Options

Lots and lots of pee

WashWash Sweet ChristmasRegistered User regular
edited November 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
All weekend I've noticed I've felt the need to urinate more often than usual. Like, a lot more often. This has been getting progressively worse since probably tuesday, and this evening I've had to whizz 10 times within a 6 hour period. This is an absurd amount of times for me, considering I normally pee maybe 6 times a day total - maybe more or less, because really, who counts? Today I easily urinated twice my normal rate, with each pee somewhere between long and short (I could have filled a pitcher maybe half-way up, if not morem each time).

While I'm open to the possiblity this could be due to a change of diet on the weekends (I'm at home on the weekends, and living on campus during the week) because I drink more water at home, but I can't remember the last time I've had to pee this much. Even right now, I haven't had anything to drink in 3 hours, and I'm about to urinate for the 4th time since.

Aside from this, I'm not sick. I'm overweight, but have been for a long time, but aside from that and some back pain, I'm not in terrible health. H/A, what could possibly be going on?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
Wash on

• Options
    blue powderblue powder Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UTI? Is it at all painful to pass urine? Could be enlarged prostate, does it feel like there's a bit of urine still left over but you can't get it out after you pee?

blue powder on
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    UTI? Is it at all painful to pass urine? Could be enlarged prostate, does it feel like there's a bit of urine still left over but you can't get it out after you pee?

There's absolutely no pain, but it does kinda feel like there's a little urine left over. I'm 19, though; isn't enlarged prostate something that affects older men?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    increased urine production is a sign of the dreaded diabeeeetus, especially if you're overweight or have a family history of it. Considering how young you are I doubt it's prostate trouble. However diabetes tests are pretty simple, and if you nip it in the bud (IE lose weight and control blood sugar) it can be easier to control.

could be something else entirely of course

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

There's absolutely no pain, but it does kinda feel like there's a little urine left over. I'm 19, though; isn't enlarged prostate something that affects older men?

This happened to a friend of mine last year and turned out he had an enflamed (I believe, could have be enlarged or something else) prostate. He was at 19

bruin on
  • Options
    HlubockyHlubocky Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    If it doesn't clear up, I would definitely get it checked out. The tests for this stuff aren't pleasant (speaking from someone who has had scopes put in places that would make most men cringe), though the prostate one is not too bad. I have been in the same situation. It felt like a light switch was turned on... one day I felt fine, and the next I have to pee every hour. I have been dealing with it for a few years now, getting random tests done on and off, and so far there is nothing really wrong that any doctor can tell. It kind of sucks that I have to go every 2 hours, as you pretty much have to plan your life around it.

Hlubocky on
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    All weekend I've noticed I've felt the need to urinate more often than usual. Like, a lot more often. This has been getting progressively worse since probably tuesday, and this evening I've had to whizz 10 times within a 6 hour period. This is an absurd amount of times for me, considering I normally pee maybe 6 times a day total - maybe more or less, because really, who counts? Today I easily urinated twice my normal rate, with each pee somewhere between long and short (I could have filled a pitcher maybe half-way up, if not morem each time).

While I'm open to the possiblity this could be due to a change of diet on the weekends (I'm at home on the weekends, and living on campus during the week) because I drink more water at home, but I can't remember the last time I've had to pee this much. Even right now, I haven't had anything to drink in 3 hours, and I'm about to urinate for the 4th time since.

Aside from this, I'm not sick. I'm overweight, but have been for a long time, but aside from that and some back pain, I'm not in terrible health. H/A, what could possibly be going on?

Go see a doctor and get checked for type 2 diabetes just in case. the doctor will have you fast for a 12 hour period and then take a blood sample to send to a lab. its a fairly easy test and shouldn't cost you much even if you have basic health insurance.

diabetes makes you pee more as your body tries to get rid of excess sugar that insulin can't take care of. it will also make you tired and has a possibility for other symptoms

other than that, there is a chance of an enflamed or enlarged prostrate at 19 but it is a much easier and common test for diabetes.

bottom line: go see a doctor.

Dunadan019 on
  • Options
    TrusTrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Have you been really thirsty since you started peeing more? Obviously you would be drinking more water to replace the liquid lost, but have you been thirsty beyond that? If you have I think diabetes is a safe bet and you should get to a doctor.

