As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bigoted charity?

Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
edited December 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
See the link for the full story

So to summarize, Shinerama is a nationwide, Canadian post-secondary institute charity fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis research. It's an ongoing annual tradition at many campuses (my own included) and is a great way to raise awareness and money for a terrible hereditary disease. As it stands, Carleton University appears to have cancelled their Shinerama for some pretty suspect reasons:
According to Bergamini, the motion read that orientation week strives to be inclusive and volunteers should feel like their fundraising efforts are serving a diverse community.

However, the motion went on to say that "and whereas cystic fibrosis has been recently revealed to only affect white people and primarily men, be it resolved that: CUSA discontinue its support of this campaign."

While I completely understand the desire to campaign for a movement with a more 'international' face, such as cancer research, it smacks of ignorance and racial bias to suggest that cystic fibrosis primarily affects males (it doesn't) and is simply a 'white man's disease'. While it is true that the allele responsible is found primarily in person's of northern european descent, is not the aim of such charitable acts to identify and aid suffering humans based upon their nature of being a fellow human in need, rather then a person of a certain ethnicity? How would the committee have responded in an alternative scenario, perhaps to a suggestion that they desist in raising money for the Sick Cell Society due to it's nature as a 'black man's disease'? As identified in the article, cystic fibrosis affects populations throughout the world rather then exclusively in the Western Hemisphere. I know there is almost always some kind of personal interest involved in charity "Celebrities only get involved in fundraising if a loved one gets cancer/whatever", but should we be playing this kind of politics?

Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
camo_sig.png
Beren39 on

• Smug DucklingSmug Duckling Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, this is retarded. I have a feeling there's something more behind this. Surely they would look this shit up?!?

OLOL let's not fight AIDS, it's a black man disease! Wouldn't want to be racist.

Smug Duckling on
    smugduckling,pc,days.png
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yeah, this is retarded. I have a feeling there's something more behind this. Surely they would look this shit up?!?

OLOL let's not fight AIDS, it's a black man disease! Wouldn't want to be racist.

To be fair, it was what looks to be the Student's Union that did this. And student groups are notoriously stupid.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Aegis wrote: »

To be fair, it was what looks to be the Student's Union that did this. And student groups are notoriously stupid.
    Is it terrible that the moment you wrote this I thought "oh wait, now I understand why it happened".

Because yes, student groups are incredibly stupid.

electricitylikesme on
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Is it terrible that the moment you wrote this I thought "oh wait, now I understand why it happened".

Well, Carleton isn't known for their genetics program or anything, but you think a committee, even a student body one, would, I don't know, employ some google-fu at least. I think it's also the idea that, even with the false 'facts' about CF, they don't wish to raise money for any 'white folks' disease.

Beren39 on
    Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
    camo_sig.png
  • JeilanJeilan Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Ugh, I go to Carleton and this is definitely not a reflection of how the student body at large feels.

Jeilan on
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I would be interested to know if this school (or more precisely, the Student Union) is majority minorities or majority caucasian, just to see if it's good old fashioned racism or White Man's Guilt.
    Also, yes, this is retarded.

Rent on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    CFtreatmentvest2.JPG

God damned white men and their cystic fibrosis.

Premier kakos on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jeilan wrote: »
    Ugh, I go to Carleton and this is definitely not a reflection of how the student body at large feels.
    No one who knows student organizations are stupid thinks the student body at large feels anything like what said organization says.

This is why I pretty much didn't care when the Howard government killed student unions.

electricitylikesme on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    i'm more interested in how they pulled the 'only effects white men' out of their ass. cause i love magic tricks.

Dunadan019 on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I wished they'd hurry up and let t3h gayz into the military so the student Senate will shut the fuck up and give my ROTC detachment some money.

We run in fucking marathons to feed the homeless and lo, they refuse to give money because of this.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    *facepalm*

Yeah, I really don't miss student politics either. Its just depressing to note that that's where most of our adult politicians started out...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wished they'd hurry up and let t3h gayz into the military so the student Senate will shut the fuck up and give my ROTC detachment some money.

We run in fucking marathons to feed the homeless and lo, they refuse to give money because of this.

Somehow my heart fails to overflow with sympathy. Ten points for Uniondor.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Jeilan wrote: »
    No one who knows student organizations are stupid thinks the student body at large feels anything like what said organization says.

This is why I pretty much didn't care when the Howard government killed student unions.

This is slightly off topic.

But I listened to my uni lectures to help me remember them via recording.

And the first five minutes for like half the semester had some student jackoff telling us how awesome he was going to make shit I didn't care about or even know about, along with the standard "make centerlink give us more money" bullshit. It was always really loud and I had to snatch off my headphones every time or go deaf.

The best one, was when one of them tried to employ a freudian concept in the class because she was adressing psych students. When she leaves my lecturer is like "See! Everybody thinks about Freud first!" *angry face* (He hates Freud)

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited November 2008
    Mahnmut wrote: »

Yes, because an ROTC detachment can somehow convince the Joint Chiefs of Staff, The SecDef, and pretty much the entire Executive Branch to change a Military Reg they have absolutely no control of, and should be punished by their college, which ironically most likely gets huge federal funding in the first place because of that ROTC detachment being stationed there.
    STFU about things you know absolutely nothing about.

Rent on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

O_o

You don't think a job program/club that does public works should get any funding?

Quid on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Wow. This has got to be one of the most retarded things I've ever heard happen. And I hear a lot of retarded things.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

You don't think a job program/club that does public works should get any funding?
    I think that (unless there's something I'm not seeing from a legal standpoint here) student groups are free to decide not to support any organizations efforts for whatever reasons they collectively decide on.

It's messed up that the ROTC has to deal with that because the DoD and such can't get their shit together and end the half-assed bigotry that they're currently pushing, but that's life.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This is fucking stupid.

Shinerama is a brilliant drive to take advantage of drunken idiocy and male posturing and other college mating rituals, turning it all into money for medical research.

If they want to support something else, they should lobby for that; I would understand wanting to support research for a more widespread disease. But cystic fibrosis is a fucking nasty disease, and certainly it's better to use Shinerama for that than nothing.

Evil Multifarious on
  • roywhitbyroywhitby Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    I still remember frosh week at Carleton staying up all night and then going downtown and chanting and dancing for donations. It was a good time. To cancel it is a joke. Of course that is CUSA for you.

Carleton! Where the K stands for Quality! (It sounds better when you speak it, not when you type it).

roywhitby on
    sig.gif
    edited November 2008
    Shit -- entitled much, the three of you? Kids in army training club can absolutely suck it up if the student union doesn't approve of the military's discriminatory policies. It's not like the ROTC is totally flat broke, is it? I assume we're talking about the cute little club/activity funds SUs typically manage.

edit: I'm only feeding this derail because there doesn't seem to be much to say about the primary topic

Mahnmut on
    edited November 2008
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »

O_o

I think that (unless there's something I'm not seeing from a legal standpoint here) student groups are free to decide not to support any organizations efforts for whatever reasons they collectively decide on.

It's messed up that the ROTC has to deal with that because the DoD and such can't get their shit together and end the half-assed bigotry that they're currently pushing, but that's life.
    I agree that they're legally free to do what they want. I was adressing the bolded part where they seem glad for it.

Quid on
    edited November 2008
    Again, not exactly the persecution of the Vietnam veterans. If I were on a SU and playing with ROTC funding, I think I'd prefer some arrangement where the local ROTC gets monies in exchange for denouncing DADT in some way (and if ROTCs are too lockstep for that to be possible, fuck 'em -- they're close enough to the military that some accountability is warranted).

Mahnmut on
    edited November 2008
    Again, not exactly the persecution of the Vietnam veterans. If I were on a SU and playing with ROTC funding, I think I'd prefer some arrangement where the local ROTC gets monies in exchange for denouncing DADT in some way (and if ROTCs are too lockstep for that to be possible, fuck 'em -- they're close enough to the military that some accountability is warranted).

You do realize it's illegal to do what you're saying people in ROTC should do, right?
    Like, as in breaking-UCMJ-thrown-in-prison illegal, right?
    I knew you were dumb but wow, jesus.

Rent on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2008
    CFtreatmentvest2.JPG

God damned white men and their cystic fibrosis.

I laughed at this, just because it's pretty evident how stupid this decision was.

Someone should e-mail your post to the head of that student council or whatever it was.

JustinSane07 on
    edited November 2008
    O_o

The point of ROTC is to prepare people for military careers, not make political statements.

Quid on
  • YarYar Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Mahnmut, your point about ROTC is mean-spirited and ridiculous and somewhat off-topic.

