

Woo.
    I-uh-what? Did you watch ASU at all last year? They were very competitive in the most competitive conference last year (boy does it hurt for me to say that, what the hell ACC?). ASU is going to win games. Now if they'll win enough games, I don't know, because for some reason Herb gave them a pansy-ass Non Conference Schedual that won't help at all should they end up in the middle of the Pac 10 standings this year.

As for UNC, I don't care how many we win, as long as we're cutting down all the nets come March. This team needs to know by now that good ol' Roy isn't going to take time-outs or do any sort of coaching at all in pressure situations. When their backs are against the wall, it's gonna be up to them just to be that much better than anybody else on the floor. They can do it. I know they can do it. At least until Roy starts messing with the rotation and putting five shooters on the floor just for kicks. But you can't blame the kids for that.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ringo wrote: »

Woo.
    I-uh-what? Did you watch ASU at all last year? They were very competitive in the most competitive conference last year (boy does it hurt for me to say that, what the hell ACC?). ASU is going to win games. Now if they'll win enough games, I don't know, because for some reason Herb gave them a pansy-ass Non Conference Schedual that won't help at all should they end up in the middle of the Pac 10 standings this year.

As for UNC, I don't care how many we win, as long as we're cutting down all the nets come March. This team needs to know by now that good ol' Roy isn't going to take time-outs or do any sort of coaching at all in pressure situations. When their backs are against the wall, it's gonna be up to them just to be that much better than anybody else on the floor. They can do it. I know they can do it. At least until Roy starts messing with the rotation and putting five shooters on the floor just for kicks. But you can't blame the kids for that.

Oh I did watch, and I really hope that they improve. In fact, they most likely will. But if I've learned anything from the three major sports I follow at ASU in the past few years is to not get too hyped up about certain things.

thanimations on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Glad to see the season start. I'm expecting some good things out of my boys at Marquette. We've got our three star guards back for their senior year, Jerel McNeal, Dominic James, and Wes Matthews. Our big worry is on the inside though, Marquette is a guard heavy team. We have a freshman at 6-10 that is likely going to be our only chance at a real inside presence. Still they should compete for the top of the Big East and go deep into the NCAA tournament.

It'll also be interesting to see how the team plays with the new coach, Tom Crean is now at Indiana and Buzz Williams, a former assistant under Crean, is the new coach. It sounds like the team is responding well for him and so far he has a top 5 ranked recruiting class coming in for 2009 so he seems to know what he's doing.

The first big game will be on December 6th against in-state rival Wisconsin. That one is always fun and Bo Ryan is a hard dude to try and beat.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Woo.

Oh I did watch, and I really hope that they improve. In fact, they most likely will. But if I've learned anything from the three major sports I follow at ASU in the past few years is to not get too hyped up about certain things.
    Ah. I totally understand that one.

Ringo on
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Yeah, I think ASU's going to do really well this year. UCLA's going to have some tough games against them. I think ASU is the Washington State of this year's PAC-10.

And yeah, I saw the game last night, juice. Miami (OH) is perennially a tough school for an unranked team, though. They're one of those teams that has one really good player that keeps them in the game. Michigan's going to be a very interesting game, and if we make it past them, it's likely we'll have Duke next Friday, which will be a great early test of our squad.

I might actually be able to convince my dad to root for UCLA in that game, given how much he hates Duke.

A 5 point win vs Miami OH is like a 12-15 point win vs most schools who play a normal pace. The small margin is just a natural result of the super-slow pace Miami plays. It's like saying Usain Bolt only beat me in a 100m sprint by 1 second without mentioning that we were running in a swimming pool.

Most have USC and ASU battling for 2nd in the Pac-10 this year, both should be 20 game winners and easily make the NCAA tourney. Arizona's down, they were really hurt when Brandon Jennings went to Europe instead of Tuscon, followed by Lute Olsen's retirement.

Your guys' game vs Duke should be on at least one of the ESPNs, if not the main one. I'm just hoping someone out there picks up USC vs Memphis, which could also be on Friday in Puerto Rico. Once again this game would feature 2 of the most prominent freshmen in the class. Last year it was OJ Mayo vs Derrick Rose (both of whom are now tearing up the NBA), this year Demar DeRozan vs Tyreke Evans.

