As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

How Do I Get Tree Sap Off My Windshield?

QuidQuid Definitely not a bananaRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
This shit's on it in a few different places. Is there a solvent or special method, or do I just have to scrub like all fuck with a rough sponge?

Quid on

• Options
    ProPatriaMoriProPatriaMori Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I think I've used a razor in one of the little special holders. Like peeling off a sticker, only it's sap.

ProPatriaMori on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    http://www.usautoparts.net/bmw/repairs/detailing/tree_sap.htm
    To remove the tree sap from your vehicle's surface, you can use finger nail polish remover on a cotton ball. After the sap is removed, make a paste of water and baking soda to wash the affected area, then apply wax.

Another method to remove the sap is to use mineral sprits (it will also remove tar). Use a soft, terry towel, or wash cloth dampened with mineral sprits. After removal, wash the car and apply wax to the affected area.

Tree sap can also be removed by using a water-soluble paint brush cleaner. A common household solution is bacon grease or lard. Just rub it on, and off comes the sap. To get tree sap off of your hands, simply rub mayonnaise on them and wash it off. To remove tree sap and other substances, you can use common solvents like lighter fluid, rubbing alcohol, WD-40 or even Skin-So-Soft bath oil.

Glaeal on
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I suggest a two pronged assault.

Do you own a heat gun? Maybe even a strong blow dryer?

You should be able to heat it up and gently scrape some off with somthing thin like a spatula.

Then I think acetone(nail polish remover) or mineral spirits should get the rest off. Carefully swab it on and then remove. I would try and keep it away from the seals on the glass. I'm not sure if that would do anything bad to them.

JebusUD on
    and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Admittedly I don't know of a specific remedy for tree sap but a general rule with stick stuff that wont come off is boil some water pour it on said sticky stuff then try going at it with an ice scraper. I'd be surprised if that didn't work.

Casual on