As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Crock Pot!

Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright guys, I'm a single 20-something male. I love to cook, but I don't have the ambition to do it often unless I'm going to be eating with other people. For those regular days I will eat crap instead of actually making a meal. So, to remedy that I got a 6qt. crock pot and have been making mass quantities of food to freeze and eat throughout the week.

And now I need some goddamn delicious recipes.

So, H/A, hit me with some awesome crock pot recipes that I can make in large quantities and reheat throughout the week.

Uncle Long on

• Options
    meekermeeker Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Whole chicken. Thaw. Rub in spices. Let cook for 5+hours.

I like a cayenne or lemon pepper rub.

Pot roast. Light flour. Sear in pan. Potatos, carrots, onion. 5+hours again.

Chili. Kidney beans. Brown ground beef. Tomato sauce. Corn. Chili packet. 3 hours should be good there.

meeker on
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    How much of an effort are you willing to put in? I can suggest some awesome curry recipes and all that sort of thing. Stews are really easy to make as well and require less effort.

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Be wary of delicious stock/bullion based recipies as the sodium is through the roof.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chicken parts, whatever your prefer. Jar o' your favorite salsa (The "o' " makes it ethnic). A cup of water, and follow your crock pots directions to ensure cooked chicken. Shred the chicken, and enjoy at your leisure! My wife, who can cook good stuff, introduced this to me, and it's a winner every time.

chromdom on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    TaGuelle wrote: »
    How much of an effort are you willing to put in? I can suggest some awesome curry recipes and all that sort of thing. Stews are really easy to make as well and require less effort.

I love to cook, and know how to do it well. It's just that when it's only me my motivation to do so really just dies away. So, if I'm only going to cook once or twice a week I'd rather make a mass quantity of food so that I have easy meals to freeze and reheat throughout the week, so I don't go and just eat a bunch of crap in place of a meal.

But, for the time spent actually preparing the food I wouldn't have a problem putting in substantial effort, and there isn't really anything that's beyond my scope as a cook. The problem is going to be getting ingredients for any sort of exotic dish.

Keep in mind that I live on a small Alaskan island in the Pacific (middle of nowhere) so specialty spices and the likes may be hard to come by. Still suggest those things though, the store has surprised me more than once with a rare oddity that I never thought they would have had.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chili is always a welcome addition with a crock pot.

1 16 oz can kidney beans -- drained
    2 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes
    2 pounds ground chuck -- coarsely ground
    2 medium onions -- coarsely chopped
    1 green pepper -- coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- crushed
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    salt to taste

Put all ingredients in crock pot in order listed. Stir once. Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours. (High 5-6 hours).

Serve with some Shredded Chedder Cheese and Tortilla Chips.

Your home or apartment will smell awesome for the duration of the cooking.

You can add additional types of beans to this recipe for a more filling chili.

Edit: I forgot, 2 teaspoons of cayanne pepper too for some extra heat if you like it spicy.

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    TaGuelleTaGuelle Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well there is a great curry dish I know.

Ingredients:

2.5-3 pounds of chicken, beef, or pork, cubed
    Yogurt, 8 cups
    A head of garlic
    2 onions
    conola oil
    stick of butter
    two cans of tomatoes puree
    fresh coriander two bunches, choped up fine
    cinnamen 2 table spoons
    coriander seeds
    tamirand2 table spoons
    cumin 3 tablespoons
    tumeric 3 table spoons
    garam masala 12 table spoons
    bay leaves 4
    a hand full of ginger
    a handfull of chopped almonds

You combine the garlic, 3/4 of the yogurt, the meat and the garam masala together and let sit in a bowl

in a large pot heat up about 1 cup of oil and throw into it the bayleaves, the coriander seeds the almonds, and the ginger. let that fry for about 3 minutes and throw in all the rest of the spices with half of the butter and the onion. let that fry together for about 12 minutes.

throw in the meat to that with two table spoons of salt and and two table spoons of pepper. cook it for a long while till it cooks

little by little after the meat is cooked add the cans of tomatos and the yogurt. you should pretty much have three successive rounds of tomatos and yogurt. the goal is to let it reduce as it goes. so when it gets to the consistency you want, add the next round.

once the yogurt and the tomatos are fully added, throw in the remaining butter and the chopped up corainder. stir for about 5 minutes and voila

TaGuelle on
  • Options
    Judge-ZJudge-Z Teacher, for Great Justice Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Here's a barbecue beef recipe that a coworker makes that is absolutely incredible. I'm blatantly ripping off the website where the recipe is posted. Freezes and reheats well.

* 2 1/2 to 3 lbs lean chuck roast or bottom round
    * 1 1/2 cups ketchup
    * 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    * 1/4 cup wine vinegar
    * 2 tablespoons spicy mustard or Dijon
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 1 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Preparation:
    Place beef roast in crockpot. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over roast. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours. Remove roast, shred meat. Place shredded meat back in crockpot; stir to coat well. Spoon barbecued beef onto toasted sandwich buns and serve with extra sauce, if desired.

You also can't go wrong with soups if you get yourself a soup pot, make and freeze soups. You can make them as hearty as stew so they'll actually fill you up. Here's a favorite of mine...