Anyone see Davidson and Oklahoma throw down in Norman? GREAT game, with 2 of the best kids in the country going at it. Blake Griffin was a beast putting up 25 points and 21 boards. Stephen Curry put up 44 - this kid is freaking automatic.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    I have tickets to see UT-MTSU tomorrow night; should be fun.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bubba T, as a Trojan fan, were you as puzzled and dissapointed as I was about Davon Jefferson trying to go in the draft? Sometimes I thought he was USC's best player last year, and with another year or three might have been a high draft pick. Now he's playing in Israel, probably for less than the value of a USC scholarship.

Of course, I thought Luc Richard Mbah a Moute wouldn't get drafted, and he's starting and putting up double-doubles. So what do I know?

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Bubba T, as a Trojan fan, were you as puzzled and dissapointed as I was about Davon Jefferson trying to go in the draft? Sometimes I thought he was USC's best player last year, and with another year or three might have been a high draft pick. Now he's playing in Israel, probably for less than the value of a USC scholarship.

Of course, I thought Luc Richard Mbah a Moute wouldn't get drafted, and he's starting and putting up double-doubles. So what do I know?

Very confused by Jefferson leaving school. As a freshman, he looked like he could have become a late 1st rounder with 1-2 more years in school. Work on his left hand, develop a mid-range jumper, and he would have been in. I thought at the time, and still do, that his decision was driven as much by academic problems as anything basketball-related.

I still thought around April/May that he could have made the NBA this season, but over the summer it became clear that he didn't care. He showed up to the NBA combine all fat, the equivalent of showing up to a job interview wearing a tank top and chugging a beer. He showed no desire or effort during workouts or in pre-draft camps, a horrible sign for a guy whose best shot at making the NBA would have been as an energy/hustle guy off the bench.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh for fuck's sake.

First Kentucky loses to fucking VMI, and then UCLA loses to Michigan. Albeit, Michigan is a much "better" loss than VMI, but still...

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    fuuuuuck

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Oh for fuck's sake.

First Kentucky loses to fucking VMI, and then UCLA loses to Michigan. Albeit, Michigan is a much "better" loss than VMI, but still...

Well, that remains to be seen. I am very very happy with that win though. My basketball team might not suck this year? That is extremely exciting.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh for fuck's sake.

I'd gloat about UCLA, but I'm trying to figure out how USC lost to a Seton Hall team that has only 7 players on scholarship. And why Demar DeRozan only played 20 minutes while scrubs like Keith Wilkinson and Marcus Simmons were in at crunch time. And why 7-footer Mamadou Diarra couldn't get a single minute while Seton Hall was grabbing 15 offensive rebounds.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UNC-UNC-UNC

is my school really primed for a victory this season? I should be paying more attention

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Gonna take awhile for this year's freshmen to come together I guess.

juice for jesus on
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How the hell is UF ranked?

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    BYU!

haha just kidding guys

"God must be a tar-heels fan or else why'd he make the sky Carolina Blue"

Element Brian on
    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rock, Chalk, Jay-hawk..?

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    BYU!

haha just kidding guys

They're actually not bad. The Mountain West should come down to BYU and UNLV.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Rock, Chalk, Jay-hawk..?

Probably a down year for them. They lost almost their whole team to the NBA and graduation. Sherron Collins has a good shot at making all-conference, but after that the roster gets thin and young real quick. Collins is the only guy who played 10+ minutes per game last year. Most of their seniors are at the walk-on level.

They'll still do alright, but they're a lot closer to mid-level teams like Texas A&M and Baylor than they are to Texas and Oklahoma.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rock Chalk, baby.

Idx86 on
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Idx86 wrote: »
    Rock Chalk, baby.

Aren't you usually a Gopher?

Also, damn Michigan couldn't pull off the back to back huge upsets. But if they can find a third scoring option and start making their jumpers consistently, that might be a pretty good team. For the first time since the infamous rollover accident I have a little optimism.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Baylor takes out Arizona State 87-78 :(

Gotta give props to State (mostly Harden) however for getting a fifteen point deficit back down to four with a barrage of 3-pointers. I really didn't think they were capable of breaking 70 points.

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UNC expects a championship, and has all the tools to make it possible--their depth is insane. Seeing Zeller go down wasn't fun, but they have so many guys that things like that can just be absorbed to a degree (like how Quinten Thomas stepped up after Fraisor got injured). While going undefeated is a nice goal, I would have to think someone in the ACC will have to get lucky at least once, just not Duke. Please, not Duke.

UNC should rock, but the most fun story over here is Davidson--Stephen Curry is sick, and it was good to see them win even when Loyola held him to 0 points over 32 minutes.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Baylor takes out Arizona State 87-78 :(

Gotta give props to State (mostly Harden) however for getting a fifteen point deficit back down to four with a barrage of 3-pointers. I really didn't think they were capable of breaking 70 points.

