As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3rd Party Accessories Thread: The N64->Wii/GC adapter you wanted is here! (Post #61)

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited February 2010 in Games and Technology
It's practically unavoidable to walk into a game store or a store's gaming section without crossing paths with a shelf full of all kinds of plastic things we've never heard of before and only have a vague idea of what they do.

For example, there's all the countless plastic Wiimote attachments. Some are said increase your cooking ability by turning your Wiimote into something resembling a Swiss Army Knife,. Some let you go fishing like you're Denis Leary in the movie "Two if by Sea" where you can shoot your fish dead if you can't catch it normally, and don't forget to make your gun look pretty beforehand. Then you can improve your boxing skills with the added realism of boxing gloves, allowing you to punch thin air like never before! And, of course, there are some that add realism to your monster slayings, probably when you physically attack your television.

But surely there must be something that's actually good among all the crap, or at least has a good enough concept that it's "good enough". I know for Wii, there's the Nyko Perfect Shot that a lot of people swear by as their plastic gun of choice for zombie slaying, but the one Denis Leary Special linked earlier seems to be the exact same gun, ignoring slight cosmetic changes.

And on the PS3 side, there's an attachable LCD screen that fits with the contours of the console itself and supports HDMI, practically turning it into a "portable" Blu-Ray player.

There's also a guitar that works with almost every guitar game ever made. Everything in the timespan from Guitar Hero 1 to Rock Band. All for a price that's cheaper than the 1st party models that only work with one set of games. It's kinda hard to argue with that unless it's widely known that the build quality is shoddy. But we wouldn't know that if people haven't tried it. :P

So let's fix that! Let's share our experiences with these accessories and figure out which ones are worth our money.

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    While we're at this, my Rock Band pedal for the 360 broke. Does anyone know if there's a good one that exists, possibly a metal pedal, maybe an official one? Or a third-party pedal that's liscensed by EA?

Djiem on
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow this is perfect! Was looking for opinions on a FragFX.

I realize thats the version 2 model, but how was version 1? Also, the timing for that thing is awesome, as I want it for Killzone 2. (Comes in February.)

Gibb on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I was in Fry's earlier and saw a Wiimote attachment bundle.

For Trauma Center.

Trauma Center.

A game where wasting time to take off and put on those attachments would guarantee failure.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gameshark of all people have a licensed Fender Bass Guitar for Rock Band:
    RBL9806.gif

# Exclusive officially licensed Bass for Rock Band
    # Compatible with Rock Band and Rock Band 2 games
    # 84% to scale compared to real Precision Bass
    # Dual/Split Strum Bar for two-fingered Bass action
    # Doubles as an in-game Guitar with Whammy Knob & solo Fret Buttons
    # Premium-quality Strum Bar lasts over 2.5 million cycles

That's right - the strum bar is split into two parts so that you can strum like a real bassist!

:P

slash000 on
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Slash, that looks incredible, especially for people who actually play bass.

Etch on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Real (metal) bassists use three fingers. Or four.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Gibb wrote: »

I realize thats the version 2 model, but how was version 1? Also, the timing for that thing is awesome, as I want it for Killzone 2. (Comes in February.)

Yeah I was looking at one of those the design seemed like such an awsome idea for the pc to console conversion for fps games. But after digging around online checking out some of the buzz on forums I found preaty much overwhelmingly negative talk on it. Basicly the mouse was unresponsive and the controler module was uncomfortable and hard to use.

Edit and yeah I was wanting to get one of those bass guitars for RB but havn't been able to find a ps3 version of it.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    EtchEtch Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    So if you're not playing metal you're not really playing bass?

=P

I'm not a super player though, so I only use two, and most of the time I can't see where using three would be more helpful anyway.

But I think we can agree this works waaaaay better than one strum bar

Etch on
  • Options
    FaffelFaffel Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Etch wrote: »
    So if you're not playing metal you're not really playing bass?

=P

I'm not a super player though, so I only use two, and most of the time I can't see where using three would be more helpful anyway.

But I think we can agree this works waaaaay better than one strum bar

If you're not playing metal you're not playing ANYTHING! THRASH TIL DEATH!!!!

Seriously, though. That could be a fun peripheral.

Faffel on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Malechai wrote: »

Yeah I was looking at one of those the design seemed like such an awsome idea for the pc to console conversion for fps games. But after digging around online checking out some of the buzz on forums I found preaty much overwhelmingly negative talk on it. Basicly the mouse was unresponsive and the controler module was uncomfortable and hard to use.

I have one, and this describes it perfectly.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TiemlerTiemler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Only decent third-party accessory I've ever owned for a console is my React wired PS2 controller. It's closer in size to a 360 controller than the Dual Shock 2. Nice texture, comfy grips, a good D-pad, and R2/L2 buttons that more closely resemble triggers. Only drawbacks are kinda stiff R3/L3 and awkwardly-positioned Select/Start buttons.