1 qt low sodium beef stock/broth (there's a really good organic brand the name of which name I forget)
    1 qt water, plus more to be added as needed while simmering
    Garlic to taste, minced or crushed
    Small amount of olive oil
    1lb stew beef
    About 4 full size carrots, or 15-20 baby carrots, sliced.
    3-4 small to medium sized potatoes, cubed
    Two stalks of celery, sliced
    Parsley to taste
    Frozen peas
    small onion (optional)
    1/4 cup of barley
    salt and pepper to taste

Add touch of oil to soup pot. Heat. Throw garlic in and sautee until it starts to jump. Add beef, stirring frequently until browned and starting to cook through, then add onions. Stir. Immediately after adding onions, add beef stock and water, bring to a light boil. Add barley. Reduce heat to a low simmer. Start timer for about 45 minutes to an hour. After starting the timer, add potatoes, parsley, celery and carrots and stir from the bottom to mix everything together. Stir occasionally, add water, salt and fresh pepper as needed to keep the soup at the consistency and flavor you want (more stew like, less water, more soup-like, add more). Add the frozen peas about 15 minutes before you're done. Serve with whatever your favorite kind of fresh bread is. Bonus - your house/apartment complex will smell delicious! This will make several good sized servings (4-8, depending on your appetite) and refrigerates and freezes well, though you may need to add a touch of water before reheating to keep the consistency. This takes just a little more work than some crock pot recipes, but then you're set for several meals.

Judge-Z on
    JudgeZed.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Chili is always a welcome addition with a crock pot.

1 16 oz can kidney beans -- drained
    2 14 1/2 oz can tomatoes
    2 pounds ground chuck -- coarsely ground
    2 medium onions -- coarsely chopped
    1 green pepper -- coarsely chopped
    2 cloves garlic -- crushed
    3 tablespoons chili powder
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon cumin
    salt to taste

Put all ingredients in crock pot in order listed. Stir once. Cover and cook on Low 10-12 hours. (High 5-6 hours).

Serve with some Shredded Chedder Cheese and Tortilla Chips.

Your home or apartment will smell awesome for the duration of the cooking.

You can add additional types of beans to this recipe for a more filling chili.

Edit: I forgot, 2 teaspoons of cayanne pepper too for some extra heat if you like it spicy.

Alright, I'm doing this tomorrow. I've officially taken two pounds of mooseburger out of my freezer to thaw overnight.

Edit: Awesome stuff guys. I'm putting this all down in my recipe book.

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    we have a recipe book called not your mothers crock pot recipes or something to that extent. highly recomended, lots of good stuff in there

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Get a pork tenderloin. Cover it liberally with brown sugar and worcestershire sauce. Leave it in the crock pot for 4-5 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.

Once you've had your fill of sliced pork tenderloin, tear the meat apart into small chunks and cover it with a bottle of bbq sauce. Now you can have shredded BBQ pork sandwiches for the rest of the week.

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    kilroydoskilroydos Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Chicken (whole or cut up) and a large portion of your favorite teriyaki sauce. Makes a lot of food, and is great for lettuce wraps or over rice.

kilroydos on
  • Options
    Sheep Have WoolSheep Have Wool Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    • 1.25-1.5 lbs chicken - I use tenders or breasts.
    • 1/4 cup Italian dressing
    • 1/4 cup sugar
    • 1 bottle non crap BBQ sauce. Don't go with the cheap stuff here.

Combine ingredients, stir. Cook on medium-low 5-6 hours.

This is recipe is both extremely fantastic and simple. While it might not seem like much, I've had a ton of people tell me it's the best BBQ-style chicken they've ever had. It requires all of 2 minutes to prepare.

Sheep Have Wool on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    So the chili turned out really well. I ended up using moose meat instead of hamburger.

Anyone got some good ideas for a ham?

Uncle Long on
  • Options
    ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jerk

6-8 scallions
    1 medium onion
    1 to 2 Scotch bonnet or Habanero peppers seeded and minced
    2/3 cup of soy sauce
    ½ cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    2 Tablespoons of FRESH thyme
    1 teaspoon whole cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
    ½ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
    1 tablespoon ground allspice
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Place all ingredients in a food processor. Process for 10 to 15 seconds at high speed.

is excellent.

make that, and cook any meat with it.

ManonvonSuperock on
  • Options
    tony_importanttony_important Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »
    So the chili turned out really well. I ended up using moose meat instead of hamburger.

moose meat chili sounds fucking AWESOME.

my girlfriend made posole the other night in the slow cooker.

it was really really good.

DSC02376.jpg

see?

tony_important on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Uncle Long wrote: »

moose meat chili sounds fucking AWESOME.

my girlfriend made posole the other night in the slow cooker.

it was really really good.

DSC02376.jpg

see?

It was goddamn delicious.

Speaking of goddamn delicious, that looks goddamn delicious.

Also: jerk recipe has been duly noted. I've got about another three meals worth of chili left over still (I had people over the night I made it otherwise I would have more in my freezer) but after I get down to that last dish I'll do up the ham.

Uncle Long on