As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Military etiquette question

YourFatAuntSusanYourFatAuntSusan Registered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
As a current non-member, is it proper to address a serving member by their rank if speaking to them professionally? (not casually)

ie: "Hello, Corporal Smith. My name is John and I'm phoning today regarding etc etc..."

My Google-fu has failed me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
YourFatAuntSusan on

• Options
    muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I have always used Rank - Last Name system of nomenclature when dealing with Army and NG personel in a professional setting, and I have seen others do so as well.

muninn on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Its' their title, so in my experience, I can't go wrong doing it though usually officers I speak to put me on a first name basis. If you want to direct your google-fu, I would do searches for the protocol departments of each branch. Feel free to call a protocol officer, too.

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    For officers, I'd say yes.

As for enlisted... would you be speaking to them in regards to some aspect of their service? If so, then it'd probably be good etiquette to refer to them by their rank. But, honestly, most enlisted people won't really care either way (unless they're al ate up).

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    i n c u b u si n c u b u s Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I work in a government facility that has a lot of active duty members and we are always to adress them by their rank. Hell my dad works with me (waaaaay above me I should say) and even though he's retired people still refer to him as ltc so and so.

i n c u b u s on
    Platinum FC: 4941 2152 0041
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes, when speaking to a service member professionally it is expected that you refer to them by rank. Some may tell you to refer to them by first name after, but this is the appropriate starting point.

Also if you'll be doing this often you may want to look up the specific rules regarding addressing different ranks as they vary by branch. I don't think anybody would ever get pissed off if you simply go by Rank+Name, but there are some instances where using full rank isn't technically proper...for instance, I think Warrant Officers go by "Mr. Such and Such" rather than "Chief Warrant Officer Such and Such." Or that mid-level sergeants in the Army (SSG, SFC) go simply by "Sergeant Dudeguy" whereas in the Marines you always use full rank.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Richard_DastardlyRichard_Dastardly Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    whereas in the Marines you always use full rank.

I hate that shit. Look, dude, I had a hard enough time memorizing my own service's rank structure. I'm sure as hell not gonna spend my time learning yours as well. Marines. Gah! Am I right?

Op: Are you gonna be dealing with one service in particular, or the whole spectrum of services?

Richard_Dastardly on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    mcdermott wrote: »
    whereas in the Marines you always use full rank.

I hate that shit. Look, dude, I had a hard enough time memorizing my own service's rank structure. I'm sure as hell not gonna spend my time learning yours as well. Marines. Gah! Am I right?

Op: Are you gonna be dealing with one service in particular, or the whole spectrum of services?

Man, really the Marines are pretty easy, because they're mostly the same. But Air Force? I was stuck on an Air Base and still never bothered to learn that shit...all funky-ass names and shit was all upside down and shit.

EDIT: Also, I'll just point out that as incubus said it's actually appropriate to refer even to retired service members by rank. Less common, but appropriate.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i pretty much just did it with sgt. and up

calling privates by their rank always seemed weird to me

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    i pretty much just did it with sgt. and up

calling privates by their rank always seemed weird to me

Yeah, sucks for them at the other end as well...they don't need yet another reminder that they're at the bottom of the shit-hill.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It also depends on the service. In the Air Force, we're much less rank conscious. The Army on the other hand is SUPER rank conscious, to the point where I've had people not talk to me because I'm "subordinate" to them. pfft.

Anyways, yes, Warrant Officers go by "Mr." or "Chief" if they're a Chief.

In the AF enlisted ranks, anything below Staff Sgt is "Airman", Staff, Technical, and Master Sergeant are usually just "Sergeant" while Senior Master Sgt and Chief Master Sgt can be called "Senior" or "Chief" respectively (though "senior" is much less common, I usually just say Sergeant).

And yes, various different services having different enlisted names is silly I agree.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    It depends on the branch and the person, I hate when people not in the military call me by my rank.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Really? Any particular reason? I think it shows that they care a little more, and took the time to learn what i means at least on the surface. That's just me though.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    Well I am an airman so when people in uniform call me that it is either in an office settings out of formality or it is when I am getting yelled at.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Ah...I can see that. I guess I'd just say don't take it the wrong way. :/
    I know what you mean though, some people make a point of saying the rank whenever they're speaking as a way of saying "I'm up here, you're down there." kinda thing. SO stupid.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I've had people I had business with use my rank and not use my rank(Sergeant of Marines). Either way, it didn't really bother me.

I think Officers, and maybe Sergeant Majors/Master Gunnery Sergeants, tend to like their rank being used more in official business.

M.D. on
  • Options
    RUNN1NGMANRUNN1NGMAN Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    At least in the Navy/CG, officers who are Lieutenant Commander and below should be addressed as "Mr." or "Ms." It's kind of condescending to call them by rank.

RUNN1NGMAN on
  • Options
    GlaealGlaeal Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RUNN1NGMAN wrote: »
    At least in the Navy/CG, officers who are Lieutenant Commander and below should be addressed as "Mr." or "Ms." It's kind of condescending to call them by rank.

By other members of the service, once you know them. If you're addressing someone for the first time, it's pretty much always proper to call them Rank Lastname.

Glaeal on