My 360 rests atop a black cookie sheet with four black wooden checkers under the rubber feet, in the interests of ventilation, but that hardly counts.

Tiemler on
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Thanks for backing up my second hand hearsay with first hand experience. Yeah I couldn't justify droping 90 bucks on one with out finding some talk on how well it works. Thought it would have been awsome for Resistance online play.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Djiem wrote: »
    While we're at this, my Rock Band pedal for the 360 broke. Does anyone know if there's a good one that exists, possibly a metal pedal, maybe an official one? Or a third-party pedal that's liscensed by EA?

Rock Pedal

Apparently it's quite good quality and I can attest to the fact that the guy isn't a dick (very polite when I inquired about it). I've got the Omega Pedal right now and it's good, but was expensive to get into Canada.

The metal pedal that comes with the Ion Drum Rocker does not suck. At $400 it may seem overpriced - but with the dollar plus $70US shipping and handling it's actually cheaper through FS for Canadians than bringing the Ion over the border.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    GibbGibb Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Strange considering the mostly positive IGN review. Ah well, hopefully people will like the v2.

Gibb on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

That's right - the strum bar is split into two parts so that you can strum like a real bassist!

It's MadCatz, not Gameshark. Also, what they don't tell you is that the Whammy Knob is VERY far away from the strum bar(s). Still, it's pretty good. Now if MC would ever release their Telecaster guitar (Red body, wired, split strum bar; otherwise, it's pretty much a wired Strat) that would be nice.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Threepio wrote: »
    Djiem wrote: »

Rock Pedal

Apparently it's quite good quality and I can attest to the fact that the guy isn't a dick (very polite when I inquired about it). I've got the Omega Pedal right now and it's good, but was expensive to get into Canada.

The metal pedal that comes with the Ion Drum Rocker does not suck. At $400 it may seem overpriced - but with the dollar plus $70US shipping and handling it's actually cheaper through FS for Canadians than bringing the Ion over the border.

Damn, that's more expensive than I expected, but thanks, I'll look into those.

Djiem on
  • Options
    wasted pixelswasted pixels Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Nocren wrote: »

It's MadCatz, not Gameshark. Also, what they don't tell you is that the Whammy Knob is VERY far away from the strum bar(s). Still, it's pretty good. Now if MC would ever release their Telecaster guitar (Red body, wired, split strum bar; otherwise, it's pretty much a wired Strat) that would be nice.

That's GameShark.com he linked to. I think the context here was "[store] has an [item in stock]", not "[company] has an [item they make]".
    In either case, slash000 is a cool dude, thus I make with the excuses.

wasted pixels on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    RBL9806.gif

Is there a PS3 version of this?

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2008
    RBL9806.gif

Is there a PS3 version of this?

Unless my googlefu fails me, no there isn't.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    NewblarNewblar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

I ended up purchasing one about a year ago as FPS on console with a normal controller is not only pretty much impossible for me but also gives me motion sickness. The Fragfx does make console FPS playable for me, and while it is closer to keyboard/mouse play then a gamepad, its still pretty far away.

THE GOOD
    Closest you can get to mouse/keyboard functionality.
    The mouse actually tracks decently, its not great, but good enough.
    There is a wheel that allows you to adjust your sensitivity on the fly.
    Frag button that slows down sensitivity that is useful for games that don't slow your sensitivity while sniping.
    While I personally hate the movement stick most people would probably like it. You can rest it in its cradle or just hold it in your left hand.
    The pad is mounted on a hard piece of plastic so its possible to play with it rested on your lap or pretty much any surface.

THE BAD
    The buttons are actually really stiff and really unresponsive. I fairly often hold down the fire button and it can take a second or two to actually start firing. Kind of a deal breaker.
    Turning is still going to take forever.
    Your triangle/square/etc... buttons are all down the left side of your mouse and set up in a way that it can be a little difficult to choose the right one. This probably isn't as much of an issue if you use it alot, but I only use mine once in awhile so I often hit the wrong button.

If it were cheaper I would recommend giving it a try, but unless you really can't play with a gamepad I probably wouldn't. From what I have seen the version 2 model that is being release is quite a bit more expensive too. If you do get it, keep in mind that by default the version 1 was wired, the wireless version was harder to find, and more expensive.

Newblar on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mad Catz Rock Band 2 Cymbal Expansion Kit

There are 1, 2, and 3 packs. I personally picked up the two pack and love it. They are very responsive but more importantly it just feels awesome to bang on them. I especially like how quiet they are. So far they are holding up very well to my beating on them. I am very happy that I got these and the RB2 drumset instead of the WT one. Probably the best 3rd party product I've purchased.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Are there any Wii third party "Classic Controllers" that plug into the Gamecube port? And no, I don't mean Nintendo's Wavebird.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    3sblackdevwp0.jpg

Everyone needs to own one of these! FORCE FEEDBACK TO THE EXTREME!

