As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Penny Arcade RSS Feed

GordoGordo Registered User new member
Comic: Gordo complains about the Penny Arcade RSS Feed

There did you like it? What? You couldn't see it? That's odd. Maybe I hate for my fans to read my comics in a way that is convenient to them and have put it behind a horrible title only feed. I mean could you....

Wait? Why did the text just cut off? So the news post about my awesome comic about Penny Arcade is cut off too. Wow. I really hate my fans. I mean sure, a full RSS feed would probably increase my page views since it would encourage people to read the comic and pass it to their friends but I don't care about that. Yeah, a full RSS feed makes viewing my comics and news posts so much easier, especially if viewed on a cell phone, but I have to completely control how people view my comic. It's mine. So good, that settles it. No full RSS feed.

I hope you enjoy the comic I posted above. Well, if you can figure out how to view it.

Gordo on

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While I agree with your complaints, you come across as a dick in your post.

Peewi on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Passive aggressive? Check!

Incoherent? Check!

Wrong place for posting? Check!

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Rule 1: Don't be a dick.

Ivar on
  • Options
    JandaruJandaru New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Maybe I'm not doing it right, but the RSS feed seems to work just fine for me.

I've never had an issue sharing it with friends either - not that "hey did you see today's Penny Arcade?" requires a lot of fancy software.

Jandaru on
    0ijlzpptari2.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If there's one thing I can tell you, it's that your attitude is precisely the way to get things done and win people onto your side.

Yup.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    it sure is hard to type www.penny-arcade.com/comic

KalTorak on
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Smart people use the Penny Arcade - Comic on Front Page greasemonkey script in Firefox.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jandaru wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not doing it right, but the RSS feed seems to work just fine for me.

I agree with this post. Minus the sarcasm because we're nice to fellow members in Tube's circus.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gordo wrote: »

There did you like it? What? You couldn't see it? That's odd. Maybe I hate for my fans to read my comics in a way that is convenient to them and have put it behind a horrible title only feed. I mean could you....

Wait? Why did the text just cut off? So the news post about my awesome comic about Penny Arcade is cut off too. Wow. I really hate my fans. I mean sure, a full RSS feed would probably increase my page views since it would encourage people to read the comic and pass it to their friends but I don't care about that. Yeah, a full RSS feed makes viewing my comics and news posts so much easier, especially if viewed on a cell phone, but I have to completely control how people view my comic. It's mine. So good, that settles it. No full RSS feed.

I hope you enjoy the comic I posted above. Well, if you can figure out how to view it.
    I'll ignore the poorly executed sarcasm here and get to the heart of the issue. Let's back track about 4 years back when I implemented RSS at Penny Arcade. There were several competing standards besides RSS; Slashdot was using (and I believe they still do use) RDF.

After looking at the different specifications, I decided on RSS as it accomplished more of what I was looking to do. Specifically, RSS was meant to alert people of updates to content. It is important to note that RSS was not to replace the delivery of the content itself. After some thought, I decided to not include HTML in the RSS feed because the RSS specification does not allow for embedding HTML and most readers at the time did not support HTML parsing. Several semi-official hacks have been developed to work around this problem, but at the end of the day they are still hacks.

Not including full text in the news feed was a similar decision. I have a field in our database called "excerpt" which stores a short summary or introductory paragraph. When left blank, the field defaults to the first X words. I suppose I should change that to default to the first paragraph. I'll put that on my TODO list for the software that generates those feeds.

I'll unlock the thread, and people are welcome to post suggestions for the RSS feed.

And Gordo, don't be a dick.

Älphämönkëy on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think as RSS readers become more robust and separated from the browser, so too does the role of the RSS feed itself. On mobile platforms, visiting the website becomes a burden compared to loading raw text and one or two images in a feed.

Personally I unsubscribe to any feed that doesn't provide full posts. I understand that views from feeds don't provide ad impressions, though, and don't drive traffic to the site.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Personally I unsubscribe to any feed that doesn't provide full posts. I understand that views from feeds don't provide ad impressions, though, and don't drive traffic to the site.

This alone should make it very clear why the system is as it is, I'm guessing. I obviously don't have their revenue figures, but my assumption is that ad revenue is probably generating more income than the store. In any event, it is generating SOME income, and RSSing everything would probably harm that. This is not a bad thing, I think.

Gordo may want to read some psych articles about the usefulness of opening up a request by putting the other side on the defensive.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gordo wrote: »

I'll ignore the poorly executed sarcasm here and get to the heart of the issue. Let's back track about 4 years back when I implemented RSS at Penny Arcade. There were several competing standards besides RSS; Slashdot was using (and I believe they still do use) RDF.

After looking at the different specifications, I decided on RSS as it accomplished more of what I was looking to do. Specifically, RSS was meant to alert people of updates to content. It is important to note that RSS was not to replace the delivery of the content itself. After some thought, I decided to not include HTML in the RSS feed because the RSS specification does not allow for embedding HTML and most readers at the time did not support HTML parsing. Several semi-official hacks have been developed to work around this problem, but at the end of the day they are still hacks.

Not including full text in the news feed was a similar decision. I have a field in our database called "excerpt" which stores a short summary or introductory paragraph. When left blank, the field defaults to the first X words. I suppose I should change that to default to the first paragraph. I'll put that on my TODO list for the software that generates those feeds.

I'll unlock the thread, and people are welcome to post suggestions for the RSS feed.

And Gordo, don't be a dick.

This explains why the initial decision was made.

However, why is it still the case? I mean, I read the news from the main page and the comic from the SE++ post anyways, but I can understand the argument. Or would that require like, a super-thousand years of coding?

Also, is there any way to get a separate Comic and News feed, with one Combined? That way, if I don't care about newsfeeds I don't get them or get the RSS reader telling me I've got unread crap when I just want to see the comics. This actually would probably be a bigger deal if the comics and full news could load now...

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Why not put the ad in the feed as well as the full content?

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ivar wrote: »

"Man I just wanted to read the comic and news post, not be BOMBARDED BY YOUR ADVERTISING SCREW YOU GUYS"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    darleysam wrote: »

"Man I just wanted to read the comic and news post, not be BOMBARDED BY YOUR ADVERTISING SCREW YOU GUYS"

That's a fair point, but you'd get exactly the same amount of ads as when you go to the website.

Plus, nobody's forcing you to use the feed.

Ivar on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Oh I don't care about it, I'm just pointing out that there'll be at least one person who complains like it's some kind of scam.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2008
    I don't suspect Flash ads can be placed in a feed, either, which might be a sticking point.

Ramius on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    With some other websites, i've been able to get a comic only feed.

Would it be possible to split into two feeds, one for comic-one for news?

romanqwerty on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    I don't suspect Flash ads can be placed in a feed, either, which might be a sticking point.

You don't see Flash ads if you turn off plugins either. Moot point.

Ivar on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited November 2008
    No, that is not a moot point.

The fact that some percentage of HTTP/HTML consumers may not be seeing Flash ads currently does not cancel out the fact that 100% of XML Syndication consumers would not see Flash ads.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, that is not a moot point.

The fact that some percentage of HTTP/HTML consumers may not be seeing Flash ads currently does not cancel out the fact that 100% of XML Syndication consumers would not see Flash ads.

Yeah, allright. But when you see the main site without Flash, you get image ads instead. Couldn't those be put in the feed?

Ivar on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I think there might be Flash ads in Slashdot's feed these days, courtesy of Google. They may just be GIFs, of course, as I've never found out for certain.

Cyvros on