Trus on
    qFN53.png
  • Options
    .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Another thing to consider is that it could be stress-related. Your body may have developed urination as a habitual response to some sort of anxiety.

Anyways, note not just the frequency of urination but the amount (hm, described generally, don't measure) of urine that's actually coming out during the pee parties. And report this to the doctor you should see.

.Tripwire. on
    sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
  • Options
    Tucanwarrior13Tucanwarrior13 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    excessive urination is a sign of early on-set diabetes.

Tucanwarrior13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well, lots of things cause more pissing. Lots of things are diuretics Caffeine and Alcohol are the ones I think are most common. Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out though, couple blood sugar tests and a urine sample will probably do it.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    HorusHorus Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    He mentions it occurs in the weekend, might be temperature change might make your bladder shiver? At my house I never pee the amount I do at work just cause I am right below the AC which makes me wanna go every 2 hours it was worse before until I started layering more. I do drink a lot of water about 1-1.5 liters a day so this is getting to be normal for me.

ps. Loosing weight increases pee too!

Horus on
    “You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...”
    ― Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Thanks for all the advice, fellas. I'll be going to see my doctor on Monday - which is a terrible wait, but it can't be helped - and will request to be tested for diabetes. There has been diabetes in my family, but it's not really running rampant in my gene pool. As one of you said, it could also be stress - exams are coming up, etc.

I noticed something else weird this morning - about a minute after I went to the bathroom I felt the urge to pee again. It was as close to immediate as you can get, and about as strong as my urge to pee minutes before, when my bladder was actually full. There was maybe one short jet of urine to come from this, but again - this time about eight minutes later - the urge returned. I feel like I've got to pee even when there's like nothing to pee out. Over the course of the day this has dampened - thankfully - but then I haven't eaten or drank anything since breakfast (which was when I'd peed twice in a row, and had by then peed 3 times having only been awake for 2.5 hours).

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    radroadkillradroadkill MDRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    It's also possible that it might be an early UTI; going to the doctor is probably the best bet for a definitive answer on anything, though, so yay for getting that set up!

Generally UTIs have other symptoms, and usually involve pain, and I know they are different in men and women but I actually ended up catching one early before any symptoms other than incessant peeing manifested.

radroadkill on
  • Options
    ZeonZeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Could also be a kidney stone. I had the same thing, to the point where i had to pee all the time, like an unbearable, painful urge to pee, but id go to pee and nothing would come out, or very very little.

About 2-3 days after this started happening, all of a sudden "OMG KNIFE IN MY BACK" sharp stabbing pain, and oh, out comes a kidney stone.

Doctor originally thought it was probably diabetes, turns out it wasnt.

I was about the same age as you. Bad news is they probably wont diagnose or even look for a kidney stone in someone your age. Hell even after i had them twice more, and had to get laser surgery, they always just said "Oh youre too young, you shouldnt be getting them."

Have you eaten any chinese milk products lately?

Zeon on
    btworbanner.jpg
    Check out my band, click the banner.
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    No, no chinese milk products ever.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Trus wrote: »
    Have you been really thirsty since you started peeing more? Obviously you would be drinking more water to replace the liquid lost, but have you been thirsty beyond that? If you have I think diabetes is a safe bet and you should get to a doctor.

Yeah, hyperglycemia makes you thirsty as shit and pee like crazy. Watch for headaches too. If you have all these.... ehhh.
    If it starts getting worse (your blood sugar gets higher) you'll end up feeling super shitty
    Also no one in my immediate or distant family has had diabetes ever. It was a bit of a surprise for me.

RubberAC on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I'll get myself tested I think as well.

Endomatic on
  • Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I noticed something else weird this morning - about a minute after I went to the bathroom I felt the urge to pee again. It was as close to immediate as you can get, and about as strong as my urge to pee minutes before, when my bladder was actually full. There was maybe one short jet of urine to come from this, but again - this time about eight minutes later - the urge returned. I feel like I've got to pee even when there's like nothing to pee out.

That sounds like a UTI, not sure about the other symptoms though. If it's driving you nuts try to make sure to hydrate a ton and you can try chugging cranberry juice.

Hypatia on