As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

8 Year old Murderers

BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
In case you have been living under a rock this past week. Quick CNN write up

So an eight year old kid in Arizona is being charged with murder. He allegedly shot his father and his fathers roomate with a 22. He confessed to officers that he was the one that shot them, but only after interrogation. The kicker here is that he is charged on two counts of premeditated murder.

You think this kid did it?

You think it was Premeditated? Are 8 year olds capable of premeditated murder?

If he did do it, and if the forensic evidence report is correct he did do it, then what should they do with the kid? Prison for the rest of his life? Counseling and therapy till he is 25?

Is there such a thing as inherently evil, can this kid be saved?

The complication I see is this: it was reported to be a 22 caliber weapon. I don't know too much about being shot, but I do know what a 22 bullet looks like. You have to be a pretty damn good shot to get a kill hit with a 22 caliber. Now do it twice, on men 3 times your own size. That is pretty amazing. It could not have been accidental.

Although it could not have been accidental, Murder in the first degree for an 8 year old is pretty crazy to think about. All the bad consequences from my actions at 8 years old were not my intention. Can a child that young rationalize that he hates his dad, never wants to see him again and therefore will shoot him down? I am skeptical. I have worked with many 8 year olds, and it seems apparent to me that their actions are mostly driven by emotion, not rational thought.

Needless to say, I am interested in the outcome of this story. Post your thoughts and feelings.

Buddies on

• Options
    ÆthelredÆthelred Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Ages of criminal responsibility by country

The following are the minimum ages at which children are subject to penal law.

Mexico - 6
    United States - 6
    Every Other Civilised Country What the Fuck America - Much higher than 6

edit: Apparently most states don't even have a minimum age - like Arizona, where this case took place.

Æthelred on
    pokes: 1505 8032 8399
  • Options
    TostitosTostitos __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    You're using 9/11 truther logic.

Despite not knowing anything scientific about ballistics, the human body, guns, or intersections of those subjects like statistics on .22 shooting deaths, you still manage to come to a conclusion- one you firmly say "could not" be any other way.

If people like you didn't exist, we wouldn't have to put up with pyramid schemes, bogus health food supplements, and those little cell-phone holograms. Hey, you have an opinion based on how something appears to you- and that means you know what you're talking about.

I'm not saying that the conclusion is wrong, I'm just saying you're right because the odds were 50% that you would decide it was accidental vs not accidental and you lucked out.
    I don't know too much about being shot, but I do know what a 22 bullet looks like.

^ we start to veer off the road
    You have to be a pretty damn good shot to get a kill hit with a 22 caliber.

^ and there we are showing everyone how little we know about what we are talking about.

Tostitos on
    The internet gives me a native +2 bonus in Craft (Disturbing Mental Image).
  • Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Caught some of the police interview on Fox News when I got home today. Creepy as fuck.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Buddies wrote: »

I don't agree with your question. The correct one would be "Is this 8 year old capable of premeditated murder?" and the courts would be those to find out. Generalizations on the capabilities of an individual because of age are absolutely useless if they don't allow for exceptions.
    If he did do it, and if the forensic evidence report is correct he did do it, then what should they do with the kid? Prison for the rest of his life? Counseling and therapy till he is 25? Is there such a thing as inherently evil, can this kid be saved?

Fuck no, I don't want him "saved". I have no problem with getting him in special care and prison after majority for life and I have no problem with counseling and rehabilitation programs that could see him back in school in 10 years, but I certainly don't want somebody "saving him" just because of his age.
    I hadn't heard about this case, I seriously doubt it's the first and my guess is it would be no different than any other criminal justice murder case, which is something I approve of.

zeeny on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Didn't he confess to reloading between shots, too? How do two adult men get shot multiple times by an eight year old wielding a firearm that requires reloading? Wouldn't at least the second adult not being shot yet have the sense to get the fuck out of dodge?

Halfmex on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I see no reason why a child of 8 isn't capable of premeditated murder. Are they able to establish "wow I hate people" and "wow I wish I could do something to the people I hate"? I think so, at 8 anyways.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    "If you squeeze me I make bad people go away!"

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So I guess they've still not determined whether or not this kid was abused, eh? I remember reading that they were looking into that, but I hadn't read any follow-ups since then.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Apparently the kid's original "confession" was that he shot them because when he got home, they were already shot and he wanted to end their suffering.