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

Amen! Three of us got vests at PAX. It's something you really have to try to appreciate.

Here's hoping that Microsoft eventually gets on those 360 drivers.

Also, I'm dying to try modding it with a high-powered compressor... 8-)

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Wow, I couldn't imagine that portable screen for the PS3. The PS3 is pretty damn heavy, prolly kill someone with it. Maybe try again when (and if) the PS3 gets slimed down.

Besides, can't you just get a laptop these days with a BR player drive?

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Avenrosh wrote: »

Amen! Three of us got vests at PAX. It's something you really have to try to appreciate.

Is that the one with the tiny pneumatics?

I tried that out at a con.

When I fired a minigun with it on, I FELT LIKE A TINY GOD.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    yalborap wrote: »

When firing a rocket launcher in the tech demo kicked my shoulder back appropriately, I knew I had to have one.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2008
    I wonder whatever happened with Madcatz making Wiimotes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Do any of those Rock Band pedal replacements ship to Europe for a reasonable price?

I've looked on Ebay for pedals, but the shipping costs as much as the pedal - and the whole kaboodle ends up more expensive than a new set of drums!

Failing that, anyone know when the Rock Band 2 peripherals are being released in Europe? Strange that the game would be released without them.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The vast majority of 3rd party controllers I've seen and used are utter shit, but my brother has a wireless PS2 controller made by Logitech that I think is actually a bit better made than the Dual Shock 2. It's pretty much lag-free, comfortable to hold, and the buttons have a nice solid click without being too stiff.

Here's a link to one at Amazon.

I also used Nyko component cables for the Wii. Decent picture and build quality, plus they were much cheaper than the official cables.

Norfair on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    I was seriously considering getting this Classic Controller:

http://reviews.cnet.com/game-accessories/nyko-wing-wireless-classic/4505-10110_7-33244320.html

nyko-wing-controller-20080828024814062-000.jpg

for xmas.

I still want to, I think.

Cnet seems to have loved it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited December 2008

When firing a rocket launcher in the tech demo kicked my shoulder back appropriately, I knew I had to have one.

I saw a commercial for the vest on TV today.....worst commercial ever made. The vest is so rad though, as long as they dont add groin hits into the equation. Now all we need is full virtual 3D with goggles and true life peripheral vision and head tracking and we have ourselves a recipe for some wicked good times.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    AM I READING THIS THING CORRECTLY?! I can use the Wii's Classic Controller with this thing to play on a Gamecube?
    http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-g4-49-en-70-34yd.html

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    360 controllers with good dpads.

For the fucking love of god, somebody please tell me one exists.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2008
    They do. as part of a pack in with a new system.

In europe.

When one of those soccer games got released they put out a new controller with a better d-pad. But like I stated, it only came with NEW systems.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2008

I saw a commercial for the vest on TV today.....worst commercial ever made. The vest is so rad though, as long as they dont add groin hits into the equation. Now all we need is full virtual 3D with goggles and true life peripheral vision and head tracking and we have ourselves a recipe for some wicked good times.

TN Games is going to be coming out with a helmet addition (HTX helmet in '09, apparently) with hit detection as well as CO2 vents near the ears to simulate bullets flying by... The big upgrades I'm looking forward to, though, are a quieter compressor built onto the vest, and 360 compatibility.

3rd Space needs it's own thread, now they have released the source for the drivers.

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Nocren wrote: »
    They do. as part of a pack in with a new system.

In europe.

When one of those soccer games got released they put out a new controller with a better d-pad. But like I stated, it only came with NEW systems.

Apparently they aren't much better.

Otherwise I would have fucking bought the whole pack! Evil Multifarious is right, someone needs to make one.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    The only third party accessory I ever had good fortune with was Logitech Wireless Controller for PS2, which still gets use today, despite being a bit worn.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2008
    Anyone tried the Nyko wireless guitars? They are stupid cheap compared to the GH3 LP's but that makes them oh so tempting.. (Wii version)

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2008
    Okay, question time.

1) There are all kinds of controller adaptors like the one I linked above. Are there any issues with those kind of things? Lag input problems? Physical durability? Reliability? I've just never seen anyone use something like that, so I'm curious to know if they're any good.

2) If I had a Game Boy Player, could I use a GBA as the controller if I had the GBA-GCN cable?

3) Arcade sticks for Nintendo systems between SNES to Wii: Any recommendations? The only ones I'm halfway familiar with is the Soul Calibur 2 stick and the Wii Hori Fighting Stick. Can anyone give their experiences with these sticks? Beyond that, what else is there?

Thanks.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS: