As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The quickest music thread ever

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for music with the following vocal style.

Youtube

I didn't know if I should just embed it, so I erred on the side of no. Also I'm talking about only the first two minutes of the song mostly, but a lot of the following instrumentals are pretty goddamn sweet too.

Edit: Oh. I guess creating a hyperlink embeds it automatically. Spiffy.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    are you looking for choral-type music?

Raneados on
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Thomas Tallis might be worth checking out. He's the 16th century vocal composer, really great

yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    ApexMirageApexMirage Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Enya?

ApexMirage on
    I'd love to be the one disappoint you when I don't fall down
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Majandra and Robert might be up your alley

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x80exaP88k

Raneados on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Medieval Babes maybe?

And err, Mirabilis

Rook on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I cant watch these because I'm at home and the signal I get here is crappy, but I will definitely respond in a meaningful way tomorrow. Just don't want it to look like I crapped out a thread and didn't respond. So this.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    From listening to the first minute of it, I'm immediately reminded of the Agnus Dei by Samuel Barber. There are a hojillion Agnus Deis, but this one is basically a choral arrangement of his Adagio for Strings. It's been used in a ton of movies (Elephant Man, Platoon) and the Homeworld Trailer, so it might be familiar.

The C V Stanford version of "Beati Quorum Via" is also something that comes to mind. It's 6 part harmony, and has lots of flowing lines of melody.

The music sounds reminiscent of Celtic harmonies. If that's what you are going for, there's always Lorenna McKennit. Not sure if you are familiar with her, but if you aren't, look for Lady of Shalott and Mummer's Dance (played ad nauseum during the late 90s).

I'll post more if I think of it.

EDIT: I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for. But another piece that came to mind was Palestrina's Kyrie

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JNighthawkJNighthawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ApexMirage wrote: »
    Enya?

Seconded.

JNighthawk on
    Game programmer
  • Options
    RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think Sigur Ros make this kind of shitty music.

Ritchmeister on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Feel free to not post if you have nothing useful to say. Thanks.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Some Celtic Woman, may'haps.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That song is Creid, from the album Xenogears:Creid. It's got some pretty neat stuff on it, much of which is similar to that. If you like the whole boys choir/women's choir floaty sound thing, Palestrina and other composers of the era would be a good bet, as Hahnsoo1 pointed out. As for groups, Anonymous 4 is pretty good. You can check out a lot of their stuff at free.napster.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I dont normally listen to this kind of thing unless I happen to be in creative mode. Metal just isn't something I can listen to while writing. *shrug*

But yes. Choral music. Hanshoo1 nailed it pretty much. Although Lorena Mckennit is, from the looks of it, not what I'm looking for at all.

Enya is much much closer, but I really would prefer something in a foreign language (and something more somber - I'm looking for hopeful rather than inspiring). German or perhaps Russian would be great (Or at least eastern-European). I might add that Origa is awesome, but I cant find anything she's done except collabs with Yoko Kanno for Stand Alone Complex.

I can sit down and start drawing with pantera on and all I get on my paper is just angry shit. This kind of music opens up entire worlds in my minds eye. It's so weird.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Sigur Ros makes this kind of awesome music.. with crescendos of emotion and more instruments.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    Sigur Ros makes this kind of awesome music.. with crescendos of emotion and more instruments.

Yeah Sigur Ros make this kind of ... beautiful music. Only it tends to be more instrumental and less vocal-based. At least their new stuff is.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Enya is much much closer, but I really would prefer something in a foreign language

Irish isn't foreign enough? Hell, most people in Ireland can't speak more than a few sentences of it ;)

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    RubberAC wrote: »
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

Yeah Sigur Ros make this kind of ... beautiful music. Only it tends to be more instrumental and less vocal-based. At least their new stuff is.

I've heard. I'm really looking for something a lot more vocal and a lot less abstract. There is such a thing, isn't there? This is a longer thread than I thought it would be.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    yourspaceholidayyourspaceholiday Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    yourspaceholiday on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I dont normally listen to this kind of thing unless I happen to be in creative mode. Metal just isn't something I can listen to while writing. *shrug*

But yes. Choral music. Hanshoo1 nailed it pretty much. Although Lorena Mckennit is, from the looks of it, not what I'm looking for at all.

Enya is much much closer, but I really would prefer something in a foreign language (and something more somber - I'm looking for hopeful rather than inspiring). German or perhaps Russian would be great (Or at least eastern-European). I might add that Origa is awesome, but I cant find anything she's done except collabs with Yoko Kanno for Stand Alone Complex.

I can sit down and start drawing with pantera on and all I get on my paper is just angry shit. This kind of music opens up entire worlds in my minds eye. It's so weird.

Check out Anonymous 4 then. Its usually foreign, and nice and floaty. Great for meditative stuff. Also, Rajaton, is a Finnish vocal jazz group, which has some stuff like this.
    This is Dobbin's Flowery Vale, from their CD, Boundless.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXEoVw7ETKM
    I don't know what the heck is going on in the video though...

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png