Stay classy Arizona D:

Ganluan on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Well that would at least explain how he was able to shoot two grown men without either of them stopping him or at least fleeing the area. Naturally it sounds shady, but that's still the hardest part of the story for me to swallow.

Halfmex on
  • Options
    AstraphobiaAstraphobia Lightning Bolt! Lightning Bolt! Root! Sleep! Death!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I can't wait for this to get made into a Law & Order episode.

Astraphobia on
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    zeeny wrote: »

I don't agree with your question. The correct one would be "Is this 8 year old capable of premeditated murder?" and the courts would be those to find out. Generalizations on the capabilities of an individual because of age are absolutely useless if they don't allow for exceptions.
    If he did do it, and if the forensic evidence report is correct he did do it, then what should they do with the kid? Prison for the rest of his life? Counseling and therapy till he is 25? Is there such a thing as inherently evil, can this kid be saved?

Fuck no, I don't want him "saved". I have no problem with getting him in special care and prison after majority for life and I have no problem with counseling and rehabilitation programs that could see him back in school in 10 years, but I certainly don't want somebody "saving him" just because of his age.
    I hadn't heard about this case, I seriously doubt it's the first and my guess is it would be no different than any other criminal justice murder case, which is something I approve of.

Isn't the purpose of the prison system rehabilitation?* Shouldn't an 8 year-old be a perfect candidate for that rehabilitation?

*Oh wait, not here in the good ol' USA, where we would lock up an 8 year-old for fucking life at the drop of a hat.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state an absolute - no 8 year-old is capable of completely and totally understanding the ramifications and consequences of an act of this magnitude. It would be complete and total barbarism to lock him up for the rest of his life. Also the police questioned him w/o any sort of parental or lawyer representation, and didn't read him his rights? Boneheaded.

Also, on the "how did he do it?" front - maybe the two men were so unbelievably drunk that they were unable to respond?

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'd wait until we find out his actual motive before taking any stances.

There are quite a few reasons for a child to want to put a pair of adults in the grave.

Say if they were NAMBLA members.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    tsmvengy wrote: »

Isn't the purpose of the prison system rehabilitation?* Shouldn't an 8 year-old be a perfect candidate for that rehabilitation?

*Oh wait, not here in the good ol' USA, where we would lock up an 8 year-old for fucking life at the drop of a hat.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and state an absolute - no 8 year-old is capable of completely and totally understanding the ramifications and consequences of an act of this magnitude. It would be complete and total barbarism to lock him up for the rest of his life. Also the police questioned him w/o any sort of parental or lawyer representation, and didn't read him his rights? Boneheaded.

Also, on the "how did he do it?" front - maybe the two men were so unbelievably drunk that they were unable to respond?

Society's consequences have little to do with understanding murder. (Edit: in the this thing causes harm, I don't like that person, I wish to cause them harm with this thing sort of logic; they may not understand consequences in our society of murder, but they do understand that their action will result in death, and I'm sure they've been told hurting people is bad by 8; I hope) I'd wonder if a child of 8 years old is capable of being sufficiently rehabilitated where he could function with lapsing back into the thought process of killing is the solution to some problem.

Is the jailing system of other countries not the same as ours? And likewise, a jail system that works on "rehabilitation" could be taken advantage of by, would it not? It may not be the kids fault, but I have little sympathy for people who pay the "I'm just fucking crazy" card or "there's no way someone like that could do something so barbaric."

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Are 8 year olds capable of premeditated murder?
    My six year old niece has gone hunting with her father and killed things, so I'm gonna say yes.

I'd wait for the evidence to be brought forth before deciding whether or not the kid needs saving.

Quid on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    The complication I see is this: it was reported to be a 22 caliber weapon. I don't know too much about being shot, but I do know what a 22 bullet looks like. You have to be a pretty damn good shot to get a kill hit with a 22 caliber.
    .22 caliber pistols were the chosen weapon for CIA and Mafia hit people for a long time.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Fallout2manFallout2man Vault Dweller Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Officially speaking an eight year old doesn't have ANY Miranda rights. The law treats minors as a sort of "special" property owned by their parents, similar to how a pet can be owned but you can't beat your dog to death (in most states.)

The court system however can make exceptions and declare a minor an adult for the purposes of trial, although again not without some exemptions (You can't really get a Jury of what you'd really consider your peers when you're underage.)

