Options

Fire Alarms

Fire-Lite MS-9200UDFire-Lite MS-9200UD Registered User regular
just wanted to see if anyone shares the same interest as me.

btw, i'm new here, so don't flame me.

also, yes i know about The Schumin Web forums, i'm already a member there(Hayabusa-1300).

i had a job with ADT for a while(very short, the guy there was anti-semetic; he fired me for being jewish.).

i'm trying to get a job with EST now(Edwards System Technologies), so i hope that goes good(if so, i want to change my username to EST3).

check my YouTube account, i have some fire alarm videos up there.

Fire-Lite MS-9200UD on

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    just wanted to see if anyone shares the same interest as me.

btw, i'm new here, so don't flame me.

also, yes i know about The Schumin Web forums, i'm already a member there(Hayabusa-1300).

i had a job with ADT for a while(very short, the guy there was anti-semetic; he fired me for being jewish.).

i'm trying to get a job with EST now(Edwards System Technologies), so i hope that goes good(if so, i want to change my username to EST3).

check my YouTube account, i have some fire alarm videos up there.

There are some questions here that pop up for general security stuff but not much fire stuff. Given the licensing requirements, most people don't want to touch it.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    darkenedwingdarkenedwing Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, ADT has to be one of, if not the worst, fire/security companies ever. Their work is always horrible, at best.
    My dad owns his own Fire alarm/Security System/Camera surveillance company, and has been in business for almost 9 years now.
    Example:
    His work:
    305_Installation%20by%20Gary.JPG
    ADTs work:
    295_Poor_Installation.JPG

He installs systems all over our county, and has installed or redone the fire/security system in almost every school in our county, and has installled camera systems in most of the schools too.

I hae worked installing the fire systems at the schools and holy hell it is not fun. And we do the whole thing with only 2-3 people. You have to pull At least 20,000 ft of cable through the pipes, and most are a mess if it there was a preexisting job. At least twice he even encountered bats living in the attics of the schools :/

darkenedwing on
    image.php?type=sigpic&userid=29216&dateline=1296970870
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ADT tends to be some what hit or miss. Given their structure you sometimes get very good installers and sometimes you get very awful installers.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Fire-Lite MS-9200UDFire-Lite MS-9200UD Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    sorry for posting late, but i've been really busy applying for that technician's job at EST, but i think my application keeps getting destroyed... ADT has friends in every company out there. tyco mainly owns ADT, but ADT likes to be independent of ANYONE. they use System Sensor's(Honeywell subsidiary) pull stations, GE's/Edwards'/EST's notification appliances, as well as Simplex, Wheelock, Gentex, Amseco, Federal Signal, and more(too many to type... i hafta be up at 7:00 tomorrow... Bat Mitzvah's suck sometimes...).

by the way, speaking of Gentex, i actually own a little bit of stock in Gentex.

another thing, here's links to pics of my alarms in my collection(not my pics, though) :

Wheelock RSSP
    Wheelock WM3T(no link... couldn't find a pic)
    Gentex Commander 4(mine is the white one)
    Simplex TrueAlert... i don't have this one, mine is actually audible. this is a strobe-only unit.
    Wheelock 34T... this one happens to be re-branded by Honeywell. mine isn't.
    Simplex 4903-9252... i have the electromechanical version of this, the 4903-9217
    this is a Simplex 4099-9003, but mine is a 4099-9001 which doesn't have the "push" flap on it
    Fulleon CX... the only thing i have from the UK.
    System Sensor MASS2475ADAB(again, no linky, no pic...e...)
    WLSE PLH/24-SR... homemade alarm. and, as it says on my DevArt page, i will sell these(they're getting better looking as i further design them and re-design them.)

Fire-Lite MS-9200UD on
  • Options
    samroxsamrox Registered User new member
    edited November 2009
    Home - Security is one of the most important security issues if you ask me. There is nowhere you spend most of the time of your private life. Your home is your castle and it should be a safe and secure one without risk of killing yourself or the ones you love and share a home with. Keeping your home safe by preventing it from burning down is the most important issue of home security. There is nothing more often appearing in newspapers than such topics.

samrox on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, I can't wait for IP cameras to come down in price. Installing your own and powering it with only cat5 which doesn't need anything special? Oh god yes.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    Oh man, I can't wait for IP cameras to come down in price. Installing your own and powering it with only cat5 which doesn't need anything special? Oh god yes.

They've come down in price. D-Link and Vivotek have some in the $125 to $150 range. They are pretty terrible but they are out there. Given the move to more and more megapixels and H.264, I wouldn't expect to see much drop in the prices on the high end. And running Cat5 isn't any easier then running Siamese co-ax. If you drop a few bucks on compression crimps it's actually easier to run the co-ax.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2009
    I meant in reference to cameras that need an electrical line to draw power from, thats work I would need an electrician for. I can run cat 5.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited November 2009
    I meant in reference to cameras that need an electrical line to draw power from, thats work I would need an electrician for. I can run cat 5.

It's low voltage work. 24v AC or 12v DC. It's not dangerous and most jurisdictions don't require a license to do that kind of work. Or you could just use baluns and still string Cat5. Analog video signal and power over Cat5. Powered baluns allow you to go well beyond 333ft.

Thomamelas on