Well that wasn't fun. Everything looked okay for most of the first half, but ASU is too deliberate on offense sometimes. Hopefully they'll be able to build from this one.

thanimations on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Resurrecting this to say: woooooooooo Michigan beat Duke woooooo.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Resurrecting this to say: woooooooooo Michigan beat Duke woooooo.
    :D

hurray!

Clint Eastwood on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also, Ohio State beat Notre Dame.

This is a good day for anti-____ fans.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Also Big Ten basketball. If Michigan had just held on against the Terps I would be really excited about their chances this year. 7-1 with wins over UCLA, Duke, and @ Maryland would be really nice towards ending the NCAA tournament drought.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What an up and down day of basketball today. Minnesota over Louisville and Arizona State narrowly avoids another upset. Too bad about the Xavier and Davidson blowouts though.

Conference play starts soon. How's everybody holding up so far?

Ringo on
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Big Ten had a very good day yesterday, if certain teams (like mine, Michigan...beat UCLA and Duke but not Maryland) hadn't blown leads in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge they'd look like a deep conference without a great team. But would get lots of teams in, which is what I'm looking for as I think Michigan probably finishes 5/6 in the conference because when the threes aren't falling I'm not sure where the offense comes from in Big Ten play.

I'd really like to see my team in the NCAA tournament for the first time in a decade.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    BubbaT wrote: »
    BYU!

haha just kidding guys

They're actually not bad. The Mountain West should come down to BYU and UNLV.

Burtletoy wrote: »
    Rock, Chalk, Jay-hawk..?

Probably a down year for them. They lost almost their whole team to the NBA and graduation. Sherron Collins has a good shot at making all-conference, but after that the roster gets thin and young real quick. Collins is the only guy who played 10+ minutes per game last year. Most of their seniors are at the walk-on level.

They'll still do alright, but they're a lot closer to mid-level teams like Texas A&M and Baylor than they are to Texas and Oklahoma.

yeah honestly watching Mario and Dwayne Wade is more exciting than watching this team

Sam on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    What an up and down day of basketball today. Minnesota over Louisville and Arizona State narrowly avoids another upset. Too bad about the Xavier and Davidson blowouts though.

Conference play starts soon. How's everybody holding up so far?

USC has looked terrible so far, and barely survived North Dakota State at home. I'm hoping for a 4th place finish in the Pac 10, whereas before the season I thought 2nd was possible.

DeRozan was projected as a top 5 draft pick coming out of HS? LOL.

OOC, nice to Michigan return to basketball relevance. They've been gone from the national picture for too long for such an important program.

Conversely, what a disaster Indiana has been since they fired Bob Knight.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Yeah nevermind that whole national runner-up thing under Mike Davis.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited December 2008

It's not like they never reached the Final Four with Knight. And they did it without cheating.

They brought in a known cheater in Sampson, who unsurprisingly continued to cheat in Bloomington. And their last big recruit Eric Gordon, who is from Indiana, couldn't get out of town fast enough and has now levelled allegations of widespread drug use throughout the Hoosier basketball program.

Since Knight left, a school that had gone 50 years without a major NCAA violation now finds itself on 3 years probation, along with numerous self-imposed penalties.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited December 2008

It's not like they never reached the Final Four with Knight. And they did it without cheating.

They brought in a known cheater in Sampson, who unsurprisingly continued to cheat in Bloomington. And their last big recruit Eric Gordon, who is from Indiana, couldn't get out of town fast enough and has now levelled allegations of widespread drug use throughout the Hoosier basketball program.

Since Knight left, a school that had gone 50 years without a major NCAA violation now finds itself on 3 years probation, along with numerous self-imposed penalties.

I'm well aware that Sampson was not the best choice. Indiana is clearly a disaster since they hired him.

Davis got them to the damn championship game though.

Folken Fanel on
    Characters I hate:

• Options
    edited December 2008

I'm well aware that Sampson was not the best choice. Indiana is clearly a disaster since they hired him.

Davis got them to the damn championship game though.

And that was their only trip past the 2nd round in the last 8 years.

And when Knight's players had cycled out of IU, the guys Davis had recruited brought Indiana its first losing season since 1970. One of the reasons for Knight's firing was his lack of postseason success, yet under Knight the Hoosiers never failed to make the NCAA tournament for 2 consecutive seasons as they did under Davis.

And during which time, Texas Tech never failed to make the NCAA tournament for 2 consecutive seasons.

BubbaT on