Backwards much? Damn skippy.

Fallout2man on
    On Ignorance:
    Kana wrote:
    If the best you can come up with against someone who's patently ignorant is to yell back at him, "Yeah? Well there's BOOKS, and they say you're WRONG!"

Then honestly you're not coming out of this looking great either.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I struggle to find the relevance of your post to mine, so, if you could tell me why you quoted me, I could probably reply better.

As for your own post:
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and state an absolute - no 8 year-old is capable of completely and totally understanding the ramifications and consequences of an act of this magnitude.

You probably should look up the definition of premeditated murder. It's way more simple to satisfy than you imagine.
    It would be complete and total barbarism to lock him up for the rest of his life.

Well, locking somebody up for the rest of his/her life may be complete and total barbarism, but it just so happens that it's part of our penalty system.
    Also the police questioned him w/o any sort of parental or lawyer representation, and didn't read him his rights?

I don't have an idea if that's true or not and I honestly don't care. If it is, it may come up during the trial and bring bonus points to the defense, good for him. Sloppy police work is rarely rewarding to prosecutors.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    The complication I see is this: it was reported to be a 22 caliber weapon. I don't know too much about being shot, but I do know what a 22 bullet looks like. You have to be a pretty damn good shot to get a kill hit with a 22 caliber.
    .22 caliber pistols were the chosen weapon for CIA and Mafia hit people for a long time.

Because they are very good for a very specific method of execution. I really doubt an eight-year-old knows to fire a .22 into the base of the skull from behind with the victim looking down. Just point-and-shoot a hit with a .22 should rarely be fatal if treated promptly.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Because they are very good for a very specific method of execution. I really doubt an eight-year-old knows to fire a .22 into the base of the skull from behind with the victim looking down. Just point-and-shoot a hit with a .22 should rarely be fatal if treated promptly.

What about multiple shots?

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's because they're concealable, easily silenced and can use subsonic bullets, not because they're deadlier than larger caliber pistols.

edit: beaten by Salv

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I find it suspicious that an 8 year old gets his hands on a gun and ammo (which are supposed to be stored separately and locked). Also, why would he want to kill these two men? Was he abused? If you treat your kid like shit and leave loaded weapons lying around your all kinds of stupid.

I think its very possible for an 8 year old to commit premeditated murder. He might not understand the consequences but that doesn't mean he didn't plan and carry it out.

One thing I will say: If you're going to give him a full trial and all the rest then you can't not read him his rights and question him without counsel. That confession is the first thing that is going to be thrown out. If they have ballistics, fingerprints, gun powder residue and motive then they are welcome to make their case against him.

If the kid did indeed do it then we have a problem. There is no rehabilitation system in place for 8 year old's to my knowledge. I have zero faith in the governments ability to raise a child, but I don't see as there is much of a choice, if we let him off with a slap on the wrists he might kill again.

Dman on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

I'm familiar with the reasons they were used. I was just pointing out that they obviously aren't the firearm equivalent of safety scissors if they've been used for assassination purposes.

As far as the how, if you're a kid shooting a sleeping adult, are you going to shoot for the knees? No, you're going to go to the thing that's recognizably human (the head/face) and shoot that. Until we learn more, there's no reason this isn't 100% plausible, and we should get the facts before we start jumping to conclusions.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2008
    I think that anyone capable of murder of this sort is broken. There's "insanity" in the manner of not knowing what you're doing, and there's "insanity" in the manner of being so fucked up that you can kill someone in cold blood.

Ideally, we'd take murderers and rehabilitate them to make them not-murderers. Maybe it's not possible with most grown-ups. But I think it's likely possible with an 8 year old kid, someone who's young enough as to be malleable and impressionable. Whatever the details of this case, the kid needs to go into therapy. If he can be reformed, he should be. And if he hits 18 and still hasn't been "fixed", stick him in prison.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    DmanDman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think there is a lesson to be learned from this at the very least. Guns are deadly weapons, you should not have them in the same house as a child. An 8 year old shouldn't be able to get his hands on one.

When you have a kid, stop hunting, get rid of all your guns, and spend quality time with your kid playing soccer or catch.

The whole gun culture is ridiculous.

Dman on
  • Options
    taerictaeric Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    Dman wrote: »
    I think there is a lesson to be learned from this at the very least. Guns are deadly weapons, you should not have them in the same house as a child. An 8 year old shouldn't be able to get his hands on one.