Anyway, despite the fact that I believe "diversity" is disgustingly over-emphasized, I can't completely disagree with the SU's right to choose which charities to support and their opinion that they'd rather support charities that don't, for whatever reason, tend to help one race more than another.

Yar on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Student political groups tend to be dumb because smart people who want to be involved in politics while in college get involved in big boy politics.

Yeah, my girlfriend (who often takes care of CF kids who have received lung transplants, and still rarely make it to 30) will be annoyed when she gets this link

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited November 2008
    More disturbing to me was how much of the subsequent discussion, as reported in the article, was focused on whether or not all caucasians have white skin. The implication seems to be that it's ok to dis white-skinned people, but not caucasians, because some of them have darker skin or are Asian. WTF?

Yar on
  • XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Well I'm not sure if you are just talking about racism, I think I'll throw in this too.

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#MZvsP18xmNXpVDwvCRQ

Stupid if you ask me.

Xtarath on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2008
    They apparently reversed their decision.

Premier kakos on
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Not sure where they got the idea that CF affects males more than females, but that is completely and totally wrong.

And I dunno who the hell thought that would be an appropriate motion to put forward. Pretty pathetic.

tsmvengy on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mithrandir86Mithrandir86 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Generally, I just want to take out student leaders and beat them with a heavy spiked mace. Over and over again. They do absolutely nothing. And they're nasty, nasty people. Most student groups are just generally groups of friends who believe that they should get the position because it's their 'turn'.

They have these useless plebicites which they organize, count the votes and campaign for. So you have "fair" election, where the people who are putting on the election are advertising that you should vote No so as not to be guilty of going against the group think.

The student government at Victoria University at UofT banned the Canadian Armed Forces from advertising at the Career Fair because they "commit war crimes".

The student government at York University banned funding for pro-life clubs, saying that "they respect the debate, but the debate should be done from a pro-choice perspective". I'm probably the most pro-Abortion person there is, but even I think this the most retarded shit.

Goddamn it I fucking hate student government.

Mithrandir86 on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Proto wrote: »

Remarkable how a little media attention can make them change their tune, or at least backpeddle on their reasoning. I've always been pretty much indifferent to student government, they're pretty ineffectual by definition.

Beren39 on
    camo_sig.png
    edited November 2008
    I still think the intent of the motion was to rotate their participation in charities to effect a broader range of issues. The "white men" thing was tacked on rather irresponsibly, but I still think that the motion was their right and makes some amount of sense.

Yar on
    edited November 2008
    Rent wrote: »

You do realize it's illegal to do what you're saying people in ROTC should do, right?
    Like, as in breaking-UCMJ-thrown-in-prison illegal, right?
    I knew you were dumb but wow, jesus.

Right then; refer to parentheses. The government denies funding to groups that discriminate in some ways; this seems an appropriate model for student government as well. I'm out.

Mahnmut on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008

Amen to that, though our union wasn't too bad while I was there. We were merely a cruel and uncaring union that left students to continue dissecting cats . . . that was literally the highlight of the year. I am not joking. Well, that and we went broke.

Which brings me to the point I wanted to make. . . I kind of dispute the notion that the union is being "bigoted" or racist (because they'll just tell you that you can't be racist against white people, which has a smidgen of merit). This is just the typical far-left yahoos who populate student unions taking things way too far in their fight against "imperialism" and "oppression". Speaking of which, apparently the student union at Queens in Kingston has started employing some sort of "conversation police". Not quite sure what it's all about though.

Andrew_Jay on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes you can be fucking racist against white people

Here's an example: "White people suffer from this disease so fuck them "

nexuscrawler on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    Yes you can be fucking racist against white people

Here's an example: "White people suffer from this disease so fuck them "
    B-b-but, all white people, as a class, are inherently privileged. To give money to a charity that helps them is to just give into the dominant discourse that the oppressor is entitled to a greater share of society's resources, which it has stolen from working people, yada, yada, yada . . .

Is what they would say to that.

Or something similarly foolish, more or less.

I'm afraid I'm not quite hitting Poe's Law-levels of mimicry here.

Andrew_Jay on
  • AS_hellionAS_hellion Registered User regular
    edited November 2008
    This was such a dumb thing to begin with. I'm curious as what they would have done if the disease had a predilection for some other group, like Tay-Sachs or sickle-cell anemia or stomach cancer.

AS_hellion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]