When you have a kid, stop hunting, get rid of all your guns, and spend quality time with your kid playing soccer or catch.

That seems to be a bit of a leap. I mean, I'd wager a guess that the number of households with 8 year olds that still safely have guns is much much much larger than those that even remotely resemble this case.

taeric on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Did I read correctly that people are saying an eight year old child has no ability to be rehabilitated?

1. Empathy is a learned skill.
    2. Children have little to no neurological capacity for empathy.
    3. Children have a limited concept of anything beyond "me"
    4. Scariest though, children to teenagers are like little miniature sociopaths until they develop a healthy concept of empathy.

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    I think that anyone capable of murder of this sort is broken. There's "insanity" in the manner of not knowing what you're doing, and there's "insanity" in the manner of being so fucked up that you can kill someone in cold blood.

But murders by children this young are almost always the result of abuse. I mean, if you were eight and someone abused you and you had been watching too many action movies you might think, eh! this will fix my problems. Plus how is an eight year old gonna reasonably get help out of such a situation?

was probably the easiest solution to an eight year old mind.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

Guns are tools. You don't need to get rid of them entirely because you have a child, you just need to take proper precautions. I don't think you would advocate carpenters to no longer have skill saws in their home, would you?

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • Options
    SarcastroSarcastro Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    That's because they're concealable, easily silenced and can use subsonic bullets, not because they're deadlier than larger caliber pistols.

edit: beaten by Salv

I thought they were the weapon of choice because at close range, they have enough force to penetrate the skull, but not enough to exit, causing the bullet to ricochet off of the interior of the skull and frappe one's brain, preventing any possible recovery.

Accidental shootings with a .22 are rarely fatal, to my understanding, because anything other than a perpendicular, close range impact will glance off of skull and bone, and shots to the body are much like being stabbed with an icepick; after the intial entry the bullet is slowed enough to allow the minute shifting of the organs, the body's natural defense against penetrative blows, lessening the odds of vital rupture.

Multiple or specifically targeted shots to the body are generally required, and since head shots must be delivered at close range with an extremely obvious and short line of sight, it wouldn't be hard to immediately declare intent.

Or so the learnings indicate; correct me if Im wrong, guns aren't really my forte.

Sarcastro on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »

But murders by children this young are almost always the result of abuse. I mean, if you were eight and someone abused you and you had been watching too many action movies you might think, eh! this will fix my problems. Plus how is an eight year old gonna reasonably get help out of such a situation?

Right. Which means he's broken. And we should try to fix him.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oh, I thought it was awful heartless of you to say he's broken and lock him up forever. :P
    Which you obviously didn't say.

• Options
    edited November 2008

If someone lives with you and wants to kill you, it doesn't much matter whether you have guns or not. He can kill you. Easily. He could've waited until his dad was asleep and then stabbed him in the throat with a knife.

Guns should be kept out of childen's hands because the chance of an accident is high. Not because the kid may actually go psycho and execute you.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008

I am saying that he probably was not "broken". He was probably pretty reasonable for an eight year old. I seriously doubt this was "cold blooded".

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Oh, I thought it was awful heartless of you to say he's broken and lock him up forever. :P
    Which you obviously didn't say.

Right. Well, I feel he should be held indefinitely until such a time until he's no longer a threat. If that happens to be forever, then so be it. But I doubt that would be the case in most circumstances.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    I don't really see an eight year old as a threat ever.

• Options
    edited November 2008

I am saying that he probably was not "broken". He was probably pretty reasonable for an eight year old. I seriously doubt this was "cold blooded".

See, I define murder as being the action of a fundamentally broken person. I mean, maybe if it comes out that the father was beating him daily and he'd talked to his mom and talked to outside authorities and nobody would help him and so he resorted to murder, fine. That'd be different. But unless he'd exhausted every other avenue, the fact that he would consider murder as a solution means the kid's fucked up. One way or another, he needs years of therapy.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Clearly you've never been to a pre-adolescent birthday party.

ElJeffe on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Well, that's naive. There is no reason to conclude that all 8 year olds lack the capability of rational thought and/or irrational behavior.

zeeny on
  • Options
    edited November 2008

Clearly you've never been to a pre-adolescent birthday party.
    Or coached T-ball.

OptimusZed on